Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

MustelaFuro posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for Pokemon to team up with Greninja that won't trigger the super fast fuckers? Any suggestions on good pairings in general would be great too.

He won't really work as a permanent partner do to being weak to Greninja's Surf (which I assume you're running) but Rhyhyperior with Lightning Rod would be really cool to run with Cloyster and Greninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
What about Mega Blastoise with Water Spout? Does massive damage to the enemy team. Throw Politoed on there too for 50% more damage on top.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What about Swords Dance Mega-Scizor? SD/Protect/Bullet Punch/X-Scissor (or Bug Bite, if possible, but that's B2/W2 only).

Theoretically, you can exchange one of those moves for Roost, but Scizor REALLY needs that Protect, and a lack of coverage would hurt.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I use scald on my Greninja rather than surf. I don't really have a good reason but the burn had been super useful. The problem with the Blastoise suggestion is that will probably cause the game to throw a lot of a electric types at me, also I don't have any good Blastoise. I do have a good Scizor, but for some reason I'm really not very good at using one. I just can't keep Scizors alive very long. I have a similar problem with mega Garchomp. I can't figure out how to effectively use a mega Aggron either. Heavy slam has been a bit disappointing.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I've been working on Maison Doubles lately myself and can consistently get pretty far before I'm taken out by something I didn't expect/hax/I fall asleep on the couch and the battery runs out. I'm opening with a Rage Powder Amoongus (Rage Powder, Protect, Giga Drain, Spore) and Mega Lucario (Nasty Plot/Protect/Flash Cannon/Aura Sphere). Amoongus draws the attention of the opposing team with Rage Powder while Lucario hits Nasty Plot (or Protect if I suspect Earthquake or Heat Wave and want to scout it out). Amoongus ends up taking a good amount of hits plus the status conditions that were aimed at Lucario. Rage Powder won't work against opposing Grass types but most of them don't have anything particularly effective against Lucario with a few exceptions (Shiftry with Brick Break, for example).

Mandibuzz (Protect, Toxic, Roost, Foul Play) is a staple member of my back two and has gotten me out of a lot of jams but I can't seem to find a fourth member to get me to 50. My most successful so far have been Swampert, Assault Vest Azumarill, Heliolisk, and Goodra. Florges wasn't bad either.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
My 50 win streaks in doubles have fairly regularly been won by this team. IV's are low speed on all of them.

Dusclops w/Eviolite
Relaxed, 252HP, 64Def, 192SpD
-Trick Room
-Will-o-wisp
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Camerupt w/Flame Plate
Quiet, 252HP, 252SpA, 4Att
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Crawdunt w/Wide Lens
Brave, 252HP, 252Att, 4Def
-Aqua Jet
-Crab Hammer
-Knock Off
-Protect

Mawile w/Mawilite
Brave, 252HP 252Att 4Def
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Play Rough
-Fire Fang

Open with Dusclops and Camerupt, if the team looks like they will target Camerupt, protect. If they look like they will target Dusclops, Eruption. Dusclops should always try for Trick Room.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
PSW, I'm glad you posted that add I've always liked the idea of Trick Room teams but never got around to putting one together. I think that might be my first team to create when I finally finish my play through. So some questions:

1. What format do you guys think Trick Room works best in?
2. Understand this question is somewhat subjective but who is the "best" Trick Room setter?
3. Should you have more than one team member that can set it up ?
4. Are you doomed if you fail to win or at least take substantial lead while Trick Room is up?

Oh BTW, this is all in reference to competitive play.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

vulturesrow posted:

PSW, I'm glad you posted that add I've always liked the idea of Trick Room teams but never got around to putting one together. I think that might be my first team to create when I finally finish my play through. So some questions:

2. Understand this question is somewhat subjective but who is the "best" Trick Room setter?
4. Are you doomed if you fail to win or at least take substantial lead while Trick Room is up?

Trick room definitely works best in doubles or triples. It can work in singles, but it's nowhere near as strong, and it fell a bit is strength from the past 2 gens due to the power creep and an increased number in priority from pranksters and Talonflame.

You want a back up setter if it is a 6v6 match. 4v4, one setter is fine provided it is tanky enough, and/or can heal itself. That Dusclups should probably have Pain Split on it for example.

