Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I finally got summoned to assist as a blue sentinel and they died before I could even zone in. :( that I'm back in the Blue Sentinels.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Umberger posted:

It makes the lizard dudes aggro from very far away, and there are a few off the beaten path that you otherwise wouldn't encounter that turn a 1v1 into a 3v1 with a mage shooting poo poo at you too.

Dark Chime of Want has a higher form of S scaling, so if your Int/Faith are high then it will out-perform Dark Caitha's.
Caitha's has a better cast speed, though, which I find to be more favorable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I had no idea fire annoyed those guys. I just assumed they had a big aggro range. :psyduck:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Umberger posted:

It makes the lizard dudes aggro from very far away, and there are a few off the beaten path that you otherwise wouldn't encounter that turn a 1v1 into a 3v1 with a mage shooting poo poo at you too.

Dark Chime of Want has a higher form of S scaling, so if your Int/Faith are high then it will out-perform Dark Caitha's.

Yeah, but you have to beat the game in order to get it and I got the impression he was looking for a weapon before that point. It also has a much higher stat requirement and slower casting speed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

poptart_fairy posted:

Wow, I had no idea fire annoyed those guys. I just assumed they had a big aggro range. :psyduck:
If you have no torch you can almost stand right on top of them and they won't give a poo poo.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, but you have to beat the game in order to get it and I got the impression he was looking for a weapon before that point. It also has a much higher stat requirement and slower casting speed.

Nahxela posted:

Caitha's has a better cast speed, though, which I find to be more favorable.

Fair points. Wasn't sure if he meant late-game in the sense of "nearing the end of NG" or late-game in the sense of "min-maxing my character".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Umberger posted:

Disclaimer: Do not use a torch in Shrine of Amana.

I never tried using Cast Light, but torches are A Bad Idea.

No they arent. Torches allow you to see where the dropoff is.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
question: you can just consume all the boss souls in ng+ right?
I got all I wanted out of them in ng.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Guessing they still haven't done anything about the VAC bug... :bang:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheNightReaver posted:

question: you can just consume all the boss souls in ng+ right?
I got all I wanted out of them in ng.

Nope. There's several new things you can get in ng+ with boss souls.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Fashion Souls

Alva's is such a good chest piece.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Doctor Albatross posted:

Guessing they still haven't done anything about the VAC bug... :bang:

Oh there's plenty worse than that, brother.
I used a thing called GeDoSaTo for increasing the prettiness of DS2 and that is flagged by VAC. Now I have a VAC ban incoming for my account and cannot summon, invade, or be summoned or invaded in DS2 anymore. You can still see ghosts and bloodstains, and read and write messages, but anything involving interacting with players is disabled on that Steam account forever. Not even a Bone of Order fixes that poo poo, like it would anyway.

In addition to the other problems, I think this release hasn't been a very good one considering you can get a VAC ban for a graphics mod.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

rear end-Haggis posted:

I used a thing called GeDoSaTo for increasing the prettiness of DS2 and that is flagged by VAC. Now I have a VAC ban incoming for my account and cannot summon, invade, or be summoned or invaded in DS2 anymore. You can still see ghosts and bloodstains, and read and write messages, but anything involving interacting with players is disabled on that Steam account forever. Not even a Bone of Order fixes that poo poo, like it would anyway.

In addition to the other problems, I think this release hasn't been a very good one considering you can get a VAC ban for a graphics mod.

It is? I thought people said it was safe. Huh.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

rear end-Haggis posted:

Yeah, any sort of injector can get you VAC banned apparently. So not everyone who gets canned by VAC was going for :sicknasty: headshots in CS with an aimbot and even worse is if you get a VAC ban that's it. They won't even consider looking into it ever no matter what for any reason. Much as people laud Valve they have literally zero customer service in most cases.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

rear end-Haggis posted:

VAC bans are for anything that modifies anything while the game is running. Intercepting and modifying a video feed is caught by VAC. This is something that Steam/VAC does, not something From opted for. You used an optional mod that violates things that VAC looks at and you're upset that VAC caught it.

I'm not saying that graphic mods should be banned, but don't blame From for you getting caught by VAC when VAC is working as it does.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

rear end-Haggis posted:

Are you sure the mod was the cause? I thought VAC bans usually take a few weeks to kick in, so as to minimize the time correlation with the actual cheats involved.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

rear end-Haggis posted:

Bone of Order is basically your second chance for the "we notice you've been disconnecting a lot, you're losing online privileges on this character" pseudo-ban. It is not meant to fix a proper ban (i.e. the one that affects your account) on console or PC.

Also VAC bans are heavily delayed and as far as I know no ban wave has happened on PC yet. Are you sure you don't have a prior VAC ban?

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. Sometimes a man just wants some bloom, some cool effects and some pretty things, and even if more than a perccent of people who played get VAC'd nothing will happen and all those bans will stick. Oh well, time to fellate myself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

VAC bans are for anything that modifies anything while the game is running. Intercepting and modifying a video feed is caught by VAC. This is something that Steam/VAC does, not something From opted for. You used an optional mod that violates things that VAC looks at and you're upset that VAC caught it.

I'm not saying that graphic mods should be banned, but don't blame From for you getting caught by VAC when VAC is working as it does.

The guy that made the mod has a disclaimer about it, too. If this really does gets you banned that's a shame but you know the risks when you install you.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

rear end-Haggis posted:

Actually the server was messed up and you're a huge loving baby.

