Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Yodzilla posted:

In other news FUUUUUUCK THOSE DARK CHASMS HOLY poo poo

Dark..., like a dream...

Embrace the darkness, friend :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can someone point me towards a rundown of what each weapon infusion is good for? I just got the Dull Ember and thanks to the Silky Stones I'm rolling in rocks.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/693331-dark-souls-ii/answers?qid=368381

What I've observed is that lightning is generally useful for most enemies and bosses, while fire is backup in case the enemy is resistant.

For strength builds, infusion is not very useful unless the weapon has poor scaling and can benefit from having an element.
Raw similarly is good for poor scaling weapons without splitting the damage type.

Poison works best on fast attacking weapons (Ricard's Rapier).

Also, infusing weapons that have innate elements (Hiede Knight Sword, Black Knight Ultra Greatsword) with the same element further increases the elemental damage.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Lori posted:

I can't think of a shield, but you can get rid of the poison on the floor in the boss room by lighting the windmill blades on fire

Oh, that works. Thanks

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I figured out the reason I don't like this game. The encounter and enemy design is incredibly poo poo. Enemies in dark souls were difficult and varied in unique ways and always had tricks up their sleeves. Dark souls 2 has the enemies from the very beginning of dark souls, lovely shambling nerds with a bow or a sword and copy pastes them throughout the entire game, 4 or 8 or 12 guys per encounter. Every fight just turns into a boring rear end kite or you blow them all up with magic. I cant remember a single enemy I fought that wasnt a dude, or a big dude. Some spiders? dogs? Bosses suffer the same problem.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fuuuuck I literally depleted the Dragon Shrine trying to get the Black Dragon Shield to drop. This thing is so rare I may well need to resort to goon trades. Surely one of you had the good fortune of it dropping, right? Surely...? :negative:

I managed to snag one through dumb luck, but I doubt I'll be using it. Whats your soul memory? Pick a place and a name ring god. Let's make this happen.

Edit: Go ahead and add me here, easier to talk through the overlay.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 3, 2014

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I just found the Third Dragon Ring. Welp, this is never ever coming off, at least for a melee strength guy.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Graviija posted:

I just found the Third Dragon Ring. Welp, this is never ever coming off, at least for a melee strength guy.

Every character I've made has used it, it's a fantastic ring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gobbledygoat posted:

I figured out the reason I don't like this game. The encounter and enemy design is incredibly poo poo. Enemies in dark souls were difficult and varied in unique ways and always had tricks up their sleeves. Dark souls 2 has the enemies from the very beginning of dark souls, lovely shambling nerds with a bow or a sword and copy pastes them throughout the entire game, 4 or 8 or 12 guys per encounter. Every fight just turns into a boring rear end kite or you blow them all up with magic. I cant remember a single enemy I fought that wasnt a dude, or a big dude. Some spiders? dogs? Bosses suffer the same problem.

This is completely wrong. Dark Souls was dominated by humanoid enemies. Most areas generally consisted of two enemy types. Only a select few of them had what you would call tricks, unless you're using a very generous definition of the word. Either way, the enemy variety in both games is pretty similar. The bosses in Dark Souls 2 unquestionably have more attack variety though. I'm not sure how you can even think that isn't the case. I see way more attacks used by the bosses in this game than I ever did in Dark souls. Whether or not those attacks are effective is another matter, but they at least have more in the first place.

But no you're right Dark Souls totally has more varied enemy design. That's definitely what I thought after killing 6 taurus demons, 5 capra demons, and then the asylum demon for the third time.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 3, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Graviija posted:

It'll be coming off your finger in a fine powder if you dip even a toe in an acid pool.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Level 0 Bandit knife against forest giant is a hell of a lot of fun. Especially after your two summons do 1/5th of its health and have the nerve of dying on you.

http://www.twitch.tv/chippita_/b/525276506
14:00

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Graviija posted:

The ring of Favor and Dragon

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

The wood carvings are hilarious. I can't stop using them. Very Good! Very Good!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is completely wrong. Dark Souls was dominated by humanoid enemies. Most areas generally consisted of two enemy types. Only a select few of them had what you would call tricks, unless you're using a very generous definition of the word. Either way, the enemy variety in both games is pretty similar. The bosses in Dark Souls 2 unquestionably have more attack variety thought. I'm not sure how you can even think that isn't the case. I see way more attacks used by the bosses in this game than I ever did in Dark souls. Whether or not those attacks are effective is another matter, but they at least have more in the first place.

But no you're right Dark Souls totally has more varied enemy design. That's definitely what I thought after killing 6 taurus demons, 5 capra demons, and then the asylum demon for the third time.

