Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, even if I have 10,000 horse archers as the Byzantine Emperor, the cataphract building in Constantinople will effect all of them?

No. Your cultural retinues will always have the highest bonus the building would give you. But to get back to the English longbows, there are two sources of archers in an English castle. One is the militia training ground, the other is the cultural building, giving you more archers and +XY% attack for archers. The bonus is applied to all archers from this castle, no matter if they come from the cultural building or the militia training ground. The bonus doesn't apply to any other archers you get, they have their own bonus or not from buildings in the holdings they were raised in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

Everyone else has covered how this works, but sometimes you can invite someone with a claim to your court, marry them matrilineally to your heir(or normally, if it's a woman you're inviting) then press the claim. This way the next generation your heir's heir should get your land plus whatever claim you pressed.

If they are already married, it should only cost 50 gold to kill their spouse if they are in your court.

Thanks for the responses all. Couple follow up questions on this claim pressing issue:

- Is there a way to kill someone other than launching a plot against them? 50 gold to kill a spouse doesn't seem bad, but plots seem to take forever.

- How do I actually go about pressing someone's claim if they are a random member of my court? Will it just show up as a casus belli on whoever I want to attack or is there some other option somewhere?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How is the money you get from the money/prestige choice when getting married calculated? Because I just had the option of choosing between 50 prestige or 6500 gold as a newly elected doge of Amalfi.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MrBling posted:

How is the money you get from the money/prestige choice when getting married calculated? Because I just had the option of choosing between 50 prestige or 6500 gold as a newly elected doge of Amalfi.

Prestige I believe is based on rank or prestige you already have and the gold is based on your realm income so I'm guessing your income is massive seeing as you're playing Amalfi.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dutchfool posted:

Yeah, that's it. Being a niece of a god emperor doesn't give you an alliance in CK2, and they might refuse the marriage with that in mind.

I get that from a gameplay perspective, I think a duke in real life would have to have some pretty big stones to turn me down though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, I've become empress of Persia. How many kingdoms can I hold as an empress/emperor without pissing my vassals off? Two, like duchies as a king?

Also, is there a way to choose to plot specific title revocations or are you stuck with whatever the list gives you? My demense increased so I want the last province in the second duchy I control, but the guy there isn't a traitor and I don't feel like murdering him and his three kids for one piece of land.

You could try pissing him off, eventually he'll plot against you and you'll have free cause to arrest him and revoke one of his titles. Make him the court jester, repeatedly assign him to council and then fire him again, whatever it takes to make him hate you. Afterwards he'll probably hate you for the rest of his life, but his kids won't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, even if I have 10,000 horse archers as the Byzantine Emperor, the cataphract building in Constantinople will effect all of them?

No. If you have a cataphract building in Constantinople and nowhere else, then the only levies that will get that bonus are horse archer troops raised from Constantinople's holdings. The rest of your levies won't get that bonus unless there's one of those buildings in the specific province they were raised from. Same goes for bonuses from military tech levels - each province's levies will get bonuses based on the tech levels in the specific province they were raised from.

Retinues, however, are a different story - rather than being tied to specific provinces or buildings, cultural retinues get the same bonus that your top-level cultural building would give, regardless of whether or not you have that building.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I think its better to males dukes for the tech spread and ease of organizing troops. You rack up more prestige holding titles also. I always make king titles and hold em because it adds up quick. My current game I have maurentia as a vassal king because screw waiting for all the troops in Africa to join up. Everywhere else is dukes though. I'm playing as a Muslim so I hand the ducal titles out after an invasion so I can get people to convert to Sunni. All of Spain and most of francia is Sunni thanks to that. Now I'm working on italy. I still have like 60 vassals but even if they rebel (which they have) I can put them down quickly enough with my retinue.

Edit. Also if you give a king vassal land outside his de jure area it will incorporate into him kingdom making it easier to hold on to important locations. Paris is de jure part of the kingdom of maurentia thanks to this.

