Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
It's the middle Skeleton Lord that spawns the bonewheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Er, doesn't burning effigies work? I've only been invaded by NPCs, but I'm still in the early game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elysiume posted:

I've been invaded either 2 or 3 times in something like 40 hours. While a portion of that is me idling in already cleared zones to assist on bosses, that still leaves with me with at most 1 invasion every 10 hours. It's pretty pathetic.

From what I hear, the invasions really ramp up in frequency in NG+, especially if you have enough sin to get the attention of the Bluebros.

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Er, doesn't burning effigies work? I've only been invaded by NPCs, but I'm still in the early game.

It only works in the area that particular bonfire is connected to. So if you were trying to opt out of PvP altogether, you'd have to burn an effigy at every single bonfire you encounter.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Lori posted:

I killed all three at give-or-take the same exact time and the entire skeleton horde spawned and it was still a pretty easy fight

e: I also had no idea more dudes would spawn

I didn't like the idea of fireballs for my melee character so I just smashed everything.

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Yeah, this should work. Burn human effigies at a bonfire.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The mage spawns the bonewheels.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Are people actually playing right now? I'm trying to figure out if the server outage is region specific.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I have no idea. I didn't get invaded until NG+ on PS3, and I haven't been invaded at all on PC. I went to the Namco forums to see if there was anything on there about the servers being down, but I just saw thread after thread of people bellyaching about the CONSTANT INVASIONS INTO THEIR GAME.

It's as if they are saying that invasions should be removed entirely. SOmeone even suggested that you should be able to "opt out" of pvp.

You mean like burning an effigy at a bonfire? :rolleyes: The official forums must be absolutely insufferable.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Once again, the burning an effigy thing only works in the area of that individual bonfire, it does not cut off online interaction in the entire game world.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Are people actually playing right now? I'm trying to figure out if the server outage is region specific.

Still can't login to the PC servers in US West.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Red Crown posted:

It's been down for me in europe for hours now.

I mean, offline mode is fine while i get my second characters (glass cannon caster) up a few levels, but i was hoping for some SM 2.6m coop later. We'll see how that goes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Red Crown posted:

It's not region specific. The problem with logging in seems to be steam's community service making GBS threads itself.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Internet Kraken posted:

Having sunbrod that fight many times, I'll say this; Skeleton Lords go from trivial to impossible if you make the fatal mistake of killing the 3 lords first. That's probably your first intuition, since they are big and spooky, but they honestly aren't that dangerous. Killing each one spawns a bunch of skeletons though, and a dozen skeletons is a lot more dangerous than one big skeleton. If you run into that fight and murder the 3 lords right away, you're gonna get swarmed by all their minions and annihilated.

I did it that way and won. But that was also on the way to the last lord soul I needed, and the powerstanced falchion strong attack is a sweep that can hit a bunch of skellingtons at once. Git gud, etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How much better is than the regular one is great lightning spear? I'm trying to make up my mind if I want to respec out of something (probably end and adp, maybe atn) so I can use it. It's a dozen points out of my way, though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

How much better is than the regular one is great lightning spear? I'm trying to make up my mind if I want to respec out of something (probably end and adp, maybe atn) so I can use it. It's a dozen points out of my way, though.

I never got my fth high enough to try it, but if you want you can go to the merchant in Iron Keep and have him lower the stat requirement for the miracle.

Edit: Oh and skeptic's spice will help too.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 3, 2014

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Raygereio posted:

It's not region specific. The problem with logging in seems to be steam's community service making GBS threads itself.

:siren: I just logged in :siren:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So is this harder than DkS1? It feels like it is, I played the poo poo out of 1 and it seems like there are a lot more damage sponge enemies that you have to slog through everywhere. I also feel like I can't defeat the bosses solo. I guess it could be my build but *shrug*.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Gonna try to stream some of my Champion's dex/int run.

http://www.twitch.tv/horriblejerk

I'm bad at Dark Souls.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Elysiume posted:

I've been invaded either 2 or 3 times in something like 40 hours. While a portion of that is me idling in already cleared zones to assist on bosses, that still leaves with me with at most 1 invasion every 10 hours. It's pretty pathetic.

