Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep! Servers down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So I'm having just tons of fun with my my pretty poison princess. I'm dressed in moon butterfly wings, flying feline boots, lion mage bangles and desert sourceress hood.

I look loving ridiculous, but worse still I kill the poo poo out of people in pvp because I got a spotted whip in one hand and an avelyn in the other, get roughly in the same post code and you're poisoned forever, step out of range and enjoy three bolts every time you finish rolling.

Plus I can totally jump from the top of the doors of pharros arena to the bottom without hurting myself barely at all.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What I want to figure out is how to play a sorcerer character. So many of the enemies aggressively run into your face before you can finish casting your second spell. I've always played melee in the Souls games, and so does anyone have some quick tips for newbie casters?

Grab the Binoculars so you can snipe enemies. Best case you don't deal with groups, worst case you soften them up.

You can upgrade spell tools now. Do it ASAP.

Hexes are great. Consider playing a Int/Faith character.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cmon servers step it up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, is it true the blue sentinels aren't even capable of invading you with less than 10 sin? I think I have 3 between killing two hosts with red eye orbs and 1 from killing Cale (rip map buddy), but that's ridiculous if so. I'd have to kill all of Majula and then some to even start being considered.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PirateBob posted:

So if I'm a str/vig/end build with a +10 mace, infusing won't help me? How do I increase my damage output further? Going over 40 str didn't seem to do much.

A +10 weapon with 40+ in the stat it scales with is essentially your damage cap. You can throw a resin on it but that's about it. I'd suggest trying out a bigger, badder weapon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The worst part about the lag in PvP is that when you see someone start chugging estus, they've already finished drinking on their end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PirateBob posted:

So if I'm a str/vig/end build with a +10 mace, infusing won't help me? How do I increase my damage output further? Going over 40 str didn't seem to do much.
Probably not, no. There isn't anything you can really do to increase your damage output at that point except for trying to wear stuff like the Ring of Blades +2 and such. Using Resins helps, because they add straight damage to a weapon. If you have enough of any casting stat to cast their weapon enchantment spells, those work too.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Anyone know of any modding community? The Nexus mods forums are dead, and the mods at the Wiki are pathetic wannabe dictators who classify all talks of modding as cheating worthy of an instant ban and an eternity of torment for your horrible, evil ways (in short, I disagree with them). I've been working on a program for building proper mods, and I bet there's lots of interest in this, but I don't know where to talk about this with. Maybe I'll make a thread here? Not much to discuss yet since I'm still mostly decoding.

Anyway, my tool's over on Github. The one response I got on the Nexus forums for the release said it didn't work on their computer, so I'm cloning some VirtualBoxes right now to try a clean install and see what the problem is. I'm probably going to just concentrate on DS1 right now, DS2 on PC looks pretty dicey and they encrypt some stuff (I guess to check the public keys against the server) and I'm lazy.

https://github.com/Burton-Radons/Alexandria

Nexus thread here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1598703-dark-souls-12-resource-explorer/

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, is it true the blue sentinels aren't even capable of invading you with less than 10 sin? I think I have 3 between killing two hosts with red eye orbs and 1 from killing Cale (rip map buddy), but that's ridiculous if so. I'd have to kill all of Majula and then some to even start being considered.

I think invading and killing peeps is a sin.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any reason not to ascetic the Majula bonfire?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So I have a really dumb question. How do I aim independently with a bow? (m+kb) There's a salamander I want to poison like 30 feet up a ramp, but I need to get close into lock on range to shoot at it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Motherfucker posted:

I think invading and killing peeps is a sin.

I have no means of getting red eye orbs beyond what I've already used unless I abandon all other covenants and dedicate to bloodbroing exclusively. And that relies on me not losing at dueling. All I needed to do in DS1 to get the darkmoons on me was darken Anor Londo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ravenfood posted:

The fight with Licia gets harder.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Don't do it, those pigs will destroy the world!

Nah, it's fine. You get two skeletons instead of one it seems, and you can duel-fist binoculars. Probably better places to use it though, unless if it ties into some game mechanic I haven't run into yet (don't tell me).

