Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Octatonic posted:

Tell that to a Corsican

Quebec is part of Canada too and you'll piss people off just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Does a place stop being a colony just because it's been colonized a really long time? I'm actually legit curious about what people think about that. Is it a function of time, culture, legal status? What about places like Martinique? What about Puerto Rico, to bring things back to the US?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Octatonic posted:

Tell that to a Corsican

I think the French already told em.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Octatonic posted:

Does a place stop being a colony just because it's been colonized a really long time? I'm actually legit curious about what people think about that. Is it a function of time, culture, legal status? What about places like Martinique? What about Puerto Rico, to bring things back to the US?

Not to derail, but in very brief this was a core problem for the Fourth Republic with regards to Algeria. France had, for ages, maintained that Algeria was not merely a colony but rather part of France proper. Thus initial resistance to Algerian independence came from the sentiment not that a colonized people were trying to exercise their own sovereignty, but rather that a province was attempting to secede from metropolitan France. This put de Gaulle, and others who eventually came around to the inevitability of parting with Algeria, in the rather contorted position of pretending that independence was what they had always had in mind, as culmination of France's benign civilizing mission, which ran entirely counter to the bog-standard orthodoxy of republican thought on the constitution of the nation (and incidentally was part of the reason the OAS tried to kill him).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I think the solution here is to prosecute people who make death threats so that they become felons and can no longer own guns.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
St. Pierre and Miquelon send delegates to France's National Assembly and are patrolled by units of the French national police. Its citizens have French suffrage and citizenship. I want to visit sometime because it just sounds too weird.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

StandardVC10 posted:

St. Pierre and Miquelon send delegates to France's National Assembly and are patrolled by units of the French national police. Its citizens have French suffrage and citizenship. I want to visit sometime because it just sounds too weird.

Wonder what the situation is with our part of the Virgin Islands?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This came up in the gun thread du jour. Essentially, they are concerned that if smart guns become available, all other non-smart guns will be banned, and confiscated. Therefore, it is imperative that the technology be suppressed. If it is, mysteriously, impossible to get a "smart gun" in, say, New Jersey, you can't say they're available, and therefore you cannot immediately confiscate all the old guns!

The likelihood of any of this happening is left as an exercise to the reader.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Octatonic posted:

Sort of, there's people at the UN that define these things. This was much more important when the UN was originally formed, but there's still "colonies" on the "non self governing entity" list: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_list_of_non-self-governing_territories

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

This came up in the gun thread du jour. Essentially, they are concerned that if smart guns become available, all other non-smart guns will be banned, and confiscated. Therefore, it is imperative that the technology be suppressed. If it is, mysteriously, impossible to get a "smart gun" in, say, New Jersey, you can't say they're available, and therefore you cannot immediately confiscate all the old guns!

For decades of listening to gun debates I have operated under the assumption that the government confiscating guns was 100% fantasy and out of the question no matter what, that the worst that could happen to gun fans is that they could no longer buy new guns anymore. Is that accurate?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Nessus posted:

Besides the confiscation part this is the actual law in New Jersey.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I read something that said New Jersey has a law that triggers (haha) whenever there is a smart gun available for reasonable sale anywhere in the US that from then on only smart guns will be legal to sell in NJ

I make no claims to the legitimacy of this statement

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Defenestration posted:

I read something that said New Jersey has a law that triggers (haha) whenever there is a smart gun available for reasonable sale anywhere in the US that from then on only smart guns will be legal to sell in NJ

I make no claims to the legitimacy of this statement

You're just asking questions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

For decades of listening to gun debates I have operated under the assumption that the government confiscating guns was 100% fantasy and out of the question no matter what, that the worst that could happen to gun fans is that they could no longer buy new guns anymore. Is that accurate?
I believe the New Jersey law, based on that article, requires that all handguns (not long guns) be "personalized" within three years after such technology becomes available at a semi-reasonable price. I am unsure of the details. It is very difficult to know anything about this matter for sure, as every concrete object is surrounded by a thousand signs and significations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I believe the New Jersey law, based on that article, requires that all handguns (not long guns) be "personalized" within three years after such technology becomes available at a semi-reasonable price. I am unsure of the details. It is very difficult to know anything about this matter for sure, as every concrete object is surrounded by a thousand signs and significations.
Or what? Surely government stormtroopers don't come into your house, as the fantasy goes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or what? Surely government stormtroopers don't come into your house, as the fantasy goes.

Well, being in possession of an illegal firearm generally isn't a good long-term move, and there probably will be "stormtroopers" (police) involved at some point.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/12/nyregion/smart-guns-a-clever-bit-of-legislating.html

The law would ban the retail sale and importation into New Jersey of non-smart guns. Non-smart guns already owned by NJ residents would not be affected, private sales of them would still be permitted.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, being in possession of an illegal firearm generally isn't a good long-term move, and there probably will be "stormtroopers" (police) involved at some point.
What I mean is, why would they know that you have an illegal gun in your house, other than by way of investigating a sale? It's not like they're consumables like drugs where you'll have to buy more someday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/12/nyregion/smart-guns-a-clever-bit-of-legislating.html

The law would ban the retail sale and importation into New Jersey of non-smart guns. Non-smart guns already owned by NJ residents would not be affected, private sales of them would still be permitted.

