Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Alereon posted:

The First FSM-270YG I bought for $279.90 on Sunday arrived yesterday, significantly beating the shipping estimate of Monday. This thing is beautiful, thanks for all your help Zorilla! I neglected to consider that I'd need a longer Dual-Link DVI cable to connect it to my machine, but I hooked it up to my roommate's box for a quick inspection and it looks great. Backlight bleed is the best I could have hoped for, it looks almost perfectly even straight-on with only very slight extra bleed along the bottom where the taskbar normally is, there are no obvious bright corners like I was afraid of. I didn't see any dead pixels when I tested with black and RGB backgrounds. The only problem is that brightness adjustment doesn't seem to be working, I'm holding the +/- down buttons next to the power button with no visual change, but maybe I'm doing it wrong and will test more thoroughly later today when I get the longer cable. IPS glow is definitely visible on a black screen, I'm hoping that I'll be able to improve this by reducing the brightness, though at the end of the day even if I'm stuck here its a HUGE improvement over the Acer P243W TN-panel I was using before.

Can anyone suggest any good test images or patterns for checking for dithering artifacts on 6-bit panels? I'm curious if I can actually see any visual artifacts going away vs just a general improvement in color quality.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that stupid 3 1/2' DVI cable it came with. Even among cheap Korean monitors, that's just plain cheap.

These IPS panels do glow a little bit on the bottom from a normal viewing angle and distance, It's not that, right? If not, I recommend "massaging" the area surrounding the bleed with a fine microfiber cloth, observing how it changes as you apply gentle pressure. IPS panels are so finnicky about fit that even the slightest change can have a significant effect on bleed.

As for brightness, the controls respond very slowly compared to the X-STAR and QNIX. The labels are in Korean, but you did correctly guess that it was the pair of buttons directly to the left of the power button that control brightness, not the first two on the left like some other models. You need to hold it down for a few seconds before you'll even notice a change. The power LED will blink slowly, then quickly, indicating the adjustment rate is speeding up.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone used one of the zr22w stands on their Korean(corean) monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-LA961AA-ZR22W-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00HES611S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399130803&sr=8-1&keywords=zr22w+stand

Ordered one of these after seeing it mentioned a few places. Looks like vesa 100.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-LA961AA-ZR22W-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00HES611S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399130803&sr=8-1&keywords=zr22w+stand

Ordered one of these after seeing it mentioned a few places. Looks like vesa 100.

Don't have a Korean monitor, but that's actually cheaper than like the lovely monoprice or whatever generic adjustable vesa monitor stand on Amazon. I might get one for my old TN display. Sweet find :)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Don Lapre posted:

We have a couple ZR2740w's at work, and like the rest of the monitor, the stands are built like a tank. $27 is a really good price for that.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What do people think about the Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 at a $490 price point these days (http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0).

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

My original plan was to purchase a BenQ XL2420Z but reading up on the 144Hz TN monitors made me want to wait until June to see if the G-Sync monitors get released. Doing even more reading has made the overclock-able Korean PLS monitors seem extremely lucrative.

Is there any reason to wait until June if I plan on purchasing a XStar/Qnix?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Zorilla posted:

These IPS panels do glow a little bit on the bottom from a normal viewing angle and distance, It's not that, right? If not, I recommend "massaging" the area surrounding the bleed with a fine microfiber cloth, observing how it changes as you apply gentle pressure. IPS panels are so finnicky about fit that even the slightest change can have a significant effect on bleed.
Now that I have it set up in front of me I think this is more a result of where I'm sitting to look at the monitor. It does have a bit more bleed in the lower-right corner, but that's also where I least care about having bleed. It feels like the color temperature is a bit cool, but I think my monitors were previously just set warm. I found resetting my other display back to factory default made it match this one pretty closely. I can play with color in my nVidia settings anyway. Coming from a TN monitor the color temperature depending on how much I was slouching so this is a huge improvement in any case.

quote:

As for brightness, the controls respond very slowly compared to the X-STAR and QNIX. The labels are in Korean, but you did correctly guess that it was the pair of buttons directly to the left of the power button that control brightness, not the first two on the left like some other models. You need to hold it down for a few seconds before you'll even notice a change. The power LED will blink slowly, then quickly, indicating the adjustment rate is speeding up.
Thanks, verified working. I would have liked a bit more range but it's definitely enough for normal usage.

