Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

the posted:

I added all of the names and track lengths to a Google Spreadsheet, so it looks like this:

Column A:
Rolling Stones - Gimmie Shelter

Column B:
4:45

Is there any way I can add column B to show the total elapsed time?

edit: I tried just doing a sum, but it gives me a weird answer. "Summing" a column of 2:30 and 2:30 shows a sum of 0.2083 (instead of 5 minutes)

You can highlight your column with times in it, select Format->Number->Duration. This might case your 2:30 value to be reprinted as 2:30:00; an easy fix is to set the C column to contain =B1/60, and then drag this all the way down. Then, copy C, and Paste Special->Paste Values Only from C into B.

Once google is aware that your values are durations instead of times, the addition should work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I figured out what was going on. It was interpreting 2:30 as HH:MM, so it was giving me an answer of .208333 which is 5 hours out of a 24 hour day, which is correct. So the sum command does work, I just have the times formatted incorrectly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

the posted:

I added all of the names and track lengths to a Google Spreadsheet, so it looks like this:

Column A:
Rolling Stones - Gimmie Shelter

Column B:
4:45

Is there any way I can add column B to show the total elapsed time?

edit: I tried just doing a sum, but it gives me a weird answer. "Summing" a column of 2:30 and 2:30 shows a sum of 0.2083 (instead of 5 minutes)

When I put 2:30 into a cell, the spreadsheet interprets that to mean 2 hours 30 seconds.

When I add two cells containing 2:30 together, I get 5:00

Anyway, what's happening with you is that the cell is displaying the numerical value of 5 hours (5 hours = 24 hours * 0.2083).

If you click Format>Number>Time you'll get the cell to display 5:00 (just be aware that the spreadsheet interprets this as 5 hours 0 minutes instead of 5 minutes 0 seconds).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OctoberBlues posted:

Around 2006/2007 I put up some pictures on a site that was like flickr and I would love to find them again. I am pretty sure I know what my username and password would have been, but I can't remember the site. I thought maybe it was photobucket, but it doesn't look like it. Any idea what the most popular flickr type sites were 7-8 years ago?

picasa?

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Li-King Wang posted:

Anyone know who this guy is? He's been hanging around my work for a few days now and nobody knows who he is or where he came from.

https://www.4gp.tw/b034/1398864414342.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, it's the best I could do with my phone.

That's some Star Wars guy that came with a speeder bike. My stepdaughter has one. It may be Luke or it may just be a generic guy, i'm not sure.

Nope, definitely not. Sorry.

appleskates fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 2, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is the newest fad in scamming and/or selling stolen poo poo driving up and trying to sell stuff to random people on the street with the story of "I was going to deliver <expensive thing> but <thing> happened and <reason I can't be rid of it> so do you want to buy it?" In the past year I've been annoyed by these people several times.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Leal posted:

Is the newest fad in scamming and/or selling stolen poo poo driving up and trying to sell stuff to random people on the street with the story of "I was going to deliver <expensive thing> but <thing> happened and <reason I can't be rid of it> so do you want to buy it?" In the past year I've been annoyed by these people several times.

No, that's a very old trick, though usually it's just lovely stuff tricked out to make it look like it was stolen, so people think they're getting a deal.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
With the Amazon cloud player, can I download the music to a PC and then transfer it over to a linux machine? I need to get it on the linux machine.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

What's the harm in setting a refrigerator horizontal for a move? There's no exposed coils and it's just a smallish apartment size fridge. I haven't moved one in quite some time but seem to recall everyone would freak out if you tipped it over and laid it flat, like all the cool stuff would leak out or some poo poo

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ruby got Railed posted:

What's the harm in setting a refrigerator horizontal for a move? There's no exposed coils and it's just a smallish apartment size fridge. I haven't moved one in quite some time but seem to recall everyone would freak out if you tipped it over and laid it flat, like all the cool stuff would leak out or some poo poo
It messes up the coolant/oil balance (oil leaks into the coolant tubes) and could damage the condenser or compressor if it's run without coolant/oil in the right places. It's not recommended, but it should be OK as long as you leave it upright for as long as it was on its side before plugging it in again. But don't lay it on it's back ever, as the fridge will think it has deceased and refuse to work again as it awaits the rapture.

