Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No wheelie away, loses points. But still a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yeah, annoying reddit rageface poo poo aside that's awesome. So much more subtle than hitting their killswitch, definitely stored away for the next group ride...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Make sure the kill switch isn't disabled....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-5mWNOLo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

He's only pushing the stand down enough for the switch to trigger, not all the way.

And that crash. :catstare: Did he just panic squeeze the front brake as hard as he could when he thought he was coming in too hot?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Collateral Damage posted:

He's only pushing the stand down enough for the switch to trigger, not all the way.

And that crash. :catstare: Did he just panic squeeze the front brake as hard as he could when he thought he was coming in too hot?

from reading the comments apparently she just panicked after seeing she was running out of ground and grabbed the front.

but yeah holy poo poo i have never seen a bike do a front flip like that

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The kickstand fell down and the killswitch didn't work, you can see the camera come up on a white gouge in the road before she flips. Came out of it with some broken bones iirc

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In a random bike accident-related discussion on facebook, some dude piped up with his own experience with crashing.

Apparently he was riding behind a car on the motorway when a truck wanted to pull in from the onramp. The car braked instead of accelerating, and he accelerated right into the back of it :downs:

According to him, it was all the car driver's fault because reasons :eng99:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
It's easy to make the assumption that because it's time to go, everyone will go. I had a near miss once not paying close attention to what the car in front of me was doing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're right that if you're not paying attention, people acting unexpectedly can catch you by surprise. That's why you have to expect the unexpected, I guess.

He got extremely pissed when I pointed out that the crash was his own drat fault, though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

Isn't that the same road the redneck in the truck tried to run the rider off the road a couple of years ago?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Near it but not the same road.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 2, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
There's an enormous area of the midwest that looks exactly the same as every other area of the midwest, too. That could be essentially anywhere between Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Iowa.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

nsaP posted:

Entered a long sweeper from inside the curve and dialed in way too much lean angle === oops I guess I ran out of road lol.

KozmoNaut posted:

In a random bike accident-related discussion on facebook, some dude piped up with his own experience with crashing.

Apparently he was riding behind a car on the motorway when a truck wanted to pull in from the onramp. The car braked instead of accelerating, and he accelerated right into the back of it :downs:

According to him, it was all the car driver's fault because reasons :eng99:

I don't know why you would assume a car would accelerate to free up space for an inbound merging vehicle. If you're driving a econobox with no oomph and you're boxed into your lane, trying to accelerate past the merge point is a terrible idea. Unless the driver was just an idiot slowing down 500 yards behind the merge point and the truck was clearly not going fast enough to create a merge conflict.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mguirk the jerk posted:

Entered a long sweeper from inside the curve and dialed in way too much lean angle === oops I guess I ran out of road lol.

Or as was mentioned by myself and others, the kickstand was down and dug into the road. Hard to turn when a hunk of metal is pushing against you.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

nsaP posted:

Or as was mentioned by myself and others, the kickstand was down and dug into the road. Hard to turn when a hunk of metal is pushing against you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN14nwPMmrM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

i'm the doesn't even know how to pick up a bike

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

And you see ignition locks that prevent this from happening are bad because *gets crucified by CA hivemind*

The Bandit has a kickstand starter lock, and I think it's a smart idea. It just gets a little dirty now and then.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

What's the difference between that and a safety cutoff switch?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah I think people would agree you shouldn't disable them

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

There's an enormous area of the midwest that looks exactly the same as every other area of the midwest, too. That could be essentially anywhere between Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Iowa.

It's an nsaP/ Assfault Junkies post, there's a really high chance it would be KY 22.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My DRZ one is disabled because of stairs and ledges. It's a hard one to miss though, the kickstand is pretty huge.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Retarded Pimp posted:

It's an nsaP/ Assfault Junkies post, there's a really high chance it would be KY 22.

or 159 or 10 or 915 or this video, 19

Man, can't believe I found 0 crashes on 915 but here's a near miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzpC2-X_vA&t=206s

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 4, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Man, can't believe I found 0 crashes on 915 but here's a near miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzpC2-X_vA&t=206s

uggggghhhhhh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttttt :stare:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"The new Ninja 636 is exactly the same as the ZX10. I guarantee you that I could blindfold someone, put them on the 636, then put them on the 10 and they couldn't tell the difference."
"My son needs a seat cowl because he's not going to be riding two up. I'm glad; riding two up on a sport bike is stupid."

tjones
May 13, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

"My son needs a seat cowl because he's not going to be riding two up. I'm glad; riding two up on a sport bike is stupid."

I just ordered a seat cowl for this very reason. Not that it is stupid, but a super-sport isn't the best bike to ride with a passenger. I finally broke down and got a cowl because I'm tried of people looking at me like I'm a monster when I tell them that I won't allow them to ride along. Somewhere down the line I changed my attitude from not caring about it to not wanting to be responsible for getting anyone hurt if something were to happen.

This is not to say I ride like an idiot with people on the back, but even being the safest rider isn't removing all chances of an accident. So while that quote may not have been taken out of context, I can still see where whoever said that is coming from. Especially if said son is younger and more inexperienced.

The ZX10 comment is priceless however.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wouldn't say it's "stupid" to ride two-up on a supersport but it sounds about as fun as being the passenger in a Lotus.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Which is actually a lot of fun if said Lotus is on a track, and the driver is a former touring car driver.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
He was talking from a safety perspective. Cruisers are the only bikes people should two-up on.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pope Mobile posted:

He was talking from a safety perspective. Cruisers are the only bikes people should two-up on.

I ran into one of those this weekend. Oh I will never let my boyfriend ride on the freeway on a sportbike. It's okay if he's on a harley though. Those are safer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't say it's "stupid" to ride two-up on a supersport but it sounds about as fun as being the passenger in a Lotus.

It's more like driving a lotus being forced to tow a trailer. Kind of fun in it's own way but mostly just frustrating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both equally relevant:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Just buy a second lotus...duh.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Both equally relevant:

A little off-topic, but gee golly gosh, that's some great advertising. I miss those 80s plain-talk magazine ads.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Who knew some advertisers in the 80s could see internet memes coming?

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

nsaP posted:

Who knew some advertisers in the 80s could see internet memes coming?

The internet just took 22 years to catch up. Simple.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mguirk the jerk posted:

A little off-topic, but gee golly gosh, that's some great advertising. I miss those 80s plain-talk magazine ads.
I like the ads that actually had a paragraph or two to describe what the hell it is they're selling, instead of today's ads that just try to sell an emotion and connect it to a brand.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I rode in to work today and stopped to get a bagel and the cashier asked me what kinda bike I had (Fz6) and he goes "Yeah I used to be in to Suzukis, but now I'm all about them Harleys, I'm a choppa man now. Seriously you should switch, mainly because it's so much easier to control and you won't ever lose control of your bike like you can on a sport bike, much safer!" :psyduck:

Didn't want to get in to it, so I just said yeah whatever works man!

I mean, you can ride safely on cruisers or sportbikes or whatever, but how would you lose control easier on a lighter bike with a more balanced center of gravity?

It's really hard to find riders who aren't biased - just ride and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well y'know, them front brakes are like a layer dan lever after all

• Locked thread