Edit: Also, while I haven't tested it, the nVidia control panel says the display is HDCP-capable, contrary to the TechReport review.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 3, 2014

VoodooChild
Feb 2, 2003

Watering can... Where are you Mr.Watering can?

Don Lapre posted:

A good alternative to 3 monitor gaming is one of the new ultra wide 21:9 monitors.

That's definitely an interesting possibility that I wasn't aware of. I like having multiple screens so that I can watch TV shows while I'm gaming, so I'm currently pondering getting a Dell U2913WM as my main screen and pairing it with a Dell P2414H for TV/email/Twitter. The P2414H isn't quite as nice as the U2414Hs that I'm using now, but lacks the DisplayPort and EDID issues as far as I can tell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrDork posted:

While I can see it being better for day-to-day use than 3x monitors, how do you find working with it on the fringe cases? I'm thinking things like games that really prefer to be full-screen for performance reasons, but don't support super-wide ratios (or do so by stretching everything), or even just something simple like a full-screen game with Vent/TS/Jabber windows open, or the ever-common MMO + anime. Do you find the lack of physical screens problematic?

I personally haven't run into a game that hasn't accepted the 2560x1080 resolution. I know they're out there but most games that won't go 21:9 don't do Eyefinity either. WSGF had a good list of games and how they scaled.

I use the screen as two 4x3 monitors with aero snap normally.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Smashing Link posted:

What do people think about the Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 at a $490 price point these days (http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0).
It's an excellent monitor, and is on my heavily watched list. It uses the same panels that you'll find in the Korean $300 specials, but obviously you're getting a much better stand, build quality, and an actual warranty out of the deal--and a much lower probability of needing to crack the case open to massage bits and pieces into shape. And of course the usual assortment of extra ports.

The downside (other than the extra cost--and it's taken trips under $450 before) vs the Korean monitors is that you can't really overclock it. It will apparently allow you to push it to 75-85Hz, but from what little I've been able to find on people actually reporting results, it likely drops frames to manage the increased refresh. Whether that results in a smoother experience vs 60Hz or not...I have no idea. The Korean DVI-only monitors, on the other hand, can usually hit north of 85Hz without issue (though it can do funny things to the colors, so you usually need to use a modified ICC profile to bring things back into line).

Comes down to whether you want to overclock or not, and/or whether the extra build quality, QA, and features is worth $150 to you. Actual image quality should be virtually the same.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

It's an excellent monitor, and is on my heavily watched list. It uses the same panels that you'll find in the Korean $300 specials, but obviously you're getting a much better stand, build quality, and an actual warranty out of the deal--and a much lower probability of needing to crack the case open to massage bits and pieces into shape. And of course the usual assortment of extra ports.

The downside (other than the extra cost--and it's taken trips under $450 before) vs the Korean monitors is that you can't really overclock it. It will apparently allow you to push it to 75-85Hz, but from what little I've been able to find on people actually reporting results, it likely drops frames to manage the increased refresh. Whether that results in a smoother experience vs 60Hz or not...I have no idea. The Korean DVI-only monitors, on the other hand, can usually hit north of 85Hz without issue (though it can do funny things to the colors, so you usually need to use a modified ICC profile to bring things back into line).

Comes down to whether you want to overclock or not, and/or whether the extra build quality, QA, and features is worth $150 to you. Actual image quality should be virtually the same.

I'm interested mostly in the screen real estate and picture quality for text-based work and movies. Overclocking isn't that important to me. I have a 2014 rMBP so would prefer a monitor that already has a DisplayPort and don't mind paying a little extra for quality and warranty. The other features I would really like are HDMI in and digital audio out to run my Apple TV in and then audio out to my speaker set, and VESA mounting, and it looks like this one has all of the above features. Thanks for the input...by the way what is the best way to monitor for price changes for a monitor?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Smashing Link posted:

If you don't use your own stand set-up the stand is really nice. It was down to $422 or so on an amazon warehouse deal. I'd add it to camelcamelcamel because I assume it'll go on sale eventually. I'd personally wait for a nice Monoprice monitor to go on sale (which they always do) or for that one. Unless you have the cash now it's pretty much whether you want the stand or not

Camelcamelcamel.com (silly random name) is amazing. It'll give you history of prices and you can monitor a certain product to have it send you an email when it drops below ___. Also look into the Monoprice monitors. I have the 27" IPS glass pro or whatever one and it's nice

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2014

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! The price history thing is really cool. Looks like I missed out on the Monoprice 27" at $300 last New Years' Eve.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You'll usually find the Monoprice deals on :siren: buy/rakuten. Just check slickdeals.net daily. I'm not joking when I say they go on sale pretty much every 1-2 months if not more.

