Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Strings are kinda soft I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Cross-quoting from the anime thread because it made me thing of something:

ichibanMuffin posted:

I think the best part of this so far is how outrageously they are hyping DIO with each episode (each episode is outdoing the previous in this regard). I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before. Maybe Griffith from Berserk in the second half? It's starting to get really funny.

This aspect of the show/manga was always sort of interesting to me because the payoff actually was really good for it. Dio was built up to be hardcore and he reaaally, really was. The entire final fight against Dio was great, in my opinion. Especially the chase scene.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Absolutely. I'd say that the hyping of DIO works so well because everybody watching should already think that they know who DIO is and what he can do, so when he's portrayed as this unfathomable shadowy being it gets you wondering what's so different about him this time. And when you slowly start to get the answers in the end it is one hell of a payoff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The build up and inevitable fight with Dio is one of the best things about Stardust Crusaders in general. It feels weirder later when they try to deify him in Stone Ocean considering he's not around, but SC builds off you thinking Dio still has the same toys, when he's got a whole new host of poo poo, even better minions. I also love them showing all if the characters close to Dio right now as well because it even gives the idea that these people must be something special too for Dio to be operating with him.

I mean they're gonna be disappointed if they think anything's gonna come out of Nukesaku considering he'll be the last one to show up, but Petshop and Enya are gonna be good times.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Absolutely. I'd say that the hyping of DIO works so well because everybody watching should already think that they know who DIO is and what he can do, so when he's portrayed as this unfathomable shadowy being it gets you wondering what's so different about him this time. And when you slowly start to get the answers in the end it is one hell of a payoff.

That aspect is great. I mean, Dio with just his Vampire powers would be strong enough as is, but combined with The World he's pretty much broken.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Zorak posted:

That aspect is great. I mean, Dio with just his Vampire powers would be strong enough as is, but combined with The World he's pretty much broken.

Honestly, that's the only thing about the final battle that bugs me: Did Dio just forget he had eye lasers that whole time?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
No, Araki did

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also just as likely he remember but didn't care to dwell on old powers when they'd add nothing to a fight that's supposed to showcase the villain and protagonist using the rules set for them by the new powers. Don't forget that Joseph using the ripple did gently caress all to Dio, showing that Araki was throwing the old powers out.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
To be fair, Dio was pretty good at stopping the ripple when facing Jonathan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MelvinBison posted:

Honestly, that's the only thing about the final battle that bugs me: Did Dio just forget he had eye lasers that whole time?

Why use mere eye lasers when you can stop time and throw a million knives at them? It's all about the theatrics.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It's also just as likely he remember but didn't care to dwell on old powers when they'd add nothing to a fight that's supposed to showcase the villain and protagonist using the rules set for them by the new powers. Don't forget that Joseph using the ripple did gently caress all to Dio, showing that Araki was throwing the old powers out.

Are you doubting the power of SPACE RIPPER STINGY EYES? :colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agent Interrobang posted:

Are you doubting the power of SPACE RIPPER STINGY EYES? :colbert:

Yeah, I do actually. Given that Joseph managed to catch and redirect the beams while being a regular human, albeit with good reflexes, I doubt that it would have presented any challenge for Star Platinum to ORAORA them straight out of the air.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Zorak posted:

This aspect of the show/manga was always sort of interesting to me because the payoff actually was really good for it. Dio was built up to be hardcore and he reaaally, really was. The entire final fight against Dio was great, in my opinion. Especially the chase scene.

With the panel-by-panel precision David has been animating the manga, I can't loving wait for Dio's first explicit time stop.

I can already see it with my mind's eye, Dio advancing towards poor Kakyoin through that frozen frame. :derp: I wonder if anyone in the anime thread will be able to figure out The World's ability without foreknowledge, it's not impossible to deduce it from his encounter with Hol Horse.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

He was transitioning out, but the whole knife throw by Dio was because Joseph wrapped himself in ripple infused Hermit Purple.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pinegala posted:

He was transitioning out, but the whole knife throw by Dio was because Joseph wrapped himself in ripple infused Hermit Purple.
I thought that's why he smashed the building beneath Joseph?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm so hype for the colors they use when in DIO'S THE WORLD.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pinegala posted:

That's fair, but you could make the argument that Araki was showing if the most the ripple could be at that point was just a shield, it really had run its course.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 3, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope they being back the race car sound effect from the ova. That was always one of the cooler things about that adaptation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I couldn't help myself and started reading the Stardust Crusaders manga, mainly because I wanted to see how The World was introduced.