Some of the best setters are
-Dusclops (very difficult to take down before it gets TR up, but vulnerable to Taunt since it will be holding eviolite, can kinda heal with Pain Split and has a decent support pool)
-Cresslia (Also difficult to take down, can hold a Mental Herb to prevent Taunt, Heals with Moonlight, Supports with a variety of moves)
-Aromatise (somewhat tanky, can't be taunted, never used one personally)
-Sloking (Tanky, good typing, Oblivious can't be taunted, while regenerater heals when switched out, heals with Slack Off, and can attack very well after it gets TR up)
-Porygon 2 (very tanky, can use evioloite, most hits against it will be neutral hits, heals with Recover, can hit back fairly hard after TR is up, Trace is a fun ability, if you see a taunt coming you can just hit them back instead and screw up their plan, then switch out)
-Xatu (not really tanky at all, but Magic Bounce prevents really any status, kinda easy to take out comparatively to the others though)

You always want a back up plan if TR fails to go up. A good opponent will be able to recognize a TR team from team preview, and will try to put your setter to sleep, taunt it, or take it out before TR goes off. Trick Room is at a -6 priority. Having some priority is a must on a TR team, as is being tanky. You will take hits on a TR team eventually, you just have to be sure you will survive them to hit back. You're never doomed until the last mon is down. Competitively, people tend to go for an acceptable risk/reward, and Heat Wave/Rock Slide may miss even if you resigned yourself to losing that match. Suddenly you have a fighting chance again, you'll need to think of some way to use it. Priority doesn't usually hit that hard, but going first is crucial, and you'll need to use it to take out someone who is at a third or less HP frequently. Or double up on someone to try to take them out before they can act. Most people will not bother to use priority on a TR attacker, since they are slower.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In X/Y, how can I tell in the Pokedex whether or not a a Pokemon can be found in the day or at night? I can find the map of where each one is easily enough, but no time info.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So months of nagging the drawthread on 4chan has at last paid off:

PRAISE DA EMPRAH!!!!

EDIT:

C-Euro posted:

In X/Y, how can I tell in the Pokedex whether or not a a Pokemon can be found in the day or at night? I can find the map of where each one is easily enough, but no time info.

day or night doesn't effect what can be caught in XY, I believe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Trick Room is excellent in Rotation and Triples, good in Doubles, and pretty poor in Singles because it eventually wears off. However, even in Singles it can be used to good effect if the setter is capable of sustaining an offense on its own. Reuniclus is probably your best bet.

The best Trick Room setter is the one that fits in with the rest of your team, but you really want to make sure it's something that can take a hit on the turn it sets up. It's also good if it doesn't have to worry about being hit with Taunt. Aromatisse would be an excellent choice for a more defensive team because it's immune to Taunt (unless used with Mold Breaker), and Reuniclus does well offensively: if you don't give it a Mental Herb, it's still strong enough offensively that Taunt won't render it useless, and if you do, the lack of a recovery item won't stop it from doing what it needs to do.

Despite seeming like basically weaker versions of Reuniclus, Bronzong, Beheeyem, Musharna, and Gothitelle all bring some useful support moves to the table. If your team doesn't have room for a psychic type, consider a ghost like Jellicent, Super-Size Gourgeist, Dusknoir, or Cofagrigus. Diancie looks like it'll be very good at this once it's available, too.

Another opportunity is to throw Trick Room in lower tiers, putting it on something with middling speed and few other compelling options, so that no matter what the enemy brings it can go first when it needs to. I've done this to good effect on my Malamar.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

I've been getting into using a voltturn team, and is that ever entertaining to use. I've also grown to appreciate the versatility Tornadus-T brings. Problem is, I can't decide on the moveset. Besides U-turn, the options for the other 3 slots are Air Slash/Hurricane, Heat Wave, Knock Off, and Superpower/Focus Blast. Which 3 would be best together?

E: vvv exactly, they're so diabolical. :getin:

I want to try and make a viable (as in not instant loss) all electric team where uturn/voltswitch are on pretty much all Pokemon. :) As far as I can tell, the thing we're most scared of are dragon ground typed mons.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SirPhoebos posted:

So months of nagging the drawthread on 4chan has at last paid off:

PRAISE DA EMPRAH!!!!

EDIT:

Now I want to see an entire Warhammer team.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SirPhoebos posted:

What does it affect then, if anything?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

C-Euro posted:

What does it affect then, if anything?

Espeon/Umbreon evos, I think a couple of other evolutions maybe?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Amaura, Chingling, Gligar, and Sneasel only evolve during the night

Tyrunt, Riolu, Happiny, and Budew only evolve during the day.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

Now I want to see an entire Warhammer team.

I guess Gardevior would be an Eldar...maybe Golita would be a Dark Eldar. I don't really think there's a good Ork Pokemon though.

