Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Serperoth posted:

There's an argument to be made about armies spawning at the duchy capital, rather than each individual duchy, at least, but I'm not sure about other reasons.

It also makes it considerably easier to manage factions, because it means far fewer people you need to placate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I like having duchies because there are less vassals to worry about. Keeping four dukes happy is easier than twenty counts.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's irrelevant, the more powerful counts will gobble up the smaller ones and make duchies on their own if you won't.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

duralict posted:

It also makes it considerably easier to manage factions, because it means far fewer people you need to placate.

Not really. Once you get a kingdom you have to gently caress up pretty bad before all the individual counties manage to organize into factions you actually have to take seriously. And bribing them is cheap.

DStecks posted:

It's irrelevant, the more powerful counts will gobble up the smaller ones and make duchies on their own if you won't.

If you let them? It seems there's usually maybe one count who starts that kind of trouble at a time. All I've had to do so far is not do something stupid like give the titles all to the same families. No one has actually managed to put up one duchy yet in a hundred years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How do you form the Empire of Tartaria? I've been in control of what must be 75% of the counties and still never been given the option.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

How do you form the Empire of Tartaria? I've been in control of what must be 75% of the counties and still never been given the option.

I think the generic Empire requires you to have 80% of the counties and 2 Kingdom titles (or any other Empire title). If you click through the "de jure" box from a county inside Tartaria, you should be able to click on the empire title and mouse over create to see what's missing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BioMe posted:

Actually, is there a good reason to let duchies exist even if you aren't elective?

Yes. Only dukes on up generate tech points.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I'm not quite sure why this works out this way succession-wise, if someone can explain it:

I have several counties and baronies in England, along with a son and younger daughter, with primogeniture succession. My wife was a princess of a kingdom, not matrilinearly.

My son was set to inherit my titles and be my heir, but I noticed I was able to press my wife's claim on the kingdom. I won, and she became the Queen and controller of that kingdom. Now my son will inherit that kingdom, and my daughter will inherit my baronies, and my heir is now the daughter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like having dukes (or satraps, I suppose), personally. Makes my map prettier.

Topic of my earlier problem that started this whole discussion, my vassals have started supporting my daughter instead of my half-brother now. Just took them some time to come around I suppose. Man, the girl's got good stats already; 10/9/9/8/9 and she's only 10. Plenty of time to get even more traits. (I know this isn't nearly as impressive as some people's eugenics results, but it's the best I've done so far. And it's probably only going to get better; husband's going to be Strong so if I can get that and Bright or even Genius on one of their kids...)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 3, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BioMe posted:

If you let them? It seems there's usually maybe one count who starts that kind of trouble at a time. All I've had to do so far is not do something stupid like give the titles all to the same families. No one has actually managed to put up one duchy yet in a hundred years.

Even then, some counties just have better holdings, and they'll be the ones who come out on top. Never forget that the AI is still playing the same game you are.

FAKE EDIT: Just realized you're saying you got it to work. Welp. The main drawback then, I would think, is reduced prestige from not having any vassal dukes, buuuut that could be entirely offset by the accumulated prestige of all the counts directly under you.

What realm are you playing in, out of curiosity?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm currently a Norse pagan trying to reform the religion before my ruler dies, so I can change my inheritance. I'm stuck at around 40 moral authority with a 70 year old ruler. What is the quickest way to boost my moral authority before dying?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Freakus posted:

I'm not quite sure why this works out this way succession-wise, if someone can explain it:

I have several counties and baronies in England, along with a son and younger daughter, with primogeniture succession. My wife was a princess of a kingdom, not matrilinearly.

My son was set to inherit my titles and be my heir, but I noticed I was able to press my wife's claim on the kingdom. I won, and she became the Queen and controller of that kingdom. Now my son will inherit that kingdom, and my daughter will inherit my baronies, and my heir is now the daughter.

Try saving and reloading.

I don't know why, but sometimes succession fucks up for no discernible reason, but the error goes away on reloading.

I've also found this to work with the "original portrait cultures have two noses" glitch. Any word on that being fixed soon?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chichevache posted:

I'm currently a Norse pagan trying to reform the religion before my ruler dies, so I can change my inheritance. I'm stuck at around 40 moral authority with a 70 year old ruler. What is the quickest way to boost my moral authority before dying?

