Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's PPA and how do I install the drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Are you sure you actually telnetted in? Because that prompt is from the telnet program itself. (Hint: type "open")

(Apologies if you already know this)

Yes, I'm in the system. And I had even set up a reverse bind shell, like telnet -l /bin/sh 3333, and I can log on to my device with telnet but the shell doesn't open. I'm not sure what I need to do to get the /bin/sh to activate.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

the posted:

What's PPA and how do I install the drivers?

PPAs are ubuntu's mechanism for simplifying distribution of software from sources outside the main repositories (everything you get by default in the softwareware center). You don't necessarily need to worry about them unless you want to add something that's not in the standard distribution (pipelight for example like in Applebees's post).

You don't need to install any drivers since you're using intel, extra drivers are mainly a thing for people who are using nvidia or amd graphics cards.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

Yes, I'm in the system. And I had even set up a reverse bind shell, like telnet -l /bin/sh 3333, and I can log on to my device with telnet but the shell doesn't open. I'm not sure what I need to do to get the /bin/sh to activate.

Why do you assume you're "in the system"? What evidence do you have that this is occurring at all?

If you insist on using telnet (why can't you use SSH)? Use telnetd.

YouTuber posted:

Install your proprietary drivers. If you have then you're probably poo poo out of luck.
It's intel graphics. The drivers are open.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Does that mean they should already be updated on my laptop?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

It's intel graphics. The drivers are open.

Ah I don't know how I missed that portion. His comment on DOTA2 running slightly worse isn't just his comp only. Mine seems to run shittier since the latest patch, I ride at 20fps now when before I was running 60fps.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Is it possible to run the Transmission web app on a separate machine from the one with the daemon? My home server is behind my gateway and I don't want to expose it publicly, but I'd like to be able to check the status of torrents when I'm not at home.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

stray posted:

Is it possible to run the Transmission web app on a separate machine from the one with the daemon? My home server is behind my gateway and I don't want to expose it publicly, but I'd like to be able to check the status of torrents when I'm not at home.

You would have to expose something to the internet in some way to be able to get the information directly from your home network. If an attacker can get a shell on any box behind your firewall then they are going to have the opportunity to attack your server.

You could write a script to dump the status to an html or text document, and scp it to a host on the internet (sdf.org is good for this once you validate) and check the status there.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

stray posted:

There's only one port you need open, SSH 22. Through that you can forward your browser to you machine wherever you are. You can then limit ssh to one user, disable root login, then disable passwords and allow only ssh keys. Take your key with you wherever you go and use it to log into your machine by forwarding SSH through your router to that machine. So then you just SSH to your router with your key, run the web browser, check the torrents like you would normally locally.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

There's only one port you need open, SSH 22. Through that you can forward your browser to you machine wherever you are. You can then limit ssh to one user, disable root login, then disable passwords and allow only ssh keys. Take your key with you wherever you go and use it to log into your machine by forwarding SSH through your router to that machine. So then you just SSH to your router with your key, run the web browser, check the torrents like you would normally locally.

This is ridiculous. "Duh, just use your router as a SOCKS proxy or port forward".

Hello, I'm a web server. I can use rewrite rules to front Transmission and add authentication so random people can't see it. You can access me from any device, anywhere, any time.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Would be easier to have some kind of remote viewing app than set up a socks proxy every time.

I think I may have shared this before, but I am using nginx which you can secure with a password. Transmission was the easiest to get working as it didn't require reconfiguring or figuring out how to make it work behind the proxy.

https://gist.github.com/surrealchemist/9560955

Also, if you just forward the port to transmission via network you can just turn on its own username/password auth, which would be even simpler if you don't need any of the other stuff shared.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Can someone help me out here? It's been years since I've had to do something.
backstory:
My Android phone (Galaxy pocket somethingorother) sometimes has a habit of going apeshit on my 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card. As a result it has a healthy LOST.DIR
Thanks to the miracle of Linux and its magic numbers recovering things is pretty easy. But there are two things I want to do and can't remember how.

