Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

I got a pretty solid deal for unlimited everything and 4G through my old work ($70 a month after all taxes), my 2 year is up in September and I want a new phone (galaxy S5 looks like it so far) will this reset my contract or raise my rates?

If you have a personal plan with that work discount and no longer work there you will likely lose the discount, whenever a personal line upgrades they recheck the discount.

If it's under the company name or you still work there, you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
Framily plan question: I'm not a current Sprint customer, but my friend wants me to join his framily plan. Can I buy a used Sprint device on eBay or something and bring it with me, or is the catch here that you HAVE to buy a phone at full price direct from Sprint when you come in? I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. My feeling is that with a $25 plan there must be a catch somewhere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I hope their severance packages are goddamn katanas wrapped in rice paper with instructions on how to shank oneself through the gut.

Sanyo Katanas

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

real dilemma posted:

Framily plan question: I'm not a current Sprint customer, but my friend wants me to join his framily plan. Can I buy a used Sprint device on eBay or something and bring it with me, or is the catch here that you HAVE to buy a phone at full price direct from Sprint when you come in? I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. My feeling is that with a $25 plan there must be a catch somewhere.
I'm 99% sure you can. The options are bring your own Sprint phone with a clean ESN, buy one full price or use Easy Pay to pay for it over 24 months. $25 (if there are 7-10 Framily members) only gets you 1GB of data though, it's $10 more for 3GB or $20 for unlimited and the $20 also gives you annual upgrades if you get a phone with Easy Pay.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

real dilemma posted:

I just made the switch to Framily and I'm working on getting my girlfriend and her family on board. The research I've done indicates that as long as the phone you bring is a Sprint branded device, with a clean ESN, you can activate it on Sprint's network. You don't have to buy a device directly from Sprint. From what I've read, not personal experience, swappa.com seems to be a better alternative than eBay. You could also get a Google Nexus 5 directly from the Play Store as well.

Anyone know if the Google Nexus 5 is still considered a good phone?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jfff posted:

Anyone know if the Google Nexus 5 is still considered a good phone?

Yes, it is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Any phone in the last 12 months is fine. Get the one that has the features that are important to you. People over think their smartphones way too much. They are all really powerful now, to the point where there is no difference between any of them if all you look at is the spec sheet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Any phone in the last 12 months is fine. Get the one that has the features that are important to you. People over think their smartphones way too much. They are all really powerful now, to the point where there is no difference between any of them if all you look at is the spec sheet.

Also older iPhones are good too. The iphone 5 runs something like $200 on swappa and still is a great phone. Personally I'd only go down as far as a 5 because the price to performance trade off just isn't worth it past that.

Also 5c's are stupid cheap for sprint on swappa.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
So I wrote to the dan@sprint address telling them about how bad the dropped calls/texts and zero data have gotten, and it seems like all I got for my effort was a text bragging about the tower updrades in my area.

Hrm.

Might be time to root/force roam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Stick100 posted:

Also older iPhones are good too. The iphone 5 runs something like $200 on swappa and still is a great phone. Personally I'd only go down as far as a 5 because the price to performance trade off just isn't worth it past that.

Also 5c's are stupid cheap for sprint on swappa.

Not able to check Swappa as of this post, but the Moto X is another phone to look into as well. I've noticed on sites such as Ebay that they are cheap on Sprint.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
So the service in my area (Westside suburbs of Cleveland) is just awful. I have an Airrave in my home and STILL can't get a solid signal in my home (talking on the phone still cuts in and out). I was already talking to a service rep as the store promised to remove the phone activation and didn't (wasn't surprised but I knew I could get it off since they lied). After he took off the fee I mentioned my service still kind of sucked. He said he would mention that to the engineers for the towers and then walked me through removing LTE from my phone. He said that only having CDMA activated on my phone would fix my connectivity issues.

Does this sound right? Kind of sounds bogus to tell someone to remove 4G and LTE from their selected networks on a new Galaxy S5...whats the point of having anything other than a boring flip phone if I can't really get access to a strong 4G or LTE network?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Not able to check Swappa as of this post, but the Moto X is another phone to look into as well. I've noticed on sites such as Ebay that they are cheap on Sprint.

Actually locked to Sprint is quite cheap on the secondary market. So if you're bringing you're own phone suggest any android flagship in the last year (M7,M8,MotoX,G2,Nexus5,GS4,GS5), and all iPhones 5+. I'd suggest staying away from the WP8 phones on Sprint unfortunately.

