Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dis astranagant posted:

It's mostly the 2 on 1 at the start of the zone that's giving me trouble because any hit from them means at least 3/4 of my health gone when the other follows.

Yeah, okay, the 2-on-1 at the start really does suck. The two dudes at the start hide from you and have an incredibly arbitrary aggro trigger which causes them to come from a mile away. You can sneak around the trigger by staying against the left of the ramp until you can edge over and then go around and start taking the lion warriors on one-on-one where they're complete chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I guess I was just being twitchy and impatient, haven't swung a melee weapon in the last 10 hours of play or so and that was one that won't do much to this shitheads.

If you have a smaller weapon you actually have more than enough time to hit them once or twice and walk backwards out of the way of their attacks. Not even roll, just walk back.

Bobnumerotres posted:

He came to Majula to brag about his sword and kill things with his amazing sword. He's honorable I guess but he's a dick. So I crushed his skull in with the large club, didn't even get to finish his "What?!" line.

You can also sprint past all of them, since the area is open as poo poo and the boss is like right there. Those dudes have no business being so tough.

Pot, meet kettle. :colbert:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

He came to Majula to brag about his sword and kill things with his amazing sword. He's honorable I guess but he's a dick. So I crushed his skull in with the large club, didn't even get to finish his "What?!" line.

You can also sprint past all of them, since the area is open as poo poo and the boss is like right there. Those dudes have no business being so tough.

How could you, he just wants to join in the fun. I mean the dude says he's in your debt for depetrifying the statue for him and he's a man of his word. :colbert:

And he was the best summon for the Looking Glass Knight. Kept dude distracted while I continued pummeling the boss while Benhart takes the hits.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My soul memory is 1.3m and I just got the fourth lord soul. I don't like the soul memory mechanic vs. the old soul level for co-op.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Soul memory is really cool when you're playing with another person the whole way through, but aside from that very specific circumstance it's mostly busted.
Also playing through with someone else means you get a ton of souls. I'm SL 86 and I just killed the Lost Sinner.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Someone tried to tell me that Dark Souls 2 is much harder than the original and that he was glad the series was getting back to it's roots instead of "appealing to casuals like Dark Souls 1"

:psyduck:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Elysiume posted:

My soul memory is 1.3m and I just got the fourth lord soul. I don't like the soul memory mechanic vs. the old soul level for co-op.

Yeah, although it kind of fits into Dark Souls motif of eternal despair at the callousness of the universe. The more that you help out your jolly sunbros to defeat the powerful foes that infest their worlds the fewer jolly sunbros you see. Eventually they dwindle to silence as you gain untold power. Finally you sit alone on a chair crafted from the skulls of your enemies surrounded by the glaring red summon signs of hackers.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, although it kind of fits into Dark Souls motif of eternal despair at the callousness of the universe. The more that you help out your jolly sunbros to defeat the powerful foes that infest their worlds the fewer jolly sunbros you see. Eventually they dwindle to silence as you gain untold power. Finally you sit alone on a chair crafted from the skulls of your enemies surrounded by the glaring red summon signs of hackers.

That's actually kind of beautiful. Thanks, Spanish Matlock!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its not like soul memory even keeps good players from torturing new ones. You can duel in the arena for infinite cracked red eye orbs. If your very efficient with your souls, you can easily get access to the top tier gear without getting a huge soul memory. If I wanted too I'm sure I could make a dickwraith that had access to high tier gear and a really good soul level, but was still capable of invading areas filled with low level people because my overall soul memory was low. I mean I guess eventually the souls acquired from doing that would push me out of their range, but that would take A LOT of invasions.

New players makes more mistakes and are thus prone to losing souls, which the soul memory system punishes. Its really dumb.

Bobnumerotres posted:

He's just trying really hard to convince himself he's got a cool sword and not a fake, why you gotta crush his spirit (and skull)?

Is the real moonlight greatsword even in this game?