Last month I got the 27" IPS-Glass Panel Pro LED Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 for $340. Of course CA sales tax got me :argh:

But still it has DP/HDMI/VGA etc and a decent stand (does everything but height). I'd personally check out that one. Even not on sale it's a fair price plus you get the quality control assurance.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
You'll have to excuse me, the phrase quality control assurance together with monoprice actually made me laugh out loud. But of course in this context compared to non-perfect rebranded samsung panels put into cheap casings it is an appealing benefit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think what I meant to say is that they do no hassle returns/exchanges, I think..

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Christoff posted:

I think what I meant to say is that they do no hassle returns/exchanges, I think..

Oh yeah I get it and its totally valid here. And monitors are far removed from their general cable business. It's just that the statement on its own its like a brick to my brain haha

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm currently looking at the Dell U2410, but I was curious about a few things:

1. I've read that the first editions of this monitor had a pink tint to them, has this issue been fixed in the later models?
2. Since most sites I've been to have this as a discontinued item, I've been stuck looking at Ebay for models, and the one seller I was interested in states that the monitors themselves have been refurbished by a third party not affiliated with Dell. If I have issues with the monitor, am I screwed? Will Dell tell me to screw off if I come to them? I don't exactly trust Ebay.
3. I read this monitor came out in 2009, are there any better versions of this monitor out now? Or better yet, something released recently that is in the same pricerange as the older model? I'm on a tight budget, but I do want something of quality.
4. I'm a non-pro photographer that does get professional work from time to time from labels and etc. I shoot Raw, work in CS5/6, and generally export my photos for online hosting. Pprinting is kind of a new realm for me (I usually outsource my stuff to other local shops), but it's something I want to take into account for the new computer I'm building. I know the U2410 has 100% sRGB color gamut coverage and 96% coverage for Adobe rgb, but I wanted to know if there were any newer monitors that had the same color gamut (or wider) that I should look into to. I know that Dell released the U2412M, but from what I've read it's inferior in almost every way to the U2410. Are there any monitors comparable to the U2410 (or an upgraded version of the U2410 I should look into)? I am kind of on a budget, which I know is a huge issue when it comes to monitors like these, but it's an issue I have to deal with. If there are none, are there any preferred websites to pick up a U2410?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not sure I'd say "no hassle" (the ~$400 ones from Monoprice have a <6 dead pixel policy, and all monitors from Monoprice only get replaced with new ones for the first 30 days--after that you get a used/refurb), but you at least have a US-based company to deal with. That said, some people have had very good luck regarding returns or compensation from the eBay sellers, so it's not like they're all out to screw you, either. Just don't bother with pixel-perfect guarantees, as those are an actual scam.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Not trying to derail the thread, but if you are interested I'm selling a mint condition u2410, with I think the latest firmware. It's in mint condition, no dead pixels I've noticed and minimal use for the last few years, no scratches or scuffs as it hasn't moved since I set it up (basically as new as these things get without being new). I'm moving to a Korean or Asus 27in monitor and won't need it anymore. Let me know if you are interested.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I had a look at the 34UM65 in a store today.

The monitor itself is a cheap plastic looking piece of poo poo, but my god the size and aspect ratio is STUNNING.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1. The pink tint only ever affected a small subset of monitors, and has long since been fixed (more or less, anyhow--nothing's perfect).
2. Probably screwed--Dell isn't going to honor a warranty after someone else hosed with it.
3. The U2410's direct successor is the U2413. Similar "upgraded" monitors to look at would be PA249Q, or PA248Q, depending on whether or not you really want wide-gamut (think long and hard about that one).
4. See above. Note that unless you really know what you're doing, and have access to a hardware colorometer and the print lab's profiles, having a wide-gamut monitor isn't gonna do you a whole lot of good. If you do match everything up with your lab, you can get better results than you otherwise would, but it does take some effort. In the meantime, everything else you make for publication/consumption on the web or normal computers will look off because of the difference in colorspace.

