Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

For the rest of us*, there's always this :

*myself, STR, and CSB excluded

This glorious thing reminds me I need to get a photo of my glorious couch and post it on here. I'm very pleased with how my home theater room is going.

My wife and I didn't measure the couch and our room before we ordered it, and it was MUCH bigger than we thought. It comfortably seats 7-8. 3-4 can sleep on it stretched out. It's ridiculous.

Off to a photo shoot this afternoon. My first engagement shoot of the year..I'm looking forward to it because I haven't photographed much lately and the weather is perfect.

Here's a question for everyone -- what is the best gift for a new father? A very close friend of mine is having a son on Thursday. I've known him and his wife for almost 15 years, and I was actually the one who got them to meet. They're the first of all my friends to start popping out babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

excuse me sir but that drawer is not properly aligned and you have 51 tongue depressers that is an odd amount (sniggers to self)

Once again the village idiot gets it. :3:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

cursedshitbox posted:

Once again the village idiot gets it. :3:

shameless self promotion?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

Here's a question for everyone -- what is the best gift for a new father? A very close friend of mine is having a son on Thursday. I've known him and his wife for almost 15 years, and I was actually the one who got them to meet. They're the first of all my friends to start popping out babies.

Booze. All the booze.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Snowdens Secret posted:

What are OCD charts like, anyway

Like do the doctors show the patients the charts and then get a fusilade of abuse about how the axes are wrong and the precision is all off

All the bars are slightly skewed to one side or the other. With no pattern. Some of them are a few points offset from the bottom of the chart.

(This coming from someone who will align two tables at a restaurant perfectly... unless a more OCD friend is along. Then I misalign them slightly to gently caress with them. :ninja:)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

God drat, viggen, I'm not going to post any more in that top gear circle jerk, but you are baiting!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

God drat, viggen, I'm not going to post any more in that top gear circle jerk, but you are baiting!

Go for it. Its just loving AI, not like its anything important. Like, you know, something your parole officer has direct access to.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

angryhampster posted:

I was actually the one who got them to meet.

Make yourself scarce. You've been enough "help" already.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God drat this is mesmerizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ9E1s1FuQ

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The border also gives you the exciting opportunity to be interrogated by various border guards as to your nefarious activities. We also watched a guy in front of us in line pick up a discarded box of beer from the side of the road and put it inside his car before driving up to the border terminal, which made the border guards freak the gently caress out and search him with dogs.

MrChips posted:

Wow that is pretty stupid. I guess that guy really wanted to be waterboarded with maple syrup (which I'm pretty sure is what CBSA will do to you if you're bad).

You guys think there are enough southern Alberta nerds like us to chip in and just outright buy some shithole with a garage in Sweetgrass?

I can't imagine it would be expensive.

e: then we could just buy parts, get them shipped there, put them on our heaps, and drive back.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 3, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Go for it. Its just loving AI, not like its anything important. Like, you know, something your parole officer has direct access to.

It's more of a principle thing. I said I wasn't going to engage in the D&D circlejerk bullshit, and I'm not. But you are carrying the flag, my friend. And my parole officer is so chill, I needn't be concerned.

Would it be as mesmerizing if it were titled "It costs HOW MUCH to fix my Passat????"

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

And my parole officer is so chill, I needn't be concerned.

Can you help me find my belt then? My pants are too loving large now.

---

E: Holy poo poo its a new title again. A furry AND a SAAB. IN MOTHERFUCKING EUROPE. How the gently caress do you search google for that?

I want a hatch, really. I miss the one I briefly had. They stopped making them in 2002. :(

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 3, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Can you help me find my belt then? My pants are too loving large now.

---

E: Holy poo poo its a new title again. A furry AND a SAAB. How the gently caress do you search google for that?

I want a hatch, really. I miss the one I briefly had. They stopped making them in 2002. :(

:golfclap:

Gonna GIS that image. You're supporting the forum today.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

You're supporting the forum today.