VVV Sorcery trivializes every souls game and if you use it a ton then you aren't even beating the game IMO. Not saying that to sound elitist, I just get no satisfaction out of using them since they make things so easy with no effort required. I will gladly spend 5 minutes punching the Rotten in his gut to get a satisfying battle, even when I could of just chucked some lightning spears at him and won in a minute.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 3, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pot, meet kettle. :colbert:

I feel like after clearing an area the first time, the enemies there are just padding. If you can sprint past them do it. Those dudes are just annoying as hell with infinite poise and bullshit damage levels you don't see on any other enemy in the game (even if their hits are really easy to dodge).

Lori posted:

Someone tried to tell me that Dark Souls 2 is much harder than the original and that he was glad the series was getting back to it's roots instead of "appealing to casuals like Dark Souls 1"

Dark Souls 2 IS waaayyyy loving harder than Dark Souls 1, but in terms of accessibility it has made leaps and bounds so your friend is kind of dumb.

If anyone tries to tell you Demon Souls is hard, they're an idiot. I mean sure it has the flamelurker but it also has infinite laser beams that loving destroy every enemy in the game, and free overpowered as gently caress gear hand-outs like the fire longsword and crescent falchion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, you need a ng+ boss soul to make it.

edit: Duke's Dear Freja drops the Pale Drake soul when you kill her, and that can be used to forge the sword.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 3, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Internet Kraken posted:

How could you kill Benhart? He's such a friendly guy :smith:

Aren't you the one that killed the level-up girl....?

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

It is. It's also so incredibly broken that they had to make it not enchantable in the first patch of the game, so it would stop being the best damage thing in the game.

No clue how you get it though!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hmm, kinda stuck. After getting the four things I need I went into the castle to find King Vendrick. Crawling all the way upstairs, I find the queen, she tells me to go look for him. I beat up the two dragonriders then spent a while in that apparently pointless (except for a flask shard) loop. Exhausted all the queen's speech. Even Shalquoir says he is with the dead. So I decide to go the Undead Purgatory. I kill the gently caress out of the Chariot boss and find the bonfire but there's nowhere to go from there.

I guess that's not the right path?

Also when does that happen when you can see all the possible travel locations? After you do the first half of the game I guess?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

I can't believe that's even possible. In Demon's Souls they made candle eyes invincible, but I think you actually NEED her to complete the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Carwash posted:

She might as well be an ATM machine that requests your soul input. She exhibits no personality and I only felt remorse about killing her because it deprived me of leveling up for a little bit.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sober posted:

Hmm, kinda stuck. After getting the four things I need I went into the castle to find King Vendrick. Crawling all the way upstairs, I find the queen, she tells me to go look for him. I beat up the two dragonriders then spent a while in that apparently pointless (except for a flask shard) loop. Exhausted all the queen's speech. Even Shalquoir says he is with the dead. So I decide to go the Undead Purgatory. I kill the gently caress out of the Chariot boss and find the bonfire but there's nowhere to go from there.

Also when does that happen when you can see all the possible travel locations? After you do the first half of the game I guess?

You passed up somethign important on that loop.

Remember those guard statues? You are suppose to kill them near the golem statue in order to make a elevator go down so you can up to get a key that lets you progress to the next area. You also see the possible travel locations after you talked to Nashandra, I guess it's the game's way of saying btw here's some places you will look forward to or have missed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sober posted:

Keep going with the castle, why would you not keep going with the obviously not complete castle? :psyduck:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sober posted:

That wasn't an infinite loop. In the room with the Stone Soldiers (before the two chests, one of which had Soul Greatsword and Caitha's Chime), you need to kill one near the golem. After that, there will be a lift accessible in the room right after the bonfire. That'll bring you to a key which opens the door at the bottom of the lift.

That happens when you talk to Nashandra.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Sober posted:

After you talk to the queen. And the next area you're supposed to go to is in the castle, past the queen and the dragonriders. Keep looking. And remember, the big statue guy with the hole in his chest is activated to turn his switch if you kill an enemy who is standing next to him. (You had to do the same thing to open the front gate of the castle, though you might have not noticed and just done it by accident while killing everything, like I did)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 3, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Can someone point me towards a rundown of what each weapon infusion is good for? I just got the Dull Ember and thanks to the Silky Stones I'm rolling in rocks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Shindragon posted:

You passed up somethign important on that loop.