If you can't find a U2410 on Amazon (or from a friendly Goon), eBay is sadly likely your best bet. But considering the U2413 is only slightly more expensive brand new from various places, it's hard to recommend the U2410 for any reason--if nothing else, the U2413's far less aggressive AG coating makes it worth the extra few bucks over the U2410.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

1. I've read that the first editions of this monitor had a pink tint to them, has this issue been fixed in the later models?
2. Since most sites I've been to have this as a discontinued item, I've been stuck looking at Ebay for models, and the one seller I was interested in states that the monitors themselves have been refurbished by a third party not affiliated with Dell. If I have issues with the monitor, am I screwed? Will Dell tell me to screw off if I come to them? I don't exactly trust Ebay.
3. I read this monitor came out in 2009, are there any better versions of this monitor out now? Or better yet, something released recently that is in the same pricerange as the older model? I'm on a tight budget, but I do want something of quality.
4. I'm a non-pro photographer that does get professional work from time to time from labels and etc. I shoot Raw, work in CS5/6, and generally export my photos for online hosting. Pprinting is kind of a new realm for me (I usually outsource my stuff to other local shops), but it's something I want to take into account for the new computer I'm building. I know the U2410 has 100% sRGB color gamut coverage and 96% coverage for Adobe rgb, but I wanted to know if there were any newer monitors that had the same color gamut (or wider) that I should look into to. I know that Dell released the U2412M, but from what I've read it's inferior in almost every way to the U2410. Are there any monitors comparable to the U2410 (or an upgraded version of the U2410 I should look into)? I am kind of on a budget, which I know is a huge issue when it comes to monitors like these, but it's an issue I have to deal with. If there are none, are there any preferred websites to pick up a U2410?

1. Yes (although honestly, I found my original U2410 had a yellowish/greenish tint, not pink), my current one is perfect
2. I imagine they will mostly be out of warranty now, but that's really up to you to check with that specific vendor
3. There's a successor, U2413
4. It's still a decent monitor for the use case, but ideally you'll calibrate anything yourself anyway if you need accuracy

vv If he's not sure of the version, that's easy to tell, pull out the serial number card on the left side of the monitor behind the USB ports/card reader, it has the date of manufacture and the revision number. I have an A08.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2014

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Bonobos posted:

Not trying to derail the thread, but if you are interested I'm selling a mint condition u2410, with I think the latest firmware. It's in mint condition, no dead pixels I've noticed and minimal use for the last few years, no scratches or scuffs as it hasn't moved since I set it up (basically as new as these things get without being new). I'm moving to a Korean or Asus 27in monitor and won't need it anymore. Let me know if you are interested.

PM me with the details, because I'm interested.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
32inch MVA 2560x1440 panels:

Good lord.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Out of my budget but I thought it'd cost more to be honest, although I don't think it necessarily should have.

Can lean back so gangster with that monitor

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Is anyone on here using a 21:9 display? I'm building a desktop for school and am trying to decide between two 24" displays, one 27" display, or one 29" inch 21:9 display. I would definitely value the desk space savings and fewer cables with the 21:9. Anyone have experience with them?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

PM me with the details, because I'm interested.

I don't have PM (non PLAT user), but feel free to email me. herrkora AT hotmail DOT com.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Is anyone on here using a 21:9 display? I'm building a desktop for school and am trying to decide between two 24" displays, one 27" display, or one 29" inch 21:9 display. I would definitely value the desk space savings and fewer cables with the 21:9. Anyone have experience with them?

How are you saving space with the 29" over the 27"? Beyond the larger screen size, the aspect ratio means it will be even wider compared to the 27", so it will have an even larger desk space footprint.

I don't think I'd like it because with the 29" you lose resolution, even with the bigger screen. You might feel differently though, and to be fair, I haven't used one. With my workflow, though, there aren't any situations I can think of where I would prefer the 29" over a 2560x1440 27" monitor.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone else had any experience with the Dell U2713hm monitors? I got one last week, and while 1440p is awesome there's quite a bit of light bleed. Just wondering if this much is normal?

It's a little off putting when the screen is dark. Thinking it may be best to send it back, maybe get an alternative. Any ideas?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

NaDy posted:

Has anyone else had any experience with the Dell U2713hm monitors? I got one last week, and while 1440p is awesome there's quite a bit of light bleed. Just wondering if this much is normal?

It's a little off putting when the screen is dark. Thinking it may be best to send it back, maybe get an alternative. Any ideas?