Edit: If you're wearing certain rings that make you invade people in certain towers or crypts, duel-fisting binoculars and running around naked staring at people makes them go nuts and is too much fun. Dodge around them and stare until they jump off a ledge trying to kill you.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 3, 2014

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, I completely failed to explore down that ladder in the servant's quarters, apparently. New strength weapon, woo!

New question, is there anything in particular that should be my first target for this fragrant branch of yore I have? Will I get enough of them for all the targets?
Somebody probably answered this but use it in the Bastille. There's a door in the servant's quarters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So I have a really dumb question. How do I aim independently with a bow? (m+kb) There's a salamander I want to poison like 30 feet up a ramp, but I need to get close into lock on range to shoot at it.

Two hand the bow and hit whatever your "guard" button is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I think they really missed an incredibly important feature:

Why doesn't the ring of whipsers let me hear the mics of people who I'm invading? :colbert:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Do the doors in that room stay open when I use the bonfire? I've been sniping them with lightning spears but I'm out of shots with only half the doors open.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Invasions and NPC murder spree before NG+ are what usually gets people. When you have 10 sin the Blue Sentinels can invade you, and if they kill you it drops your sin by 1. So effectively once you get 10 you'll never drop lower than 9.

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Anyone know of any modding community?

The problem with Dark Souls modding is that beyond texture mods I don't see it being much of "a thing" because there's such a heavy emphasis on online play. If people start introducing proper mods (i.e. new content) then there could be desync issues. The other thing is that "soft" mods (e.g. editing a weapon to have a special status effect that it didn't have previously) just open the floodgates on really lovely cheats that kind of made Dark Souls 1 PC get a bad reputation.

Ravenfood posted:

Pigs. It's moreso that there's very little reason to do it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

Do the doors in that room stay open when I use the bonfire? I've been sniping them with lightning spears but I'm out of shots with only half the doors open.

They do.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Two hand the bow and hit whatever your "guard" button is.

Thanks man, I dunno how I'd missed that. :eng99:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motherfucker posted:

I think they really missed an incredibly important feature:

Why doesn't the ring of whipsers let me hear the mics of people who I'm invading? :colbert:

Thats what I thought it did when I saw it for sale.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I swear when I equip item find gear and use luck boosting items my drop rate goes down :smithicide:

Should I be only using that stuff to find the good items and not things like humanity's?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Umberger posted:

The mansion skeletons are guaranteed to drop one Effigy each. If you go to +8, you're getting at least 36 drops.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Heliosicle posted:

I swear when I equip item find gear and use luck boosting items my drop rate goes down :smithicide:

Should I be only using that stuff to find the good items and not things like humanity's?

Nah go crazy, just don't waste your coins, instead get the jesters hat, prisoner tatters and the covetous golden jewring.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Umberger posted:

The problem with Dark Souls modding is that beyond texture mods I don't see it being much of "a thing" because there's such a heavy emphasis on online play. If people start introducing proper mods (i.e. new content) then there could be desync issues. The other thing is that "soft" mods (e.g. editing a weapon to have a special status effect that it didn't have previously) just open the floodgates on really lovely cheats that kind of made Dark Souls 1 PC get a bad reputation.

Desync is something that could be worked out with the cheat preventer guy, and really, DS1 is very much a single-player game if you want it to be. Mods wouldn't affect the cheating issue. Those are exclusively save game edits, and that has been thoroughly, completely broken. Hopefully DS2 stops that by uploading hashes of save games and checking them, then using VAC to prevent editing the executable. It's nothing that will affect me, as I am not and will not be touching the save game data.

Edit: Well, the only way to really truly prevent cheating is to always be online with the server handling all game logic, and then not have any exploits. Detecting hacked items and other issues will be as necessary for DS2 as it is for DS1. My work won't change that or accelerate it in any way; people are cheating assholes.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 3, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is the jesters hat a higher item rate than the merchant hat?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Umberger posted:

The armor merchant sells a new set at NG++ that's pretty baller.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Oh god why did the servers go down, now I know that I died 395 times over the course of the game. :negative:

Although I'm pretty sure it counts dying as a phantom and I did a fair bit of PvP but still!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

A Yolo Wizard posted:

is the jesters hat a higher item rate than the merchant hat?