As soon as someone has standing to being a case this law is going down so fast...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I mean is, why would they know that you have an illegal gun in your house, other than by way of investigating a sale? It's not like they're consumables like drugs where you'll have to buy more someday.

New Jersey requires registering sales of handguns, which covers the large majority of handguns entering the state (the rest being people moving and bringing guns, etc).

Doesn't matter though given that it wouldn't affect existing firearms in the state.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

New Jersey requires registering sales of handguns, which covers the large majority of handguns entering the state (the rest being people moving and bringing guns, etc).
Right, so you have a gun that was legal when it was registered, are they going to be watching those registrations, waiting for three years to pass, and then knocking on people's doors and asking "Do you have this gun in your house? Mind if we come in and look?"

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, so you have a gun that was legal when it was registered, are they going to be watching those registrations, waiting for three years to pass, and then knocking on people's doors and asking "Do you have this gun in your house? Mind if we come in and look?"

haveblue posted:

Non-smart guns would be grandfathered.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Samurai Sanders posted:

You could certainly legislate such a situation, given the existence of registration data. A requirement to modify/"personalize" existing guns plus an oversight regime of some kind to make sure it happens, and then you start matching people who you have cause to believe have guns versus people who didn't register doing the modifications. At that point you'd be dealing with people in possession of illegal firearms (same as a sawed-off shotgun or something like that) and those tend not to be visits from Officer McFriendly. There's tons of people who have Grandpa's totally illegal WWII SMG bringback sitting in their attics unknowingly and they tend not to get hosed too hard but if you're doing it knowingly (like ignoring a high-profile change like this) you're cruising for a bruising.

But it's pretty unlikely that would be legislated and even more unlikely to come into force. The link haveblue posted says that the law doesn't require modifying existing firearms, it only requires that any firearms sold through FFLs at future dates be smart guns.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 3, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Non-smart guns would be grandfathered.
Yeah, that was exactly what I was asking six posts ago. Was I unclear?

edit: well, I was asking more in general, not just this specific situation.

edit:

Paul MaudDib posted:

You could certainly legislate such a situation, given the existence of registration data.
Oh. Has it ever happened?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

As soon as someone has standing to being a case this law is going down so fast...

How do you figure? There are existing state laws about safety mechanisms, storage requirements, etc that have been held up as constitutional. Assuming that New Jersey doesn't enforce anything until the feature is legitimately widely available on the market, why should this be treated any differently?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

^^ - Probably the old "in a 5-4 decision" thinking again

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that was exactly what I was asking six posts ago. Was I unclear?

edit: well, I was asking more in general, not just this specific situation.

edit:
Re the clarity, only slightly. Re "has it ever happened," I'm not sure if it has in America, but it has in Foreign Parts, albeit sometimes two generations later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you figure? There are existing state laws about safety mechanisms, storage requirements, etc that have been held up as constitutional. Assuming that New Jersey doesn't enforce anything until the feature is legitimately widely available on the market, why should this be treated any differently?

This Supreme Court has struck down complete bans on handguns and this might effectively be one. Or whatever knots Scalia is willing to tie himself in.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The "in a 5-4 decision..." thing for sure, especially on the basis that this is a core change to the firearm that could result in the firearm failing to function at a critical moment. I doubt the Supreme Court is going to allow a requirement that guns sold be of a type that is less likely to function reliably.

What happens if the watch battery gets low at an inopportune moment, or the wireless chip craps out and the rest keeps working fine and you don't notice because you aren't a prepper who shoots his gun every day? This is a much more invasive requirement than a drop test or something like that. If your cell phone loses signal you swear at it, if a smart gun loses the signal you will probably be hurt/killed since you are (supposed to be) in danger of imminent bodily harm.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 3, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "in a 5-4 decision..." thing for sure, especially on the basis that this is a core change to the firearm that could result in the firearm failing to function at a critical moment. I doubt the Supreme Court is going to allow a requirement that guns sold be of a type that is less likely to function reliably.

What happens if the watch battery gets low at an inopportune moment, or the wireless chip craps out and the rest keeps working fine and you don't notice because you don't shoot the gun every day? This is a much more invasive requirement than a drop test or something like that.
Surely all that stuff was made to be super-reliable for exactly that reason? You're right, a gun for self-defense that could decide not to fire when you need it most is probably worse than no gun at all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Paul MaudDib posted:

What happens if the watch battery gets low at an inopportune moment, or the wireless chip craps out and the rest keeps working fine and you don't notice because you aren't a prepper who shoots his gun every day? This is a much more invasive requirement than a drop test or something like that.
Isn't the onus on the owner to make sure his equipment is in working order? Take a trigger lock. In places where they are required it's the job of the gun owner to make sure that they know where the key to the lock is, that the lock is functioning, etc, is it not?

