Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Sampatrick posted:

He is soletaken, so one would assume he would smell like a soletaken o.O

I know there are supposed implications of him being soletaken, but is it ever said outright? Or does anyone have references to him being one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rye Bread posted:

I know there are supposed implications of him being soletaken, but is it ever said outright? Or does anyone have references to him being one?

IIRC, yes.

SansPants
Mar 31, 2007

Rye Bread posted:

In GotM, Shadowthrone calls him "you shapeshifting bastard"

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

SansPants posted:

Ah. I only read through the series once, finishing back in February. I only read on my train rides, so GotM was a couple years ago for me.

SansPants
Mar 31, 2007

Rye Bread posted:

Ah. I only read through the series once, finishing back in February. I only read on my train rides, so GotM was a couple years ago for me.

I noticed it on my first reading and spent the rest of the series waiting to see what he veers into.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

SansPants posted:

I noticed it on my first reading and spent the rest of the series waiting to see what he veers into.

A Dragondemonimassfalconthunderbird.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Habibi posted:

A Dragondemonimassfalconthunderbird.

...with swords for arms.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
He's clearly D'ivers Azathanai.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Quick Ben is a soletaken that veers into the form of Quick Ben.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

SansPants posted:

I always assumed that this was referring to one of his other souls. That Shadowthrone knew one of his souls in a different body. I didn't ever think it was in reference to him actually being a shapeshifter for true. On my first reread though

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tooter posted:

I always assumed that this was referring to one of his other souls. That Shadowthrone knew one of his souls in a different body. I didn't ever think it was in reference to him actually being a shapeshifter for true. On my first reread though

He names him Delat when making the claim. The body he uses now is the one shadow throne recognises. Remember while it was the youngest and least badass that's more a reflection on how awesome his other souls were. He's still a former high priest of shadow himself.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Honestly what's the practical difference, if any, between a priest and a Mage? Also is durhang supposed to be opium or hash?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Mages use Warrens or holds through their own inherent or studied ability, while the only magic priests can use by virtue of being priests is granted by their god. I think. Though many priests are also mages.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

tuluk posted:

Anyone willing to translate what Nep Furrow said in the Crippled God epilogue?

As I read it - and I could be very wrong - when Nep gets asked what's he's going to do now they can disband, Nep gets right pissy and points out that Nep is actually a woman, you blind arseholes. Or something along those lines.

I think.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

uh zip zoom posted:

Honestly what's the practical difference, if any, between a priest and a Mage? Also is durhang supposed to be opium or hash?

I always thought of it like a harsher opium type narcotic. God I need to pick the series back up and finish it, stopped mid-way through DoD to catch my breathe and never resumed (Damned infinite side-plots!)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rejutka posted:

Nep Furrow

Yeah if there's one singular thing I really hate, it's the accent-so-thick-its-nigh-unreadable trope. It shouldn't ever be used in my opinion. I have a brother who is (very) hard of hearing, and it just ruins books if that is used because there's no possible way for him to 'sound out' what the guy 'meant to say' so its a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I literally skipped over anything Nep said because I have such an ingrained dislike for it.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yeah if there's one singular thing I really hate, it's the accent-so-thick-its-nigh-unreadable trope. It shouldn't ever be used in my opinion. I have a brother who is (very) hard of hearing, and it just ruins books if that is used because there's no possible way for him to 'sound out' what the guy 'meant to say' so its a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I literally skipped over anything Nep said because I have such an ingrained dislike for it.

I'm usually too lazy to bother to interpret it directly so I just treat this trope like Chewbacca. If I'm meant to know what they're saying, one of the other characters will understand them and respond in a way that makes if clear for me.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Rye Bread posted:

One of the souls he absorded was Soletaken. Here is a brief list of the other magi within Ben.

Kebharla, more a scholar than a mage
Renisha, a sorceror of High Meanas
Keluger, a Septime Priest of D'riss
Narkal, the warrior-mage sworn to Fener and aspirant to the god's Mortal Sword
Ullan, the Soletaken priestess of Soliel
Set'alahd Crool, a Jhag half-blood
Etra, a mistress of Rashan
Birith'erah, mage of the Serc warren
Gellid, witch of Tennes .