1: I grabbed all the photos and shoved them in their own directory. Now I just want to go through and rename all the pictures. Just a simple sequential nnnn.jpg would suffice, but I can't remember how the hell to do that any more.

2: Similar sort of situation but with my music. Except I know there's a Linux program that can rename music based off the metatags but I haven't used it since I demangled my music filenames years ago. Surely someone must use it. What is it?

Actually now I think of it there's a #3 too.

A few years back whatever the program I was using to import my photos from the cameras to the hard drive and arrange in directories by year / month / date changed and it no longer worked as it should. Made a godawful mess in the process too. I forget the specifics but some change was made and it started ignoring the configured directory layout.
What can I use to sort that mess out / start importing and sorting by date automatically again? Damned if I can remember what it was any more. Sorry. It was a few years and many distributions ago.

Oh holy poo poo there's a #4 too!

I'm using Lubuntu 13.10 AMD x64 currently. Upgrade manager keeps pestering me but it keeps failing because of some third party dependency. Really loving useful that. Whoever implemented the MacOS black box philosophy for the upgrade manager needs a kick in the genitals. Any other, preferably CLI way to do an upgrade these days? xUbuntu gives me a massive loving headache trying to upgrade it or even fresh installs. With both my previous nVidia graphics card and my current AMD cards it does its damndest to throw me into GPU crash / reset infinite loop hell with the open source drivers. Sometimes it can take me literally days to beat it into submission and get it sorted.
I miss Debian. But Ubuntu has more support for the packages I use and autodetects things better where I'd rather not be fiddling around. Hell, I miss Red Hat of the 90's too. But that's progress. To use Ubuntu's better PnP I have to pay the price of painful installation that fights me every step of the way (Did I mention I really miss RH and Debian's text and curses no BS installers?) and GPU hell ("gently caress you root! I know better than you, you filthy meatbag!").
To reiterate this question, Lubuntu is cockblocking upgrading to the latest LTS because of some third party packages. How do I find out what? Alternately how do I reinstall without having to endure the hellish battle to set it up against a repeatedly locking system because of the open source graphics drivers?
By the way my system is partitioned including /home so besides reinstalling packages it's no biggie besides the GPU thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think ubuntu still does the "alternate" install CD which is text based.

For your first question: I'd do something similar to this:

n=1 for file in $(ls); do mv $file $n.jpg && let n++; done

But this is REALLY quick n dirty so probably you want to make it a bit more sophisticated.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

General_Failure posted:

Can someone help me out here? It's been years since I've had to do something.
backstory:
My Android phone (Galaxy pocket somethingorother) sometimes has a habit of going apeshit on my 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card. As a result it has a healthy LOST.DIR
Thanks to the miracle of Linux and its magic numbers recovering things is pretty easy. But there are two things I want to do and can't remember how.

1: I grabbed all the photos and shoved them in their own directory. Now I just want to go through and rename all the pictures. Just a simple sequential nnnn.jpg would suffice, but I can't remember how the hell to do that any more.

2: Similar sort of situation but with my music. Except I know there's a Linux program that can rename music based off the metatags but I haven't used it since I demangled my music filenames years ago. Surely someone must use it. What is it?

