Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Install Windows posted:

If you don't want to use it just buy a shitload more normal guns now. :smugdog:
Man, what problems WON'T buying a shitload more product solve? It's amazing! I love buying products.

Meanwhile, in hypocrisy news: http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/gop-candidate-was-once-a-female-impersonator/article_a1029862-5a82-5752-90e4-eac7155bce1e.html

quote:

Steve Wiles, a Republican state Senate candidate who supports North Carolina’s constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage, once worked as a female impersonator at a gay nightclub in Winston-Salem and was gay at the time, according to a co-owner of the nightclub and a former employee.

Wiles, 34, was in his early 20s when he worked at the now-defunct nightclub, Club Odyssey, according to co-owner Randy Duggins and former employee Gray Tomlinson.
I suppose ethically this isn't a very positive thing to do, but my own moral compass puts this in the 'condemnation of hypocrisy' camp, rather than the "lol, lbgt person!!" camp - and besides which, surely Jesus has forgiven him. Surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Install Windows posted:

If you don't want to use it just buy a shitload more normal guns now. :smugdog:

These are gun people we're talking about. You don't even need an excuse to get the panic buying started.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

SedanChair posted:

The magna-trigger solved this problem years ago, nobody wanted them or cared. This is purely an attempt to make the technology available as a stalking horse for requiring it.

Yeah, ignoring the fact that it was specifically made for law enforcement and even then for two specific gun frames, the fact that they weren't wanted then means that any type of smart-gun tech, or any other type of gun safety measure, is worthless.

I know it's been asked a million loving times but why do "responsible" gun owners fight so heavily against poo poo that requires them to be responsible. Oh, right. They don't want to loving be responsible. Look at how long it took for some loving wacko to start waving his gun around in Georgia.

The government isn't coming to take my or your guns. There's no loving reason guns can't be registered or personalized. If you lose your credit card, you report it stolen. If you're responsible, you shouldn't give a poo poo if you can be tracked back to the gun because if someone takes it, you'll be involved enough to loving call law enforcement like you loving should regardless of whether it's the law or not.

It's called responsibility and any loving time some 2A dipshit decides to rail against registries and smart-guns or any sort of mandatory reporting laws, the true colors of the "my 'freedom' over the safety of the society" flag flies high and should be an immediate loving reason to take your goddamn guns away.

If my neighbor has a gun stolen, I sure as poo poo want them to report it missing. I'm glad I live in a mandatory reporting state. I don't loving understand why something like that is so loving controversial. gently caress.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm a gun owner who wants this dumb nerd feature for my dumb nerd guns and I don't give a gently caress that that would mean in the year 2100 it might be harder to use one of the 200 million existing guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Robviously posted:

It's called responsibility and any loving time some 2A dipshit decides to rail against registries and smart-guns or any sort of mandatory reporting laws, the true colors of the "my 'freedom' over the safety of the society" flag flies high and should be an immediate loving reason to take your goddamn guns away.

You can't, though. So figure out something else to do.

e: VVV thanks, the response in the thread has proven it accurate

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

The magna-trigger solved this problem years ago, nobody wanted them or cared. This is purely an attempt to make the technology available as a stalking horse for requiring it.

Yeah it is totally 30 dimension chess to take away your guns, and not a case of a new business trying to break into the market and paranoid idiots threatening to kill them. Good read of the situation

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have zero interest in ever keeping a gun in my house but it would be kind of cool in a supervillain sort of way to have this gun that fires only for meeee! :devil:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah it is totally 30 dimension chess to take away your guns, and not a case of a new business trying to break into the market and paranoid idiots threatening to kill them. Good read of the situation

He might have had a point, if this company was located in New Jersey AND exclusively funded by the NJ government and every other state in the country was itching to sign agreeing laws once it took effect in NJ.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Yep! We can't. So stop cock-blocking reasonable laws.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Robviously posted:

Why?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

SedanChair posted:

e: VVV thanks, the response in the thread has proven it accurate

You are threatening to murder people because they are selling a brand you don't like. How on earth do you think you sound like a reasonable person here? Do you threaten to kill Apple users because you like Android? Unlike your paranoid delusions Apple actively cooperates with the government to suppress your rights.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

You are threatening to murder people because they are selling a brand you don't like. How on earth do you think you sound like a reasonable person here? Do you threaten to kill Apple users because you like Android? Unlike your paranoid delusions Apple actively cooperates with the government to suppress your rights.