I also have Genoa and Rome as merchant republics. Is there any downside to having vassal republics? I kinda did it just because I wanted to. I would have moved my capital but my current capital is fully maxed in baronies (which I own) and building upgrades. I love that Muslims can hold temples with no penalty.

Zig-Zag fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 3, 2014

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Am I the only one who has lost the ability to arrange marriages and betrothals recently? I was trying to betroth my heir to the Princess of Tartaria but the box of eligible brides is empty and the 'Arrange Marriage' button on his portrait gives me the same result. I tried to reload and when that didn't work I tried to arragne it from the other end, which didn't work either.

Has anyone else encountered this? Should I just use the console?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Iceblocks posted:

Am I the only one who has lost the ability to arrange marriages and betrothals recently? I was trying to betroth my heir to the Princess of Tartaria but the box of eligible brides is empty and the 'Arrange Marriage' button on his portrait gives me the same result. I tried to reload and when that didn't work I tried to arragne it from the other end, which didn't work either.

Did you mouse over the Send button and see what it says? Maybe they're outside of your diplo range? Dunno.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Allyn posted:

Did you mouse over the Send button and see what it says? Maybe they're outside of your diplo range? Dunno.
I'm bordering tartaria, so I'm not out of range, but it doesn't work even when I try to marry my own courtiers to each other, the box of possible spouses just comes up empty.

I'm norse, so I can ger heir through concubines, but it is really staring to bug me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Apparantly my current king still sits at the kid's table during Diwali

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I don't feel like rushing Military Organization tech to build beefy retinues is "cheating" or at all cheesy. If you're expanding at a decent pace you'll be fighting all sorts of cultural and religious revolts more than likely, and having a strong standing army to help deal with them is very important. In fact I'd probably have a ton more game overs if I had to deal with rebels entirely with my regular levies.

Revolts are sized relative to your max levies so they're supposed to be challenging but not impossibly-sized. What I'd really like is for there to be some "grace period" modifier that greatly reduces the risk of a specific revolt for a period after you put one down. It's less the size of the revolts but more how badly the RNG can gently caress you over by hitting you with multiple revolts and reinforcements in a short window.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Revolts are sized relative to your max levies so they're supposed to be challenging but not impossibly-sized. What I'd really like is for there to be some "grace period" modifier that greatly reduces the risk of a specific revolt for a period after you put one down. It's less the size of the revolts but more how badly the RNG can gently caress you over by hitting you with multiple revolts and reinforcements in a short window.

There actually is a decreased chance of revolts after you put one down, it's just not enough to make a huge difference if you're having a lot of them.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of silly events, is there a bug when a wife is also a lover they might surprise themselves having sex with their husband and demand him to break up the affair immediately?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Iceblocks posted:

I had that problem when I inherited the Norse holy order, the Jomsvikings. Fixed it by giving it away to a new vassal. Have you recently acquired any new unique titles?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm the Petty King of Tara and a member of my court has a claim on the neighboring Petty Kingdom of Munster. If I make this dude a vassal and then press his claim, will he become independent if I succeed in pressing his claim? He will, right?

Assuming the courtier would become independent after his claim is pressed, I'm thinking what I will do is marry him matrilineally to my daughter, then press his claim. Then once they spit out an heir of my dynasty, I can try to finagle my way into inheriting Munster at some point (killing heirs, etc.). Would that be a solid play, or am I missing something?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I'm the Petty King of Tara and a member of my court has a claim on the neighboring Petty Kingdom of Munster. If I make this dude a vassal and then press his claim, will he become independent if I succeed in pressing his claim? He will, right?

Assuming the courtier would become independent after his claim is pressed, I'm thinking what I will do is marry him matrilineally to my daughter, then press his claim. Then once they spit out an heir of my dynasty, I can try to finagle my way into inheriting Munster at some point (killing heirs, etc.). Would that be a solid play, or am I missing something?