If possible transport it at an angle, raising the top side as much as you can.

http://www.geappliances.com/search/fast/infobase/10000318.htm

randyest fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 3, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I somehow stumbled upon these extra option screens for YouTube for HTML5 and this interface option called Feather, and I'm not sure how I found them or how you're meant to get to them normally. I found the URLs for them just now by Googling them. Are there any others like that and is there a place you can access them from normally? I can't see them anywhere in the YouTube settings.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

the posted:

With the Amazon cloud player, can I download the music to a PC and then transfer it over to a linux machine? I need to get it on the linux machine.

Yes. The file itself is just an .mp3, so once you have the physical file, you can transfer it to whatever computer you need to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is there a way to shut down Windows 8 without installing updates? I tried Googling and all I find are methods for Windows 7 that don't work in 8. Sometimes I just want to restart my computer without waiting five minutes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there a name -- or one of those fancy German words -- for the phenomenon where you are given free, unfettered creative ability and you draw a blank as to what to do? The best I can find is "Blank Page Syndrome" but for my purposes, something where the first Google result is urban dictionary isn't ideal.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nighthand posted:

Is there a name -- or one of those fancy German words -- for the phenomenon where you are given free, unfettered creative ability and you draw a blank as to what to do? The best I can find is "Blank Page Syndrome" but for my purposes, something where the first Google result is urban dictionary isn't ideal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice is close.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That'll work unless I stumble on something better, thanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

There's also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tiggum posted:

Is there a way to shut down Windows 8 without installing updates? I tried Googling and all I find are methods for Windows 7 that don't work in 8. Sometimes I just want to restart my computer without waiting five minutes.

5 minute restart? Get a new computer man.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

the posted:

5 minute restart? Get a new computer man.

Hyperbole. I just mean that I don't want to waste time installing updates when I just want my computer to restart.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My department is hiring two people for a three-person, entry level team. The two positions are open because one person left due to bullying and the other was fired for bullying the person who left. The existing person is apparently going to be part of the 2nd round interviews. This seems like a very big red flag to me, as I feel like it immediately creates a dynamic in which the new hires will immediately look to the existing person as a superior based on the fact that they were involved in the interviews. Am I wrong?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
No, but I would say that they would look to the person for leadership naturally because that person will know how to do the job and all the ins and outs. Seniority and experience usually means leader ship roles.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

the posted:

No, but I would say that they would look to the person for leadership naturally because that person will know how to do the job and all the ins and outs. Seniority and experience usually means leader ship roles.

Oh absolutely, the existing person will be a great resource for how to perform daily functions. I just feel like it's a conflict of interest wherein the existing person will be looking for people they get along with and/or can manipulate, rather than the most qualified person for the job. Obviously team chemistry is important but I feel like that should be a manager decision.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My department is hiring two people for a three-person, entry level team. The two positions are open because one person left due to bullying and the other was fired for bullying the person who left. The existing person is apparently going to be part of the 2nd round interviews. This seems like a very big red flag to me, as I feel like it immediately creates a dynamic in which the new hires will immediately look to the existing person as a superior based on the fact that they were involved in the interviews. Am I wrong?

At my work, anyone on the team might help out on the interviewing process. Hell, I've interviewed applicants for the position of my own boss. It's never been a problem.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do people who talk with a lisp think with a lisp? Like if they're thinking about a speech or something they're going to give, as they're planning it out do they hear a lisp in their head? Would the answer vary depending on the cause of the lisp or is it one of those things where it's like hearing a recording of yourself and you say "I don't sound like that!"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Crankit posted:

Do people who talk with a lisp think with a lisp? Like if they're thinking about a speech or something they're going to give, as they're planning it out do they hear a lisp in their head? Would the answer vary depending on the cause of the lisp or is it one of those things where it's like hearing a recording of yourself and you say "I don't sound like that!"

I'm guessing yes unless their lisp is due to not being able to hear the difference between the two sounds.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Interviewing potential coworkers is incredibly common in software - I've "hired" two peers, and two people who were hired for a more senior position. I have a much better idea of what skills are necessary for the position than, say, HR would, because I've been doing it for a few years.

And, I mean, so what if they treat him as a superior? They probably will, especially at first. As long as you don't think that the existing person is utterly unqualified to act as an informal leader, I don't see a problem.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Crankit posted:

Former severe lisper, currently intermittent / mild lisp.
No, but I'm hyper aware of problematic words that will come up in the flow of my speech. gently caress "sixty-six". Sk- words are tough. -ks is tough too, so "asks" sucks (as does "sucks")

Curiously, I didn't even know I had a lisp until I was 9 or so, didn't even hear it, so certainly didn't think in a lisp.