Nope. Both are 0.50 in terms of drop rate percentage. HOWEVER +10 either increases that rate. By how much? I dunno but it's much more of a huge difference compared to it not being upgraded.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Nope. Both are 0.50 in terms of drop rate percentage. HOWEVER +10 either increases that rate. By how much? I dunno but it's much more of a huge difference compared to it not being upgraded.
Where'd you get that value? There's still no way to see your in-game drop rate modifier as far as I'm aware.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Why are all these cool suits of steel plate worse than my turd stained rags and penis helmet. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm told there's lots of pharros contraptions in a couple of areas I haven't reached yet. Is it feasible to get enough lockstones to open them all, juuuuust to make sure?

There's something about the pharros' lockstone mechanic that bugs me, but I'm not sure what it is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Goddamnit, I took the wrong turn when I wanted to visit Gavlan in Doors of Pharros before moving on to NG+ and because it's offline I was immediately "invaded" by an NPC in the ratbro area.

I got my face smashed in by my own ascetic-boosted minions whom I watched crush so many invaders. :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Time_pants posted:

Is the Crypt Blacksword any good as a PvE weapon? I'm considering using it, but I've never tried using an Ultra Greatsword in any of the Souls games. I've always used either Dexterity weapons or spells. Anything I should be aware of when making the switch?

I realize you posted this quite a ways back, but I used the Crypt Blacksword exclusively for the last 1/4th of the game.

In terms of moveset it's great: one handed it swings like a great axe instead of an UGS, which means it swings faster and more precisely. Two handing it makes it feel more like an UGS, with a huge downward slash and a frontal arc slash. The only flaw in the moveset compared to other UGS's is that it doesn't really have a 360 degree spin, only a wide arc slash that covers your front and sides.

For damage, the problem is that you basically need to have a build specifically dedicated to it. You need 14 Int/Fai AND 40 strength (though you could two hand it with less, you'll lose out on the great onehanded moveset though). It also only has D Str scaling, but A Dark scaling, which means the dark damage scales really well with faith/intelligence. My build was rocking 40 strength, 22 faith, and 18 intelligence, and the sword was consistently outperforming other UGS's in damage. I've found that very few things are resistant to dark, too.

So yeah, it's a great PvE weapon but only if you have the bizarre build it demands. Also blacksmith upgrades are huge for it so you'll want to pour petrified dragon bones on it until it's +5, it gives quite the boost.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And the prisoner tatters mask also increases drop rate, though i don't know how much for that, either.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the Licia of Lindelt is the dumbest and worst designed fight in the entire game, and it's not even difficult.

Who thought it was a good idea to give a healing spell to an enemy that spams it as soon as she gets below 50% health. She also turns towards you after each backstab, so you can't chain-backstab her out of it.

Basically, you're screwed if you can't either stunlock her from 50%, or oneshot her.
You can probably kill her if you manage to land a backstab that does more damage than her heal every time, but unfortunately for me, that means I have to upgrade another weapon.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Ciaphas posted:

I'm told there's lots of pharros contraptions in a couple of areas I haven't reached yet. Is it feasible to get enough lockstones to open them all, juuuuust to make sure?

There's something about the pharros' lockstone mechanic that bugs me, but I'm not sure what it is.

You get one every time you win as a Ratbro, and every time you beat a ratbro. There are an infinite number this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cardiovorax posted:

Where'd you get that value? There's still no way to see your in-game drop rate modifier as far as I'm aware.

I think it was a wiki or something but I forgot where it was I"m sorry.

edit: Yeah Licia is a pain in the rear end considering she can infinitely heal herself. It's bullshit that the magic still goes through if you don't stop her raising the chime cast animation fast enough.