Well I'm not, some idiots who called in to that dealer are. I think it's appropriate to express strong disapproval of any desire to stock the gun though. Some of those fellows obviously got carried away.

A more accurate comparison would be boycotting (hopefully with a minimum of death threats) the iPhone because of Apple's collusion with the NSA. Obviously that's much more of a done deal whereas this is not, so all the more reason to nip it in the bud.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Robviously posted:

Are death threats a felony or misdemeanor? Because if it is the former, felons don't get guns

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Because no matter what some people might want to think, we don't loving live in Thunderdome?

Fried Chicken posted:

Pretty much this. When your movement is making soccer hooligans look rational, maybe it's time to take a moment to reflect.

Edit:

Fried Chicken posted:

Are death threats a felony or misdemeanor? Because if it is the former, felons don't get guns

Class 1 Misdemeanor, iirc.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Well I'm not, some idiots who called in to that dealer are. I think it's appropriate to express strong disapproval of any desire to stock the gun though. Some of those fellows obviously got carried away.

And until here you were expressing strong approval for them, so let's not pretend there is a lick of difference. Way to dodge my point though - what part of your "death to entrepreneurs" theory makes the slightest bit of logical sense? The state mandated that as soon as smart phone technology became available, they all be able to dial 911 without being unlocked. This pushed non "bright" phones off the market. Was this some hugely convoluted plan to chill freedom of speech?

And why the gently caress is it you think the reasonable response is to issue death threats, chase this company off the market, and suppress the technology rather than change the law?

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
In the best case scenario, a gun is supposed to be used in defense of ones home. In a close quarters situation, why the gently caress wouldn't you want a gun that can't be turned against you?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You're supposed to shoot people instead of letting them take your gun. :eng101:

Robviously posted:

Because no matter what some people might want to think, we don't loving live in Thunderdome?

Is Thunderdome the only place where guns are supposed to fire when you pick them up and pull the trigger?

Fried Chicken posted:

And why the gently caress is it you think the reasonable response is to issue death threats, chase this company off the market, and suppress the technology rather than change the law?

I never said the death threats were reasonable, although I imagine that the dealer made them up to get sympathy from liberals.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Don't ban any gun, if you think of banning a gun you are quisling.

Unless it's a gun that has the mark of the beast, better ban the poo poo out of those.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Is Thunderdome the only place where guns are supposed to fire when you pick them up and pull the trigger?

I never said the death threats were reasonable, although I imagine that the dealer made them up to get sympathy from liberals.

Again, tell me why a home invader should be able to use my gun.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pong Daddy posted:

You tell me, why did you let him get at it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't know if y'all know but guns need no maintenance. They're self-cleaning and the only thing that could possibly be keeping them from firing is a dead watch battery.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

Yes, in an America where heavily armed lunatics rally to the cause of a racist freeloading rancher and threaten armed insurrection and murder of federal employees, and where psychos record themselves slowly executing teenage break-ins, how truly unbelievable it is to presume other unhinged nuts would threaten to kill a gun-tech developer because of UN AGENDA 21 paranoia.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SedanChair posted:

The fact that most burglaries happen while the victim isn't at home?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Don't ban any gun, if you think of banning a gun you are quisling.

Unless it's a gun that has the mark of the beast, better ban the poo poo out of those.

Well you see keeping assault weapons from being sold is bad because it's just a cosmetic feature, but keeping smart cosmetic features from being sold is good because of FREEDDOOM.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Maybe because we don't live on a shooting range where any possible threat is 100 yards away?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Pong Daddy posted:

You're probably just making up that the invader has your gun to gain sympathy from liberals. :jerkbag:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

I thought we were talking about home invasion, not burglary.