code:
$ apt-cache search tag rename
arename - automatic audio file renaming tool
easytag - viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags
espctag - ID666 tags editor
evernote-mode - Emacs major mode for editing Evernote directly
exfalso - audio tag editor for GTK+
exiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
flactag - Tagger for whole-album FLAC files using data from MusicBrainz
id3ren - id3 tagger and renamer
ilohamail - Light weight yet full featured multilingual web-based IMAP/POP3 client
lltag - Automatic command-line mp3/ogg/flac file tagger and renamer
mp3rename - Rename mp3 files based on id3tags
mpgtx - toolbox to manipulate MPEG files (video, system, and audio)
pyrenamer - mass file renamer written in PyGTK
renrot - Rename and rotate files according to EXIF tags
tagtool - Tool to tag and rename MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files
thunar-media-tags-plugin - Media tags plugin for Thunar file manager
Alternatively use axi-cache if you want "ordered" results.
code:
axi-cache search tag rename --all
100% tagtool - Tool to tag and rename MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files
96% pyrenamer - mass file renamer written in PyGTK
95% renrot - Rename and rotate files according to EXIF tags
94% thunar-media-tags-plugin - Media tags plugin for Thunar file manager
86% lltag - Automatic command-line mp3/ogg/flac file tagger and renamer
84% id3ren - id3 tagger and renamer
81% espctag - ID666 tags editor
79% arename - automatic audio file renaming tool
77% entagged - Java Audio File Tagger
76% exfalso - audio tag editor for GTK+
76% easytag - viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags
71% tagtool:i386 - Tool to tag and rename MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files
69% puddletag - simple, powerful audio tag editor
67% evernote-mode - Emacs major mode for editing Evernote directly
66% flactag - Tagger for whole-album FLAC files using data from MusicBrainz
63% pytagsfs - maps media files to an arbitrary directory structure
62% juk - music jukebox / music player
60% mpgtx - toolbox to manipulate MPEG files (video, system, and audio)
56% phatch-doc - simple to use Photo Batch Processor - developer documentation
54% phatch-cli - simple to use Photo Batch Processor - command line interface
51% phatch - simple to use Photo Batch Processor - GUI
45% mp3diags - find issues in MP3 files and help to solve them
43% ilohamail - Light weight yet full featured multilingual web-based IMAP/POP3 client
41% exiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
36% jack - Rip and encode CDs with one command
34% amarok - easy to use media player based on the KDE Platform

General_Failure posted:

I'm using Lubuntu 13.10 AMD x64 currently. Upgrade manager keeps pestering me but it keeps failing because of some third party dependency. Really loving useful that. Whoever implemented the MacOS black box philosophy for the upgrade manager needs a kick in the genitals. Any other, preferably CLI way to do an upgrade these days? xUbuntu gives me a massive loving headache trying to upgrade it or even fresh installs. With both my previous nVidia graphics card and my current AMD cards it does its damndest to throw me into GPU crash / reset infinite loop hell with the open source drivers. Sometimes it can take me literally days to beat it into submission and get it sorted.
I miss Debian. But Ubuntu has more support for the packages I use and autodetects things better where I'd rather not be fiddling around. Hell, I miss Red Hat of the 90's too. But that's progress. To use Ubuntu's better PnP I have to pay the price of painful installation that fights me every step of the way (Did I mention I really miss RH and Debian's text and curses no BS installers?) and GPU hell ("gently caress you root! I know better than you, you filthy meatbag!").
To reiterate this question, Lubuntu is cockblocking upgrading to the latest LTS because of some third party packages. How do I find out what? Alternately how do I reinstall without having to endure the hellish battle to set it up against a repeatedly locking system because of the open source graphics drivers?
By the way my system is partitioned including /home so besides reinstalling packages it's no biggie besides the GPU thing.

Run apt-get update in a console and then disable the 3rd party source that's barfing. You can also do an upgrade via the cli in the same way you would upgrade a non gui install of ubuntu (google upgrading ubuntu server version).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

General_Failure posted:

I find puddletag (http://puddletag.sourceforge.net/) quite pleasant to use. It gives you a nice UI and you can simply define new (or make use of the standard) "actions", which allow you to do things like tag->filename, filename->tag etc automatically, alongside more complex options. It also has a track number assistant and you can generally tag things in bulk.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

:love: Kid3. I used to keep a Windows XP VM around to use Tag&Rename. Now I just use Kid3. It will pull in a bunch of KDE libs if you install it though.

General_Failure posted:

I'm using Lubuntu 13.10 AMD x64 currently. Upgrade manager keeps pestering me but it keeps failing because of some third party dependency. Really loving useful that. Whoever implemented the MacOS black box philosophy for the upgrade manager needs a kick in the genitals. Any other, preferably CLI way to do an upgrade these days?

sudo do-release-upgrade. Maybe include the -d flag if it says something like "no new release found".