I don't think it matters if it's cleared. Someone wearing Havels invaded me in the Lost Basille way after I'd cleared it. It took me by surprise cause I was idling at McDuffs waiting for belltower summons. That was the only time I've been invaded in 60 hours across two characters, and I'm always in human form.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nechronic posted:

:siren: I just logged in :siren:

Same, things seem to be coming back up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Crackbone posted:

So is this harder than DkS1? It feels like it is, I played the poo poo out of 1 and it seems like there are a lot more damage sponge enemies that you have to slog through everywhere. I also feel like I can't defeat the bosses solo. I guess it could be my build but *shrug*.

What kind of build? I know when playing a caster some bosses were harder to solo without somebody else to distract them a bit.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Crackbone posted:

It can be. I find it to have a lot of peaks and lows, overall being a bit more difficult. Nothing that stumped me as badly as O&S though, since multiplayer works now.

Work on your character. Upgrading my weapon always helps a bunch. How difficult the game is and in particular where the game is difficult depends on your build.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Since I'm heading to NG+ I should probably kill the NPCs for their clothes as per usual but I always feel so bad about it. :(

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Wellllllllll I think it's been easier so far (I just finished not-Blight Town though, so early game), but I don't want to make that sound like I'm calling you a scrub or anything. What I've been doing with the bosses is using the white soapstones to help people quite a few times to get an idea of the boss's patterns, and if you win you get a free refill on your Estus flask and your weapons are repaired and you get a smooth/silky stone or the other thing depending upon the soapstone you use. It's not quite the same experience as solo since the boss will just be concentrating on you, so don't pick up any bad habits; always look at what the boss is concentrating on and how you can deal with that.

I got so many souls I don't know what to do with them, since I don't want to level. I had 100k souls by the first boss.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

Having sunbrod that fight many times, I'll say this; Skeleton Lords go from trivial to impossible if you make the fatal mistake of killing the 3 lords first. That's probably your first intuition, since they are big and spooky, but they honestly aren't that dangerous. Killing each one spawns a bunch of skeletons though, and a dozen skeletons is a lot more dangerous than one big skeleton. If you run into that fight and murder the 3 lords right away, you're gonna get swarmed by all their minions and annihilated.

If you leave one lord alive, preferably the one that spawns bonewheels, then the fight is easy. I still enjoy it though just because its silly fun. Smashing through an army of skeletons while awesome music plays is pretty enjoyable. The chariot is another boss I like for similar reasons, though I'm still disappointed that the wheels of the chariot aren't bonewheels.

VVVV You won't even get a chance to attack before being poked to death because every attacks stuns you.

Murdering 3 lords at once is perfectly cool if you're not in bizarro land where people ain't running around with 2-handers cleaving everything :colbert:.

Crackbone posted:

I feel its abit harder for various reasons, like upgrade stones being really limited early on. Where in DS1 you could get alot of the basic ones rather early. Going with a 1-hander/shield doesn't feel as good as in DS1. It maybe theres either a big dude which gets staggered easier with a 2-hander or mobs coming in packs where a 2-hander can cleave and stagger a bunch easily.

And yeah hybrid builds can be a bitch, going all magic swordsman with the CoC covenant was not the best of ideas:downs:.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 3, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Since I'm heading to NG+ I should probably kill the NPCs for their clothes as per usual but I always feel so bad about it. :(

You should, a lot of them will just give you their clothes if you talk to them.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Drakes posted:

Murdering 3 lords at once is perfectly cool if you're not in bizarro land where people ain't running around with 2-handers cleaving everything :colbert:.

I only learned through this thread that killing the lords spawned the skeles, as I just flailed a bastard sword through everything. :hf:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even with 999 fire res and a ton of life gems I still can't survive the run to the chaos storm chest :negative:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

You should, a lot of them will just give you their clothes if you talk to them.

Yeah, I suppose I'll just off the ones I need to. Which I guess is only the blood and sentinel covenant guys and the hex trainer.