Seize any holy site not controlled by a Norse pagan and repeatedly raid / siege-down temples.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Raid + county conquest all of Ireland. Easy 20-30% MA from that alone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

FAKE EDIT: Just realized you're saying you got it to work. Welp. The main drawback then, I would think, is reduced prestige from not having any vassal dukes, buuuut that could be entirely offset by the accumulated prestige of all the counts directly under you.

The main drawback is your realm will be backwards as hell because only you are generating tech points.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

The main drawback is your realm will be backwards as hell because only you are generating tech points.

Aha, good catch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SeaTard posted:

Raid + county conquest all of Ireland. Easy 20-30% MA from that alone.

I'll give this a shot. If I'm lucky I can get a year or two more out of my king. Plus I still need to murder my oldest son since his younger brother is a god.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just got the Old Gods. Starting in 867 as a custom designed count every character dies within the first 30 days. No notice or anything, just dead, game over. Three different counties in Ireland, reload the saves over and over, same result.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, I've become empress of Persia. How many kingdoms can I hold as an empress/emperor without pissing my vassals off? Two, like duchies as a king?

Also, is there a way to choose to plot specific title revocations or are you stuck with whatever the list gives you? My demense increased so I want the last province in the second duchy I control, but the guy there isn't a traitor and I don't feel like murdering him and his three kids for one piece of land.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 3, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strudel Man posted:

The only problem with horse archers is that I'm pretty sure the cavalry leader trait doesn't apply to them.

The problem with horse archers is that Persian culture groups (which I think includes actual Persians, Kurds, and maybe one or two others?) don't get the awesome special tactic for horse archers that Altaic culture groups do. You can try to keep a walled garden of Turkish vassals or something but ugh.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, I've become empress of Persia. How many kingdoms can I hold as an empress/emperor without pissing my vassals off? Two, like duchies as a king?

Also, is there a way to choose to plot specific title revocations or are you stuck with whatever the list gives you? My demense increased so I want the last province in the second duchy I control, but the guy there isn't a traitor and I don't feel like murdering him and his three kids for one piece of land.

Don't bother to form the kingdoms unless you're going to hand them out to vassal kings it's just more of a headache with succession.

You can plot to revoke counties in your capital duchy, but I don't think you can do it in other duchy titles you hold. Anyway, if your demense size increased try building new holdings in your capital duchy because you'll get the "in capital" bonus to your levy and make more in the long run. The beginning castle upgrades are fairly cheap so you'll match whatever that holding is in terms of levy fairly quickly (this is a lot easier as a norse since making money is so much easier for them).

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
It's been a long, long time since I played CK2 (or any other videogames, for that matter) and want to get back into it. What's a good beginner country for learning to play Muslims or Vikings?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ithle01 posted:

Don't bother to form the kingdoms unless you're going to hand them out to vassal kings it's just more of a headache with succession.

You can plot to revoke counties in your capital duchy, but I don't think you can do it in other duchy titles you hold. Anyway, if your demense size increased try building new holdings in your capital duchy because you'll get the "in capital" bonus to your levy and make more in the long run. The beginning castle upgrades are fairly cheap so you'll match whatever that holding is in terms of levy fairly quickly (this is a lot easier as a norse since making money is so much easier for them).

For the kingdom thing, I'm asking because I already have the kingdoms and am getting a penalty for it (I think). Handing out the lesser ones was indeed the plan. That's why I need to know how many I can hold before getting the opinion malus. (Specifically, I'm getting a -45 for "Elector Titles Held". Might be because I control so much stuff in an elective monarchy, I suppose.)

Also, for the county thing, I'm looking at the list, and the province I want to revoke, which is in a duchy I directly control, isn't there, but three outside of the duchies I control are. It is rather odd, though all three that are there are outside of their de jure liege's control so that might be it. (Though strangely a fourth that's also outside its de jure duchy is not there, so I don't know what exactly qualifies these for this.) I'm wondering if there's a way to start a plot for this instead of just going by what's in the Intrigue screen's menu, though, like how you can plot to assassinate pretty much anyone.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

It's been a long, long time since I played CK2 (or any other videogames, for that matter) and want to get back into it. What's a good beginner country for learning to play Muslims or Vikings?

For vikings I recommend the Petty Kingdom of Ostlandet: you're surrounded by much weaker Norse states, meaning that it's an easy start, and you already have a number of goals (both short-term and long-term) readily apparent and easily realized: form the Kingdom of Norway, reform the Norse faith (since three out of five of the Norse holy sites are in Scandinavia) and eventually work up to creating the Empire of Scandinavia. Once you've got a stable empire and are viking god-king you can easily start expanding further, gobbling up the rest of Europe like no-one's business.