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

spankmeister posted:

I think ubuntu still does the "alternate" install CD which is text based.

For your first question: I'd do something similar to this:

n=1 for file in $(ls); do mv $file $n.jpg && let n++; done

But this is REALLY quick n dirty so probably you want to make it a bit more sophisticated.

This will get you leading zeros at least:

ls (whatever you want here) | wc -l
ls (same thing here) | for n in `seq -w (result of previous ls)` ; do read f ; mv "$f" $n.jpg ; done

for example:
ls 0*.jpg | wc -l
(outputs 235)
ls 0*.jpg | for n in `seq -w 235` ; do read f ; mv "$f" $n.jpg ; done

of course if you want everything just do 'ls'. (and you could cram it all in one line if you really wanted, this is easier to read. or use perl. etc. :v:)
(ed: or if you want everything you could just do something like: n=1; for f in * ; nn=`printf "%04d.jpg" $n` ; mv "$f" $nn ; ((n++)) ; done) ((The %04 will give you 0001.jpg etc. I'd go with whichever of those made more sense to you. :)))

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 3, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

General_Failure posted:

beets is hands down the best music tagger/renamer I've ever used, on any platform. Just install it, do a beets config to set it up any way you like, then a beets import on the folder you want, and let it go to town.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

This will get you leading zeros at least:

ls (whatever you want here) | wc -l
ls (same thing here) | for n in `seq -w (result of previous ls)` ; do read f ; mv "$f" $n.jpg ; done

for example:
ls 0*.jpg | wc -l
(outputs 235)
ls 0*.jpg | for n in `seq -w 235` ; do read f ; mv "$f" $n.jpg ; done

of course if you want everything just do 'ls'. (and you could cram it all in one line if you really wanted, this is easier to read. or use perl. etc. :v:)
(ed: or if you want everything you could just do something like: n=1; for f in * ; nn=`printf "%04d.jpg" $n` ; mv "$f" $nn ; ((n++)) ; done) ((I'd go with whichever of those made more sense to you.))

Yeah I was going for that but I was posting from my phone in bed and :effort:

open container
Sep 16, 2008
I recently installed Mint XFCE 32 on my old crappy netbook (atom n270, 1gb ram) and the performance isn't terrible but leaves a bit to be desired. Will another distro give significantly better performance or is this pretty much as good as it gets?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

open container posted:

I recently installed Mint XFCE 32 on my old crappy netbook (atom n270, 1gb ram) and the performance isn't terrible but leaves a bit to be desired. Will another distro give significantly better performance or is this pretty much as good as it gets?

I haven't tried the 32-bit version, but I can say that the KDE spin of openSUSE 13.1 is noticeably faster than the 12.2 XFCE spin was on my AMD C-60 powered netbook. That said I am also using 64-bit, and have 4gb of RAM.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

open container posted:

Depends on what you were doing when you noticed the slowdown.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

open container posted:

If you can stand the minimalism of it, Crunchbang is a good netbook distro.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So I'm into buying a new laptop soon, and the recommendation thread is all Windowsy and stuff. I'm not averse to flattening something I get from Dell or whatever, as long as the hardware works, but what is the opinion of System76 or other Linux-specific shops? My current laptop situation is like Acer 3965G or something like that from Best Buy (vintage 2008) and a Eee 1000 from work, from maybe a year later. I hear nice things about SSDs. Usage would be mostly ssh, Eclipse, browser, and youtubes for old person parties.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FeloniousDrunk posted:

So I'm into buying a new laptop soon, and the recommendation thread is all Windowsy and stuff. I'm not averse to flattening something I get from Dell or whatever, as long as the hardware works, but what is the opinion of System76 or other Linux-specific shops? My current laptop situation is like Acer 3965G or something like that from Best Buy (vintage 2008) and a Eee 1000 from work, from maybe a year later. I hear nice things about SSDs. Usage would be mostly ssh, Eclipse, browser, and youtubes for old person parties.