The one Sprint phone that's probably the most expensive for what you get is the Nexus 5 as it's unlocked so people just take the phone when they drop Sprint service.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

So the service in my area (Westside suburbs of Cleveland) is just awful. I have an Airrave in my home and STILL can't get a solid signal in my home (talking on the phone still cuts in and out). I was already talking to a service rep as the store promised to remove the phone activation and didn't (wasn't surprised but I knew I could get it off since they lied). After he took off the fee I mentioned my service still kind of sucked. He said he would mention that to the engineers for the towers and then walked me through removing LTE from my phone. He said that only having CDMA activated on my phone would fix my connectivity issues.

Does this sound right? Kind of sounds bogus to tell someone to remove 4G and LTE from their selected networks on a new Galaxy S5...whats the point of having anything other than a boring flip phone if I can't really get access to a strong 4G or LTE network?

Try Airave support, there's a power setting that's on there. Also, make sure it's locked to your phones only. If there's more Sprint phones connected than the airave supports and you aren't one of them, it does you no good.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Sprint is also offering me an airrave, as I am losing calls at home. With full bars, mind you, I doubt the airrave can fix that.

I'm on sprint but my wife is on verizon. Is there any argument for the airrave blocking the verizon signal? I don't want it, but I would like a good argument for it not working. Just trying to get my ETF lifted so I can move along to a functioning provider.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

pass the butter posted:

Sprint is also offering me an airrave, as I am losing calls at home. With full bars, mind you, I doubt the airrave can fix that.

I'm on sprint but my wife is on verizon. Is there any argument for the airrave blocking the verizon signal? I don't want it, but I would like a good argument for it not working. Just trying to get my ETF lifted so I can move along to a functioning provider.

No, but in the past if you restricted the numbers who could use the airrave, it would block all the other sprint people in the immediate area.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

I think the problem is that the phone prefers to idle on 4G, and the airraves are currently only 3G. So if there is a marginal 4G signal, your phone will keep trying to use that instead of the airrave unless you put it in 3G only mode.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

lazydog posted:

I think the problem is that the phone prefers to idle on 4G, and the airraves are currently only 3G. So if there is a marginal 4G signal, your phone will keep trying to use that instead of the airrave unless you put it in 3G only mode.

Ok that makes sense. I will try a week like this and see if it improves. If not I will whine until they put up more towers in 2016.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

OssiansFolly posted:

Ok that makes sense. I will try a week like this and see if it improves. If not I will whine until they put up more towers in 2016.

They're definitely working on Cleveland in general. Hopefully your service will get better. From the most recent s4gru update.

Site acceptance report from Friday (4/25) through Sunday (5/4):

Cleveland - 129 updates (86 3G, 37 LTE, 3 iDEN Conversions, 2 Deactivated)

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I am confused. I am an old SERO dude and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I was looking to upgrade. But when I try to buy a new phone online it states that my plan would need to change if I want an HTC One. Can I keep this plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, you just need to call the SERO/EPRP department and get your SERO plan code changed from the WiMax to the LTE one. Not a big deal.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah that makes sense. Thanks!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

They're definitely working on Cleveland in general. Hopefully your service will get better. From the most recent s4gru update.

Site acceptance report from Friday (4/25) through Sunday (5/4):

Cleveland - 129 updates (86 3G, 37 LTE, 3 iDEN Conversions, 2 Deactivated)

I keep hearing about updates, but trust me the service for Sprint here sucks. I am a loyalty guy since my family has had Sprint since the days of pagers, but I can only put up with no service for so long. Once I get married and have kids I can't have my phone sending me 30 text messages 4-15 days late because the coverage sucks...or god forbid I need to call 911 and get the message "Sorry you can't do that at this time" like I did while trying to call a cab company downtown.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh boy, I stupidly took the OTA update I was continually being bugged about on my brand new S4 and now my wifi is broken and there's no apparent fix! :sigh:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
4.4 Kit Kat rolled out to my LG G Flex yesterday and it's probably the first time in my history of owning smartphones that an OTA update made the phone better.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

I keep hearing about updates, but trust me the service for Sprint here sucks. I am a loyalty guy since my family has had Sprint since the days of pagers, but I can only put up with no service for so long. Once I get married and have kids I can't have my phone sending me 30 text messages 4-15 days late because the coverage sucks...or god forbid I need to call 911 and get the message "Sorry you can't do that at this time" like I did while trying to call a cab company downtown.

If you want to leave, you should. Having no service sucks. I was just saying they actually are working on it, not just telling you they were working on it (this time).

VVV what he said

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2014

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
You don't owe any loyalty to any provider. They're all here to earn your money and if you aren't getting the service you desire it's time to send that money elsewhere.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
After bouncing some emails back and forth, sprint is offering to waive my $220.00 ETF in exchange for my handset - which is a galaxy s4, 8meg I believe.