Muslims I don't have that much experience with, but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Seljuks having a decadence revolt? Awesome. Suddenly de jure lands of Georgia are completely separate? gently caress yeah. Some extra money lying around for something like this? Get the gently caress in.

Wait for my next post as I explain how I reclaimed all the de jure land of Georgia and then got eaten by the Mongols.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man. Why does the dang Caliph have to hold so much of what remains of Persia? I want to become the Saoshyant but no one wants to kill the bastard and I'd rather not sink several thousand prestige or take a Diplomacy penalty.

Maybe I can incite some revolts and snatch the land up before he puts them down. I'm definitely not waiting decades for this; he's got four different partial duchies I need and my current truce with him was formed less than a year ago. Half the holy wars I need to declare will be against him (or his heirs/revolting vassals); there are four other places I need, each one with a separate ruler (though the two I do have truces with are blocking off the two I don't), so I can rip through them soon enough. (Edit: Actually I'll need only three wars with the Caliph; what I thought were two separate counties are in fact all part of Baghdad, I just control the part between them so looking at it outside of de jure duchies mode made it look like two separate things.)

Oh, and the Justanid story's come to a disappointing apparent end; Justan II ended up being absorbed by one of his neighbors after I took everything but Gilan from him. When I targeted his neighbor I went for the bigger section that didn't have Gilan in it, hoping he'd still be around after I finished that war. Instead, his liege took his land after I took his and just booted him out of his court entirely; now he and his family are courtiers to some dumbass down in India, and because of his religion he won't accept an invitation to my court. My goal of converting the Justanids back to Zoroastrianism and putting them in charge of Tabristan is going to take a lot more effort than I originally thought.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 3, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I invite a dude to my court who has a claim on a title, is there any way I can press his claim?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What are the good mods for this? The OP seems pretty out of date, despite the title being for the current expansion. Is the Wizmod successor any good?

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Bold Robot posted:

If I invite a dude to my court who has a claim on a title, is there any way I can press his claim?

Yes.
He will only be your vassal if the title is lower than yours and you are the de jure liege.

Ratpick posted:

For vikings I recommend the Petty Kingdom of Ostlandet: you're surrounded by much weaker Norse states, meaning that it's an easy start, and you already have a number of goals (both short-term and long-term) readily apparent and easily realized: form the Kingdom of Norway, reform the Norse faith (since three out of five of the Norse holy sites are in Scandinavia) and eventually work up to creating the Empire of Scandinavia. Once you've got a stable empire and are viking god-king you can easily start expanding further, gobbling up the rest of Europe like no-one's business.

Muslims I don't have that much experience with, but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
Second ostlandet. Its such a fun start.

I'm currently playing as the ummayed dynasty the 867 start. Once you can buy piety you can steamroll europe. I turned Rome into a merchant republic.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

If it's a strong claim then yes, always (unless it's one of your vassal's titles I guess). You go to the top level liege of whatever the title is (so for the county of Aargau you have to attack the Holy Roman Emperor in the 1066 start, say). Weak claims have specific restrictions, in that you can only press them against women/people who have regents, or the guy is 1st, 2nd or 3rd in line to the title anyway.

Note that on pressing it they do not automatically become your vassal unless: 1) they're of your dynasty, 2) the title you're pushing it for is part of your de jure territory, or 3) they're already landed in your realm. And you can never vassalise someone of the same/higher rank than you, so as the king of England, you can't push some kinsman's claim to Scotland and have him become your vassal. If you're the Holy Roman Emperor and do that, though, he will.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Even then, some counties just have better holdings, and they'll be the ones who come out on top. Never forget that the AI is still playing the same game you are.

What realm are you playing in, out of curiosity?

I'm moving up to Abyssinian Empire right now (so Egypt, Nubia, Abyssinia).

Is the the lack of tech points really a huge deal though? Like would I already have maxed out Military Organization/Castle Construction/Noble Customs/Legalism by now if I'd bother to struggle with dukes all the time?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Everyone else has covered how this works, but sometimes you can invite someone with a claim to your court, marry them matrilineally to your heir(or normally, if it's a woman you're inviting) then press the claim. This way the next generation your heir's heir should get your land plus whatever claim you pressed.

If they are already married, it should only cost 50 gold to kill their spouse if they are in your court.

Roland Jones posted:

For the kingdom thing, I'm asking because I already have the kingdoms and am getting a penalty for it (I think). Handing out the lesser ones was indeed the plan. That's why I need to know how many I can hold before getting the opinion malus. (Specifically, I'm getting a -45 for "Elector Titles Held". Might be because I control so much stuff in an elective monarchy, I suppose.)

It's because you have too many held duchies and/or kingdoms. If you have an empire it's not ideal to hold any kingdom titles yourself, or even duchies, depending how things are set up.

Here is how my current game is set up: I hold the Empire of Russia and I have 5 vassal kings. My main holding is the Duchy of Thrace (the one that has Constantinople) where I hold the three counties, plus a barony in each to round off at 6 holdings. My holding limit is 8, but I like to have some breathing room. I haven't actually created the Duchy of Thrace title, because when I eventually get the Kingdom of Greece, if I have the Duchy of Thrace, my vassal king will get -25 to opinion because I hold the duchy. If I just have the counties, then he doesn't care.

In general, I like keeping vassal kings for lots of reasons, but the one that has kind of been mentioned is convenience. You can raise all the levies in a single location. You can also raise them strategically, since the kingdom often covers a large area, you can pick where to raise them.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 3, 2014

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

BioMe posted:

Is the the lack of tech points really a huge deal though? Like would I already have maxed out Military Organization/Castle Construction/Noble Customs/Legalism by now if I'd bother to struggle with dukes all the time?

I personally find it easier just to go with a few vassals as possible then you don't have to please a ton of vassals. Going with Duke vassals, or King ones if you have a large Empire is probably the best way to go, and it can't hurt to have lots of tech points.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kem Rixen posted:

I personally find it easier just to go with a few vassals as possible then you don't have to please a ton of vassals. Going with Duke vassals, or King ones if you have a large Empire is probably the best way to go, and it can't hurt to have lots of tech points.

Being able to just pick your heir is really nice though. And king vassals especially can make a lot more waves when something does go horribly wrong.

Like even with those huge minuses from changing up election system, having -40 dishonorable and after destroying a duchy and the Kingdom of Abyssania the best the factions could do was something like 35% of my troops. Sure there are like twenty factions when everyone hates my guts but not one of them will ever have the guts to actually rebel.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

BioMe posted:

They generate techpoints in their own duchy capitals. So instead of a single teched-up capital with a ring or two of decently-teched provinces after which lies a great sea of illiteracy and stone clubs, most ducal provinces tend to keep pace with the provinces right next to your capital. Those techs are the ones that improve the province's troops, the buildings in those provinces, so on and so forth. If you don't give a poo poo how developed your realm is and instead prefer to keep a comparative advantage over your vassals, removing dukes is probably a good move. If you're playing an expansionistic singleplayer game, it might even be optimal play for keeping those gently caress-off huge empires together, though I've never tried it.

In multiplayer of course it'd be stupid, but eh. There are like ten dudes who play multiplayer.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

BioMe posted:

The good think about muslim rulers with high crown rules is that you can revoke duchy-titles for free. If someone doesn't like you revoke his title and redistribute it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Has the AI gotten more discriminating with regards to marriage lately?

No Duke is willing to marry my niece (of my dynasty) and I am literally emperor of half the known world.

It may because my brother died before my father could arrange to give him a title.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've also found this to work with the "original portrait cultures have two noses" glitch. Any word on that being fixed soon?

Last week's patch was meant to have fixed that, although possibly it doesn't change it in ongoing games.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Allyn posted:

The bonuses only apply to troops from that holding, but they apply to all troops of that type from that holding. So say you're English/Welsh, the cultural building gives you archers +30% attack (or something like that), which applies to the archers from that building and the archers from the militia training ground in that castle. The retinue gets the bonus regardless of any building.
So, even if I have 10,000 horse archers as the Byzantine Emperor, the cataphract building in Constantinople will effect all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Has the AI gotten more discriminating with regards to marriage lately?

No Duke is willing to marry my niece (of my dynasty) and I am literally emperor of half the known world.

It may because my brother died before my father could arrange to give him a title.

Yeah, that's it. Being a niece of a god emperor doesn't give you an alliance in CK2, and they might refuse the marriage with that in mind.

• Locked thread