Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I do but can't get a lock on him to use them. When I do manage to hit him with blind fire I only do like 60 damage.

Domattee posted:

You can aim both bows and crossbows using the opposite bumper, i.e. left-hand bow aims with right bumper, right-hand bow aims with left.
Also to potentially clear up future confusion you can only scope in with a crossbow if you're two-handing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I even bonfire aesthetic'd the place and i haven't gotten a single bite

How do people still get this wrong? :argh:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE PWNER posted:

Ignore him, do the whole area while ignoring him is what I did. Once you cross the bridge, he doesn't have line of sight on you anymore.

Make sure you pull the knight on the bridge to the other side before crossing (makes it a lot easier to get across consistently), and kill the other one who's just past it too, otherwise he'll run over to you once you engage the guy infront of the fog door

Also you can use the column next to the bridge to guard your back against the archer while you pull both of the knights separately.

The jump to get to the archer isn't bad though, and there's a health-regen pool up top, so you don't have to waste your flasks or whatnot before fighting the Smelter Demon for the nth time.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Well, I finished my first playthrough. Started with swordsman, never raised vigor. I thought that was why I had so much trouble with the smelter demon, but from the OP it looks like he's just that hard. Had a lot of fun overall, the game kept surprising me with how long it was. Time to start again with a caster this time.

Also, thanks for the shout out From!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

How much better is than the regular one is great lightning spear? I'm trying to make up my mind if I want to respec out of something (probably end and adp, maybe atn) so I can use it. It's a dozen points out of my way, though.

It's p deece, absolutely rips apart Aldia's boss at 40/40, reduced casts don't matter since it's only 2-3 from lighting spear. It's pretty easy to get multiple casts anyways, I've even got two of GMB.

Although if you're hurting for attunement slots I'm not sure how you'll want to go. I've got 9 with SRB +2 so I have two casts of dark orb, both lighting spears, and 3 extra slots for a utility spell and (great) resonant soul.

Here's a very poorly encoded video of GLS in action. Boss spoilers for Aldia's i guess

http://youtu.be/sQ8kgxNuaQI

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Great Lightning Spear will 200-300 more damage than Lightning Spear. If you can upgrade to it, do so!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I do but can't get a lock on him to use them. When I do manage to hit him with blind fire I only do like 60 damage.

I barely made the jump from the other side so I doubt I can pull this off. I'm terrible at jumping in this game.

Poison arrows are your friend, you can buy them from Gavlan for 60 souls each. Poison arrows trivialise a lot of the game, I'm going to have to force myself not to use them on my next character. Iron Keep and Drangleic Castle in particular become a lot less threatening.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dandywalken posted:

poo poo, so I can be invaded if I DONT burn effigies?

This whole time I've been hoarding em!

Don't just burn effigies for no reason. Unlike kindling a bonfire with humanity in Dark Souls, the effects of burning an effigy are temporary. Invasions aren't common enough that you need to waste them all just because someone might invade you. Once you reach a high SM you might consider burning them if you really don't want to be invaded in a certain area, but invasions haven't gotten that common for me.

I've burned an effigy once, and it was because I got invaded by a blue boy using the same cookie cutter PvP build as everyone else. He was lagging like hell so he kept killing me from several feet away. At the time I was trying to clear out that obnoxious Ruin Sentinel chamber in Drangleic Castle, and that rear end in a top hat interrupting me twice was enough for me to chuck an effigy into the fire.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
For the people talking about the Voice Acting earlier:

FROM have used the same talent agency for all three games, and they tend to get pretty established UK actors.

They obviously have a bigger budget this time around, but a lot of people returned from 1 to 2 (Solaire is the Blue Sentinel, for instance)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I barely made the jump from the other side so I doubt I can pull this off. I'm terrible at jumping in this game.

