Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Duuk posted:

Ah, crapples.

The doors bit was intentional, it would just be too easy otherwise, wouldn't it. Go buy doors, then hide in sensor cupboard.

The battery I missed though.

It actually looks like an amusing challenge ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
Season Two Episode Two: "The Shameful Lover is True to Its Namesake" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAuAuLvqtQ

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for dropping my kidney you, jerks!

e; Carl's final words:

"Drunk driving is bad kids."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I live!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So this Rebel Stronghold sector has another flagship? Is it a weaker version?

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Mehuyael posted:

It’s a ‘still being built’ version. Kind of cool from a thematic standpoint.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

Yep, I think it may depend on when you encounter the Rebel Stronghold (could be wrong about this), but it typically has fewer shield bubbles, no overcharges, and only lasers and missiles (although I believe they are connected to the main body of the ship, which makes taking out missiles a little harder).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
On the other hand, it doesn't have an AI. Which means that unlike the real flagship battle, you can win the fight by murdering everyone.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Unless you get a windfall in the next sector its really not looking good for The Shameful Lover.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Protip - if you'd put 2 Zoltans in your shields, their Ion weapons can't actually bring your shields down on their own.

Edit: Venting medbay and not powering it! A pro skill run.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Corbeau posted:

On the other hand, it doesn't have an AI. Which means that unlike the real flagship battle, you can win the fight by murdering everyone.

It is a real pity that when you take over a ship by killing all crew members you can't actually take the ship. Because getting an early stronghold and then using the flagship to destroy their flagship would be a perfect fit of irony.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

Protip - if you'd put 2 Zoltans in your shields, their Ion weapons can't actually bring your shields down on their own.

I never knew that! Thanks for the tip, that is really cool. And yes, it seems that flying a space ship impaired is just as dangerous as driving is for all passengers involved. RIP my dad and Carl.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Huh. If I have level 3 cloaking, I'm usually willing to risk running into the fleet once or twice on my way out of a sector if it means completing a quest first, unless my engines are still rank 1-2. Just play defense and jump as soon as you can.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, here's a bio for my character. I want to see how horrible my death is.

Ever since space school, CO2 had a love/hate relationship with oxygen. He just loved the rush in his brain caused by hypoxia. The first time this happened to him was during low-oxygen training, a required course for anyone wanting to serve on a spaceship. Afterwards, he'd often sneak into the oxygen training room at night and he'd hack the computer to not just turn the system off, but actually put it in reverse. As the room filled with carbon dioxide, he'd lie down, imagining what's out there, beyond the rim of the solar system. He told his best friend about his nightly adventures, who quickly gave him the nickname 'CO2'.

However, one day the oxygen training fail-safe wouldn't trigger and CO2 found himself waking up in the school's clone room, with a terrible headache. The docs never tell you that while your clone is physically perfectly healthy, it takes months to recover from the mental trauma caused by your death. On top of that, CO2 almost got kicked out of space school for irresponsible behaviour. He got one last chance, decided to be more careful, and to stay far away from the addictiveness of hypoxia. He realizes that if the captain orders him to do work in a room with a hull breach, he has no choice to obey, but he's afraid that will make his old addiction kick in again...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Momplestiltskin posted:

I never knew that! Thanks for the tip, that is really cool. And yes, it seems that flying a space ship impaired is just as dangerous as driving is for all passengers involved. RIP my dad and Carl.

Zoltans are amazing; I always try and get a hold of Zoltan crew because the extra power they provide can't be affected by anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neruz posted:

Zoltans are amazing; I always try and get a hold of Zoltan crew because the extra power they provide can't be affected by anything.

A neat trick is that you can send Zoltans to the cloak room after you start cloaking, and send them back to their stations when cloaking expires. You free up 1 unit of power from the cooldown for every zoltan used, which can be a matter of life and death sometimes.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

I tried that yesterday and it didn't work. They might have fixed that in the AE-patch or it was because it was a stunner ion weapon.

my dad posted:

A neat trick is that you can send Zoltans to the cloak room after you start cloaking, and send them back to their stations when cloaking expires. You free up 1 unit of power from the cooldown for every zoltan used, which can be a matter of life and death sometimes.

I think it works on anything with a cool down.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today, I died at a store.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fire?

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Carbon dioxide posted:

okay, that seems... kinda off. how did you manage it? fire? boarders?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I was at my last health point, and as soon as I could jump, I did. To a store that was conveniently nearby. But I had a bunch of fires in my shield room, and before I could stop it, it took out the system, which causes a single point of hull damage.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, I was at my last health point, and as soon as I could jump, I did. To a store that was conveniently nearby. But I had a bunch of fires in my shield room, and before I could stop it, it took out the system, which causes a single point of hull damage.

Ouch, you should have paused and bought a point of hull first thing.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Carbon dioxide posted:

That should be an achievement. Because what the gently caress.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
There's a few events in captains edition that actually makes a store a fight :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So, I have discovered that Teleporters + Glaive Beam = Multiple dead Boarders when the enemy ships blows up after dealing 6-9 damage to it.