"This isn't Dark Souls 1 and I hate it because of that." :colbert:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Demons:
A level Atmosphere
C level Accessibility

Dark:
B level Atmosphere
B level Accessibility

Dark 2:
C level Atmosphere
A level Accesibility

IMHO

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So I've been trying to experiment with different strength weapons. In my first playthrough I stuck with a Bastard Sword and variations of it for the most part. I also dual-wielded longswords for a bit, fun times.

All I can say is holy poo poo did I miss out by not investing in a Mace. Good lord these things wreck. And when you have two of them out, it just destroys any armored enemy in seconds.

I might try out this Large Club I've been hearing so much about next. Are there any solid axes that scale well with strength?

e:

net cafe scandal posted:

Demons:
A level Atmosphere
C level Accessibility

Dark:
B level Atmosphere
B level Accessibility

Dark 2:
C level Atmosphere
A level Accesibility

IMHO

Agree with this. Game still rules though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well, Dark Souls 1 was all about hiding behind a big shield and trivializing the entire game. The ability to do that is really limited in DS2, and the game is a lot harder to 'break' in your favor overall.

But in terms of explaining what the player needs to do, and training the player to be ready for the perils of the game, it's way better than DS1. Some of the adventure game logic puzzles can gently caress off (hey set fire to this metal windmill) but other than that it's pretty clear.

I would pull up guides for DeS and DkS1 all the time, not even to know where to go sometimes but just to understand the game's mechanics.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ugh. Game just crashed, now when I restart it both can't connect to the DS2 servers and it's telling me I've lost my DLC license so I'll lose my upgraded DLC items if I start in offline mode. wtf, FROM?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

net cafe scandal posted:

Demons:
A level Atmosphere
C level Accessibility

Dark:
B level Atmosphere
B level Accessibility

Dark 2:
C level Atmosphere
A level Accesibility

IMHO

Extremely succinct and accurate, almost OP worthy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is there any goon consensus (yeah right) on the most useful one handed mace in the game? Just the normal mace, or the morning star, etc?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

fashion souls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is there any goon consensus (yeah right) on the most useful one handed mace in the game? Just the normal mace, or the morning star, etc?

I have a lightning morningstar +10 and it is the best weapon for everything ever. Few enemies are lightning resistant so the thing just tears poo poo up. Being a blunt weapon it even deals bonus damage to armored enemies, and it has a small controlled attack which is perfect for narrow corridors (which the game has a lot of).

Greatswords got nerfed hard. :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't know which is best but not the morningstar; bleed is of marginal use in most cases and unlike most other bleed-causing things I don't think you can infuse strike weapons with additional bleed (at least you can't infuse the morningstar or the barbed club). It's still perfectly serviceable, I used it for a while just because I liked how it looked.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, Dark Souls 1 was all about hiding behind a big shield and trivializing the entire game. The ability to do that is really limited in DS2, and the game is a lot harder to 'break' in your favor overall.

Magic exists in this game, therefore it can be broken with impunity, especially with the advent of hexes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's the normal mace. Even at 40 str it outscales the club and all the other maces have horrible scaling and not particularly better base damage. Don't even infuse it, just get powerstance 2 of them and stunlock everything you can't instakill.

Blacksmith hammer is marginally better at elemental infusions.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 3, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How hosed up would it be to hit someone with a Morningstar IRL? I bet that would really hurt

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Magic exists in this game, therefore it can be broken with impunity, especially with the advent of hexes.

They also brought back a means of regenerating magic on the field, which is the stupidest loving thing to me. Chugging spices and being able to just wreck everything with magic instead of having it sit around as an emergency measure was 50% of the problem in Demon Souls, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to buff magic again :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobnumerotres posted:

The ability to do that is really limited in DS2, and the game is a lot harder to 'break' in your favor overall.

Is this a real post

Dark Souls 2, a lot harder to break? The game that is much more liberal on giving you multiple copies of attack spells to slot, poo poo loads of slots to put them in, and items to restore your casts in the field?

Dark Souls 2 is by a huge margin the easiest game in this series. Drakekeepers in the Dragon Shrine are kinda bullshit in how they seem to have no idea what Stamina even means and can chain from three hit combo to three hit combo ad infinitum.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there some trick to damaging the Pursuer in Iron Keep? I've tried a few different weapons but the most I was doing was around 270 per hit with a lightning bastard sword, it got so tedious repeating the dodge and hit the pursuer thing I eventually gave up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I beat the game and still haven't finished a couple of areas. Holy poo poo is magic amazing. I more or less trivialized almost all of the enemies and bosses by just standing back and pew pewing until they died. The only things that gave me pause were a couple of dudes strong to all magic, and those guys got a +10 raw dagger to the back, which did the trick. Having access to four different elements and being able to cast all of them equally well makes everything melt. Also, binoculars. I only discovered them halfway through the game, but they were a gamechanger. No longer did I have to sit back and slowly line up my screen, instead I could just point and click until everything died (incidentally, this is the reason that I put off a couple of areas in the game - rear end in a top hat ranged dudes that I couldn't lock onto).