Just get him at least partially in view and get close, you can target him. Whenever he's going to fire a shot, step back behind the wall. It's a bit touchy, because you have to get really close to the edge to keep the targeting and have a clear shot at the same time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I like a good 70% of this game, and think that on balance it's a very excellent title, but some of the design decisions truly baffle me. Particularly, I'm somewhat annoyed at how many levels centrally feature poison or hard-to-reach enemies with homing projectiles. Brightstone Cove and the Shrine of Amana both made me not want to play anymore in the exact same way that blighttown did- neither were hard, they were just an un-fun slog to get through.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Over a week since release and still no word on VAC except "We know about it". Missing out on a huge part of the game kinda sucks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I feel like I'm stating something really obvious, but that archer's the easiest to deal with. When you enter the open area, hug the wall to the right and position the camera just so you see him, then press the lock-on button. Now back up a bit, just so you can move to the left without falling into lava, the lock will hold and you can move just a step to the right to hide from his arrows.

How did you guys not discover this? You can use this technique of hiding behind a corner and locking on enemies before you start fighting in many places to even the odds.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dezztroy posted:

Over a week since release and still no word on VAC except "We know about it". Missing out on a huge part of the game kinda sucks.

maybe you shouldn't have cheated to get sik headshots in counterstrike.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dezztroy posted:

I thought that the whole point of VAC was to discourage people from cheating in all Steam games? Why should people who are VAC banned get to play DS2 online with all the non-cheaters?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

So I like a good 70% of this game, and think that on balance it's a very excellent title, but some of the design decisions truly baffle me. Particularly, I'm somewhat annoyed at how many levels centrally feature poison or hard-to-reach enemies with homing projectiles. Brightstone Cove and the Shrine of Amana both made me not want to play anymore in the exact same way that blighttown did- neither were hard, they were just an un-fun slog to get through.

Binoculars or a bow will make these areas less annoying. Yeah I realize it's cheap, but it works if you just want to get through to other areas.

lordfrikk posted:

I feel like I'm stating something really obvious, but that archer's the easiest to deal with. When you enter the open area, hug the wall to the right and position the camera just so you see him, then press the lock-on button. Now back up a bit, just so you can move to the left and not fall into lava, the lock will hold and you can move just a step to the right to hide from his arrow.

How did you guys not discover this? You can use this technique of hiding behind a corner and lockin on before you start fighting in many places to even the odds.

That was what I was trying to describe, but yours was a little clearer. Two lightning spears and that guy is done.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Omi no Kami posted:

I on the other hand enjoy the levels that are painfully annoying, Shrine of Amana is probably my favorite level in the game. The more tense and careful I get trying to get past certain areas the more I enjoy it, bad level design be damned

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

I think it's a fair choice. Demon/Dark Souls in general is an interesting exercise in game design, because the choices they make are almost entirely to keep you from any one pattern. Put your shield up all the time? Well, here's something that poisons you even if you're blocking, so learn to roll. Like to roll around to dodge attacks? Here, fight in some muck, get your shield up. Stuck in a block/attack rut while facing an enemy? Here's one that counterattacks too fast to block. And beyond that, backstabbing and particularly parrying raise the skill ceiling but aren't strictly necessary. There's dozens of ways in which they mix things up.

I've gotten mad a few times, but later on I realised the game was right to gently caress with me like that by doing stuff like putting a fire in the middle of a bunch of enemies, or making your first encounter of an enemy to be facing six of them. It's really hard to figure out what makes a player say "that's enough" in this context, because people come to Dark Souls to be shaken.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reason posted:

I thought that the whole point of VAC was to discourage people from cheating in all Steam games? Why should people who are VAC banned get to play DS2 online with all the non-cheaters?

VAC works per-engine and it is not consistent with the rules of VAC for a ban from another game engine to count against you in DS2. Right now, DS2 just checks to see if you have any VAC bans on record at all, I guess.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there anything good in the fire lizard hell pit in FoFG? Just when I thought I knew how to fight the bastards one launched himself like a loving torpedo right at me while I was casting great lightning spear at him :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shrine of Anama isn't even badly designed. It provides a unique challenge while still being completely fair. The entire level is perfectly flat. Every single mage is clearly visible and requires a direct line of sight to hit you. If you're observant you shouldn't have any trouble locating them. The projectiles themselves are slow as hell and easy to dodge, so if you see them coming you should barely ever get hit. The mages are squishy and can't do poo poo once you get within melee range. You just have to devise a plan of attack based on where the mages are positioned rather than charging in blindly. I had barely any trouble getting through Anama and I didn't use any ranged attacks to take out the mages either.