I guess so. Evidently being flippant pisses off the unwashed masses of whitefolks who weren't smart enough to leave the land of the oppressed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

I actually understand how marginal tax rates work so I know this isn't actually true!

Some dude at work did a really advanced looking excel sheet that he printed out and put on notice boards all over that showed exactly how much overtime you could work before you started losing money...

loving marginal tax, how does it work?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
i like this custom title i think i may keep it

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Some dude at work did a really advanced looking excel sheet that he printed out and put on notice boards all over that showed exactly how much overtime you could work before you started losing money...

Did he do that while getting paid to do so? :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

I guess so. Evidently being flippant pisses off the unwashed masses of whitefolks who weren't smart enough to leave the land of the oppressed.

So, I'll just put this out here, with your use of the uncomfortable word in another thread:

What do you think of when you hear "tweet?" Something from twitter. Only 8 years ago, that definition was laughable and strange. Peep this:

Go with a large batch of what we used to call "drink coasters." Label them with a big "N." Get a lot of bars to start using them and instead of calling them "coasters," call them "niggers." friend of the family coasters. A brand. Get bars to buy in, "get that drink on a friend of the family." "Don't mess up my table, put a friend of the family down." Etc.

The word was used to a particular effect. If you make a word so powerful that some people cannot utter it, it becomes oppressively powerful. Instead, devalue it. Change the collective consciousness' view of the word. Face it, slavery was over more than 150 years ago. MANY generations before people living now ever faced it directly, regardless of race. If we devalue the word, instead of giving it tremendous power, THAT is the best way to foster equality.

That's meatpimp's idea for the day.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm taking it back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0R3OjMcOqg

Slavvy posted:

I think that idea would work a lot better if you could convince black people to do it first. Or, alternatively, it would work a lot better if people were completely rational and capable of thinking in a way that isn't instinctive, mindless reactionism, and you had the time to explain the concept to every single person on earth in an in-depth manner with a Q&A session and flowcharts.

But they can't, and you can't.

was this ironically intentional or not because i'm on the fence here its kind of hard to tell in AI sometimes it seems like it is intentional but slavvy and all..

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 3, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think that idea would work a lot better if you could convince black people to do it first. Or, alternatively, it would work a lot better if people were completely rational and capable of thinking in a way that isn't instinctive, mindless reactionism, and you had the time to explain the concept to every single person on earth in an in-depth manner with a Q&A session and flowcharts.

But they can't, and you can't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

If you make a word so powerful that some people cannot utter it, it becomes oppressively powerful. Instead, devalue it. Change the collective consciousness' view of the word. Face it, slavery was over more than 150 years ago. MANY generations before people living now ever faced it directly, regardless of race. If we devalue the word, instead of giving it tremendous power, THAT is the best way to foster equality.

You know what? You're alright.

Even if you are from the colonies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

You know what? You're alright.

Even if you are from the colonies.

Screenshotting this.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

I actually understand how marginal tax rates work so I know this isn't actually true!

Did I miss interpret this?
http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/working-overtime-is-more-taxing-you-think

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nidhg00670000 posted:

loving marginal tax, how does it work?

The answer is 168 hours.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It's the loving Cato Institute who's only function is to whine about how 30% marginal tax rate is killing all of the job creators.

(protip: the marginal tax rate is super loving low in this country)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

You guys think there are enough southern Alberta nerds like us to chip in and just outright buy some shithole with a garage in Sweetgrass?

I can't imagine it would be expensive.

e: then we could just buy parts, get them shipped there, put them on our heaps, and drive back.

https://www.kinek.com/

I used these guys a few times, they are convenient enough, especially with Amazon "just one shipment please" option.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

So, I'll just put this out here, with your use of the uncomfortable word in another thread:

What do you think of when you hear "tweet?" Something from twitter. Only 8 years ago, that definition was laughable and strange. Peep this:

Go with a large batch of what we used to call "drink coasters." Label them with a big "N." Get a lot of bars to start using them and instead of calling them "coasters," call them "niggers." friend of the family coasters. A brand. Get bars to buy in, "get that drink on a friend of the family." "Don't mess up my table, put a friend of the family down." Etc.

