Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Richey posted:

I think Court rulings stated that the Commercial PSX emulator Bleem was Legal, but it requires the actual CDs and what not. So theres that.

Too bad the court case bankrupted the company even though they didn't lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like to see the alternate world where Gallian Panzers became a successful IP of strategy RPGs. It was the working title of what would become Valkyria Chronicles before a number of changes, back in 2004 when a PS3 version (and PC!) were only possibilities in addition to the PS2 lead.

This image (above) supposedly was the reason the project took off at all. "When I think about the fact that the producer called on me only because this particular image caught his eye, I feel very grateful towards this little guy" -Raita Honjou, character designer on the Valkyria Chronicles series, also noted perv

Before the Darcsens of VC, the oppressed people in Gallian Panzers were to be animal people, the Bastians. The girl on the right is supposed to be an early concept of Isara.

Alicia (at first Alma) went through a lot of iterations. Initially, she was a tank operator (right) with Welkin. She was also a much younger girl for a while.

Welkin always was Welkin and more or less looked liked Welkin.

I haven't found too much information about the initial game ideas, but a slightly less serious and realistic game with a larger emphasis on tanks probably would've been fun. (Not that what we got wasn't fantastic and probably more unique)

Can anybody translate the German slogan attached to the initial title?

"Das Spiel der Mädchen, die einen Heimat Schützen und die auf den Behalter fuhren." (Google:Protect a home and drove the game the girl on the container)

---
The Valkyria Chronicles art books are pretty cheap on Amazon btw. Udon even brought over the VC3 book, despite the game not being localized.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 30, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Rinkles posted:

I'd like to see the alternate world where Gallian Panzers became a successful IP of strategy RPGs.
Same, but with Valkyria Chronicles :(

We haven't even gotten rumors about another game being developed yet, have we?

Edit: Someone else can fix this up but something like "the game of girls (maidens) protecting the homeland and driving on the <something>"

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rinkles posted:

"Das Spiel der Mädchen, die einen Heimat Schützen und die auf den Behalter fuhren." (Google:Protect a home and drove the game the girl on the container)

Seems half gibberish to me, I assume it's supposed to be something along the lines of "The game of the girls who protect their homeland and [something]".

Armor-Piercing posted:

The last thing I remember hearing about was that phone-based card game or whatever that was.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Same, but with Valkyria Chronicles :(

Hey I'm trying to find some counterfactual positives here.

quote:

No, no. But I've been wondering what Sega Japan's working on, because I can't think of any big announced project outside their western branches. Might mean they're working on a sequel or successor, right? Right!?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Seems half gibberish to me, I assume it's supposed to be something along the lines of "The game of the girls who protect their homeland and [something]".

Expected as much, thanks.

The last thing I remember hearing about was that phone-based card game or whatever that was.

It's browser based and has been out for almost 2 years I think.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, do I need to have played the first game in order to really enjoy/get the sequels? I don't have a PS3 but do have a PSP and I've been interested in playing them for ages

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, do I need to have played the first game in order to really enjoy/get the sequels? I don't have a PS3 but do have a PSP and I've been interested in playing them for ages

I haven't played 3, but 2 is kind of rotten compared to the first game. Alternatively if you really don't want to lose out on the story you could check out the anime. It follows the same basic plot with a few variations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't played 3, but 2 is kind of rotten compared to the first game. Alternatively if you really don't want to lose out on the story you could check out the anime. It follows the same basic plot with a few variations.
It's not supposed to be very good, though.

Anyway, these are not really complicated games. You won't really be confused if you skip the first game. But if you're going to play any of the PSP ones, just do yourself a favor a skip 2. It's bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's not supposed to be very good, though.

Eh, I thought it was alright. It's not preferrable to playing the game, but it gets the job done. The characters aren't very deep or anything, but it's a fun story nonetheless.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh yeah what happened with the VC3 fan-translation? Did anyone here play it and was it good enough or is it still in that vague final stages kind of state?

VC2 was such a letdown.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's good enough. It could have used some better editing though, since it's fairly stilted and literal.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Not really. VC2/3 had references to the original (character cameos, plot points) but nothing major that will in any way impact your enjoyment of them. They take place two years after and during the original VC, respectively.

