Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Well, the PC version looks a heck of a lot better than the PS3 version.

All the people on Reddit and the Namco forums who bitch about getting invaded constantly must love it when the servers are down.

How on earth is anyone getting invaded "constantly"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

PirateBob posted:

How do I make my weapon do additional fire/lightning/dark/magic damage? I've got my mace at +10 and I have some magic upgrade items...

You have to grab a very particular dull item from location spoiler Iron Keep. It's obtainable after you take out the smaller boss. Then take it to a individual in location spoiler Lost Bastille. You may have to blow up some walls to access it however.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is anyone else getting the "Try again later" message when trying to log into the game server?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ulvirich posted:

You have to grab a very particular dull item from location spoiler Iron Keep. It's obtainable after you take out the smaller boss.

You don't have to take out any bosses to get it, you just need to be able to access the iron keep (and press L3 :D).

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

How on earth is anyone getting invaded "constantly"?

They probably get owned by the AI invaders constantly and are too stupid/bad to realize it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm getting really annoyed with Watcher and Defender. Not because of the fight itself, but the walk to them is eroding my patience rather quickly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They should put some ogres on the path to make it more interesting.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

turtlecrunch posted:

Don't feel bad. The drop rates on anything cool looking (that you don't buy from the boss armor vendor) tend to be beyond poo poo, such that I've played the game through like 10 times or something and my last playthrough was the first one where I got a kickass looking red lion cape from the lion-men.

If it helps, +10 merchant hat and +10 Prison Tatters and some rusty coins help a bit more, also the gold serpent +2 ring which can be get pretty quick if you BFA'd the Gargs. Compared to a non upgraded hat, the Mad Warrior set only took only 4 hrs compared to maybe a whole day for that bastard to give me his goddamn mask (I had everything else)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm getting really annoyed with Watcher and Defender. Not because of the fight itself, but the walk to them is eroding my patience rather quickly.

I beat them and Nashandra in one go, back to back. What are you doing to die there?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

You don't have to take out any bosses to get it, you just need to be able to access the iron keep (and press L3 :D).

What the hell is L3? Playing KB+M.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

turtlecrunch posted:

Is the thing that swoops at you in Sinner's Rise Pursueagle or a dragon? I honestly can't ever tell because I'm too busy fighting crossbow assholes. It sounds kind of like a dragon but that eagle sounds pretty weird too, and I thought I saw Our Good Chum hanging from its talons last time but I wasn't sure.

It's the gargoyles from the belltower. They don't swoop down if you've killed them. It's just a neat clue there's more content than the design might let on.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PirateBob posted:

What the hell is L3? Playing KB+M.

He means make a jump for it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

poptart_fairy posted:

It's the gargoyles from the belltower. They don't swoop down if you've killed them. It's just a neat clue there's more content than the design might let on.

:aaaaa:

Well that would be useful if it stayed around long enough to see it clearly while I was fighting guys I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Randy posted:

They probably get owned by the AI invaders constantly and are too stupid/bad to realize it

To be fair some of them are significantly better than normal. Like the guy in the wharf if you use a bonfire ascetic. He can kill you in a single combo.

quote:

It's just a neat clue there's more content than the design might let on.

My favorite background thing so far is turning around after fighting the OIK and seeing that the Iron Keep is being held on to/held up by a giant minotaur statue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It just occurred to me that I thought I'd finished Lost Bastille (plus Sinner's Rise), but... wasn't Belfry Luna supposed to be there somewhere? loving hell I suck at exploring :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

It just occurred to me that I thought I'd finished Lost Bastille (plus Sinner's Rise), but... wasn't Belfry Luna supposed to be there somewhere? loving hell I suck at exploring :(

There's a ladder in the servant's quarters that will take you where you need to go. Bring a lockstone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, that'd be why I missed it then. loving lockstones. There anywhere I can buy/get lots of those, eventually?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair some of them are significantly better than normal. Like the guy in the wharf if you use a bonfire ascetic. He can kill you in a single combo.
Does he only spawn once per playthrough/ascetic level?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

Hahah it's alright.. you just overlooked it. :v:

Remember the bonfire after you beat the Ruin Sentinels? Notice there is a ladder near it? Go down there, there is a Pharros Lockstone you need to use and bam, hidden wall to Belfry Luna. Uh I think the Ratbro Cov sells them but i"m not sure. They are litered all over the place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, that'd be why I missed it then. loving lockstones. There anywhere I can buy/get lots of those, eventually?

You can buy one off the old hag, otherwise just bum around for them. I have like a dozen without going out of my way to not use them (except in the grave of saints and doors of pharros, for obvious reasons).

quote:

Does he only spawn once per playthrough/ascetic level?

He respawns I believe but doesn't show up until intensity 2/ng+. Or at least, he didn't show up in my game until then. I'd have to go back and check about it. His armor pieces are rare drops so hopefully he does.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Decided to try a more dexterity based character, despite hearing dex isn't so good this time around.

