Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

M42 posted:

Well, it'd be necc0's first bike, and the general consensus is that your first bike should be rideable from the get go. Nothing's worse than spending months getting a bike into rideable shape instead of actually learning how to ride.

I mean it could be a free bike or a couple of hundred bucks, take it to a shop pay to get it running. There are people who make a living fixing bikes. (I'm just trying to unload this POS from my garage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Aaah, gotcha. If necc0 doesn't want it, I'm sure it'd go pretty fast on CL. I've seen a lot of WTB BROKEN BIKE ads lately.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Hell yeah I'm game as long as it won't kill me even when it's fixed up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there a single fun road anywhere near DC that isn't like at least an hour and a half away and two miles long :qq:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
GW parkway at non rush hour times is my go to for a quick weekday night ride within the beltway.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

M42 posted:

Is there a single fun road anywhere near DC that isn't like at least an hour and a half away and two miles long :qq:

Canal Road to Georgetown Pike and back, some pretty good routes in great falls too.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed, there are lots of little roads off Falls Road that are twisty and fun.

I always enjoy messing around in Rock Creek Park as well if I don't feel like leaving the city. You can't get going too fast as there are always a bunch of park service cops around, but they're still fun roads.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Georgetown Pike is nice, but unless they've been rolling hard on fixing it it's pretty crateriffic as of 2 or so weeks ago. I hope they fix it soon. That said, GW Parkway to Georgetown Pike and maybe out to Leesburg to hit Doner Bistro is a fun weekend jaunt. I need to find better roads than 7 for the last leg of it though.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

The_Maz posted:

Georgetown Pike is nice, but unless they've been rolling hard on fixing it it's pretty crateriffic as of 2 or so weeks ago. I hope they fix it soon. That said, GW Parkway to Georgetown Pike and maybe out to Leesburg to hit Doner Bistro is a fun weekend jaunt. I need to find better roads than 7 for the last leg of it though.

Gtown pike itself is just ok, there are better roads off of it, i'll see if I can make google map for you guys, I'm prob gonna be doing that loops this weekend if you want to ride it, saturday morning after cars and coffee.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks guys, I was having trouble trying to find stuff close by. Weather's looking good this weekend, so I might join you.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

It's been mentioned, but one of my favorite routes out of the city is Canal Rd out of Georgetown then continue on River Rd to White's ferry. From there you can either stay in MD and ride around Little Seneca Lake/Sugarloaf Mtn, or take the Ferry across where you end up outside of Leesburg. Everything west of there is wonderful riding - HNasty can probably provide better specific roads over there. But it's probably harder to find bad roads than good.

My biggest problem is that I always underestimate how much time it takes to get home and I always get in trouble when I get back late.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

It's been mentioned, but one of my favorite routes out of the city is Canal Rd out of Georgetown then continue on River Rd to White's ferry. From there you can either stay in MD and ride around Little Seneca Lake/Sugarloaf Mtn, or take the Ferry across where you end up outside of Leesburg. Everything west of there is wonderful riding - HNasty can probably provide better specific roads over there. But it's probably harder to find bad roads than good.

My biggest problem is that I always underestimate how much time it takes to get home and I always get in trouble when I get back late.

I've never been up to sugarloaf, we should hit it up sat, the reason I suggest the great falls loops is because it's literally 20 mins for the DC without traffic and sort of fun. I'd give you a map but I'm too old and lazy to figure out how the new version of google maps works.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
On a different note, my shoulder surgery went well. No cast thank god, but I'm in a sling till the end of May.

Had my first Physical Therapy session today, my range of motion is pretty much non-existent, which led to a dialogue that sounded like an embarrassing first time with a girl:

Therapist: OK are you ready?
Me: Yes
Therapist: Alright lets start slowly [starts moving my arm carefully]
Me: [After moving like 3 inches] OK STOP!
Therapist: That's it?!
Me: Yea, sorry [defeated look of shame, avoids eye contact]
Therapist: No that's OK, I know this is your first time, I'm sure its hard for you
Me: *sigh*
Therapist: Really it's fine, I'm sure you'll do better next time
Me: I hope so
Therapist: Some people like to take their medications before hand so they can go longer and harder
Me: Yea, the doctor mentioned that, but I thought I'd wouldn't need it [pause] I'll be sure to do that next time though

And of course the conversation was all the more comical as my therapist was in fact a very cute young girl.

Sadly no ETA of getting back on the bike yet, need to see how the therapy goes. Probably half the season down the drain I'm guessing :cry: not to mention that I was shooting bogey golf at the end of last season too!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Koruthaiolos posted:

A good portion of River Rd to White's Ferry is gravel, right?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

McLarenF1 posted:

On a different note, my shoulder surgery went well. No cast thank god, but I'm in a sling till the end of May.

Had my first Physical Therapy session today, my range of motion is pretty much non-existent, which led to a dialogue that sounded like an embarrassing first time with a girl:

Therapist: OK are you ready?
Me: Yes
Therapist: Alright lets start slowly [starts moving my arm carefully]
Me: [After moving like 3 inches] OK STOP!
Therapist: That's it?!
Me: Yea, sorry [defeated look of shame, avoids eye contact]
Therapist: No that's OK, I know this is your first time, I'm sure its hard for you
Me: *sigh*
Therapist: Really it's fine, I'm sure you'll do better next time
Me: I hope so
Therapist: Some people like to take their medications before hand so they can go longer and harder
Me: Yea, the doctor mentioned that, but I thought I'd wouldn't need it [pause] I'll be sure to do that next time though

And of course the conversation was all the more comical as my therapist was in fact a very cute young girl.

Sadly no ETA of getting back on the bike yet, need to see how the therapy goes. Probably half the season down the drain I'm guessing :cry: not to mention that I was shooting bogey golf at the end of last season too!