That part of the game requires a different approach but that doesn't make it bad or unfair. Bad is Tseldora since half the mages are positioned so that you can't easily reach them and they literally never stop flooding your screen with projectiles that, while easy to dodge, are so numerous that you'll just be worn down over time. This still isn't as bad as loving Blighttown where the rear end in a top hat snipers are accurate, far away, blend in with the environment, and afflict you with a deadly status ailment you probably won't be equipped to handle your first time through.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Bad is Tseldora since half the mages are positioned so that you can't easily reach them and they literally never stop flooding your screen with projectiles that, while easy to dodge, are so numerous that you'll just be worn down over time. This still isn't as bad as loving Blighttown where the rear end in a top hat snipers are accurate, far away, blend in with the environment, and afflict you with a deadly status ailment you probably won't be equipped to handle your first time through.

Bright Cove Tseldora was my least favorite area in the whole game. just a huge exercise in frustration and tedium.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Freja is the first boss that's proving to be actually hard. Why the hell does a giant spider shoot a laser beam? :stare:

That and the fact that a lot of her attacks seem to be unblockable and a bunch of them have a way bigger hitbox than look like they'd have is making it a real pain.

e; also doesn't help that I'm trying to get summoned to get a refill and my SM is so high that about half the summons are into NG+. :argh:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy hell NG+ does not gently caress around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Freja is the first boss that's proving to be actually hard. Why the hell does a giant spider shoot a laser beam? :stare:

That and the fact that a lot of her attacks seem to be unblockable and a bunch of them have a way bigger hitbox than look like they'd have is making it a real pain.

One of the tricks to her is that while she'll keep firing her laser when hit, hitting her with a ranged attack during it will make her raise it up briefly so you can easily roll past.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I don't think shrine of amana is bad, and every time hear myself using the word 'unfair' in reference to a DS game I assume it's my misunderstanding a mechanism or failing to note a strategy, not the game's problem. What I do feel confident saying about the shrine is that it's plain un-fun for me: the challenge is obvious after a time or two through, but enemies hit hard enough, and the water slows you down enough, that it takes a fair number of attempts to get through, none that enjoyable. Along with brightstone, this is one of the only (two) areas in the game thus far that have prompted me to spend all my souls and just practice sprinting straight through the level just so I don't have to play it any more.

Unrelated, but I'm wondering if I could ask for shield recommendations? I've been using Havel's for most of the game thus far, but that can't be optimal. Currently have 45 STR, 29 VIT, 42 FAI, 25 INT, going to take INT up to 30 and then start pouring souls into pyromancy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Freja was obnoxious for me just because she took ages to kill for some reason. I don't know what was wrong with my build at the time but I did barely any damage. Her attacks hurt like hell but they are mostly easy to avoid. I found her big bite to be the worst because it did a ton of damage and hit in a wide enough area that if I attacked too late I could be punished hard by it. However, I discovered something that completely trivializes her.

Stand just far enough away to bait her into using her laser. When she starts to use it, sprint to the other side of her body. Until she is finished with the laser you can pummel her other head with complete impunity. There is nothing she can do about this. The only risk is getting impatient and sticking around too long, which can result in you getting chomped. If your willing to play it safe, this strategy will easily win the fight, though depending on your weapon it might take a long time.

Cardboard Box posted:

Bright Cove Tseldora was my least favorite area in the whole game. just a huge exercise in frustration and tedium.

Yeah I'm not fond of it either. That huge sand arena is just one big headache.

VVV There's 0 reason to fight the priests in sight of the mages. Whenever I saw priests I would lure them to an area out of the mages range. As for the snorks, they caught me a few times but they weren't that threatening. Typically if I found one right in the way of a mage, I would back off to where only one mage could hit me to kill it. Dodging one mage is easy and the snorks die fast.

Basically, shrine of anama punishes you for trying to rush it and reward planning. I get how people might not enjoy that, but I thought it was a nice change of pace for one level. Its definitely not the unfair nightmare people make it out to be though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 3, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Shrine of Anama isn't even badly designed. It provides a unique challenge while still being completely fair. The entire level is perfectly flat. Every single mage is clearly visible and requires a direct line of sight to hit you. If you're observant you shouldn't have any trouble locating them. The projectiles themselves are slow as hell and easy to dodge, so if you see them coming you should barely ever get hit. The mages are squishy and can't do poo poo once you get within melee range. You just have to devise a plan of attack based on where the mages are positioned rather than charging in blindly. I had barely any trouble getting through Anama and I didn't use any ranged attacks to take out the mages either.