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I'm assuming that the battery requirements on this 'watch' are tiny, and the chances of it failing at a critical moment are infinitesimal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Unrelated to gunchat, I figure this is as good a place to drop this as any other thread, and better than most. Yesterday, the Vermont state legislature passed a joint resolution calling for a constitutional convention to overturn Citizens United.

quote:

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives:

That the General Assembly, pursuant to Article V of the U.S. Constitution, hereby petitions the U.S. Congress to call a convention for the sole purpose of proposing amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America that would limit the corrupting influence of money in our electoral process, including, inter alia, by overturning the Citizens United decision

As much as I'd like otherwise, I don't see this actually accomplishing all that much since either Congress or 33 other state legislatures would have to act on its/their own. Nice to have something non-terrible to talk about for a change, though plus it gives me a reason to brag up my home state a bit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SubponticatePoster posted:

Isn't the onus on the owner to make sure his equipment is in working order? Take a trigger lock. In places where they are required it's the job of the gun owner to make sure that they know where the key to the lock is, that the lock is functioning, etc, is it not?

Trigger locks are different from this though. You take the gun out of the case and you take the trigger lock off, at which point the firearm is highly reliable. In comparison you don't ever take the electronic interlock out of a smart gun, you wear around a watch which interfaces with it, and the average person has no way to verify the reliability of an electronic system like that short of regular test-firing.

Pong Daddy posted:

I'm assuming that the battery requirements on this 'watch' are tiny, and the chances of it failing at a critical moment are infinitesimal.

Radio transmitters actually do consume quite a lot of battery power, significantly more than just a watch, and it will have to be transmitting 24/7, which implies a need for regular maintenance. And how often have you had a lovely piece of electronic crap fail? It's a nice assumption that it's no-muss-no-fuss but even in the best case the chances of failure are undeniably higher than trigger locks. And in the worst case, lower-priced (pejoratively, "saturday night special") smart guns will probably be quite a lot more unreliable.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Has it ever happened," the world's most mega-useful inquiry when it comes to laws affecting the exercise of political rights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Heller struck down trigger lock requirements.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

"Has it ever happened," the world's most mega-useful inquiry when it comes to laws affecting the exercise of political rights.
Well, it wasn't my first question (since you're right, things that have never happened before happen all the time), but it was among my questions, yes.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 3, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Why would they even have the watch transmitter need a battery in the first place? A passive RFID tag is cheap, doesn't need its own power source, and would have more than enough of a read range given the close proximity to the actual gun.

Not that this solves any problems with the interlock in and of itself, but the watch is not the likely point of failure in this.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Unrelated to gunchat, I figure this is as good a place to drop this as any other thread, and better than most. Yesterday, the Vermont state legislature passed a joint resolution calling for a constitutional convention to overturn Citizens United.

As much as I'd like otherwise, I don't see this actually accomplishing all that much since either Congress or 33 other state legislatures would have to act on its/their own. Nice to have something non-terrible to talk about for a change, though plus it gives me a reason to brag up my home state a bit.

I've been trying to find just how campaign finance affected the 2012 election. The largest outside group that spent money for the 2012 cycle was "Restore Our Future", a group that put $142 million into electing Romney (money well spent). They appear to gave gotten money mostly from individuals and their private companies. After that was American Crossroads with $91 million in spending, followed by "Priorities USA Action", a group that spent $65 million on supporting Obama. I can't find much about their contributors.

The information I've found is interesting because it suggests that large public companies like Wal-Mart aren't spending much outside of their regular PACs. It makes sense, since burning lots of money of campaigns is the sort of thing that could lead to a shareholder lawsuit.

Instead, the piles of money is coming from wealthy individuals and private corporations they own, which are essentially the same since an owner could always take a distribution from their corporation and spend it on campaigns. So Citizens United didn't do much unless you wanted to structure your Super PAC as a corporation for some reason. Instead what caused it is the later decision that allowed Super PACs in the first place, SpeechNOW.org v. FEC, and overturning that is going down a serious rabbit hole.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Technogeek posted:

Why would they even have the watch transmitter need a battery in the first place? A passive RFID tag is cheap, doesn't need its own power source, and would have more than enough of a read range given the close proximity to the actual gun.

Not that this solves any problems with the interlock in and of itself, but the watch is not the likely point of failure in this.

The magna-trigger solved this problem years ago, nobody wanted them or cared. This is purely an attempt to make the technology available as a stalking horse for requiring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you don't want to use it just buy a shitload more normal guns now. :smugdog:

• Locked thread