Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Google crap doesn't even play nice with their own crap, I click on an address in a text message and it wants to open maps, in the browser. Click a YouTube link and its a 50/50 on if it will want to let me use a browser only, or use the YouTube app.

Ooo Got an avatar... On a comment I posted in a thread that is 1000+ post past. It must have had a lasting impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I keep forgetting to ask this. Xylo or whoever is at MS in this thread, please have Outlook on the phone mimic Outlook on the desktop in terms of reminders. I love on the desktop when I get the 30 minute reminder and I can choose the snooze option "Remind me 5 minutes before". On the phone, I have to snooze three times basically. 10 more minutes, 10 more minutes, then 5. Yes I have been late to several meetings because I'm juggling a bunch of stuff and I need a RIGHT BEFORE reminder. Or at least add a 15 minutes or a 30 minutes option. It goes 5, 10, then 60+.

Also where on the phone can we set default calendar reminders again, I could've sworn I set that before. My default is typically 30 minutes since I'm very mobile and usually need to budget in drive time. I just made a new appointment and it defaulted to 4 hours. These are serious world issues here folks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Belfiore did an AMA on Reddit. Just going through that poo poo, but it appears they're working on a native file manager. Screens Joe posted himself: http://imgur.com/a/hvqGD

--edit: Figures there wasn't much else in that AMA. Same crap about Xbox Music and Cortana improving. Some bollocks about carriers.
--edit2: Except maybe for that:

quote:

and btw, we hear many of you asking for extra buttons (eg. cel on/off) in Action Center and I'm optimistic we'll be able to oblige... but no promises here.
Given that some people here wanted to disable data and cell radio.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 2, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You left out the best/worst part of that AMA.

:stare:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

On a sidenote have you guys with 8.1 used the tab syncing feature of IE? It's actually very handy but in true MS fashion it wasn't readily obvious how to do it.

On the phone

Open IE
Click tab button
Now swipe sideways to see a list of all devices with all open tabs showing in real-time

On the PC/tablet

Click the button in IE for a new clean tab
Look right under the squares/tiles, you'll see drop down boxes for all your different devices including phone

In terms of favorites, under the desktop/tablet look under favorites and you'll see a folder called phone. On the phone click favorites and then the folder button down at the bottom to see your desktop/tablet favorites.

I just checked this, and the two devices (phone and computer) don't seem to be talking often- my computer is showing me tabs from 2 days ago. Why is that?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Figures there wasn't much else in that AMA. Same crap about Xbox Music and Cortana improving. Some bollocks about carriers.

Thanks for this. I fear that, by the time this and Cortana come to UK handsets, I will have moved to Android :smithicide:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Belfiore did an AMA on Reddit. Just going through that poo poo, but it appears they're working on a native file manager. Screens Joe posted himself: http://imgur.com/a/hvqGD

Sadly all the answers about Xbox Music/syncing basically seemed to boil down to "if you like manually copying poo poo to your phone or living 100% within the janky limitations of Xbox Music, you're going to LOVE 8.1!" and doesn't do anything to address people who are still looking for similar functionality to what existed in Windows Phone 7.x in terms of local sync.

I'm assuming the answer is because there's not ever going to be a solution for that use case, and that they're stuck with the limitations of the Xbox music service as it exists now, but still that makes me pretty sad :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 3, 2014

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I transferred some pictures from my pc to my Lumia 520. When I go to my Photos app, it says "updating" in the top left corner. It doesn't seem to be doing anything though. I've tried restarting the phone, taking the battery out, deleting all photos and re-transferring them but the updating is still there.
Before transferring the photos, I had taken a few pictures and it wasn't there before.
Any ideas?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
In the last couple of days my phone has been spending about half the time disconnected from the mobile network (So I can't make calls/receive texts etc) . I'm on the WP 8.1 preview and its a Lumia 620. Is it possible this is a WP8.1 bug? My phone's become pretty much unusable :(. It also seems to get a lot warmer than it used to and chews through battery like crazy. I hope I haven't melted some critical part or something.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe do a hard reset? You'd have to log in to all of your stuff again and you'd lose your app data for stuff like games but that would probably fix it if nothing else works.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I forced my phone onto 2g only which seems to have resolved the problem, but I'll try a hard reset and see if that gets me back to using 3g again.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

iLikeMidgets posted:

I transferred some pictures from my pc to my Lumia 520. When I go to my Photos app, it says "updating" in the top left corner. It doesn't seem to be doing anything though. I've tried restarting the phone, taking the battery out, deleting all photos and re-transferring them but the updating is still there.
Before transferring the photos, I had taken a few pictures and it wasn't there before.
Any ideas?