Just get a thinkpad.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

Just get a thinkpad.

Agreed. Thinkpads are well built and generally well supported under Linux.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop

System76 seems to have a history of build quality issues.

I have an Acer S7, which I'm happy with except for the bullshit keyboard layout decisions. Was a bit of a bitch to get Arch onto, but that's pretty much always been the case with new laptops. Lovely screen, albeit at the cost of most websites being designed for screens with much lower PPI.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

scroogle nmaps posted:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop

System76 seems to have a history of build quality issues.

I have an Acer S7, which I'm happy with except for the bullshit keyboard layout decisions. Was a bit of a bitch to get Arch onto, but that's pretty much always been the case with new laptops. Lovely screen, albeit at the cost of most websites being designed for screens with much lower PPI.

Oh god, this Acer I have now (5920 it turns out, now that I flip it over and read the sticker) has the most annoying media touchpad thing on the right hand edge of the keyboard, it presents as a touchpad. I covered it with duct tape because in linux it registers every touch as "page down", and of course you nudge it all the time as you type. But I imagine Acers are pretty variable, I can keep an open mind, after all I've had this thing heating my lap since 2008. Do they still have this feature?

That Dell link looks pretty unconfigurable, but Dell does what it does I guess. So, regarding Thinkpads: X or T? Let's say money is not an object. I am still curious about the SSD thing. I also have not been shopping for about five years, so things will be weird and bewildering to me.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
From what I know:

T-series = Power workstation
X-series = Portable workstation

So if you want the most under the hood, I'd go for a T-series. If you want a more portable workstation, I'd go with X-series. They're both great.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

There's usually an option to disable touchpad while typing in the settings, in case you wanted an alternative to the duct tape.

With a thinkpad, how do you avoid the bullshit wifi adapter whitelist? link Does it only apply to certain models?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Prince John posted:

There's usually an option to disable touchpad while typing in the settings, in case you wanted an alternative to the duct tape.

With a thinkpad, how do you avoid the bullshit wifi adapter whitelist? link Does it only apply to certain models?

You get a thinkpad with Intel wireless, and are happy that it works flawlessly

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm having some trouble setting up permissions for an external hard drive. I'm running Debian and when I plug it in it mounts to the /media/ folder, and if I am using the default "debian" user I can browse to it fine. But when I am logged in under my main account it says "permission denied" when I try to browse to it. I tried setting the permissions to allow my account to access it using "sudo chmod -R 0777 /media/TOSHIBA\ EXT" but that didn't fix it. When I type "ls -l" the permissions look like drwx------ and don't change after using chmod. When I type "df -T" it looks like the folder is mounted as type "fuseblk" which I understand to mean ntfs, not sure if that is correct though.

I'll include the terminal output of what I tried so far:
code:
login as: sam
Debian GNU/Linux 7

BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-04-23

Support/FAQ: [url]http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian[/url]
sam@192.168.0.28's password:
Access denied
sam@192.168.0.28's password:
Last login: Sun May  4 15:07:44 2014 from sam-pc
sam@beaglebone:~$ cd /media
sam@beaglebone:/media$ ls
TOSHIBA EXT
sam@beaglebone:/media$ cd TOSHIBA\ EXT/
-bash: cd: TOSHIBA EXT/: Permission denied
sam@beaglebone:/media$ ls -l
total 4
drwx------ 1 debian debian 4096 May  2 01:48 TOSHIBA EXT
sam@beaglebone:/media$ sudo chmod -R 0777 /media/TOSHIBA\ EXT/
[sudo] password for sam:
sam@beaglebone:/media$ cd TOSHIBA\ EXT/
-bash: cd: TOSHIBA EXT/: Permission denied
sam@beaglebone:/media$ ls -l
total 4
drwx------ 1 debian debian 4096 May  2 01:48 TOSHIBA EXT
sam@beaglebone:/media$ su - debian
Password:
debian@beaglebone:~$ cd /media/TOSHIBA\ EXT/
debian@beaglebone:/media/TOSHIBA EXT$ df -T
Filesystem                                             Type     1K-blocks     Used Available    Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                 rootfs     1715936  1549812     77292    96% /
udev                                                   devtmpfs     10240                                               0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs       101804  676         101128    1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/87d52689-c5b1-42db-9e58-0f64e6c47871 ext4       1715936  1549812     77292    96% /
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs       254508   0          254508   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs       254508   0          254508   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs       102400   0          102400   0% /run/user
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs         5120                                               0      5120   0% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1                                         vfat         98094    733                                       34     24760  75% /boot/uboot
/dev/sda1                                              fuseblk  976759804   55716972   921042832   6% /media/TOSHIBA EXT
debian@beaglebone:/media/TOSHIBA EXT$