Pong Daddy posted:

Maybe because we don't live on a shooting range where any possible threat is 100 yards away?

What do you mean? Why would you be at a disadvantage in close quarters if you have a gun and he doesn't?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

Well, maybe you should've taken responsibility for that and started working from home.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A safety feature that would prevent accidents if children managed to get a hold of your gun, which is a good reason to want to be able to purchase that kind of device: Ban This Fucker Now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I thought we were talking about home invasion, not burglary.

It seems that if you accept the possibility of someone breaking into your home while you're inside, you have to accept the possibility of the intruder reaching the weapon first, even if it's for a reason as mundane as opening the door after getting home from work and OH poo poo SOMEONE'S INSIDE.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

A safety feature that would prevent accidents if children managed to get a hold of your gun, which is a good reason to want to be able to purchase that kind of device: Ban This Fucker Now.

B-b-but there's a vague law with really really loose and easily appealable trigger terms (ha) that might mean a state with among the lowest gun ownership rates could in the future require the feature! Therefore, no one must ever own it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems that if you accept the possibility of someone breaking into your home while you're inside, you have to accept the possibility of the intruder reaching the weapon first, even if it's for a reason as mundane as opening the door after getting home from work and OH poo poo SOMEONE'S INSIDE.

Yeah that's what safes are for. I suppose there are violent master safecracker thugs who carefully open your safe, then lie in wait for you with your own guns instead of taking and selling them. Wait, that's stupid.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I figure the death threats were a false flag from Obama so he can come for your guns :tinfoil:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Yeah that's what safes are for. I suppose there are violent master safecracker thugs who carefully open your safe, then lie in wait for you with your own guns instead of taking and selling them. Wait, that's stupid.

Yeah, if only it was illegal to not store your gun in a safe... Oh wait, of course it's not.

Oh, and just forget about actually having standards for locking devices. We can't have the government meddling in that either.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Robviously posted:

Yeah, if only it was illegal to not store your gun in a safe... Oh wait, of course it's not.

Oh, and just forget about actually having standards for locking devices. We can't have the government meddling in that either.

No, we can't because those are infringements on the exercise of our political rights. The choice to use them should remain a choice.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

beatlegs posted:

Don't forget, 9/11 was instrumental in turning people to the dumb side. To this day I don't get why it made so many people lose their common sense. I always thought Americans were made of stronger stuff, but... I guess not.

Is this even true? Reading personal experiences from New York on 9/12/2001, they're more often expectably crushed but accept that this was chickens coming home to roost re: our big stick foreign policy, rather that angry and out for revenge.

Being devastated and allowing political leaders to get away with their totalitarian power grabs is a completely different story than blind fat American rage. Of course, maybe the more prolific Americans are less prone to mindless vengeful xenophobia, which would mean I'm just reading too small a sample set to know what was going on back then.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Cause getting disarmed in CQC is just impossible.

You're being unrelentingly lovely. Do you think the US government is going to start confiscating "stupid" guns or not? If you do, you're impressively paranoid, if you don't then you have no leg to stand on.

Also you're ignoring the major downside to a safe for home defense - if someone is in your house, you have to get to and open your safe without them noticing. A smart gun completely circumvents this. It's literally better than a dumb gun in a safe for home defense.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

SedanChair posted:

No, we can't because those are infringements on the exercise of our political rights. The choice to use them should remain a choice.

Unless the device is electronic, in which case we have to make sure you can't buy them in the US, or else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

You are infringing on my political right to own smart guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Install Windows posted:

You are infringing on my political right to own smart guns.
They're a slippery slope, so a firm hand must be exercised - in order to maintain your freedom, your freedom must be restrained. It's for the best for the gun dealers, really; if they weren't threatened with death and the collapse of their business, they might stock these products, and then their businesses would collapse and people would threaten their lives!

• Locked thread