Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So I finished off my tin of Bela brand sardines in tomato sauce tonight and recommend them highly. Great on Tricuits with some sriracha.

Started a tin of Bumblebee in mustard sauce and they are actually OK.

I brought up the topic of sardines at my neighborhood bar a few weeks ago with a 70 year old guy and he just yelled "King Oscar!". Tonight he came in and gave me a tin of sardines as a gift. The brand name is Orleans. On the lid it says "Great Tasting". Well I'm sold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Juice Box Hero posted:

They rank 17 out of 30 on this mass sardine review
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

But I've never had 'em. Sorry!

Holy poo poo there's a mass sardine review? and here i was thinking this thread was special for its amazing sardine talk (just ate a sardine egg pizza and dear lord does my breath smell)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Juice Box Hero posted:

im gonna check out those recipes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

actually im going to the store right now anyways so I guess i'll pick up a can too.
so sign me up for sardine crew

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ohsosad posted:

Holy poo poo there's a mass sardine review? and here i was thinking this thread was special for its amazing sardine talk (just ate a sardine egg pizza and dear lord does my breath smell)

If you like that, you'll love this
http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/p/sardine-list.html

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

The larger the fish the less tasty, at least in the flat tin style is my experience. Thanks for the thorough review and warning.

From one sardine eater to another,

-Canned Meat Guy

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

the best review on there so far for BEACH CLIFF: FISH STEAKS IN SOYBEAN OIL

quote:

OVER ALL:
A classic sardine aroma upon opening, tightly packed fish chunks. Not spiny, some of the steaks do have roe in them, it is detectable. No fishy taste or after taste. There are chunks, with decent flavor, then you get one, that taste as if a turtle poo poo on it. A real musky taste. Not sure if I would eat again. No sardines. Every time I look at this pic, the nasty flavor appears in my mouth. NO Sardines...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

DiggityDoink posted:

the best review on there so far for BEACH CLIFF: FISH STEAKS IN SOYBEAN OIL

The last one on the Polar page is pretty funny, too:
http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/2011/05/polar-9.html

Which is weird, 'cause Polar makes some good herring products. You'd think their sardines would live up to the brand.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

It came up enough in this thread that I had to try it. Pollo alla puttanesca. First time having anchovies since a very bad pizza experience 15 years ago.

Very good. I'm going to get some home-grown tomatoes from the farmer's market next time I make it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
sorry to hear about your bad 'za experience but you should try anchovies on one again if you liked them this time. they're my favorite thing to get on a pizza and it usually means no one is gonna steal the cold leftovers

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Juice Box Hero posted:

The last one on the Polar page is pretty funny, too:
http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/2011/05/polar-9.html

Which is weird, 'cause Polar makes some good herring products. You'd think their sardines would live up to the brand.

Polar kippers are so loving delicious. They're also really salty, so I try not to eat them too often, which is difficult because they are basically the tasty-fish equivalent of bacon, you can substitute Polar smoked kippers in any recipe calling for bacon (and then thank me later.) They're only like a dollar a can, too.

naem
May 29, 2011

Eating an anchovy kalamata olive pizza right now

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bonestructure posted:

Polar kippers are so loving delicious. They're also really salty, so I try not to eat them too often, which is difficult because they are basically the tasty-fish equivalent of bacon, you can substitute Polar smoked kippers in any recipe calling for bacon (and then thank me later.) They're only like a dollar a can, too.

Yeah the smoked fillets are good as gently caress and probably the best-presented canned food I've ever seen. You open it and it's actually appetizing.

I've done the kippers-as-bacon for breakfast a couple times. I don't think I like 'em warmed up, but drained & straight from the can they do make a great accompaniment to eggs and toast.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/scotch-woodcock-creamy-scrambled-eggs-anchovies-toast-recipe.html

hmm

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spatchcocking is a culinary term, I don't see why "woodcocking" can't be either. Cock more foods imo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bonestructure posted:

Polar kippers are so loving delicious. They're also really salty, so I try not to eat them too often,...
You might want to check the label. Unless you're talking about the taste and not sodium content.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I had picked up a can of the King Oscars Mediterranian last week. They are damned good.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I have a can of those waiting to be cracked open. What's the best method to eating those 'dines? Will the seasoning go well with my usual fry in garlic and add avocado method?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I had them on crackers with some hot sauce but they stood up on their own. Your way sounds good too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All hail the King, baby:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you have my fork, my leige

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well I'm going to avoid any brand that says "may contain crustaceans" now.

King Oscar didn't have sardines in water at the store I went to.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 4, 2014

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Thank you, thread. Because of you I tried sardines on crackers with feta cheese, hot peppers and jalapeno sauce, they were divine. I'll post pics of it soon

Also now I know what you meant about the spines, I pulled em out.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
wrt fish sauce and stews, how much are we talking about adding here? For a bottle to last so long it can't be much but I need some expert advice

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Idamar is the brand that is carried most commonly around where I live, and they're significantly cheaper than on that list. Can confirm that they are quite nice.