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 4, 2014

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
NTFS uses FUSE and by default it only allows access by the user that mounted it. What is the contents of /etc/fuse.conf? There should be user_allow_other that you need to uncomment.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Just put crunchbang on my netbook, can't recommend it enough for these pathetic weaklings. Mint XFCE would spike the CPU and swap like crazy if you even thought about multitasking and crunchbang is handling things much, much better. Minimal to a fault (how do I run the program I just installed? :confused:) but worth the learning curve.

babies havin rabies posted:

If you can stand the minimalism of it, Crunchbang is a good netbook distro.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at a bunch of lists of good distros for netbooks and none really emphasized the performance differences, which is kind of a big deal if you ever want to open more than 3 tabs.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm running Subsonic media server on an Openelc HTPC. Openelec is a minimal Linux installation with no package manager. In order for Subsonic to scan file paths with accented characters, I added the following lines to a startup script:

code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Problem is, it doesn't have the en_US.UTF-8 locale:

code:
OpenELEC:~ # locale -a
C
POSIX
This link suggests that the only solution is to do a custom build of the OS. But that sounds difficult. So... is there a way to manually download a new locale into the OS? Alternatively, does anyone know of a bash script that can convert all paths to POSIX characters only? I can run it from Ubuntu over sshfs or something if need be.

Edit: Another recommendation was to add -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 to the Java call that starts the server. Not sure how these two solutions relate.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 5, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm running Subsonic media server on an Openelc HTPC. Openelec is a minimal Linux installation with no package manager. In order for Subsonic to scan file paths with accented characters, I added the following lines to a startup script:

code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Problem is, it doesn't have the en_US.UTF-8 locale:

code:
OpenELEC:~ # locale -a
C
POSIX
This link suggests that the only solution is to do a custom build of the OS. But that sounds difficult. So... is there a way to manually download a new locale into the OS? Alternatively, does anyone know of a bash script that can convert all paths to POSIX characters only? I can run it from Ubuntu over sshfs or something if need be.

Edit: Another recommendation was to add -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 to the Java call that starts the server. Not sure how these two solutions relate.

No locale-gen?

You can write a script which'll convert pretty trivially in Python or Go, I can post examples tomorrow if you want.

Both the java option and LC_ say "characters are this many bytes, here's the encoding table, here's the order to sort by (which is actually part of the encoding table, but eh)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No locale-gen. And duh, I didn't think of using Python. I could probably figure it out myself with a few pointers--I've never worked with Unicode before but I'm comfortable in Python. Is there a dictionary mapping unicode characters to ascii characters beyond the first 128? ö --> o for example. Of course there will be tons of characters without an obvious mapping but I can have it just delete those characters.

E: Found this with some creative googling. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Unidecode/0.04.1

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 5, 2014

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

open container posted:

Just put crunchbang on my netbook, can't recommend it enough for these pathetic weaklings. Mint XFCE would spike the CPU and swap like crazy if you even thought about multitasking and crunchbang is handling things much, much better. Minimal to a fault (how do I run the program I just installed? :confused:) but worth the learning curve.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at a bunch of lists of good distros for netbooks and none really emphasized the performance differences, which is kind of a big deal if you ever want to open more than 3 tabs.