That would be unacceptable to me for the price. Mine is probably a little worse but I also paid $300 new

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

VoodooChild posted:

That's definitely an interesting possibility that I wasn't aware of. I like having multiple screens so that I can watch TV shows while I'm gaming, so I'm currently pondering getting a Dell U2913WM as my main screen and pairing it with a Dell P2414H for TV/email/Twitter. The P2414H isn't quite as nice as the U2414Hs that I'm using now, but lacks the DisplayPort and EDID issues as far as I can tell.
I recently got a P2414H because I needed VGA and not 3000 HDMI and DP-ports, because gently caress DP that's why. Only difference between the U and P is the connectors on the back and that the U comes factory calibrated. Head over to TFT-central; they have ICC profiles for the P, effectively making buying an U completely worthless should you not need the mentioned ports.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

NaDy posted:

Move back a few feet and try taking a photo again. If it goes away, that's normal IPS glow.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zorilla posted:

Move back a few feet and try taking a photo again. If it goes away, that's normal IPS glow.

It definitely doesn't go away, I've watched a couple of films from my bed on the other side of the room and it's still there.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Now I realize I can't use my monitor as a tv, but is there a big drawback to using my 42" Samsung TV as a monitor, at least temporarily. I plan on gaming, so clarity is important obviously.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Apparition posted:

Now I realize I can't use my monitor as a tv, but is there a big drawback to using my 42" Samsung TV as a monitor, at least temporarily. I plan on gaming, so clarity is important obviously.

We use a 37" 1080p set at work for presentations, and it actually looks pretty great when configured properly, but here are some of the pitfalls you could run into when trying to use a TV as a monitor:

• Scan range. This could result in the picture getting cut off at the edges and cause text to blur since the picture is being scaled up slightly. Many of the Samsung TVs I've messed with have a setting in the OSD menu called "Just Scan" that will enable a 1:1 pixel ratio and will stop this.
  • 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 Chroma sub-sampling. This degrades text readability and overall color resolution. See if your TV has a "PC Mode", which may enable 4:4:4 sampling (and perhaps some other options to make it more usable as a monitor).
  • BT.709 color space being used instead of sRGB. In BT.709, values 0-15 and 236-255 are reserved for transient over/undershoots and synchronization, leaving you with just 16-235 for actual visible picture data. This could theoretically cause gamut clipping and/or gamma issues.
  • Latency. Since you'll be using this for games, don't be shocked if the TV has a response time of something like 30ms when you're used to monitors with 5ms. Setting the TV to "PC Mode" may or may not address this.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 6, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I own a 21:9 NEC.

If your computer is for multitasking work documents, you get more done with two monitors, full stop. If you're trying to balance space with multitasking, you need to determine what your budget and physical spaces are.

The 16:9 27"ers you're looking at will have more height and vertical pixels, which help with word processing and references side by side. You can do the same thing with a 21:9 monitor, but there's less vertical space; this can be a benefit if you have a space with limited headroom, like those bunk bed desks, but that's not a common situation.

My ideal monitor is a 21:9 with more vertical pixels, which are prohibitively expensive at the moment ($999). Failing that, as a student, I'd look more at two monitor setups, then large QHD displays, then 21:9 displays.

Don't forget, when using one screen for many things, to use your hotkeys.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would say a program like winsplit revolution would be mandatory for a 21:9 monitor.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Apparition posted:

Zorilla posted:

We use a 37" 1080p set at work for presentations, and it actually looks pretty great when configured properly, but here are some of the pitfalls you could run into when trying to use a TV as a monitor:

Related to this (because I think my current TV is slowly dying) - what IS a good current ~42" that's decent enough to use w/ a computer? There won't be any hard core gaming done outside of like, marvel heroes or other dumb sit-around-and-click-junk games. Mostly it's used to watch movies via HDMI from my PC. I haven't TV shopped in like 7 years so I don't know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Coredump posted:

I would say a program like winsplit revolution would be mandatory for a 21:9 monitor.

I've not found a window management software solution that didn't slow down my startup, but I haven't tried Winsplit. It seems a bit unnecessary, as 1080 vert pixels makes for a tight environment already -- I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze another screen on top of another.

Don't know if anyone covered this, but I saw this 25" 21:9 IPS at Fry's; the pixel density is drat near perfect, although a smaller 21:9 might feel cramped to some users. I thought it was great. If I didn't have my 29 inch one by now, I would have thought about picking this up today.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 6, 2014