How did you transfer them onto your phone?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
transferred through USB to the external memory card

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any ideas when HTC might push their own bits onto WP 8.1? My battery life has taken an absolute battering since I installed 8.1. Sitting on standby is the same, but any time I use it, the charge falls like a rock.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for this. I fear that, by the time this and Cortana come to UK handsets, I will have moved to Android :smithicide:
Cortana is a nice toy, I suppose, but right now, all I use Google Now for is checking the weather. You won't find me yapping into my phone in public without someone else on the other end.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cortana is a nice toy, I suppose, but right now, all I use Google Now for is checking the weather. You won't find me yapping into my phone in public without someone else on the other end.

There are other things attached to Cortana, like on-device search and quiet hours, and improved voice recognition. The built-in Windows Phone voice recognition is pretty poor, I've found.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any reason en-US doesn't work for you in the UK? I'm in Belgium and have had all my computers and phones set to en-US since forever.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any ideas when HTC might push their own bits onto WP 8.1? My battery life has taken an absolute battering since I installed 8.1. Sitting on standby is the same, but any time I use it, the charge falls like a rock.

There's going to be another 8.1 update to the developer release in the interim, don't know exactly all the bugs it will address but it may help with this before HTC gets their firmware updated. That's carrier-specific in timeframe so it might be a while - could be late summer for some folks. Hell my 520 just got Nokia Black a couple of months before the 8.1 preview.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any reason en-US doesn't work for you in the UK? I'm in Belgium and have had all my computers and phones set to en-US since forever.

Apparently, the British 8X didn't include some US ROM bits or something. I've tried changing everything to US and I still don't get Cortana.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There's going to be another 8.1 update to the developer release in the interim, don't know exactly all the bugs it will address but it may help with this before HTC gets their firmware updated. That's carrier-specific in timeframe so it might be a while - could be late summer for some folks. Hell my 520 just got Nokia Black a couple of months before the 8.1 preview.

My handset is unlocked so hopefully I'd get it sooner rather than later.

The app situation has started to bother me a bit more. Yeah, most major apps have a presence on WP now but too many of them are token efforts that don't really reflect the features or performance of their iOS and Android equivalents.

I'm getting déjà vu here, have I ranted about this recently?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm getting déjà vu here, have I ranted about this recently?

It isn't just you. It is the thread itself. It goes through cycles with the same complaints coming up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any shops known that let you pre-order the Lumia 930 already in Europe?

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I can get Cortana working on my UK Lumia 820, but she can't understand my accent very well. :v: Trips up on things that don't phase the en-uk voice commands. Which is a shame, I don't have reason to use the voice search much (since I can usually search on something else), but the reminders would be quite useful to me.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Venusy posted:

I can get Cortana working on my UK Lumia 820, but she can't understand my accent very well. :v: Trips up on things that don't phase the en-uk voice commands. Which is a shame, I don't have reason to use the voice search much (since I can usually search on something else), but the reminders would be quite useful to me.

Maybe you should try speaking English the way the good Lord above intended it. (with a Texan drawl) :clint:

But seriously though, I can't imagine having to program voice recognition to understand people from Maine and Mississippi.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Check the battery sense app to see what's draining it all. That's also where you can tell poo poo to stop running in the background if you don't want it to. Yes, you have to tell each app individually to do this as far as I can tell. :( Oddly enough IE seems to be my biggest battery drain and I don't think I use it often enough for it to be. I do use it a throughout the day though, and now I've told it to not run in the background in case some website is running code or something actively. My battery life has now stabilized days later.

Jewmanji posted:

I just checked this, and the two devices (phone and computer) don't seem to be talking often- my computer is showing me tabs from 2 days ago. Why is that?