You'd know if you had a vac ban because you steam account would say you have a vac ban on record, it wouldn't slightly mess with the online in a game and not tell you.

If you're vac banned in DSII you cannot go online at all, you get no ghosts, no bloodstains, no messages. At all. The game starts and goes to offline mode.

RobertDowneyJr
Mar 27, 2013
Question. It doesn't seem like there's any Dex weapons that can actually do damage.
Are the katanas any good?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Actually the server was messed up and you're a huge loving baby.

You'd know if you had a vac ban because you steam account would say you have a vac ban on record, it wouldn't slightly mess with the online in a game and not tell you.

If you're vac banned in DSII you cannot go online at all, you get no ghosts, no bloodstains, no messages. At all. The game starts and goes to offline mode.
This is even funnier than getting mad about what should have been an expected VAC ban.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 4, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Except they look at if it was actually a cheat, or ENB or SweetFX. They don't ban for those.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kimmalah posted:

There's aren't really any holes

There definitely are, though. I don't know how many, but I felt into one while I was approaching the cave entrance where the bonfire is after the first area with the spell-slinging priests. It definitely wasn't me falling off the edge because it was circular depression cavity in the middle of otherwise solid ground.

And Cast Light definitely helps in this area, especially if you're gonna get some of the stuff that's off the main path.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 4, 2014

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Alright so I just beat the game today. Is there anything I should do before heading off to NG+? I think I should be a free boss weapon... you think the Defender/Watcher shield is better than the one McDuff sold me?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got the Faraam set! It looks better on the box art though; now I'm using a mix of elite knight's, royal swordsman's, and faraam's pants. Also gently caress the sentinels respawning. :argh:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

torsoboy posted:

Alright so I just beat the game today. Is there anything I should do before heading off to NG+? I think I should be a free boss weapon... you think the Defender/Watcher shield is better than the one McDuff sold me?

Do Navlaan's side quest unless you pulled the lever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

torsoboy posted:

There are a few optional bosses that open up near the end of the game. May as well get any spells/weapons you think you'll want and stock up on titanite from the merchants. There's also the gestures if you care about that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No they arent. Torches allow you to see where the dropoff is.

So does tilting your camera slightly so you can see the contrast between the shallows and the deep water. I didn't drown in the anime shrine once and I didn't need a torch. I'd much rather keep my left hand free and not piss of the snorks in the process.

RBA Starblade posted:

Got the Faraam set! It looks better on the box art though; now I'm using a mix of elite knight's, royal swordsman's, and faraam's pants. Also gently caress the sentinels respawning. :argh:

As far as I'm concerned that is the worst room in the game. Open the wrong door? gently caress you, have a sentinel. A sentinel that respawns and can't be avoided. Open the wrong door again? Have ANOTHER sentinel. God forbid you open ANOTHER wrong door, then its like fighting the Ruin Sentinels all over again!

That room was designed with pure spite in mind.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
OK, what's the trick for the optional King Vendrick fight? I keep circle strafing around to his back, which works until he jumps away and smacks me with the low sweeps. Faith/Str character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BabelFish posted:

OK, what's the trick for the optional King Vendrick fight? I keep circle strafing around to his back, which works until he jumps away and smacks me with the low sweeps. Faith/Str character.

That is the trick. Don't deplete your stamina so you can roll when you need to and stay behind him. He'll almost never jump away and his sweep isn't hard to stay away from, especially when you're behind him. He does a lot of damage but that's about all he has going for him.

No seriously just stay behind him at all times.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Looks like i was getting shield broken. This game. With respect to the faraam set. It seems sort of weak considering its location. The drangleig set and headless dudes sets appear earlier and seem to be far superior i stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Labyrinth ahead", warns an otherworldly traveler, long past. Moving slowly, I open the door, shield at the ready. The room is little more than 10 square feet, only decorated with a message from another traveler from beyond. "Horse but hole", it reads. Wise words indeed.

Internet Kraken posted:

As far as I'm concerned that is the worst room in the game. Open the wrong door? gently caress you, have a sentinel. A sentinel that respawns and can't be avoided. Open the wrong door again? Have ANOTHER sentinel. God forbid you open ANOTHER wrong door, then its like fighting the Ruin Sentinels all over again!

That room was designed with pure spite in mind.

I opened all of them!

e: Can I summon support for the twin pursuers after beating the dragonriders?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Much easier on the eyes to use a torch, and I didn't even notice it aggroed the water mofos. They die so fast anyway.

RBA Starblade posted:

I opened all of them!

I farmed that entire room until the Sentinels stopped spawning. :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wish they would just remove the Token Of Fidelity requirement for duelling other Blue Bros. :(

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

No seriously just stay behind him at all times.

More specifically stay behind his left foot. Nothing he does can hit you. At that point your biggest obstacle is if he backs up to a wall and you have to reposition for a bit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wish they would just remove the Token Of Fidelity requirement for duelling other Blue Bros. :(
It's pretty dumb considering the primary way of obtaining them is through assisting which gets gradually more difficult the more you assist.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

BabelFish posted:

Everyone seems to love dodging, but I've always two-handed a Gyrm Greatshield +10 and tanked his hits, then snuck in quick slices on his right knee after he finishes combos. Hug his right leg (your left) and carefully manage your stamina. Fight ultra-conseratively. That's the only way I've ever managed to beat him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I farmed that entire room until the Sentinels stopped spawning. :shepface:

I opened the right door on my first try, then opened the rest and farmed them until they stopped spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

BabelFish posted:

Don't lock on.

Go naked.