I've mentioned this before, but I try to always have fresh spinach on hand so I can make that tomato and sardine soup when I stumble home drunk. Or for Sunday morning breakfast when I wake up early.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Halah posted:

wrt fish sauce and stews, how much are we talking about adding here? For a bottle to last so long it can't be much but I need some expert advice

It depends. Start with a squirt, taste it, repeat. But if I'm making a brothy soup, like a liter and a half of fluid, I would say a bit less than a tablespoonish amount. Keep in mind that this is doing what salt does (enhancing flavor) so add it before you add salt.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just opened up my first can of King Oscar, easily the best canned sardines I've had yet. They're the smallest as well, my guess is the smaller ones would be healthier.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 4, 2014

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
are these fish snacks readily available in the us of a? will my cat flip the gently caress out forever if i were to acquire and consume fish snacks?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

are these fish snacks readily available in the us of a? will my cat flip the gently caress out forever if i were to acquire and consume fish snacks?

im in the US and all my local grocery stores have them and ya, your cat will most likely go crazy trying to get at your fishy treats

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chump Farts posted:

Your cat will poo poo violently at the sound of each can opened.

TheHordor
Jul 3, 2011
My dad ate sardines all the time when I was a kid, but I never tried them because of the smell. This thread convinced me to get some sardines and try them out!

Picked up two tins of King Oscar's in olive oil, two tins of King Oscar's kipper snacks, and a package of Wasa light rye.

Spread some dijon on the rye cracker, sardine on top with a little bit of black pepper. Tasty as poo poo!

I am loving eating the kipper snacks plain on the cracker, or with a little bit of whole grain mustard and a few drops of cholula.

Thanks sardine thread, I think I'm a canned seafood lifer now.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm probably gonna hit up my asian grocer some time in the next few weeks. Last time I went, I saw a bottle of fish sauce that had tiny whole fish in it. I was a pussy so I just got the squid bottle.

I'm almost out, so does anyone recognize the fish brand and is it weird?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm dumb what is the difference between the crosspacks and the the doublelayer?

I had the King Oscar double layer the other day and they were fantastic. I wonder how crown prince compares.

Also is there a healthy alternative for crackers/chips to go with these? I wish there were high fiber crackers I could use or something. I was thinking about making kale chips but they're so thin I don't think it would work very well.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm dumb what is the difference between the crosspacks and the the doublelayer?

I had the King Oscar double layer the other day and they were fantastic. I wonder how crown prince compares.

Also is there a healthy alternative for crackers/chips to go with these? I wish there were high fiber crackers I could use or something. I was thinking about making kale chips but they're so thin I don't think it would work very well.

Wasa crackers are probably the healthiest cracker out there. Barring that, just dump em in a bowl with hot sauce - crackers ain't required.

I stopped by a different asian grocer today. They had an insane amount of canned sardines and other fishery. I'm too overstimulated right now and I still have to post about another place first, so I'll save all that for another day.

I perused their fish sauces and this one caught my eye:

mainly because it was pricier than the other ones and the ingredients were "Round scad extract and salt".

I passed on it cause I had no clue what a round scad was, but I might pick it up next time.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
i cooked up some 'dines, all due to this thread
and while i ate them i wished i were dead
the texture, the taste, the smell made me gag
these nasty fish taste like vag of a hag

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
On the plus side, you probably have at least one chest hair now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

Wasa crackers are probably the healthiest cracker out there. Barring that, just dump em in a bowl with hot sauce - crackers ain't required.

Yeah, funny you said Wasa (I just got home) because that was the only thing I could find at Target that I even considered remotely healthy, not to mention rather affordable. I've seen some flax-seed crackers online that look way healthier but most of the reviews say they're not really good and they're also pretty expensive.

Anyway, I really like sardines with something crunchy as a snack. I figured I could try some bell peppers next time since i could slice those up so they can hold the sardines.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Wasa works really well with sardines or anything wet. On their own they taste like cardboard, but they make the perfect food vehicle. And you will poop giant healthy horse-poops after eating them. :haw:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You might want to check the label. Unless you're talking about the taste and not sodium content.

I always assumed Polar kippers had way more salt than that, because they taste salty in that bacon-y divine way. Gonna eat them a lot more now!

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 6, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Oldstench posted:

i cooked up some 'dines, all due to this thread
and while i ate them i wished i were dead
the texture, the taste, the smell made me gag
these nasty fish taste like vag of a hag

That's a man sized meal o' 'dines right there...holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Had these last night. Given to me by a 70 year old dude at the bar, who I had talked to sardines about. He gets them at the dollar store for $1 a can.

I was telling him about the different recipes and such and he said, "Awww, the hell with all that. Saltines!". So I had these on saltines with sriracha. I ate almost the whole can standing in front of the kitchen sink while dinner was cooking. Very mild, small and more complete fish compared to others I've tried.

Edit: mine were "Product of Poland". The pictured can is "Product of Canada". I don't know if region matters

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread