Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

There's something about the pharros' lockstone mechanic that bugs me, but I'm not sure what it is.
The way they cost you a limited supply item for an effect that might actually be harmful to you, with no way of knowing beforehand? Because that's what I dislike about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Broken Cog posted:

Basically, you're screwed if you can't either stunlock her from 50%, or oneshot her.

I did neither since I was using a sword and I managed just fine though, sounds like you're just unlucky.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kanfy posted:

I did neither since I was using a sword and I managed just fine though, sounds like you're just unlucky.

Yeah, I'm using a poleaxe, and it's simply not doing enough damage in close quarters to get her down inbetween heals. Guess it's back to the Bastard Sword I go.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cardiovorax posted:

The way they cost you a limited supply item for an effect that might actually be harmful to you, with no way of knowing beforehand? Because that's what I dislike about them.

They're not really in limited supply though. They're fun in that way, IMO.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair some of them are significantly better than normal. Like the guy in the wharf if you use a bonfire ascetic. He can kill you in a single combo.

The guys in NG+ who show up in front of the door to the Throne of Want are one of the hardest encounters in the entire game.

I'd rather fight basically any player invader.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What I want to figure out is how to play a sorcerer character. So many of the enemies aggressively run into your face before you can finish casting your second spell. I've always played melee in the Souls games, and so does anyone have some quick tips for newbie casters?

Start as a sorcerer, grab the clerics chime and binos, go to town equipping whatever spells you want, make sure you ascetic najkas bonfire for an easy 3 additional attunement slots. Do heides as soon as possible to open up the copse and hexes.

Shields are for pussies, git gud at dodging

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

I'm told there's lots of pharros contraptions in a couple of areas I haven't reached yet. Is it feasible to get enough lockstones to open them all, juuuuust to make sure?

There's something about the pharros' lockstone mechanic that bugs me, but I'm not sure what it is.

There are two zones with a boat load of pharros' stones, but they are part of the Rat King covenant are pointless to unlock if you aren't in said covenant beyond some minor treasures. The only thing of note I recall is the Warmth spell in the Grave of Saints that requires you to give up a stone to lower a bridge.

And it is definitely feasible to open them all seeing as you can get infinite stones through the Rat Kings. The way the Rat King covenant works is that they draw non-covenant members in the zone into their world as a phantom for a fight. The winner gets a pharros lockstone. The Rat King is at a major advantage if he decides to attack you while you're busy with mobs, but on the other hand he is risking death while the phantom loses absolutely nothing for dying.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Robot Randy posted:

Start as a sorcerer, grab the clerics chime and binos, go to town equipping whatever spells you want, make sure you ascetic najkas bonfire for an easy 3 additional attunement slots. Do heides as soon as possible to open up the copse and hexes.

Shields are for pussies, git gud at dodging

What's the best way to get a decent set of robes? I've beaten Heide's and Forest of Fallen giants, and I'm still running around in the sorcerer's starting gear. Is there really nothing until I hit the Archdrake set in Bastille?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

voltron lion force posted:

They're not really in limited supply though. They're fun in that way, IMO.
Well, they are if you don't want to ratbro. It'd be better if the illusory walls the lockboxes reveal could be opened by hitting them so long as you know where they are. Instead, you have to use the same contraption with every character if you want to get the stuff more than once.

Sydin posted:

What's the best way to get a decent set of robes? I've beaten Heide's and Forest of Fallen giants, and I'm still running around in the sorcerer's starting gear. Is there really nothing until I hit the Archdrake set in Bastille?
If you've beaten Heide, you can use Licia to open the path to the Huntsman's copse. Get your Fth and Int to 20 and the Hex trainer will give you a free hexer set that's actually really good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So the login servers are down for several hours now, go down again 5 minutes after they are up. Is someone ddosing the service? I wish we had some info.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cardiovorax posted:

If you've beaten Heide, you can use Licia to open the path to the Huntsman's copse. Get your Fth and Int to 20 and the Hex trainer will give you a free hexer set that's actually really good.

The set itself is great, and I'd honestly say the hood is one of the best caster hats in the game. Extra casts to every spell you've slotted is huge, especially with the more powerful spells that you only have a limited number of already.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

The set itself is great, and I'd honestly say the hood is one of the best caster hats in the game. Extra casts to every spell you've slotted is huge, especially with the more powerful spells that you only have a limited number of already.
And for light armor, its actually fairly protective. Doesn't look half bad either, except for the hat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gonna stream a dual wield cestatus run, if anyone wants to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/shindragon

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

So the login servers are down for several hours now, go down again 5 minutes after they are up. Is someone ddosing the service? I wish we had some info.
Dark Souls' servers are fine. The problem seems to be with the steam community service which has been struggling for some time now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
There are multiple countries complaining about it being down, and I highly doubt this game uses one server set for worldwide logons or whatever.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

How does pvp work in this game? I'm 30 hours in and except for certain covenant zones I've never been invaded.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I log in just fine and can leave messages, summon/be summoned etc, but it seems very sparse today. I'm guessing that's directly related to the issues everyone else seems to be having? Today there were no summon signs to use in Huntsman's Copse at all, bar one small sign outside the second bonfire.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raygereio posted:

Dark Souls' servers are fine. The problem seems to be with the steam community service which has been struggling for some time now.

Its getting really goddamn annoying how poo poo the Steam servers have been getting on top of all the other garbage going on with Steam these days.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Jay Rust posted:

What I want to figure out is how to play a sorcerer character. So many of the enemies aggressively run into your face before you can finish casting your second spell. I've always played melee in the Souls games, and so does anyone have some quick tips for newbie casters?

Usually even if they got up in my face, I could catch them with a second cast and kill them right before they could touch me. Obviously, faster casting spells/equipment is good for this.

Otherwise, sometimes you can get just close enough to target and then back up a bit without losing your targeting. Or like everyone else mentioned, grab the binoculars and snipe from outside targeting range (just put stuff in the center of your screen to aim, you'll get a feel for it eventually). I've found lightning spear was better than the sorceries for this since it seems to have a longer range.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tracula posted:

Its getting really goddamn annoying how poo poo the Steam servers have been getting on top of all the other garbage going on with Steam these days.

Rather unusual as before DS2 came out Steam has always been alright for me with the exception of HL2's launch. Steam is normally rock-solid.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ClaytonClaw posted:

How does pvp work in this game? I'm 30 hours in and except for certain covenant zones I've never been invaded.

You generally won't be in new game, since the items that people use to invade are consumable and in semi-limited supply until new game+ (also there is nothing limiting the invasion pool, like in the previous games). Once you get in NG+ invasions become more common. In addition to the pvp covenant areas you can look for red or dragon signs on the ground that will summon people for a duel, or check out the arenas for pvp matchmaking.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

ClaytonClaw posted:

Cracked Red Eye Orbs are rare in NG and the only way to reliably get them is to duel in the Blood Covenant, which no one does.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I love everything about this game except Huntsman Copse. gently caress that place and its lovely bosses.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I love everything about this game except Huntsman Copse. gently caress that place and its lovely bosses.

The Skeleton Lords own and I will hear no different :colbert:

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Tracula posted:

I rolled them the first time through but my paladin dude can't take the heat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tracula posted:

The Skeleton Lords look like literal comic villains sitting there on their bone thrones, and are on my top 3 list of the easiest bosses in the game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I rolled them the first time through but my paladin dude can't take the heat.

If you're playing a paladin type, then just buy a shitload of holy water urns and use them (it'll be in-character!). The lords will go down with two urns, the little skeletons will die in one hit. Knight Targray sells a bunch of them, just join the sentinels temporarily and stock up. If you need a token of fidelity, there's one on a pillar in the Copse that you can get to by running off a nearby cliff or dropping through that wooden bridge.

Just don't go crazy and kill more than one lord at a time, but you probably already know that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I made the horrible mistake of attacking the mage skeleton first.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Grondoth posted:

I made the horrible mistake of attacking the mage skeleton first.

I made the mistake of killing them all one time, so I got stuck with swarms of skeletons AND the bonewheels. :stonk: It was kind of funny really, they would knock into me from somewhere offscreen every time I tried to drink estus until I was just dead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

The Skeleton Lords look like literal comic villains sitting there on their bone thrones, and are on my top 3 list of the easiest bosses in the game.

On the other hand it's a lot of fun to get two white phantoms and fight off a horde of skeletons. There aren't a lot of areas that are you versus more than like five guys max.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having sunbrod that fight many times, I'll say this; Skeleton Lords go from trivial to impossible if you make the fatal mistake of killing the 3 lords first. That's probably your first intuition, since they are big and spooky, but they honestly aren't that dangerous. Killing each one spawns a bunch of skeletons though, and a dozen skeletons is a lot more dangerous than one big skeleton. If you run into that fight and murder the 3 lords right away, you're gonna get swarmed by all their minions and annihilated.