You don't need to raise your arm to ride a bike, Vicodin will just make you more relaxed on the bike and less likely to panic so you won't crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Vicodin? Just have a beer or 3. Make sure to top off midride so you don't lose your mellow.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lowcrabdiet posted:

A good portion of River Rd to White's Ferry is gravel, right?

Yeah, but there are a couple other rods to go around the gravel parts that are nice backroads too.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So guys, any plans this weekend?

Also mclarenf1, that really sucks dude. Put all you've got into the PT, and you'll get better much earlier. Worst thing you can do with an injury is slacking on the the therapy.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

M42 posted:

So guys, any plans this weekend?

Also mclarenf1, that really sucks dude. Put all you've got into the PT, and you'll get better much earlier. Worst thing you can do with an injury is slacking on the the therapy.

I was gonna ride sat morning, but not sure about weather, will see how sunday pans out.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I've got a sister's baby shower Saturday, but I should be free whenever on Sunday.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

So... anybody up for a ride tomorrow? The weather looks cooler than today but totally clear.

I'm free for whenever during the day, I was thinking maybe meet at the M St Exxon station around 9 or 10?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have some maintenance I've been putting off to do tomorrow morning, but count me in if I get it done early enough.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

So... anybody up for a ride tomorrow? The weather looks cooler than today but totally clear.

I'm free for whenever during the day, I was thinking maybe meet at the M St Exxon station around 9 or 10?

I'm riding tomorrow, will try to swing by the Exxon at 10, see you there, if you make it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to be able to make it today

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

hot sauce posted:

I'm not going to be able to make it today

kk, I'll swing by around 10:15 if any stragglers want to come along.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I don't know if anybody'd be interested, but there's a flat track race in Hagerstown on July 5th. I've never been to a flat track race before, but going to the dirt track car races was always a blast when I was a kid and I'd love to see bikes doing it. I know it's a holiday weekend so some people's schedules probably won't allow it, but I'm going to make my best attempt to head on up and try to take my dad too.

And HNasty, here's the route I've bee taking to Sugrloaf that you asked about today: http://goo.gl/maps/TrQ76 The section of River Road that's gravel is basically from the intersection with Edward's Ferry Rd to White's Ferry.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do my best to gtfo of dc during that weekend, so I'll probably be down to check out the flat track race. Group ride up there?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Koruthaiolos, thanks for the heads up about that route up to White's Ferry. My sunday became suddenly free and I was able to check it out with a friend. We got to the gravel and just rode back to Partnership and then up through Poolesville. We definitely plan to check out the stuff up around Sugarloaf next time.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

M42 was it you asking for fun roads near DC, this is he loop Karthoulious and I ran on Sunday, it's only about 20 mins out of the city. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8cHS9U5-cI

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That the one in great falls? Looks fun! For a second I thought it was old yates ford/henderson (also pretty fun but road condition was meh in oct). Deer all up in your poo poo over there, too.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

M42 posted:

That the one in great falls? Looks fun! For a second I thought it was old yates ford/henderson (also pretty fun but road condition was meh in oct). Deer all up in your poo poo over there, too.

The clifton roads are in way better shape these days. Still a couple gravel spills on Clifton Rd, and a pothole or two, but a ton better than they were a month ago.

Deer are still goddamn hazards.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hey guys, I'd avoid beach mill rd for a few weeks unless you ride a sumo. They've ground down the road surface about halfway through on the direction hnasty's riding in his video. Might be resurfacing all of it for all I know. Gravel everywhere in the middle of the road, uneven surface, patches, slow-rear end construction trucks, etc.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

M42 posted:

Hey guys, I'd avoid beach mill rd for a few weeks unless you ride a sumo. They've ground down the road surface about halfway through on the direction hnasty's riding in his video. Might be resurfacing all of it for all I know. Gravel everywhere in the middle of the road, uneven surface, patches, slow-rear end construction trucks, etc.

Yeah I saw that today too, which is kinda good news should be nice and shiny and new by the time summer arrives :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Georgetown pike/old dominion dr were really chill non-twisty rides though. Plants and trees were all blooming so it smelled extra nice :kiddo:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looks like I'll be sitting out on the CornerSpin weekend coming up. Some lingering health issues as usual taking much longer than expected to resolve. CornerSpin is being cool about it and letting me reschedule when things shape up.

Tomorrow I'll cancel my hotel reservation (Comfort Suites, King, 3 nights @ 79) but if anyone needs it I can see if they would let me change who the reservation is under. Just let me know.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to hear that man, hope you heal up soon. Down to 5 uninjured goons.

How is everyone getting down there and when are you heading out? I talked with Hnasty last night and he's driving down so I'm hitching a ride with him. I believe there is room for 2 more comfortably. We are leaving sometime mid day on that Friday. I was going to ride down, but don't want to end up stranded if I get myself hurt in the class.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I was planning to ride down but wouldn't want to do it alone. If nobody else is riding can I call dibs on one of the remaining seats?

Matthew Bueller
Aug 23, 2013

Anal sunshine when she's gone. It's not warm when she's away. Anal sunshine when she's gone. And she's always gone too long. Anytime she goes away.
Been away from the forum for a bit. Got a new job 30 miles from my house so I had to buy a commuter bike, because the Land Cruiser tops out at 12MPG while going down hill on the highway.

Picked up a 2014 VSTROM Adventure 650

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Do we have a final headcount/list of who's going down to corner spin? We probably want to make sure we all have each others' phone numbers and email addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the final head count is 5 going down. I'll send out an email tomorrow, I believe I have everyone's email.

As for the car situation, I'm sure it would be cool if you rode with. I guess HNasty hasn't checked the forums today but he said he has room for more.

• Locked thread