Is it just me, or are the lightning spear line of miracles head and shoulders above the other spells? Sure, the other spells cast a bit faster, but lightning spears tend to drat near one shot everything.

I'm tempted to restart the game with a hybrid strength/faith build, but I'm afraid that I'll end up just using lightning spear to kill everything since it's so much more effective. I think I might just go for a pure warrior and smash things to death with big weapons, heavy armor, and shields.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only magic I don't think is broken in Dark Souls 2 is pure pyromancy. It has limited enough range and long enough cast times that you can't use it to trivialize nearly every encounter in the game.

The same could of applied to Dark Souls but you know, power within.

VVV Actually yeah nevermind I forgot how strong combustion and great combustion were.

I still think pyromancy in Dark Souls 2 isn't broken while still being useful.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 3, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

net cafe scandal posted:

How hosed up would it be to hit someone with a Morningstar IRL? I bet that would really hurt

People used them in medieval times purely for the cruelty and intimidation factor. It pierced and dented pesky plated armor at the same time.

quote:

The only magic I don't think is broken in Dark Souls 2 is pure pyromancy. It has limited enough range and long enough cast times that you can't use it to trivialize nearly every encounter in the game.

The same could of applied to Dark Souls but you know, power within.

Combustion is powerful as hell, you can cheese virtually any encounter, including other players, with it. My strongest DS1 character is an SL1 dickwraith with a fully upgraded pyro flame and great combustion.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every pyromancy I've seen has been underwhelming and had gently caress all for casts, though admittedly that doesn't include firestorm or great chaos fireball.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

This was actually the thing I miss most from the first Dark Souls. Being able to block absolutely anything (except grapple attacks I think) was badass. I'm pretty sure you could even block a good chunk of the bridge dragon's attack.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I started a new game as a caster, and just got summoned for Old Dragonslayer. Except I notice that the host is also a caster. Then he summons another caster. "Great" I'm thinking, "There's nobody to tank, so the host is going to get slaughtered."

The three of us proceed to ninja roll circles around the boss, dodging every blow and raining soul arrows on him. Nobody took a hit the entire fight. It was glorious. :allears:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dark Souls 2 IS waaayyyy loving harder than Dark Souls 1, but in terms of accessibility it has made leaps and bounds so your friend is kind of dumb.
What does this mean, exactly? Are you saying the game is harder mechanically but easier in some other facet?

The hardest part for me has consistently been figuring out where to go next and how I'm supposed to unlock new areas. In Dark Souls 1 I never had that issue (aside from figuring out where to head after ringing the 1st bell) mainly because DS1 shows you which distant areas it is unlocking in a cutscene. Showing the player what area has just been unlocked for the main quest is something that DS2 is sorely missing, backtracking and checking locked doors and whatnot gets incredibly tedious.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I don't get how people are giving this game an A in accessibility. There are so many terrible game mechanics they added to stifle experimentation.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

This is completely wrong. Dark Souls was dominated by humanoid enemies. Most areas generally consisted of two enemy types. Only a select few of them had what you would call tricks, unless you're using a very generous definition of the word. Either way, the enemy variety in both games is pretty similar. The bosses in Dark Souls 2 unquestionably have more attack variety though. I'm not sure how you can even think that isn't the case. I see way more attacks used by the bosses in this game than I ever did in Dark souls. Whether or not those attacks are effective is another matter, but they at least have more in the first place.

Dark Souls is still relatively fresh in my memory and I can confirm that half the things people say it did way better are things they made up

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dont know why they made attunement give you agility.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Stokes posted:

I don't get how people are giving this game an A in accessibility. There are so many terrible game mechanics they added to stifle experimentation.

Soul memory is one, and a big one at that, not sure what else you're talking about chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark Souls bosses were also complete chumps, I never ended up finishing the game since it was someone else's but I think the most I died was to the Capra Demon, and that was only a modest body count of about 5 while everything else killed me a maximum of once (including famed assholes O&S), and that was as a dumb new player who bumbled into all the traps and hid behind a shield. Then I come over to this game with some idea of what to do and skeleton horses and rats are murdering me dozens of times.