If you leave one lord alive, preferably the one that spawns bonewheels, then the fight is easy. I still enjoy it though just because its silly fun. Smashing through an army of skeletons while awesome music plays is pretty enjoyable. The chariot is another boss I like for similar reasons, though I'm still disappointed that the wheels of the chariot aren't bonewheels.

VVVV You won't even get a chance to attack before being poked to death because every attacks stuns you.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 3, 2014

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Kimmalah posted:

I made the mistake of killing them all one time, so I got stuck with swarms of skeletons AND the bonewheels. :stonk:
This is the only way to fight this boss, and then you bunch up all the little ones together and sweep them away all at once with your biggest weapon. :colbert:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I killed all three at give-or-take the same exact time and the entire skeleton horde spawned and it was still a pretty easy fight

e: I also had no idea more dudes would spawn

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If you leave one lord alive, preferably the one that spawns bonewheels, then the fight is easy. I still enjoy it though just because its silly fun. Smashing through an army of skeletons while awesome music plays is pretty enjoyable. The chariot is another boss I like for similar reasons, though I'm still disappointed that the wheels of the chariot aren't bonewheels.
I have actually no idea which one of the lords spawns Bonewheels. I just figured it was always the last one you kill.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Captain Oblivious posted:

How on earth is anyone getting invaded "constantly"?

I have no idea. I didn't get invaded until NG+ on PS3, and I haven't been invaded at all on PC. I went to the Namco forums to see if there was anything on there about the servers being down, but I just saw thread after thread of people bellyaching about the CONSTANT INVASIONS INTO THEIR GAME.

It's as if they are saying that invasions should be removed entirely. SOmeone even suggested that you should be able to "opt out" of pvp.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Faraday Cage posted:

This is the only way to fight this boss, and then you bunch up all the little ones together and sweep them away all at once with your biggest weapon. :colbert:

I guess you could, if you carry a comically giant weapon. :colbert: But it doesn't work so well when you're having to kill them individually.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

It's as if they are saying that invasions should be removed entirely. SOmeone even suggested that you should be able to "opt out" of pvp.

Why is that so shocking? Some people aren't playing for the PvP. I don't think it should be removed, but it would be nice to be able to avoid it without missing out on messages and stuff (or burning through all your effigies).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 3, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was invaded once every 20 minutes after I passed 900k SM on my first PC char. No idea why. It got old real fast.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

If you're playing a paladin type, then just buy a shitload of holy water urns and use them (it'll be in-character!). The lords will go down with two urns, the little skeletons will die in one hit. Knight Targray sells a bunch of them, just join the sentinels temporarily and stock up. If you need a token of fidelity, there's one on a pillar in the Copse that you can get to by running off a nearby cliff or dropping through that wooden bridge.

Just don't go crazy and kill more than one lord at a time, but you probably already know that.

:cheers:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I have no idea. I didn't get invaded until NG+ on PS3, and I haven't been invaded at all on PC. I went to the Namco forums to see if there was anything on there about the servers being down, but I just saw thread after thread of people bellyaching about the CONSTANT INVASIONS INTO THEIR GAME.

I've been invaded either 2 or 3 times in something like 40 hours. While a portion of that is me idling in already cleared zones to assist on bosses, that still leaves with me with at most 1 invasion every 10 hours. It's pretty pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

I have actually no idea which one of the lords spawns Bonewheels. I just figured it was always the last one you kill.

Neither did I! Everytime I've done that fight solo the bonewheels always spawned last, so I assumed at first they always came in at the end. Then when I started helping people with it online, I'd see bonewheels tearing up the arena right after one lord died. So I think specific skeleton spawns are tied to each lord.

Elysiume posted:

I've been invaded either 2 or 3 times in something like 40 hours. While a portion of that is me idling in already cleared zones to assist on bosses, that still leaves with me with at most 1 invasion every 10 hours. It's pretty pathetic.

You shouldn't be able to be invaded in a cleared area anyways. If invasions were actually common that would make the game horrible. Wanna infuse a weapon? Invaded. Wanna forge something from a boss souls? Invaded. Dealing with any NPC outside of Majula would be miserable.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 3, 2014