I mean, the games themselves may impact your enjoyment, but you'll at least understand what's going on.

Frankly I'd recommend skipping VC2 and going straight into VC3 with the fan translation patch. They're the exact same game and reuse a ton of assets and levels, but VC3 is a more polished version. It has more structured progression and doesn't totally turn into a slog fest of "play free missions on the same six maps over and over" for 60 hours.

e:

Rascyc posted:

Oh yeah what happened with the VC3 fan-translation? Did anyone here play it and was it good enough or is it still in that vague final stages kind of state?

VC2 was such a letdown.

It was OK. Most of the dialogue was rough around the edges, and it wasn't a full translation. They left out the ancillary documentation and a lot of the extra content, but the main dialogue and gameplay stuff is there, so it's definitely playable.

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 30, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

VC2 was such a letdown.

And yet was a great game.*

*I may have had the memories of dozens upon dozens of hours grinding certificates extracted from my brain.

Paperhouse posted:

No but it'll spoil the "twist" of VC1 right out of the gate. VC2 is a great game with a number of stark flaws, and that's besides the obvious concessions made in the transition to a portable system. I'd recommend it if you can tolerate a fair bit of grinding to get the random drops you need to level up charcters/upgrade gear. You don't strictly have to do all that much grinding because you can make do with the drops you get naturally by doing missions, but it'll be frustrating to leave behind members the RNG deemed unworthy, and you may have a tough time occasionally without a fully upgraded roster. But if you can tolerate having to redo dull missions in order to pimp out your crew and tank, a great strategy game awaits you. (Vehicle customization is a bunch of fun... until you start running into material requirements you don't meet).

The school setting, jarring fanservice (not a lot, just sudden and out of place), and the main characters single clip of laughter that gets replayed CONSTANTLY are problems on the non-gameplay side. However, at the end of the game I'd grown to like most of the cast (not the protagonist's laughter though) and I don't think that should be what disuades you from the game (the stuff's mostly ignorable and skippable, iirc, if you really can't stand it).

So ignore the person with the bad opinion and get VC2 if you think you can stand the above, because it's strategy series unlike any other. If you can't get VC1 get VC2, but VC2 stands on it's own and is actually better in a couple of ways (most importantly, balance).

That said! Those who've played VC2 and VC3 pretty much universally consider the latter better, and it being a prequel wouldn't spoil VC2 anyway (and VC2's story is boilerplate). I haven't played it, but it does away with the drop based progression system, meaning no grind, has a more interesting cast (from what I gather), has individual character models for each of the crew, occasionally bigger maps and generally is considered a step up. There's a patch you can use on a custom firmware PSP (which is fairly trivial and inconsequential to install) for VC3 with the main story line and menus translated (passably, I've heard), and you can find a Japanese copy of VC3 affordably through Amazon. So that might be the better option. Can't play it on a Vita, though. Not easily, anyway.

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'm going to guess that they google translated it from English, because "Behälter" is one translation of "tank". So it's probably meant to be something like "The game of the girls who protect their homeland and who drive tanks/travel on top of tanks" (the latter interpretation fits the image rather well :v:)

On that note, I just started playing VC1 and it really is refreshingly unique. It's been a bit light on actual gameplay so far though, there have been a lot of cutscenes between each battle. Not that they're bad or anything, but I'm really digging the combat system and would like to see more of that soon.

Umlaut fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 1, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Umlaut posted:

On that note, I just started playing VC1 and it really is refreshingly unique. It's been a bit light on actual gameplay so far though, there have been a lot of cutscenes between each battle. Not that they're bad or anything, but I'm really digging the combat system and would like to see more of that soon.