That sounds like a great play! You're correct, you could press his claim and end with him your vassal if you were a King, but since you're pressing his claim on a title equal to yours, he'll become independent as the Petty King of Munster. You can't have another Petty King as a vassal!

Finding claimaints, marrying them into your dynasty, then pressing their claims is generally a great way to expand

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The thing about this method is that it works best once you're a king or emperor, as you can use the land them -> push their claim -> take chunk of land trick to take a decent amount of territory in one go. If you can swing that so you get some kinsmen with claims on it that's okay I guess, but do note that as the eventual King of Ireland you'd be able to press anyone's claim and get them as a vassal -- and, in fact, dukes of the correct culture will always accept their de jure liege's offer of vassalisation in my experience.

If you can put a kinsman on the throne and then try stabbing them until you inherit that would be more effective as that'll get you closer to forming the kingdom, naturally. But I haven't played in a month or two and can't remember the rules for inheritance after dynasty changes and that line of the family then dies out -- whether inheritance stays patrilineal even when the marriage was matrilineal because of the realm's gender law, or whether it stays within the dynasty. I have a feeling it's the former, in which case it'll just go right back into the hands of the Ua Briains or whoever.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Nightblade posted:

I had that problem when I inherited the Norse holy order, the Jomsvikings. Fixed it by giving it away to a new vassal. Have you recently acquired any new unique titles?

Okay, giving the Jomsvikins away fixed it, but I got my hands on the jomsvikings a couple rulers ago and didn't have any problems until now.

Thanks for the tip btw.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zig-Zag posted:

I also have Genoa and Rome as merchant republics. Is there any downside to having vassal republics? I kinda did it just because I wanted to. I would have moved my capital but my current capital is fully maxed in baronies (which I own) and building upgrades. I love that Muslims can hold temples with no penalty.

They tend to be kind of pissy with you, but they make so much money I find it worth it to have as many as possible. I spread them around so they aren't competing with each other for trade posts, and just rake in huge stacks of cash.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Big thing to watch for is that the AI really hates matrilineal shenanigans like this, and there's a strong chance he will make an effort to divorce/assassinate his wife once he becomes landed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I noticed a small bug while playing as a patrician. You don't actually have to pay for marriages if you initiate the marriage as a betrothal.

It will say that you'll have to pay X gold and you have to actually have the gold in your treasury to suggest the betrothal, but you don't actually pay the gold. Not when the betrothal happens and not when the girl comes of age and the actual marriage happens.

Also, playing as greek cultured patrician in Amalfi is great. Cataphract retinue. :getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Hell is other people Sunnis. Moral Authority is at 18% because those dingbats have lost so many holy wars recently, the +36% from the won ones isn't enough to balance it out. :sigh:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

So I conquered some Mazdaki provinces as the Orthodox Byzantium in Azerbaijan and I want to (somehow) get some Zoroastrians on the throne, I've tried finding some to invite but they all dismiss me due to wrong religion penalties, and they don't want to marry infidels. How do I Zoroastrian? Ideally I'd give it to the two province Zoroastrian rebeller on the other side of the Caspian but I cannot figure out how to.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

That sounds like a great play! You're correct, you could press his claim and end with him your vassal if you were a King, but since you're pressing his claim on a title equal to yours, he'll become independent as the Petty King of Munster. You can't have another Petty King as a vassal!

Finding claimaints, marrying them into your dynasty, then pressing their claims is generally a great way to expand

I ended up not needing to do this since my Chancellor managed to forge a claim on part of the Petty Kingdom I wanted to take, but good to know that it works.

On a related note, I'm now King of Ireland and I want to start moving into Wales. I found a pretty good claimant to some Petty Kingdom in Wales with an unpronounceable name. If I give this dude a County somewhere and then press his claim for on the Petty Kingdom, will he remain my vassal? Does it matter that his Petty Kingdom is not in my de jure Kingdom?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Hambilderberglar posted:

So I conquered some Mazdaki provinces as the Orthodox Byzantium in Azerbaijan and I want to (somehow) get some Zoroastrians on the throne, I've tried finding some to invite but they all dismiss me due to wrong religion penalties, and they don't want to marry infidels. How do I Zoroastrian? Ideally I'd give it to the two province Zoroastrian rebeller on the other side of the Caspian but I cannot figure out how to.

Have a Zoroastrian educate your heir. They are always willing to as long as you're their liege, and since you just conquered a few Zoroastrian provinces there'll still be some left I guess.

If not, fabricate a claim and claim it (do NOT holy war) to get new provinces from Zoroastrian rulers, and use the Zoroastrian mayors/clergy to educate your kids. :)

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dutchfool posted:

Have a Zoroastrian educate your heir. They are always willing to as long as you're their liege, and since you just conquered a few Zoroastrian provinces there'll still be some left I guess.

If not, fabricate a claim and claim it (do NOT holy war) to get new provinces from Zoroastrian rulers, and use the Zoroastrian mayors/clergy to educate your kids. :)
Sorry, I explained poorly, I want to have a Zoroastrian character (just one) in my court so I can hand him newly conquered provinces in the Kingdom of Persia so he can spread his Zoroastrian joy around. My dynasty should remain Greek Orthodox, I want to get some Zoroastrians running Azerbaijan and then get rid of it or be BFFs with it and trounce on the Sunni Persians together.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
So I finally sieged enough to end up with a Jain concubine and convert my Mongol guy, but there's no option to do it in the Intrigue menu? Am I missing something?

If that doesn't work, I'm just going to give and flip my capital. What's the easiest way to do that?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Zhaan posted:

So I finally sieged enough to end up with a Jain concubine and convert my Mongol guy, but there's no option to do it in the Intrigue menu? Am I missing something?

If that doesn't work, I'm just going to give and flip my capital. What's the easiest way to do that?

It showed up for me. I didn't notice it immediately, but it was there.
You could try making her your wife, that may work better.
It's not difficult to flip by capital, it just costs you a lot of Piety. Go conquer somewhere that's Jain, and rather than handing it off, keep it for yourself.

If you've used your capital move for your lifetime, get your affairs in order, ensure you have a suitable heir, then fail to assassinate the pope until he counter-assassinates you.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angela Christine posted:

You could try pissing him off, eventually he'll plot against you and you'll have free cause to arrest him and revoke one of his titles. Make him the court jester, repeatedly assign him to council and then fire him again, whatever it takes to make him hate you. Afterwards he'll probably hate you for the rest of his life, but his kids won't.

He already hates me quite a bit; was the only person who refused to come to my feast. Not sure what to do beyond that, though; while he has a faction to lower crown authority in the shahdom he's in (though not the empire as a whole, so it doesn't mean much) he hasn't plotted in a while.

Topic of plots, two funny things about them in this game. One, the game apparently doesn't calculate whether someone already has 100 opinion of you when calculating if a bribe would push them over the edge to joining your plots; I can get to 74.5% in my plot to revoke one of the counties outside its de jure borders in my land, and I can't get to the necessary 80% because all the people I'd bribe already love me as much as they can so the bribe literally does nothing except lose me money.

Other funny thing is how much people are plotting to fabricate claims in my lands. Since I'm the Zoroastrian leader, every single title in my land was either usurped or outright created by me, then personally handed out to whoever I saw fit. I can just imagine my ruler calling people into her court and asking them how, exactly, they are in line to receive the title when that title did not exist until she created it. (This is helped because, despite everyone loving her since she's a diplomatic beast, she has a pretty negative opinion of almost everyone. I can just imagine how silently frustrated she is all the time.)

And man, her daughter's even more beastly in stats than she is, despite only having Bright (which she has as well), the same education, and four other traits: Just, Patient, Ambitious, and Diligent. Four of the best possible heir traits to get; all except Just boost at least four stats (and Just is still +2 +1), and Just and Diligent give an opinion boost with vassals. The Karen matriarchy is pretty powerful so far, and since it's Elective I don't even need to worry about unlanded sons and whatnot. Now if only I can breed Attractive into the line as well; I already have positive opinions with pretty much everyone except the pope because of my diplomacy, but a +30 to opinion from male rulers (i.e. most rulers) would make things even better.

