Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

What's a good gun law fishmech.

New Jersey's gun laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install Windows posted:

When it comes to guns they pretty much are.

Then the electronics in these "smart guns" is going to be more expensive than the gun itself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Then the electronics in these "smart guns" is going to be more expensive than the gun itself.

And we should care... why? The electronics in a modern toaster oven can cost more than the heating element.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The klan's coming, hurry up and toast that loving bread!

Install Windows posted:

New Jersey's gun laws.

Why are they good?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

SedanChair posted:

The evidence is that police have requested the technology, and police organizations work hand in hand with Bloomberg and others. It's not conclusive evidence and it doesn't need to be. It's good enough evidence to fight it tooth and nail.

Cool, so you're saying the Police are the bad guys here. Good to know.

SedanChair posted:

Is the cannon disabled if the RFID reader stops working?

Nope but that's not what the conversation was about. Try again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Because military and consumer grade equipment is always the same.

No, it's not, but RFID tags are used in high pressure situations such as deep-sea rigs, etc. I'm willing to concede to you for now, though, as I can't find concrete evidence of what RFID tags are actually being used in the Armatrix setup. Making sure that any tech works when needed is something that really should be stressed and I know that RFID chips work in harsher situations than handgun recoil but until I can back myself up in this case, it's a fair point.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

What's a good gun law fishmech.

One that takes specifically your guns away and requires Barack Obama to personally urinate on all of them when he wakes up every morning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Why are they good.

Because they enrage the underinformed and are repeatedly scorned by the NRA who shake their fists impotently from Fairfax. Also they're pretty much normative gun laws for the rest of the world. :)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

I hope you get some solace from this, because you're sure not going to get it from changes to gun laws.

I'm not sure why you think I'm getting solace for something with my questions here, I wanted to know if you had a sound basis for your assertion. You've clarified your assertion from statement of fact to what you personally believe to be the case based on associative judgements and I thanked you for that.

e: vvv What? :confused:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 3, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: ^^^ Smugness should be backed up with intelligence.

Robviously posted:

Nope but that's not what the conversation was about. Try again.

I reckon you see that your answer shows why your point was without relevance. In a smart gun the function depends on the system. In a wear tracking system it doesn't. So the durability requirement is totally different and nothing short of 100% is acceptable, and 100% is impossible.

Jagchosis posted:

One that takes specifically your guns away and requires Barack Obama to personally urinate on all of them when he wakes up every morning.

I hope he bought a Nantucket Nectars with the money I sent him. To make urine with.

Install Windows posted:

Because they enrage the underinformed and are repeatedly scorned by the NRA who shake their fists impotently from Fairfax. Also they're pretty much normative gun laws for the rest of the world. :)

In other words, spite and party politics.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 3, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You wouldn't put a safety on your penis.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

So because people are worried that the guns might not fire, even though this hasn't actually happened, Americans should not be able to buy them and also the RFID chip and tracking system will lead to the Antichrist coming to take them away later.

I didn't realize I started posting on a Left Behind fan forum, I call the role of "Chaim."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Huh, a lot of activity in this thread today. Is it more delightful Bundy hilarity? Oh I hope it's more delightful Bundy hilarity...

SedanChair posted:

Excuse me while I lodge my head up my own rear end because someone mentioned guns. It's warm and cozy up here.

Oh, wait, nevermind. Carry on with your gun chat folks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

In other words, spite and party politics.

No, it's because it's the way gun laws work in most places. Gun freaks hollering about how it's the downfall is merely a good indicator you're doing something right, because they need to point their guns in certain other directions.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Can we please get off the loving gunchat already. I'll take anything else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

So because people are worried that the guns might not fire

quote:

Anything that can go wrong with a gun, will go wrong, sooner or later.

e:

Install Windows posted:

No, it's because it's the way gun laws work in most places. Gun freaks hollering about how it's the downfall is merely a good indicator you're doing something right, because they need to point their guns in certain other directions.

Somebody got spooky in gunchat, but it wasn't me.

e2: VVV Guns don't keep people alive? Somebody tell the cops.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 3, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yeah, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread. I can't hit that 100% shitposting mark and that's just unacceptable.

Edit: I can, however, hit the 99% shitposting mark that medical devices have so you know, glad to know that guns need to be held to a higher level than poo poo that actually keeps people alive.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

SedanChair posted:

e:

Ah yes, everything that can go wrong with a gun will go wrong. But it will never ever be turned against the owner or innocents because reasons

Sorry, I hate gunchat as much as anyone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Well you certainly got spooked by the idea that in the year 2100 you might be unable to not use a cybergun, which is weird and probably indicates you should see a therapist. :(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

cbservo posted:

Can we please get off the loving gunchat already. I'll take anything else.