Well that's okay, don't much care about those guys anyway. Although being invaded more as a sinner could be more interesting too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Even with 999 fire res and a ton of life gems I still can't survive the run to the chaos storm chest :negative:

Are you rolling through all the water urns that are up the ladder there before trying?

Also equip the cat ring and jump down from the walkways above, no need to run the whole way.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I suppose I'll just off the ones I need to. Which I guess is only the blood and sentinel covenant guys and the hex trainer.

Well that's okay, don't much care about those guys anyway. Although being invaded more as a sinner could be more interesting too.

Felkin? He'll give you his clothes too if your stats are right. Don't know why you'd want them unless you're a caster, the whole set is drat ugly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I really am confused about pyromancy and fire imbuement scaling. If I have 30 faith and 3 intelligence, how would pyro spells and fire imbuements help me? I keep getting conflicting reports of how this game handles fire damage and spells.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The server's coming back up has made things way better for multiplayer. Not much lag at all! And I just fought a dragon invader. We killed each other at the exact same time. VERY GOOD

e: I appear to no longer be able to use my red soap stone while a hollow. Reverting to human fixes it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Are you rolling through all the water urns that are up the ladder there before trying?

Also equip the cat ring and jump down from the walkways above, no need to run the whole way.

Only rolled through a couple. Cast flash sweat, magic barrier and an orange burr and my health still drops like a rock. And yes I jump off the side there.

Wildtortilla posted:

I really am confused about pyromancy and fire imbuement scaling. If I have 30 faith and 3 intelligence, how would pyro spells and fire imbuements help me? I keep getting conflicting reports of how this game handles fire damage and spells.

Fire scales off the average of your int and faith, so yours would scale like you have 16 in an unlisted fire stat. The good news is that the pyromancy flame has such a huge base power that between it and the minimum fire bonus you don't really get a huge bonus to pyro spells from raising your stats, only about 50% more at 99 int/faith vs the bare minimum.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 3, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dis astranagant posted:

Did you remember to douse yourself in water first? That's the bit that really makes the huge difference. There are a bunch of water urns on a small ledge accessible by a latter from the central ring around the flamethrowers.

e;fb, I guess you did. No idea what the problem is then.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just found a dragon sage hood that makes my head look like a large glass eyeball. Goodbye dong helm. :colbert:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Only rolled through a couple. Cast flash sweat, magic barrier and an orange burr and my health still drops like a rock. And yes I jump off the side there.

Some of these buffs break each other. I did it without the burr or barrier.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wildtortilla posted:

Magic scales with intelligence
Miracles scale with faith
Hexes scale with the minimum of intelligence and faith
Pyromancies scale with the average of intelligence and faith

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Felkin? He'll give you his clothes too if your stats are right. Don't know why you'd want them unless you're a caster, the whole set is drat ugly.

Now why would I play a medieval dress-up simulator if I didn't try and get as many outfits as possible?

Also I wouldn't know his name, I've always been too dumb for him to even talk to me. :v:

E:

dis astranagant posted:

Fire scales off the average of your int and faith, so yours would scale like you have 16 in an unlisted fire stat. The good news is that the pyromancy flame has such a huge base power that between it and the minimum fire bonus you don't really get a huge bonus to pyro spells from raising your stats, only about 50% more at 99 int/faith vs the bare minimum.

Just roll through urns and cast Flash Sweat and that should be enough, as mentioned some stuff overwrites earlier stuff. I know I managed it without barriers or burrs as well.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 3, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Wildtortilla posted:

Ok you have your magic/fire/light/dark BNS(bonus) stats, your elemental damage pretty much scales off those. And those stats scale off int/fth. So magic scales only with int, fire with int/fth, light with fth, and dark scales with lowest int/fth value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Noob Question - Should I be reinforcing my armor with titanite shards as well as my weapons? Currently only have done it to my weapons, while wearing the Drangelic armor I can take 2-3 hits, most bosses its 1-2.

Also, anyone know where to get some awesome medium/heavy armor that is better than the Drangelic set?