You'll soon be getting into the meat of the game with less interruptions and maps that rather quickly escalate in size, sometimes to the game's detriment in my opinion. Cherish the game, though, it's mostly downhill from there (but the slope isn't that steep!).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Umlaut posted:

I'm going to guess that they google translated it from English, because "Behälter" is one translation of "tank". So it's probably meant to be something like "The game of the girls who protect their homeland and who drive tanks/travel on top of tanks" (the latter interpretation fits the image rather well :v:)

Once you get into Chapter One and actually join the army, you'll be able to customize your squad and equipment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You'll also unfortunately rapidly get into the point where a single character soloing a stage isn't just the easiest strategy but the optimal one for A-ranking.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

You'll also unfortunately rapidly get into the point where a single character soloing a stage isn't just the easiest strategy but the optimal one for A-ranking.

This and the turn limits are what really turned me off on VC. On paper the game is everything I wanted in a tactical RPG but unfortunately playing tactically or doing anything that isn't a mad scout dash is counter-productive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did anybody ever have a go at co-op in VC2?

Levantine posted:

This and the turn limits are what really turned me off on VC. On paper the game is everything I wanted in a tactical RPG but unfortunately playing tactically or doing anything that isn't a mad scout dash is counter-productive.

It's not as big an issue in VC2, just sayin'.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rinkles posted:

Did anybody ever have a go at co-op in VC2?

It's not as big an issue in VC2, just sayin'.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed VC2 a bit more and a bit less than the first. I think the characters of VC are a lot stronger and more likeable, overall. VC2 still has turn limits which I think is just dumpy but not a total dealbreaker by itself. I still want to try VC3 but I want to wait for the final translation patch to come out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only time I've come remotely close to the turn limit was chapter 7 in VC1, and even that was because I was dumb and didn't realize I could end my turns early and save up commands.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

The only time I've come remotely close to the turn limit was chapter 7 in VC1, and even that was because I was dumb and didn't realize I could end my turns early and save up commands.

I tend to play very conservatively in tactical games and I know the turn limit exists to promote a more aggressive, faster playstyle; it's just not mine is all.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I hate this. They should have either not had a ranking system, or not had it be based on speed of all things. Like Levantine said, it destroys all tactical play.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

What are some good PSX RPGs, not available on PSN as PSOne Classics, that have no real-time battle mechanics at all? (i.e. exclusively menu-driven battles)

SRPG or CRPG, I like both. Sprite-based graphics are a plus, especially if they have pretty prerendered backgrounds too.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're not being forced at gunpoint to care about ranks.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dross posted:

What are some good PSX RPGs, not available on PSN as PSOne Classics, that have no real-time battle mechanics at all? SRPG or CRPG, I like both. Sprite-based graphics are a plus, especially if they have pretty prerendered backgrounds too.

I'm not certain if it's on PSN or not, but I have a huge soft spot for Saga Frontier 2. All the backgrounds are watercolor painted and the sprites are super detailed. Soundtrack is one of the best on the system as well. It's a bit obtuse like SaGa games are but I think it's a bit easier to grasp, mechanically.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

You're being forced at gunpoint to care about ranks.

Cute and useful snark and all, but ranks determine what items you get after the battle and the items are required for leveling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

You're being forced at gunpoint to care about ranks.

Ranks determine your rewards after battle.

In addition to that, yes, I enjoy playing games for ranks. It is what is fun for me. While I enjoy games for their own merits, I enjoy going for high grades in games as well and I enjoy almost any game more if there is something to shoot for, especially because it tends to encourage more varied play.

It also doesn't help that the scoring mechanic is VC's only real aggressive push. If you ignore it then the game's difficult plummets into the ground and that isn't really more fun. The solution isn't to ignore the scoring system, it would be to give it a better-designed scoring system.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 1, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Ranks determine your rewards after battle.

In addition to that, yes, I enjoy playing games for ranks. It is what is fun for me. While I enjoy games for their own merits, I enjoy going for high grades in games as well and I enjoy almost any game more if there is something to shoot for, especially because it tends to encourage more varied play.

And VC2 provided plenty opportunities to optimize and perfect your mission times, even beyond that of the highest rank! :keke:

I did honestly derive some amount of entertainment from trying to cut down the number of moves in farming runs. The utility APC with a flamethrower was particularly useful for that, iirc.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Rank determines your bonus experience after battle, but you also get EXP for every tank and enemy commander you kill so it evens out when you play a bit more slowly. You also get bonus weapons for each named soldier you kill.