:sigh:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

berryjon posted:

So, I have discovered that Teleporters + Glaive Beam = Multiple dead Boarders when the enemy ships blows up after dealing 6-9 damage to it.

:sigh:

Clone bays are your friends. Who cares if it's 2 squares.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

I hear that. "Oh, my boarders are fighting their boarders (plus a guy I mind-controlled) in the weapons room. But they still have weapons going that I'd like to shut down...gently caress it, fire on the weapons room! Kill them all!"

I mean, ideally you don't do so much damage that the ship blows up, but the clone bay is really nice when playing a boarding strategy, because it's far more resilient to random fuckups/RNG screws than a medbay is. You just have to deal with your boarders sometimes going into fights with no health because the last fight almost killed them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You just have to deal with your boarders sometimes going into fights with no health because the last fight almost killed them.

Can't you solve that by just spacing their nearly-deceased body before you jump? For non-Lanius boarders, anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Can't you solve that by just spacing their nearly-deceased body before you jump? For non-Lanius boarders, anyway.

Ah yes, you can, just my last game was with Lanius boarders so I forgot :doh:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I lost dual Mantis boarders because I didn't think the ship would be able to jump away while I was tearing their pilot's guts out.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

With his last dying breath, he falls over and presses the FTL button with his cracked skull and cackles to the grave.

What I always find hilarious is when I'm on the flagship destroying their weapons and they mind control one of the boarders, who kills the other since the teleporter's cooldown hasn't ended and starts fixing the broken system.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

"Captain, they're killing us!"

Well two can play that game...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

HoneyBoy posted:

I lost dual Mantis boarders because I didn't think the ship would be able to jump away while I was tearing their pilot's guts out.

Losing boarders to the enemy Jumping is the worst.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I just got my first ever win after watching the last update, and thinks were going pretty similar for me. I was playing Stealth B and while I wasn't doing to bad, I ended up in Sector 5 with only my beam (though I didn't carelessly lose any crew members). I figured I was screwed, especially when the first store I limped to only had a single-shot Heavy Laser for sale.

I had at least two ships get away from me as I struggled through the sector, getting lucky every now and then with a 2 shield encounter or getting my shots to line up. A few hops from the end of the sector I found a store offering Flak II, and I had to sell pretty much everything including my Long Range Sensors in able to afford it.

It was worth it. Flak II + Glaive is a massively unfair combination, which got even more unfair when I picked up the Weapon Pre-Igniter half-way through sector 6. If my opening volley didn't cripple them, the second one would (and I could cloak until that second volley if I missed any of their nasty weapons).

The flagship itself ended up being a pushover with this combination. Being able to take out all of the shields in one shot is just such a huge help, and a very welcome change from my last few struggles to even do damage to the thing.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I just got my first ever win after watching the last update, and thinks were going pretty similar for me. I was playing Stealth B and while I wasn't doing to bad, I ended up in Sector 5 with only my beam (though I didn't carelessly lose any crew members). I figured I was screwed, especially when the first store I limped to only had a single-shot Heavy Laser for sale.

I had at least two ships get away from me as I struggled through the sector, getting lucky every now and then with a 2 shield encounter or getting my shots to line up. A few hops from the end of the sector I found a store offering Flak II, and I had to sell pretty much everything including my Long Range Sensors in able to afford it.

It was worth it. Flak II + Glaive is a massively unfair combination, which got even more unfair when I picked up the Weapon Pre-Igniter half-way through sector 6. If my opening volley didn't cripple them, the second one would (and I could cloak until that second volley if I missed any of their nasty weapons).

The flagship itself ended up being a pushover with this combination. Being able to take out all of the shields in one shot is just such a huge help, and a very welcome change from my last few struggles to even do damage to the thing.

The Flak II is so amazingly good, I don't think anything really compares to it. The only downside is that it takes a while to charge, but the thing only takes 3 energy and is a weapon arsenal unto itself. Flak II in the late game is as good as the dual laser in the early game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even Flak I is a pretty nice weapon and can carry you through quite a few sectors. I'm always happy to see one.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Even Flak I is a pretty nice weapon and can carry you through quite a few sectors. I'm always happy to see one.

It's only a little worse than the Burst Laser II, which is probably the best weapon in the game. Either one is almost always worth taking.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

The Flak I is very nice, and I would say quite preferable to a Flak II for almost the entire game due to its faster charge time which matches up better with most weapons. But 7 pieces of flak for 3 energy is ridiculous, and is so, so worth that charge time when you need to face a ship with good shields and good engines both, even if it is paired with a couple of Heavy Laser Mk 1s or something.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I just had probably the easiest run. I somehow lucked out and got Zoltan shields and a second Burst Laser 2. Eventually I found a Chain Laser so the boss fight ended up being volley after volley of laser fire, 8 at a time to chew through shields. Mind control the pilot to drop their evasion, hack the Cloaking, then the Drones and the missiles. Being totally impervious to mind control and boarding for the first two or so volleys was invaluable.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Update! Season Two, Episode Three: "In Vino Veritas" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkqnktSNIg8

e: voting is now open for the next ship

• Locked thread