In addition to that Quick Ben's original warren is Rashan as a high priest of Rashan. Eventually he defected from Rashan and took on the Meanas Warren.

Popular opinion is that if Quick Ben has a soletaken form it's a wolf as it's mentioned by his sister in the temple of Poliel

quote:

"As it whispered shut behind him, the woman, his sister, lifted herself to her hands and knees. Her hair hung down obscuring her face but Paran clearly heard as she said, 'There was a wolf'
He cocked his head. 'A Hound of Shadow'.
'A wolf', she said again 'The loveliest, sweetest wolf in the world....'

If I need to spoiler tag anything here please let me know.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Quick Ben's childhood made it clear he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat. I never really got what his sister was there for other than to remind him of that.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Do we think they'd ever consider a tv series? On the back of Game of Thrones success and the current trend of tv being favoured over film for deep narrative exploration, I'd say it was ripe. I know they attempted a GotM script, but if each book had a 20 episode season it could be the sweetest thing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's really funny that Whiskeyjack's sister was rescued from being a ward of High House Death considering what happened in DoD/TCG.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Seems like a tough sell to me. A Song of Ice and Fire is basically a costume drama with a few fantasy elements, so it is easily digestible for the general public.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Lofty132 posted:

Do we think they'd ever consider a tv series? On the back of Game of Thrones success and the current trend of tv being favoured over film for deep narrative exploration, I'd say it was ripe. I know they attempted a GotM script, but if each book had a 20 episode season it could be the sweetest thing.

I kind of doubt it. It's really hard to pin down exact sales figures (especially for ASOIAF prior to the tv series) but ASOIAF is basically pretty anomalous in the fantasy genre for developing some popularity outside of genre fans even before the tv series. Best I can see is that ASOIAF had sold around 15 million books as a series just prior to the tv show. Comparatively, the Malazan series didn't crack 1 million until the The Crippled God came out - that's a pretty huge difference even without accounting for how many more total books are in the Malazan series.

A Malazan series would also probably have to be animated. The cost of casting, set design, and special effects for all of the races, magic, and supernatural locations would probably be prohibitive for any sort of live action production, which I imagine would turn off a lot of tv studios. I don't think it's out of the question that it could be picked up for a series, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

BobFromMarketing posted:

One of the souls he absorded was Soletaken. Here is a brief list of the other magi within Ben.

Narkal, the warrior-mage sworn to Fener and aspirant to the god's Mortal Sword

So wait, depending upon exactly how Quick Ben handles absorbing other peoples skills/abilities/experience he's also potentially a great warrior on top of his magic?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
I think it just shows we never really see Quick Ben's full abilities. He is the second most intelligent human on the planet and skilled beyond measure in his various warrens.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

BobFromMarketing posted:

I think it just shows we never really see Quick Ben's full abilities. He is the second most intelligent human on the planet and skilled beyond measure in his various warrens.

Second? Sure we're told that he isn't that far behind Kruppe, but at the time we didn't know about a certain roof-dwelling sheet-wearing human who could probably eat Kruppe for breakfast.

Quick is clearly third.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Masonity posted:

Second? Sure we're told that he isn't that far behind Kruppe, but at the time we didn't know about a certain roof-dwelling sheet-wearing human who could probably eat Kruppe for breakfast.

Quick is clearly third.

Right I completely forgot about him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

Quick is clearly third.

Little known Malazan trivia: Erikson has attempted to write a Tehol/Kruppe novella on no fewer than seven occasions, but he never gets more than 4 pages in before the thing spontaneously combusts.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

A Malazan series would also probably have to be animated. The cost of casting, set design, and special effects for all of the races, magic, and supernatural locations would probably be prohibitive for any sort of live action production, which I imagine would turn off a lot of tv studios. I don't think it's out of the question that it could be picked up for a series, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't know - I think we're fast approaching the point where doing a live action show with a ton of CGI for the various races/magic/supernatural locations would be pretty reasonable. I think the biggest roadblock in adapting it for the screen is the plot. Many viewers have trouble with the various stories and intersections in GoT, and Malazan is not only significantly (if not incomparably) more complex on the surface, but is further complicated by spanning hundreds of thousands of years, a multitude of realms, countless mythologies, etc... That, to me, seems like the prohibitive element when talking about giving the series (or even one of the books) a screen treatment.