I don't honestly know the mechanics of it, mine seem to be only a few minutes apart usually.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venusy posted:

I think this is probably the exact reason why it only works if your region is set to US, actually. They didn't trust their accent-deciphering technology yet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can no longer outpace my battery drain anymore (or at least mitigate the drain enough for an extended trip) while using the Here Drive (and audio; a mix of local and streaming) and the nokia qi car mount; I was almost out after my 3+ hour trip. Hopefully that improves in the following updates.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Is there seriously no way to open my 920 up at work like a USB drive to transfer photos to OneDrive when using XP? The windows transfer app doesn't work on XP.

loving hell

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Coworker of mine bought a Lumia 1020. Nice shell on that phone. I wish they'd announce a 1030 with practically the same looks, but better internals.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Is there seriously no way to open my 920 up at work like a USB drive to transfer photos to OneDrive when using XP? The windows transfer app doesn't work on XP.

loving hell

Why the gently caress are you using a 12 year old OS that (finally!) went out of support a month ago?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

nielsm posted:

Why the gently caress are you using a 12 year old OS that (finally!) went out of support a month ago?

He did say it's a work computer so you can chalk it up to someone in management or IT dragging their feet to upgrade their systems or they're using lousy outdated proprietary software that absolutely requires XP.

As for Doomsday Jesus's problem, WP8 uses MTP for USB mass storage-like functionality. Service Pack 2 and Windows Media Player 10 or newer are needed to add MTP support to Windows XP.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Doomsday Jesus posted:

loving hell

What you are able to use at work is outside of your control, but at the end of the day it is entirely unreasonable to expect anything in this day and age to support Windows XP or to complain when it doesn't. Any company that does so is going above and beyond.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

What you are able to use at work is outside of your control, but at the end of the day it is entirely unreasonable to expect anything in this day and age to support Windows XP or to complain when it doesn't. Any company that does so is going above and beyond.

It has nothing to do with our lovely IT systems here. It gave me the option to open and view files just like plugging in a thumb drive.

Nothing would show up.

It worked after half a dozen attempts.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What are you guys recommending for music? Just dealing with Xbox music? I'm fine with streaming it but I'd like to create playlists on my PC rather than the phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

What are you guys recommending for music? Just dealing with Xbox music? I'm fine with streaming it but I'd like to create playlists on my PC rather than the phone.

Not many great options there, especially for Windows Phone 8.1 users. I haven't gotten the 8.1 music app to see anything other than Xbox Music playlists, so unless you have Windows 8 to edit Xbox Music playlists on your pc you are largely boned.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Irritated Goat posted:

MixRadio is alright. I'm not sure about playlist support since I don't make them though, but the actual app works fine. If nothing else, the newest builds of Xbox Music are at least usable now. If you have a subscription can't you create playlists on the web site ALA Google music?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions posted:

MixRadio is alright. I'm not sure about playlist support since I don't make them though, but the actual app works fine. If nothing else, the newest builds of Xbox Music are at least usable now. If you have a subscription can't you create playlists on the web site ALA Google music?

Yep. I mostly maintain my playlists on http://music.xbox.com.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, I went through and took a look at my gmail accounts and set them back to syncing at time intervals rather than letting 8.1 decide when to sync, and I went from having a dead battery every day by like 1 pm to having 75% left at 3:30 pm.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Wow, I went through and took a look at my gmail accounts and set them back to syncing at time intervals rather than letting 8.1 decide when to sync, and I went from having a dead battery every day by like 1 pm to having 75% left at 3:30 pm.
That was killing my battery life too. Definite improvement since I changed it back to every 30 minutes. Now I have to work to get the battery below 20% by the end of the day.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Maneki Neko posted:

Ev posted:

That was killing my battery life too. Definite improvement since I changed it back to every 30 minutes. Now I have to work to get the battery below 20% by the end of the day.

How often do you guys open/use apps on the phone? I ask because for me, in standby or on home screen I use almost no battery, but if any app is open in foreground (music, chat, browser, news, weather) while unlocked, the phone will start draining 1% every 3 minutes and be pretty warm.

A description I heard a while ago was "It's like any app in the foreground pegs the CPU."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It has nothing to do with our lovely IT systems here. It gave me the option to open and view files just like plugging in a thumb drive.

Nothing would show up.

It worked after half a dozen attempts.

sometimes I have to make sure I've unlocked the phone before anything will show up. I assumed that was a security feature