Are spears still valid? I'm thinking of using a Winged Spear for now, with a Falchion as a backup 2nd weapon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I beat them and Nashandra in one go, back to back. What are you doing to die there?

First two just stunlocked me twice 5 second after walking through the gate. The next one I'm trying to figure out what to do about her curse bullshit and died twice trying to figure that out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

First two just stunlocked me twice 5 second after walking through the gate. The next one I'm trying to figure out what to do about her curse bullshit and died twice trying to figure that out.

Elizabeth mushroom when you get constatly cursed. The slow healing pretty much counters the health you lose when you are constantly cursed. 13 mushrooms can be bought from Agydane in Undead Crypt. Either that or smack those gysers. Yes you can dispell them if you run up to them and smack them with your sword/mace or whatever you have.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Shindragon posted:

He means make a jump for it.

Oic. What buffs do I need to survive the fire? :confused:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Are spears still valid? I'm thinking of using a Winged Spear for now, with a Falchion as a backup 2nd weapon.

They suffer in that why would you use a spear instead of something else if you're not going to be shield-tanking (which you're not if you go Dex primary), but they're otherwise still fine. A lot of them now have swings rather than just stabs, which is great.

Also, halberds are Dex weapons and own hard.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PirateBob posted:

Oic. What buffs do I need to survive the fire? :confused:

Flash sweat, one of the fire rings and roll in the water that are in the jars or the Pharros Lockstone after you make that jump for the item. It's up the ladder with the archer.

Or if you want a surefire way, grab the Hex Set from Felkin if you have 20 int and 20 faith. Upgrade that +2 and you won't even that much of a sting once you do all that.

It makes fighting the Ancient Dragon pretty feasible if you have the hex set. You can at least take like one or two of his flame breaths with it on (flash sweat being on of course)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do fire imbuements scale off faith or intelligence?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They suffer in that why would you use a spear instead of something else if you're not going to be shield-tanking (which you're not if you go Dex primary), but they're otherwise still fine. A lot of them now have swings rather than just stabs, which is great.

Also, halberds are Dex weapons and own hard.

So would you recommend halberds over Spears?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Wildtortilla posted:

Do fire imbuements scale off faith or intelligence?

Both actually.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have been trying to find that gargoyle belltower for an hour now. How do I get to that place?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Chipp Zanuff posted:

So would you recommend halberds over Spears?

They generally do more damage with greater variety in their moveset.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Are the salamanders dives/tongue flicks meant to be unblockable? I only ask because some royal guards in the undead crypt were glitching attacks through the pursuers greatshield once. Also gently caress the rear end in a top hat that put one blocking any way round its head wall to wall. :argh:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

keyframe posted:

I have been trying to find that gargoyle belltower for an hour now. How do I get to that place?

Servants quarters bonfire, slide down the ladder. You need to place a Phaross stone.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers? It's not the VAC ban.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd like to run a sword & board / mace & board build. How much str/dex should I be aiming for? I started as a warrior. So far I've put nothing into attunement/faith/int, but after getting through a few bosses & areas I've got VGR 13, END 15, VIT 15, STR 25, DEX 20, ADP 15. I've been leaning awfully heavily on the Mace and the Fire Longsword, though I feel like eventually the Fire Longsword might top out as I fail to level faith or int.

EDIT: Shield-wise, I've been running Large Leather or Silver Eagle Kite, and armor-wise it depends a lot on how heavy I want to be, but Elite Knight and Falconer have treated me well. I'm currently trying Brigand, but it seems pretty flimsy. So much stamina though!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers? It's not the VAC ban.

The login servers are apparently down right now.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Are the salamanders dives/tongue flicks meant to be unblockable? I only ask because some royal guards in the undead crypt were glitching attacks through the pursuers greatshield once. Also gently caress the rear end in a top hat that put one blocking any way round its head wall to wall. :argh:

Yeah the fire salamanders stuff is all unblockable. They are probably the most pain in the rear end enemies to fight melee style. If you have the cat ring and cat legs, you can probably survive the plunging attack you can do on one of them. It's a pretty cool animation, even if it the way it's done is a little glitchy.

Also for the halberd guys.

Go to Shaded Woods, the 3rd BF and you can find the Black Knight halberd. One of the best halberds in the game with only 26 DEX to wield it I think.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

voltron lion force posted:

The login servers are apparently down right now.

Thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, I completely failed to explore down that ladder in the servant's quarters, apparently. New strength weapon, woo!

New question, is there anything in particular that should be my first target for this fragrant branch of yore I have? Will I get enough of them for all the targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Flash sweat, one of the fire rings and roll in the water that are in the jars or the Pharros Lockstone after you make that jump for the item. It's up the ladder with the archer.

Or if you want a surefire way, grab the Hex Set from Felkin if you have 20 int and 20 faith. Upgrade that +2 and you won't even that much of a sting once you do all that.

It makes fighting the Ancient Dragon pretty feasible if you have the hex set. You can at least take like one or two of his flame breaths with it on (flash sweat being on of course)

Thanks. What's the most useful thing to infuse a weapon with?