Like SedanChair wouldn't be doing this with any other topic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Install Windows posted:

Well you certainly got spooked by the idea that in the year 2100 you might be unable to not use a cybergun, which is weird and probably indicates you should see a therapist. :(
Where does SedanChair stand on b-ball control?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

No I was spooked by your suggestion that I and every other gun owner in America commit suicide.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I am typing this post with my gun.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nessus posted:

Where does SedanChair stand on b-ball control?

The Constitution guarantees my right to the Chaos Dunk.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

No I was spooked by your suggestion that I and every other gun owner in America commit suicide.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're reading a fellow gun owner as saying all gun owners should commit suicide. Thinking people are telling you to commit suicide is a sign you need mental help.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're reading a fellow gun owner as saying all gun owners should commit suicide. Thinking people are telling you to commit suicide is a sign you need mental help.

Don't try to be a pro at things you lack the training for.

Care to explain what you meant by pointing our guns in "certain other directions" then?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Care to explain what you meant by pointing our guns in "certain other directions" then?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Slow news day I take it?

I finally picked up a copy of the Robert Gates book. I'm very interested to see his perspective on the past decade of war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You wouldn't put a safety on your penis.

Says you.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What if I need to whip it out in an emergency? You wont be so smug when your jimmy is caught on a zipper.

SedanChair posted:

Don't try to be a pro at things you lack the training for.
But by all means, fancy yourself an amateur law enforcement officer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

*gasp* Terrorism!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Anyone else wishing we could turn this thread into a prison for fishmech and sedanchar?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Anyone else wishing we could turn this thread into a prison for fishmech and sedanchar?

I'm just happy to see fishmech turn his renowned pedantry on a worthy target.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They're not trapped in here with us. We're trapped in here with them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They're not trapped in here with us. We're trapped in here with them.

Nonsense, I can leave any time I want.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is bad posting a felony?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
This whole thing is basically the Tesla vs Other Car Companies on another item. Inventor comes up with a new technology that offers features and benefits the old manufacturers don't have. It also happens meet a policy goal (CO2 emissions/unintended shootings) but it is being brought to market because there is a niche for it because there are buyers who like that feature. So the old manufacturers drum up brand loyalty first to try and force them out (remember how tesla was originally for effete losers until it started hitting amazing metrics year after year?). If that doesn't work they will try to legally ban it (see all the GOP states barring Tesla stores and loading up taxes for electric and hybrid vehicles) And if that doesn't work eventually it's features will be copied (Ford F150 swapping to an aluminum frame)

Except in the case of the gun manufacturers, since they have managed to frame not buying their brands as an attack on freedom, you get death threats to someone trying to innovate in an industry.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Is bad posting a felony?

*looks at gbs posts* :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

This whole thing is basically the Tesla vs Other Car Companies on another item. Inventor comes up with a new technology that offers features and benefits the old manufacturers don't have. It also happens meet a policy goal (CO2 emissions/unintended shootings) but it is being brought to market because there is a niche for it because there are buyers who like that feature. So the old manufacturers drum up brand loyalty first to try and force them out (remember how tesla was originally for effete losers until it started hitting amazing metrics year after year?). If that doesn't work they will try to legally ban it (see all the GOP states barring Tesla stores and loading up taxes for electric and hybrid vehicles) And if that doesn't work eventually it's features will be copied (Ford F150 swapping to an aluminum frame)

This is of course ignoring that the Tesla "stores" still had you execute the actual order by way of their website, and that remained and remains perfectly fine to order through.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Except in the case of the gun manufacturers, since they have managed to frame not buying their brands as an attack on freedom, you get death threats to someone trying to innovate in an industry.

The F-150's aluminum body isn't copying Tesla, automakers (including Jaguar, which Ford used to own) have been using it for some time, but seldom in such a mass-market product as the F-150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Install Windows posted:

This is of course ignoring that the Tesla "stores" still had you execute the actual order by way of their website, and that remained and remains perfectly fine to order through.

Which has what to do with my point?

StandardVC10 posted:

The F-150's aluminum body isn't copying Tesla, automakers (including Jaguar, which Ford used to own) have been using it for some time, but seldom in such a mass-market product as the F-150.

It is a big step towards improvement on gas efficiency, which was the "feature" the Tesla is pushing. Even if you don't like that there are other parts of tesla (eg the manufacturing process) they are looking to take from so the point stands.

• Locked thread