Is that reasonable? I have a year left on my contract, but the service is such crap I really need to get out. But I'm unsure if sending back the device I paid ~$300 for is such a grand deal.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

pass the butter posted:

After bouncing some emails back and forth, sprint is offering to waive my $220.00 ETF in exchange for my handset - which is a galaxy s4, 8meg I believe.

Is that reasonable? I have a year left on my contract, but the service is such crap I really need to get out. But I'm unsure if sending back the device I paid ~$300 for is such a grand deal.
It should be 16GB and if you feel like selling it yourself, you'd probably come out ahead. Swappa has them listed for $245-400, pay your ETF with that and keep the rest. Or if you're interested in T-Mobile, they're still paying ETFs to switch as well.

Edit for a unrelated but Sprint related note:

AND SO IT BEGINS

datajosh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 8, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

datajosh posted:

Or if you're interested in T-Mobile, they're still paying ETFs to switch as well.

Don't you have to turn in your phone to T-Mobile for them to pay ETF?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

Don't you have to turn in your phone to T-Mobile for them to pay ETF?
No, the phone trade in is an additional, separate offer but with the way they advertise the two together it's easy to assume you have to do it.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

datajosh posted:

AND SO IT BEGINS

I should be able tell you how much I get throtteld then when this hits. I would imagine that Chicago will be one of the first markets affected, and I am certainly in the top 5% of users.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

datajosh posted:

It should be 16GB and if you feel like selling it yourself, you'd probably come out ahead. Swappa has them listed for $245-400, pay your ETF with that and keep the rest. Or if you're interested in T-Mobile, they're still paying ETFs to switch as well.

AND SO IT BEGINS

Tmobile and GSM in general is very poor in my area. I live in a smallish town, so the choice here is basically Verizon or dropped calls.

I'll see if I can negotiate with them further. I really feel like they should just waive the ETF since the service has been so horrible, but I get the whole point of the ETF being to recoup costs from expensive handests sold at a discount.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

datajosh posted:

AND SO IT BEGINS

I came to post a different link. I guess sprint is just giving up on network improvements. Just one more reason to switch. I can't see this working out well for customers.

http://consumerist.com/2014/05/08/sprint-changes-tune-will-start-throttling-data-for-heavy-users/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well.... I was able to eat over 5G last month with the crappy 3G.... I will always be above the top 5% if I ever get 4G here.

Crap switching to someone else may become a more viable option more than ever if that happens to me. Would they even throttle their 3G speed more then the .5Mbit I am using now?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
"What a surprising turn of events," said no one at all.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Crap switching to someone else may become a more viable option more than ever if that happens to me. Would they even throttle their 3G speed more then the .5Mbit I am using now?
Yeah, I'm sure they could, maybe force you to 1X after you go over, that would be painful.

I don't think my wife and I really top 4GB so I wasn't worried for a minute there, then I realized that as they throttle, that top 5% is going to constitute a smaller and smaller amount of data and it'll probably apply to me eventually.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It is just Sero is still just a drat good deal..... But man I always want the phones on other carriers (1520 being my main crush for now) and Sprint will never have it.

Maybe I could just trade numbers with a new Prepaid AT&T sim, and drop my Sero to my TP2 and mothball it for $30mo until either they get 4G here and I can decide, or sell the plan.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
How does anyone use 5/gb a month on Sprint? Even their LTE is terrible and spotty.

If throttling helps make my data usable on 3G, where it's currently basically nonexistent, then I'm OK with that. What I don't like is the moving goalposts of "top 5%" which will just continually get smaller and smaller until we're back down to Verizon 2gb caps.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If throttling helps make my data usable on 3G

It won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How does anyone use 5/gb a month on Sprint? Even their LTE is terrible and spotty.

If throttling helps make my data usable on 3G, where it's currently basically nonexistent, then I'm OK with that. What I don't like is the moving goalposts of "top 5%" which will just continually get smaller and smaller until we're back down to Verizon 2gb caps.

When my family moved houses when I was much younger we got hosed by Comcast (they are a local monopoly and when we checked with them they said they would be providing service in the area in the next year, a decade later still no service) and until a couple years ago we were stuck on dialup until we realized that Sprint got good signal and had unlimited internet, we ended up getting a family plan and tethering over the 3g we got.

I can say personally that I generally tried to keep my internet usage to under 500 megs a day but didn't always succeed. We got surprisingly good bandwidth for 3g, not many other people must have been using the tower. I did Youtube, Skype, even a bit of Steam. The latency was bad but you could play MMOs over it too if you downloaded them somewhere else.