Remember those guard statues? You are suppose to kill them near the golem statue in order to make a elevator go down so you can up to get a key that lets you progress to the next area. You also see the possible travel locations after you talked to Nashandra, I guess it's the game's way of saying btw here's some places you will look forward to or have missed.
:doh:

After murdering all those swordsman in front of those statues that light up (which is how I even got into the Castle in the first place) when something dies close to it I'm surprised I didn't make the connection. I am the loving worst at Dark Souls. :suicide:

Oh well at least I got some exploring done? :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's no reason to save any boss souls that don't go into sorceries/pyromancies/miracles, right? The weapons aren't used in any achievements?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
1.3 mil is ridiculously easy to get by doing any amount of jolly cooperation, long long before you reach Drangleic Castle. Whatever levelling curve exists in this game is absolutely savaged by any amount of multiplayer.

That was my experience at least. I hit 1.3 mil by the second Old Soul without even trying.

Also farming the Black Dragon Shield is going to drive me to madness :(

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dark Souls 2 IS waaayyyy loving harder than Dark Souls 1, but in terms of accessibility it has made leaps and bounds so your friend is kind of dumb.

:psyboom:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Elysiume posted:

There's no reason to save any boss souls that don't go into sorceries/pyromancies/miracles, right? The weapons aren't used in any achievements?

Nope, no weapon achievements apart from +10 a weapon but that' it. Nothing about collecting boss weapons.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Ooooookay, the spiders in brightstone cove can drop zweihanders for some reason.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Doctor Zaius posted:

Ooooookay, the spiders in brightstone cove can drop zweihanders for some reason.
Yeah, this is how I have like 5 Zweihanders.

Maybe I should try to dual wield them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lori posted:

Sounds like you got trolled pretty hard.

In other news FUUUUUUCK THOSE DARK CHASMS HOLY poo poo

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
He was sincere as gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Doctor Zaius posted:

Those spiders drop a ton of weapons for no reason. The wiki claims they can even drop poo poo like Ricard's Rapier. I got great scythe from one, which kind of makes me want to cosplay as Sigmund for invasions but trying to win PvP duels with a great scythe would be a pain.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fuuuuck I literally depleted the Dragon Shrine trying to get the Black Dragon Shield to drop. This thing is so rare I may well need to resort to goon trades. Surely one of you had the good fortune of it dropping, right? Surely...? :negative:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fuuuuck I literally depleted the Dragon Shrine trying to get the Black Dragon Shield to drop. This thing is so rare I may well need to resort to goon trades. Surely one of you had the good fortune of it dropping, right? Surely...? :negative:

Wait, you can trade stuff in this game?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Those spiders also drop mastodon greatswords.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Doing a first run through and can someone give me a hint on where to get something akin to the spider shield in ds1 to deal with my boss of earthen peak problem?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Wait, you can trade stuff in this game?

Yeah, you summon a dude and either you or he drop items. They can then get picked up.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I can't think of a shield, but you can get rid of the poison on the floor in the boss room by lighting the windmill blades on fire

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Those spiders drop a ton of weapons for no reason. The wiki claims they can even drop poo poo like Ricard's Rapier. I got great scythe from one, which kind of makes me want to cosplay as Sigmund for invasions but trying to win PvP duels with a great scythe would be a pain.

I can attest the spiders drop ricards rapiers. I had the gold covetous serpent ring and the jester hat when it dropped for me. Also a second zweihander. Zwei zweihanders? :v:

e:

Control Volume posted:

Those spiders also drop mastodon greatswords.

Also these.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Those spiders have a drop list of 10-20 completely random weapons. I've had runs down to DDF that give me four brand new weapons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Are the really big fuckoff weapons that much better or just there for cool style points? Just using a vanilla +10 mace or something I still smack bosses for 300-400 or so damage a 1Handed R1 hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

C'mon, arbiter, I'm already in NG+ Sinner's Rise, do you really need to punish me while I'm in the most prisony part of the superprison? Justice has clearly already been done.