That part of the game requires a different approach but that doesn't make it bad or unfair. Bad is Tseldora since half the mages are positioned so that you can't easily reach them and they literally never stop flooding your screen with projectiles that, while easy to dodge, are so numerous that you'll just be worn down over time. This still isn't as bad as loving Blighttown where the rear end in a top hat snipers are accurate, far away, blend in with the environment, and afflict you with a deadly status ailment you probably won't be equipped to handle your first time through.

The trouble with Amana is (1) the mages will immediately start firing when you are the slightest bit in view/still WAY outside of targeting range. Then (2) one projectile is easy to dodge, while 3 projectiles from multiple directions combined with patches of deep water, those lizard things and the fast priests with insane weapon reach who will wreck you with a few hits becomes a problem.

I didn't think it was a bad area necessarily, but it did get annoying sometimes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was trying to figure out where to go for the fourth great soul, so I finally looked up a map:

The last one I need is in Brightstone Cove, except it looks like I have to go through Doors of Pharros. Isn't that ratbro territory? Is there a way to get through that doesn't involve fighting ratbros or cheesing it by going offline?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found Freja really easy. The only threatening attack is the jump attack and when she does that thing with her legs, which one shot one of my phantom friends. The laser you can just sprint past.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lori posted:

The guys in Iron Keep who summon two white phantoms then a red phantom to dogpile on are the cheesiest fucks
All the babies whining about some broken imaginary "code of honor" almost makes me want to start doing it

... but it obviously wouldn't be the same without the gfwl hatemail messages. :(

(not that gfwl doesn't deserve to rot in an unmarked landfill)

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

404notfound posted:

I was trying to figure out where to go for the fourth great soul, so I finally looked up a map:

The last one I need is in Brightstone Cove, except it looks like I have to go through Doors of Pharros. Isn't that ratbro territory? Is there a way to get through that doesn't involve fighting ratbros or cheesing it by going offline?

entrance to brightstone cove is literally right beside the entrance bonfire in doors.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

404notfound posted:

Ratbros don't work like Bell keepers. They pull YOU into THEIR world. You're a phantom and lose nothing if they beat you.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

RBA Starblade posted:

I found Freja really easy. The only threatening attack is the jump attack and when she does that thing with her legs, which one shot one of my phantom friends. The laser you can just sprint past.

In NG+ she was giving me a lot of grief because of the little spiders. It's especially annoying as a white phantom because I'd come through the fog door directly into all of them.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Man, I hate to be one of those "pubs just can't Smelter Demon" guys, but god drat how can people not get like one of the most basic bosses in the game?

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Also to potentially clear up future confusion you can only scope in with a crossbow if you're two-handing it.

Thanks for that. I only have a few areas left in NG and up until just now I had no idea I had a sniping/pulling option all along.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is there a good easily attainable weapon for pvp with lowish strength and high faith? Mace is awesome for pve but doesn't have the range or moveset for pvp.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LemonAIDS posted:

entrance to brightstone cove is literally right beside the entrance bonfire in doors.

It's close, but you still have to go up a whole bunch of stairs and down a few corridors first. It's not "right beside" the bonfire. It's also very easy to get turned around and wander into Pharros proper from that bonfire.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Oh, man, I had no idea that there was a shoutout to Garl Vinland's armor in this game. How do you get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azzents posted:

Man, I hate to be one of those "pubs just can't Smelter Demon" guys, but god drat how can people not get like one of the most basic bosses in the game?

He's more punitive than a lot of bosses in Dark Souls 2 in that he has a lot of health/defense and once he commits fire seppuku, he has at least two attacks that will oneshot a normally-leveled and geared player. He also inflicts damage to melee players even when they're doing everything right because of his heat aura.

His attacks are pretty easy to avoid and with a 100% phys/strong fire shield you can block most of them too, but it's a long fight where any mistake or miscalculation is a potential death. I died to him a ton on console on my first character because I was a Dex melee with no infusions or magic stats, so I did poo poo for damage, and any phantom I tried to summon would either get oneshot before he was at half health or do 30 damage.