Having a lisp does give you a (rather lame) superpower - you can always tell a former lisper who fixed it via speech therapy. The production of the s sound is different. Lisping is often caused by structural issues with the jaw, tongue, or soft palate and so the standard way of making the sound simply doesn't work, and the way you learn to make the sound is subtly different. I doubt non-lispers would be able to tell but it's instantly obvious to me. I'd wager quite a bit that, for example, Peter Dinklage and Brian Williams of NBC News were lispers. Christian Bale too, but his is more obvious and not entirely fixed.

E: if I do lisp in a sentence now, I definitely hear it, but I "know" it even more than I hear it, if that makes sense. It feels different. But I don't and never have thought with a lisp.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 3, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GobiasIndustries posted:

They do this where I work and it isn't an issue. It's good for the potential employees to be able to ask questions to a current person in that spot.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Crankit posted:

I had a lisp for several years due to some dental gear and I never heard it in my head. I got used to how the lisp "felt" when I spoke, but I was still aware is was abnormal when I listened to myself.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's the best tool for sharing a slideshow? My parents want to show us photos from their vacation and I thought it would be easy to find a photo live streaming tool so they could click through photos while talking about them on a phone call.

Is there anything that will do this? I assume they could just skype and use a tool to show their desktop instead of webcam but I was hoping for fairly high quality as well, so something they upload to and then control from their end would be best.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

What's the best tool for sharing a slideshow? My parents want to show us photos from their vacation and I thought it would be easy to find a photo live streaming tool so they could click through photos while talking about them on a phone call.

Is there anything that will do this? I assume they could just skype and use a tool to show their desktop instead of webcam but I was hoping for fairly high quality as well, so something they upload to and then control from their end would be best.
The new slingshot thing will probably do it. http://www.airsquirrels.com/slingshot/

It requires a subscription but is free for 30 days.

Webex might also work but it would be even more expensive.

Maybe a shared photostream?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
How is contemplative practice (ie meditation, yoga, prayer) different to ordinary self-reflection or study?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a category of eating disorder* in which your body has trouble identifying when hunger has been sated but your habits are otherwise normal?

* that is, assuming it can even be considered an eating disorder if it doesn't involve the impulsive or compulsive consumption/avoidance of food.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Can someone tell me how people can find old threads in the archive? Is it simply a matter of knowing vaguely when the thread was posted and looking around, or is there some obvious search functionality I'm unaware of?

I'd love to know how this is accomplished. I generally rely on others to pull old threads and link them in the current forums, and if there's a big thread from the past I'm interested in, I'll bookmark it so I can read it at leisure.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh absolutely, the existing person will be a great resource for how to perform daily functions. I just feel like it's a conflict of interest wherein the existing person will be looking for people they get along with and/or can manipulate, rather than the most qualified person for the job. Obviously team chemistry is important but I feel like that should be a manager decision.

Why? Is the manager some kind of hyper intuitive matchmaker? You'd think a team that just lost two people due to "bullying" would appreciate personality fit more.

Pro tip: who you "get along with" can be very important to the team's productivity: don't write it off as an "irrelevant" qualification. And as long as the remaining person doesn't want to be stuck doing all the work, they won't pick people who aren't capable of doing the work.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Does Scrabble exist in French? If so, are accented letters present or are accent grave / aigu just implied where necessary?
Ditto German, is there a tile for the double-s thing that looks like an uppercase B?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

regulargonzalez posted:

Does Scrabble exist in French? If so, are accented letters present or are accent grave / aigu just implied where necessary?
Ditto German, is there a tile for the double-s thing that looks like an uppercase B?

German Scrabble

French Scrabble

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Interesting, so accents are ignored in French and a mixed solution in German.
Obviously this type of game wouldn't work for languages like Chinese or Korean, but I wonder if they have their own language-based board games that would be unworkable in alphabet-based languages.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

Is there a category of eating disorder* in which your body has trouble identifying when hunger has been sated but your habits are otherwise normal?

* that is, assuming it can even be considered an eating disorder if it doesn't involve the impulsive or compulsive consumption/avoidance of food.

That seems more like a digestive issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I worked with a mentally disabled adult for a few months. He had been in a car accident that damaged the satiety part of his brain so he was always hungry. It was actually really really sad.

I think it was like some kind of aphasia, think motor or ataxic aphasia but for hunger.