Apparently you can just bring the Debian menu into Openbox by adding one line. I have not yet tried it, however. This was previously one of my biggest complaints about the distro and one of the reasons I switched my laptop to plain jane Debian after a few months, should have just done my research first :v:.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/configuring_the_openbox_menu (search 'debian')

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm having some trouble setting up permissions for an external hard drive. I'm running Debian and when I plug it in it mounts to the /media/ folder, and if I am using the default "debian" user I can browse to it fine. But when I am logged in under my main account it says "permission denied" when I try to browse to it. I tried setting the permissions to allow my account to access it using "sudo chmod -R 0777 /media/TOSHIBA\ EXT" but that didn't fix it. When I type "ls -l" the permissions look like drwx------ and don't change after using chmod. When I type "df -T" it looks like the folder is mounted as type "fuseblk" which I understand to mean ntfs, not sure if that is correct though.

Removable devices are by default associated with whoever is logged in locally, so if you're running as "debian", mount an external HDD and then switch users, only the "debian" user will have access to it unless explicitly configured otherwise. But if you unmount the external HDD as "debian", login as your main account and then mount the HDD, does the problem happen too?

"fuseblk" means a filesystem controlled by a FUSE userspace filesystem driver, so it might be anything at all. But in this case, it's probably either NTFS or exFAT.

ExFAT, like VFAT, does not have any way to store Unix-style file permissions, so the only way to specify permissions is to use mount options. With them, you can say "I want all the files have permissions xxx and directories to have permissions yyy. Everything on this filesystem should be owned by username X and group Y." and not much else. When you mount an external VFAT media using the GUI tools or the "pmount" command, the system automatically sets these mount options to match whoever is currently logged in locally. If you want something different to happen, you should type up a line in /etc/fstab identifying the filesystem you wish to mount and the options you want for it.

NTFS has file permissions, but they are not specified with Unix-style simple UID/GID numbers, but using Windows security IDs like "S-1-5-21-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1000". As a result, some kind of mapping between Windows security IDs and Linux usernames must be established before NTFS permissions can be useful in Linux.

If you need to use this external HDD with a Windows system, use the Windows system to create or copy a file to the disk. The contents of the file do not matter: the idea is to identify your Windows security ID on that system and tell Linux to use the same security ID when you're using your main account.

Once the external HDD contains at least one file that's been created or copied to it using your favorite Windows user account, you can then read "man ntfs-3g.usermap". It is a tool that can search the security IDs on a NTFS filesystem, ignore the standard ones like "Administrators" or "All Users", and ask you to match the significant ones with appropriate Linux user/group names. Once you've done that, it produces an UserMapping file.

Once you have the UserMapping file, you should mount the NTFS filesystem, create a directory named ".NTFS-3G" (exactly like that) at the top directory of the NTFS filesystem, and place the created UserMapping file into it. Now, after you unmount & remount the filesystem, the NTFS-3G driver can provide meaningful usernames and permissions on the NTFS filesystem. This will also be helpful on the Windows side of things: since Linux can now write files with known security IDs, you won't have to "Take Ownership" or mess with file security settings before using the Linux-created files on Windows.

If this external HDD is only used with Linux system(s), then you might consider mkfs'ing (Windows users would call that "formatting") the external HDD to some Linux/Unix-style filesystem to make it behave just like native Linux filesystems do. Just remember that running any "mkfs.*" command on an existing filesystem will destroy all existing data on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

open container posted:

Man, has XFCE gotten that resource-intensive?

I remember running it as my main DE for a while when I first got into Linux, and that was on an ancient Pentium II + Voodoo3 in 2006. My phone from 3 years ago, a then fairly-old HTC Incredible, was around 3x more powerful than it.

And now I use my most powerful computer, a top of the line i7 Haswell laptop, to run loving i3wm.