The word was used to a particular effect. If you make a word so powerful that some people cannot utter it, it becomes oppressively powerful. Instead, devalue it. Change the collective consciousness' view of the word. Face it, slavery was over more than 150 years ago. MANY generations before people living now ever faced it directly, regardless of race. If we devalue the word, instead of giving it tremendous power, THAT is the best way to foster equality.

Is this an unironic "slavery is over, get over it" post?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

It's the loving Cato Institute who's only function is to whine about how 30% marginal tax rate is killing all of the job creators.

(protip: the marginal tax rate is super loving low in this country)

"Job creators" is a misnomer. Watch "Inequality for All," available on Netflix. It is fascinating and a good summary of current events.

Phone posted:

Is this an unironic "slavery is over, get over it" post?

No, it's an unironic solution for what both sides agree is a problem.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

"Job creators" is a misnomer. Watch "Inequality for All," available on Netflix. It is fascinating and a good summary of current events.

Uhhhhhh excuse you, don't you know as soon as someone makes enough to pay all their bills and save for retirement, and and all excess immediately goes to opening up a small business and hiring dozens of employees at $15 an hour? READ A loving BOOK!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

I'll take a look at it tonight, I know what's been going on and what has been the genesis of the growing income inequality in the states.

quote:

No, it's an unironic solution for what both sides agree is a problem.

"Both sides"?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

There is a difference between marginal tax rates shrinking your extra OT pay below what you expect it to be, which is what the Cato article says and is correct, and tax rates actually meaning you're working for negative pay, which isn't really correct.*

* What can happen is you can reach certain benefit thresholds, like a small increase in pay causing you to lose a large childcare subsidy, or lose your ACA subsidy. That's not marginal tax rates, though, it's not all that common, and people near those thresholds tend to be pretty aware of them. There's also weird poo poo with the AMT but again if that affects you you're usually pretty aware.

People also get confused because withholding generally just extrapolates that pay period to the entire year, and withholds based on that estimated income, so if you get a really big paycheck, an unusually large amount gets whacked for taxes, but that all comes out at the end of the year.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
this thread is full of niggers too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hey guys how's your Saturday goi-

:stare:

*backs away slowly*

:suspense:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

quote:

marginal tax rates

And I wasn't taught this in high school because...?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
pretty good, actually. got a date later so lord knows how its gonna end (alone and scared, same as it ever was)

my mom says im cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzY2Qcu5i2A

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 3, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
jesus christ when did this become D&D

I am going to go back outside and do dumb poo poo to my dumb trucks, have fun arguing about politics! :cheers:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bucephalus posted:

It's not on the test. :v: (or your school didn't offer economics or you didn't take it)

I work at a financial and about half of the people had no idea how the tax structure went. A good rule of thumb is that unless if someone is a crazy billionaire who has more money than god or a family who is receiving some sort of government assistance, it is 100% bullshit that you'll wind up making less if you receive a raise and get bumped up a tax bracket. The edge cases are real, but they're extremely specific.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

Because the US education system teaches to test, not to education. US High School students gradate without knowing even the basics about credit cards, mortgages, credit, credit scores, rent, contracts, etc... basically they don't know how to loving live.

West SAAB Story posted:

pretty good, actually. got a date later so lord knows how its gonna end (alone and scared, same as it ever was)

Good luck, viggen!

Phone posted:

"Both sides"?

Yep, those that say that the word is inappropriate in any context and those that say it's viable when "x" parameter is met.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 3, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
rscott: gimme your email address.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Thanks, meatpimp.

If you can find a version of this avatar with the hands shown far enough apart for me to drop a logo between them that'd be awesome.

:krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bucephalus posted:

Same reason I work with a bunch of 25 year old idiots making $30k a year with a $150k mortgage, $75k in student loans, and a $35k brand-new brotruck in the parking lot who wonder why they can't seem to get ahead on the credit card bills they use to fund their hobbies.

The US education system is poo poo when it comes to personal finance.

• Locked thread