Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Godsend in Round 1 on SCG in Cincinnati. I like this new standard already.

Edit: Also Vanmeter resuming his quest to shave again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If you use Skybind's Constellation effect on a creature Unearthed by Whip of Erebos, do you get it back for keeps, like with Obzedat?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

BizarroAzrael posted:

If you use Skybind's Constellation effect on a creature Unearthed by Whip of Erebos, do you get it back for keeps, like with Obzedat?

Yep. Since you're exiling it, whip won't move it somewhere else since it would replace exiling with exiling. At the beginning of the next end step it comes back as a brand new permanent that won't be exiled the next time it leaves.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Junk Midrange just ulted new Ajani. The SCG overlay can't show 3 digits of life, so it goes to 99. Cedric: "Now we're just misrepresenting the gamestate".

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Ajani Ultimate on camera, Star City's on-screen graphics can only support up to 99 life.

EDIT: god drat you

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why did mono black aggro keep a 5 lander? :psyduck:

EDIT: Devotion rather, still seems like a terrible keep.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

Why did mono black aggro keep a 5 lander? :psyduck:

EDIT: Devotion rather, still seems like a terrible keep.

No, it was the aggro deck that kept 5 lands. We didn't see the beginning of that game in the Naya v Black Devotion deck. The reason he kept 5 lands and 2 one drops is because he is not very good at Magic: the Gathering.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Veyrall posted:

It's weird that they're going out of their way to make Xenagos a bad guy who is really bad and does bad things, though I guess being an actual psychopath could explain why the other gods hate him so much.

Except so is Mogis...? I think the story is pretty cool though, but I can't find the Ashiok one.
I don't think many of the gods are that fond of Mogis either, to be fair. But he's manageable and a known factor; Xenagos is intruding upon and threatening their status quo, so he has to be paid much more attention. (Though the different gods have their different personalities and will be pissed off for more and less selfish reasons).

The Ashiok story is Dreams of the City.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
So, I know this whole free tournament stuff today they supposed to be messing with the the games and such to test things out, but other than the match times getting bumped up periodically, I can't tell if things are freezing up due to the messing with the tournament or if that just typical MTGO beta client behavior.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Wait, is it Pharika like "Fair-Ick-Uh" or "Fuh-Reek-uh"? Like, My Fair Lady, or She's a Freak?

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 3, 2014

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Holy crap BG Dredge looks pretty insane

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Veyrall posted:

Wait, is it Pharika like "Fair-Ick-Uh" or "Fuh-Reek-uh"? Like, My Fair Lady, or She's a Freak?

To complicate matters, I've been saying "Far-eeka."

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It's pronounced "jiff"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Veyrall posted:

its a made up word. so both

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That Naya Hexproof deck blows. Entirely. And UW Autopilot is destroying it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Rampager bloodrush into Boros Charm combo seems sweet until you realize it dies to, uh, any disruption whatsoever. They did also mention that he expected to play a lot of aggro this weekend, and this deck just seems beefy enough (and has enough recurring life gain) to do well against aggro.

Edit: Adrian Sullivan with the gorgeous Urza block Islands and Odyssey Plains. He's the best

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 3, 2014

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Sampatrick posted:

Holy crap BG Dredge looks pretty insane

Would you mind linking a list?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Veyrall posted:

Definitely the latter; my friend posits that all of the gorgons are pretty much incredibly elaborate drag queens.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sharzak posted:

Would you mind linking a list?

I definitely will as soon as SCG releases a deck tech or if it top 8s

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there some sort of brand standard against pronouns?

Even Ashiok is afraid of the worst nightmare of them all: gender.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sampatrick posted:

I definitely will as soon as SCG releases a deck tech or if it top 8s

Cedric basically read the entire list during the coverage, I wouldn't be surprised if it appears somewhere soon.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I did my second draft on Thursday and went 2-1 after putting together a blue/white deck. Sadly they aren't drafting Nyx stuff until this upcoming Thursday so I didn't get to play with the new cards. I did manage to pull an Ephara, God of the Polis on my first pack. Snagged a few rares that were getting passed to me even though they weren't really good. And on my 3rd pack opened up a Thoughtseize and kept it even though I wasn't playing black.

TCG's deck builder thing is pretty cool and I ordered a white weenie deck minus the mutavaults and Brimaz. I figure I can fill in those gaps with more plains and something else. I'm hoping this might do alright at FNM at the my local store.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
MODO freezes while I'm executing Quillspike Combo™ :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

mehall posted:

If you're referring to Ashiok, Ashiok is Ashiok. There is no "he" or "she", merely Ashiok.

If knowing Ashiok's gender would be comforting to you, I have bad news

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Watching SCG and I cannot believe it has come to the point that I am actively rooting for the burn deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone else think that at 8 bucks, Xenagos the walker is underpriced? I can't see it going much below that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If there's a RG deck after rotation Xenagos goes in it and its price spikes, but that's a big if.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

If there's a RG deck after rotation Xenagos goes in it and its price spikes, but that's a big if.

Honestly what does RG have after rotation?
A mana ramping walker and a god that makes things hasty and swole.

And a dragon and hydras.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

And a dragon and hydras.

Right now Xenagos is in the Jund Monsters deck, and that decks creature base is almost entirely block. It loses a lot of it's removal, but thats true for any deck right now.

(Yes, yes, the deck loses Domri Rade which is a huge blow, I know.)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Y'know, whenever I see Harry Corvese on cam, he's always 1) being super salty about something and 2) getting stomped. What's the point if you aren't having a good time?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Launch the fleet is the best limited card and I want to play it in constructed.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
B/G Dredge is so pretty.

Golgari Charm on Banishing Light to get back a 10/10 Nighthowler, which is thrown at the opponent's face with Jarad for lethal.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm so pleased to watch someone use Jarad to fling a 10/10 Nighthowler to the dome for the win against U/B control. :allears:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
gently caress the nighthowler, BG dredge is playing Rot Farm Skeleton :swoon: :flashfap: :swoon:

e: U/W scum going to 5 game 3 :unsmigghh:

e2: the perfect 5 card hand :smith:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BG Dredge also bricking on lands the past few turns. eloi eloi lama sabacthani

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

qbert posted:

B/G Dredge is so pretty.

Golgari Charm on Banishing Light to get back a 10/10 Nighthowler, which is thrown at the opponent's face with Jarad for lethal.

So what's the deal with using those dice and (I presume accidentally) misrepresenting the number of creatures in his graveyard? He had the dice on 10, milled and ticked it up to 12, and then when they were counting up for that lethal toss it turns out it was actually 10. And it seems like representing that you had lethal prior to the mill hitting isn't very cool.

Are the dice just a tool for him, and he has no responsibility for saying "yeah I have 10 creatures in here" when it's not true.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I hate watching BG Dredge in tournaments. It's like the ultimate underdog story, except without the part where it wins in the end.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The announcers keep mentioning 20 lands, but with Caryatids, Wayfinders, Grisly, and Commune is 20 really awful? I guess the answer can easily be "YES." given this evidence but generally speaking I suppose.

EDIT:
I think Mystic is in there too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

And a dragon and hydras.

The creature curve of Courser, Polukranos and Stormbreath is too good for there not be a deck after rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

The creature curve of Courser, Polukranos and Stormbreath is too good for there not be a deck after rotation.

All it's missing is the 1/1 mana dork, actually.

And then, we ride. :getin:

• Locked thread