Can I just go on the record as saying three pages of Steely Dan getting his face punched in is the best thing? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 3, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I couldn't help myself and started reading the Stardust Crusaders manga, mainly because I wanted to see how The World was introduced.

Can I just go on the record as saying three pages of Steely Dan getting his face punched in is the best thing? :allears:

There is only one character in the series that gets a longer beatdown and he was even more loathsome then Steely Dan.

Also how do you feel about Hol Horse

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have no idea who that is getting the crap kicked out of them by Giorno, but that was amazing.

Hol Horse? He seems to alternate between being a jerk and a decent guy. Why?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have no idea who that is getting the crap kicked out of them by Giorno, but that was amazing.

Hol Horse? He seems to alternate between being a jerk and a decent guy. Why?

I shall let this image speak for me.

Ok It does not speak for me. Hol Horse is just an entertaining character from the part who could more or less be considered the 8th main character and I just wanted to see what your opinion was on him.

Edit:I have no Idea why that art exists. But I think it implies that Hol Horse was going to join the party at some point before Araki changed his mind or something

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 4, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aww, that's a shame. I thought he was going to reform when they fought The Justice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He still shows up quite a bit after however and is entertaining each time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hol Horse is the quintessential JoJo goon and one of the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow, Boingo and Oingo. I thought Dio would save his best guys for last.

Do Jotaro and Co. ever even realize that they only fight seven of the Nine Gods' Stand users?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is only one character in the series that gets a longer beatdown and he was even more loathsome then Steely Dan.

And this happens right after one of the most :gonk:-rear end moments (for me, at least) in the entire series

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to leave for work now, but I just passed the chapter where Alessi is defeated and this series is just the best. :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So how long does it take for Araki to make an issue of JJBA? I'm dying to know what the gently caress is going on in JoJolion because it's such an interesting mystery as to what exactly is going on, but I only see a new issue every other month.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's a monthly series so...:v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Hol Horse is the quintessential JoJo goon and one of the best.

I love any villain that really recognizes his place in the universe and is content with it. Hol Horse only pawn in game of life.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Yeah, Araki switched to a monthly schedule for SBR. Seems to have been good for him, but it does make waiting for new chapters kinda agonizing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Serious question: Is there a Yu-Gi-Oh villain based on D'Arby? He reminds me a lot of Pegasus.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 4, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Serious question: Is there a Yu-Gi-Oh villain based on D'Arby? He reminds me a lot of Pegasus.

Wouldn't surprise me, literally everyone involved in the manga scene at least knows about JoJo's. It might be the most referenced manga of all time.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The creator of Yu-Gi-Oh is a JoJo fan. The original premise of the series was "Shadow games" (pretty much betting one's soul on games. The Magic: The Gathering parody stuck and became the main focus)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aaand, just finished reading Stardust Crusaders.

Why did Avdol have to die? And Kakyoin? And Iggy? Stardust Crusaders made all of these great characters and I didn't want any of them to die. :smith:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why did Avdol have to die? And Kakyoin? And Iggy? Stardust Crusaders made all of these great characters and I didn't want any of them to die. :smith:

It's truly, truly been a roundabout journey.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's Jojo, somebody has to get Zeppeli'd by the main villain

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I honestly don't see how people like SBR as the best of the series or as some groundbreaking narrative. It's got an impossibly lovely ending, bad pacing, Sandman's pointless arc, nasty plot holes and a moral of the story that comes out as poo poo HAPPENS/Futility of life/gently caress it. And don't bother with a proper epilogue until Jojolion comes around.

Stone Ocean still runs laps around SBR for days outside of the much improved art as SBR goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You could make a lot of the same complaints about Stone Ocean.

I think the most solid arc is part 4, minimal plot holes, excellent side characters, the main Jojo never stays relevant the whole time. The only problem is the slow pacing gets screwed up when Araki was forced to wrap it up.

• Locked thread