However, I could totally see a mini-series or show based around a particular event or set of events from the Malazan world. The Chain of Dogs would probably work well. It's a linear story that doesn't require you to know or learn much background, it's compelling as gently caress despite the overall simplicity of the plot (get refugees from point A to B), it has strong main and supporting characters, and features enough CHAAAARGE and SWISH SWISH CLANG and HUURRGggg to satisfy even the Spartacus crowd. The defense of Capustan could serve for similar reasons. Karsa's arc from House of Chains, maybe with some modification. Hrm, maybe even a large chunk of OST. Essentially storylines that could be presented as self-contained - eg: for OST, even though it involves a lot of characters/races who've had histories or background already established, you wouldn't necessarily need to get much of it across in order to retain a cohesive story.

quote:

So wait, depending upon exactly how Quick Ben handles absorbing other peoples skills/abilities/experience he's also potentially a great warrior on top of his magic?

I expect the explanation for why this would not be the case is something like that accessing a warren is (in the majority of cases) something you have a natural affinity for (even if you don't train and use it), and thus could be argued to be part of the soul. Being really good at killing dudes with a mace is probably more of a learned skill.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Habibi posted:

The Chain of Dogs would probably work well. It's a linear story that doesn't require you to know or learn much background, it's compelling as gently caress despite the overall simplicity of the plot (get refugees from point A to B), it has strong main and supporting characters, and features enough CHAAAARGE and SWISH SWISH CLANG and HUURRGggg to satisfy even the Spartacus crowd. The defense of Capustan could serve for similar reasons.

I would follow that with with Onearm's host, Anomander's Rake and Caladan Brood vs Pannion Seer.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
That would actually be really, incredibly cool. Three mini-series dealing with one isolated story arc each, all part of the same universe. That way you'd also avoid the trap that GoT has fallen into where some plot arcs are now receiving only 4 minutes of screen time per episode.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

Little known Malazan trivia: Erikson has attempted to write a Tehol/Kruppe novella on no fewer than seven occasions, but he never gets more than 4 pages in before the thing spontaneously combusts.

And when he tried mixing in Iskaral Pust and his donkey, he inadvertently created a black hole.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Masonity posted:

Quick is clearly third.

Wait, who? is that someone i forgot or someone from the most recent book i haven't read yet?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Tehol is who he is referencing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finished the last book yesterday. I started the first one about two years ago.

Why do I have the feeling that I should start rereading the drat thing with copious wiki/internet support in order to finally have a clear picture of the entire thing?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Fat Samurai posted:

Why do I have the feeling that I should start rereading the drat thing with copious wiki/internet support in order to finally have a clear picture of the entire thing?

I actually have stopped before Dust of Dreams to go back to Garden's of the Moon. The amount of new details I am picking up is staggering. I highly recommend it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Nah you just need to read it two or three more times. :)

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Funny… That's what I'm doing right now.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Doesn't kindle now allow a kind of series specific dictionary to be added to a book? An Encyclopedia Malazan hot linking to names of people / places / races / etc would make the ebook versions awesome. And maybe make me consider spending £60 or whatever that mega edition costs.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Masonity posted:

Doesn't kindle now allow a kind of series specific dictionary to be added to a book? An Encyclopedia Malazan hot linking to names of people / places / races / etc would make the ebook versions awesome. And maybe make me consider spending £60 or whatever that mega edition costs.

I'm very interested in this. Please, tell me more. Is it a feature exclusive to the Kindle fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm very interested in this. Please, tell me more. Is it a feature exclusive to the Kindle fire?

Kindle touch and fire. It seems like its limited to Wikipedia and their own book community though.

amazon X-ray