VVV--I'd give it to Machoke maybe, although he's not green.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hm. Now i'm going to be stuck on this.

Conkeldurr, maybe?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The shiny version is.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I guess Gardevior would be an Eldar...maybe Golita would be a Dark Eldar. I don't really think there's a good Ork Pokemon though.

Exploud looks pretty orky

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

I think Primeape is pretty orky too, but maybe less in the Warhammer way and more in the classic pig-ork way. In fact, so is Emboar.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Long time player, first time giver of shits about competitive battling. What is the usual format for this sort of thing? Lv. 50 doubles seems most common, and I want to know how many slots I need to fill in my party. All I know is that the "ten type team" was a thing at one point but I dunno if it is anymore with double battles existing.

If anyone wants to give me move selection advice, I have Greninja/Charizard as starters, probably Lucario and Gardevoir for my backups.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Plasbad posted:

I think Primeape is pretty orky too, but maybe less in the Warhammer way and more in the classic pig-ork way. In fact, so is Emboar.

Actually yeah, I think I have to give this one to Emboar. He's got the build and the tusks, that's what's really important.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Offensive Roserade doing work early on and Geomancy Smeargle/Mega Blastoise cleaning up later. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-116261159

Although I have no idea why the opponent went for that second Toxic against Florges.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Team Lapras takes on 4 Legendaries, mega-Venasaur and an Emboar:

HELG-WWWW-WWW7-6J25

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh my god this match. I don't know if I've ever been so unlucky in a pokemon match. It was a pretty satisfying ending though.

XL6G-WWWW-WWW7-6MJZ

edit: lol holy crap that lapras team is unbelievably effective

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hey guys, what's a better set of Porygon nicknames? 2unior and Zenior, or 2pac and JayZ?

edit: whoops, doublepostin'. Didn't realize no one posted here this morning.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 4, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Personally I like 2pac and JayZ more.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Throwing in another vote for 2pac and JayZ.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Immer posted:

Throwing in another vote for 2pac and JayZ.

Yeah that's clearly the answer

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
My Porygon-Z is named Vanellope.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I don't know, I'm a big fan of 2unior and Zenior

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I've got 3 5IV Timburr, One for each ability, but I've got no idea which to actually train. Conkledurr has waaaay too many viable options. I think he might be the only pokemon where all three abilities are worth using.

EDIT: And now I've got 3 5IV Scraggy and the same problem with them.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 4, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I've got 3 5IV Timburr, One for each ability, but I've got no idea which to actually train. Conkledurr has waaaay too many viable options. I think he might be the only pokemon where all three abilities are worth using.

Make a Team Conkeldurr to rival Team Lapras

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

EDIT: And now I've got 3 5IV Scraggy and the same problem with them.

Depending on if you you have tutor move avalible, drain punch/mach punch/ice punch/knock off is the go to move set. From there, I prefer guts because people love to throw will o wisp around, but iron fist is good if you have a status absorber and good prediction. I have no idea in what you do with a sheer force one though, I've never used one myself.

For Scrafty I swear by shed skin bulk-up/drain punch/knock off/rest, though moxie High jump kick/knock off/dragon dance/iron head(ice punch)seems like it could be good too.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Porygons, especially Zs, should just be named a string of gibberish. Like k2nsd57('/.exe or something. They're glitchy files, they should look that way.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Tardigrade posted:

Porygons, especially Zs, should just be named a string of gibberish. Like k2nsd57('/.exe or something. They're glitchy files, they should look that way.

J/-\y_/V.exe then for Porygon Z? Are slashes even allowed in pokemon nicknames?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if(lookfrog)

Shame twelve is the max character limit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fiend Computer posted:

Depending on if you you have tutor move avalible, drain punch/mach punch/ice punch/knock off is the go to move set. From there, I prefer guts because people love to throw will o wisp around, but iron fist is good if you have a status absorber and good prediction. I have no idea in what you do with a sheer force one though, I've never used one myself.

For Scrafty I swear by shed skin bulk-up/drain punch/knock off/rest, though moxie High jump kick/knock off/dragon dance/iron head(ice punch)seems like it could be good too.

I don't have move Tutor but I've got Drain and Mach bred on all of them.

For Scrafty I'm feeling the Shed Skin Build but I don't have move tutor available for Knock off so I guess I'll hold onto this one til XY2/Z and just built the Moxie one for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The White Dragon posted:

if(lookfrog)

Shame twelve is the max character limit.

This is great.

Also, throwing a vote in for 2pac and Jay Z.

• Locked thread