Also, now I get to point and laugh at the Caliph. He's gone from the bane of my existence to a nuisance in that I am limited in how often I can go to war with him and take his stuff, and now even other Sunni are taking his land from him. He just lost Damascus (his old capital) to the Bursaqids. Sadly they aren't taking away his land in Persia for me to subsequently steal from them, but it's still funny to watch.

Edit: Unrelated, but is there a reason I can't search for traits in the Character Finder? People said you can but I haven't been able to.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 3, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Did they change the console commands for editing stats? I'm trying to lower my character's stewardship to see more of the "improve X" events, and add_stewardship -1 (or, for that matter, add_stewardship 10) throws an "Invalid Character!" error.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Has the AI gotten more discriminating with regards to marriage lately?

No Duke is willing to marry my niece (of my dynasty) and I am literally emperor of half the known world.

It may because my brother died before my father could arrange to give him a title.

I've been having trouble with this too. The Caliph absolutely refuses to marry any of my daughters/sisters for "political concerns". I've got a very high relationship with him, but it's just impossible to overcome that penalty. I'm more powerful than him, and I'm marrying a woman into his dynasty - I am literally just giving him claims against me in exchange for an alliance that would benefit him more than it would me, and he STILL refuses to accept it. Trying to marry them to his sons causes the same problem. I get why he doesn't want to marry any of his daughters to my sons (since it would let me press claims against his empire), but I don't know why he won't do it the other way around.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Arcturas posted:

Did they change the console commands for editing stats? I'm trying to lower my character's stewardship to see more of the "improve X" events, and add_stewardship -1 (or, for that matter, add_stewardship 10) throws an "Invalid Character!" error.

I'm going to guess that it's interpreting the -1 or 10 as a character id instead of your stat parameter. Try add_stewardship [your id] -1 ?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Unrelated, but is there a reason I can't search for traits in the Character Finder? People said you can but I haven't been able to.

Just type the trait name in in the name box of the character finder.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is there any trait effect that would directly add to the demesne limit? Like if I wanted to modify the difficulty modifiers to add demesne limit to the player. Not indirectly with stewardship, but just straight +1 demesne.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Anyone else seen the Hope Diamond event while playing in India?

if so, can you tell me what happens if you decide to hold onto it after courtiers start trying to kill you? I wimped out b/c my ruler was completely deck and his heir was still only 4

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Is there any trait effect that would directly add to the demesne limit? Like if I wanted to modify the difficulty modifiers to add demesne limit to the player. Not indirectly with stewardship, but just straight +1 demesne.

I don't think so.

It would be really, really nice to have some kind of scripting documentation somewhere, so we wouldn't need to hunt through the files to find out about this stuff, and even then, some scripting functions exist that are not employed anywhere in the game.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Edison was a dick posted:

It showed up for me. I didn't notice it immediately, but it was there.
You could try making her your wife, that may work better.
It's not difficult to flip by capital, it just costs you a lot of Piety. Go conquer somewhere that's Jain, and rather than handing it off, keep it for yourself.

If you've used your capital move for your lifetime, get your affairs in order, ensure you have a suitable heir, then fail to assassinate the pope until he counter-assassinates you.

I reloaded with her as my concubine and there's nothing. I married her and there's nothing either, which is frustrating. I was really trying to avoid flipping capitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkrenown posted:

Just type the trait name in in the name box of the character finder.

That's what I'm doing. It isn't working.

Also, something annoying; I can arrest plot leaders, but actually doing anything to them is still viewed as tyrannical even though arresting them isn't. Why is this? Literally all I can do without gaining tyranny is release them, which, well, while it does boost the opinion of other vassals, is not what I want to do.

• Locked thread