Yes, unfortunately the ranking system in VC is bad, but I don't see why you can't just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, unfortunately the ranking system in VC is bad, but I don't see why you can't just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game.

Because if you're not going for fast times then the game is insanely easy and pretty boring. The gameplay mechanics are designed to encourage aggressive forward-movement. The core mechanics could support it but the level design and enemy placement and such all are based around the idea that the player is being aggressive and if they're not it becomes clear that the stages weren't designed for that sort of attitude.

I mean this isn't even exclusive to Valkryia Chronicles. The latest XCOM expansion added in the Meld mechanic entirely because they were hoping to promote aggressive movement as a mechanic but people ended up turtling down and playing defensively and safely as an optimal mechanic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wendell posted:

Cute and useful snark and all, but ranks determine what items you get after the battle and the items are required for leveling.
Whoops, forgetting "not" makes that sound a little nasty.

I still can't be bothered to care about the ranking system, though. It feels like trying to get a High Score. I'd rather grind missions later to make up the difference in experience, maybe gradually see if I can do better after enough repeats (you're grinding, might as well).

ImpAtom posted:

Because if you're not going for fast times then the game is insanely easy and pretty boring.
I'm pretty sure I'd disagree with this. Yes nothing is quite as difficult as chapter 7 but I wouldn't call VC1 an easy game if you play it more conservatively. Unless you're requiring failing missions as the criteria.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Dross posted:

What are some good PSX RPGs, not available on PSN as PSOne Classics, that have no real-time battle mechanics at all? (i.e. exclusively menu-driven battles)

SRPG or CRPG, I like both. Sprite-based graphics are a plus, especially if they have pretty prerendered backgrounds too.

Breath of Fire III seems like a pretty good choice that falls into exactly what you're looking for, but you'll have to tolerate it's dumber filler moments like the sushi making adventure.

The Lunar remakes on PS1 also seem like they would be choices that would work as well, although Lunar 1 has been remade to death at this point, so you might have played it in another version. It's not super expensive if you go used for the games themselves, but will be expensive if you want the whole packaging that came with both games.

If you feel like dumping a ton of money into one game, there's always Suikoden 2, but last I heard, there's a small chance it might be headed to PSN in the near future, so you might be better of holding off and seeing if it gets on PSN, which will be much cheaper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd disagree with this. Yes nothing is quite as difficult as chapter 7 but I wouldn't call VC1 an easy game if you play it more conservatively. Unless you're requiring failing missions as the criteria.

It absolutely is. A big thing is that by playing conservatively you build up a huge amount of extra turns which you can easily spend on Orders which make your characters nearly invincible god-machines. Plus Tanks become a lot more significant and powerful. I mean the EX-Hard DLC you can buy for the game specifically takes those two things away from you because of how game-breakingly powerful they are.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Levantine posted:

Me too. I really wish a game would try to imitate VC as it had a lot of interesting gameplay ideas but also made a couple of really big mistakes I'd like to see a different developer try to tackle.

I'd think a version of VC with the anime removed would have a decent chance of being a mainstream success. The setting is certainly appealing to a wide audience and X-Com introduced more people to TBS.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Has anyone tried out Planet Explorers on Steam early access? Looks kinda neat but its gimmicks might get old fast.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

I liked the fake internet in Front Mission 3 :(.

Fake internet is the best thing in any game it is in. I've mentioned this before, but Jagged Alliance 2 and Pizza Tycoon were much better games because of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm playing the original PSX Suikoden at the moment and just want to complain that tying a character's recruitment to a completely random drop is a pretty bullshit decision. gently caress you, Holly Fairies; how long is this going to take?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I'm not sure if rarity correlates 1:1 with drop rate, but if it does then you have a 1.7% chance of getting the nameless urn.

At least there isn't a sharp load time for encounters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It's probably not exactly that, because Suikoden's drop system only lets you get one drop per battle, so if you fight three Holly Fairies and one Creeper, and the Creeper's item drops, that prevents you from getting any other items in that battle. I don't know what determines what drop you get from which enemy, though.