Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I...I enjoy botes. :ohdear:

As do I! :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It's a much better system for punishing than for bonusing.

It has much more effect for dropping below 10 men.
Take your basic motostrelki for instance. Their AK-74 has a base reload of 6s. Machineguns don't change (to my knowledge), but if they did the results would be fairly similar, just exaggerated a bit more.

2men He/s=0.08
truereload 30s

5men HE/s=0.10
truereload 12s

10men HE/s =0.13
truereload 6s

15men HE/s = 0.14
truereload 4s

100men he=0.17
truereload = 0.6s

For reference, W.German line infantry, Jagers, do about 0.17HE/s

The bonus is basically all in the hitpoints.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ghostmonkey posted:

I tried my hand at making a USSR Armored deck:

What do you guys think?

First is there a reason you made this a 1980 deck? That's really hurting you for very little payoff. I tend to think this deck has far too many tanks to ever use, and could use some more cheap stuff in other roles. The number one reason to change would be the ability to get BMP3s, which are amazing. Here's the USSR deck (no specialty) that I use. jvAZoaKpLUKFOrzNDXmaHMKZ7DEuiwfMCuXBIiBUuIYWNGGZUKRDpCykpT1oBUk4kYOMQ7IIlSkpCS9M4QPE1GBU6Sj8

Edit: The code you exported is not the same as the deck you took a picture of--you exported the default soviet battlegroup deck.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 2, 2014

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Eh...it has T80UM in it I am pretty sure it is not era'd. For tank deck you should really have something cheap and durable like the basic T55 or T62 if you can stand the speed. Forget about infantry. Use your cheap tank to almost completely replace it's function. Avoid rough terrains occupied by enemy infantry at all cost in the early game. Keep a picketing force of a tank or two 1km outside the forest and call it contained for now. Get spetznas and use them to capture forest you absolutely needs but that's it. Don't get bogged down. As long as they don't have ATGM, holed up infantry cannot project firepower. Cut them off and deal with them later.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 2, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Just driving around towns isn't usually an option as a practical matter, even when there aren't ATGMs.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Eh...it has T80UM in it I am pretty sure it is not era'd. For tank deck you should really have something cheap and durable like the basic T55 or T62 if you can stand the speed. Forget about infantry. Use your cheap tank to almost completely replace it's function. Avoid rough terrains occupied by enemy infantry at all cost in the early game. Keep a picketing force of a tank or two 1km outside the forest and call it contained for now. Get spetznas and use them to capture forest you absolutely needs but that's it. Don't get bogged down. As long as they don't have ATGM, holed up infantry cannot project firepower. Cut them off and deal with them later.

As an aside, the cheap BMP-1s are excellent IFVs for armor-heavy decks because the HEAT and missile let them contribute to the tank battle and the RPM lets them help out your infantry. It's also very important that you have good smoke micro with the armor deck, because it lets your ignore forests/towns/ATGMs.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Just driving around towns isn't usually an option as a practical matter, even when there aren't ATGMs.

That's map dependant and opportunity is more common than one would expects but yes that's why tank deck sucks :).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 2, 2014

Ghostmonkey
Mar 22, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

First is there a reason you made this a 1980 deck? That's really hurting you for very little payoff. I tend to think this deck has far too many tanks to ever use, and could use some more cheap stuff in other roles. The number one reason to change would be the ability to get BMP3s, which are amazing. Here's the USSR deck (no specialty) that I use. jvAZoaKpLUKFOrzNDXmaHMKZ7DEuiwfMCuXBIiBUuIYWNGGZUKRDpCykpT1oBUk4kYOMQ7IIlSkpCS9M4QPE1GBU6Sj8

Edit: The code you exported is not the same as the deck you took a picture of--you exported the default soviet battlegroup deck.

My mistake, I fixed the export string. I feel like I could use that many tanks, but mostly I took the specialization for the veterancy bonuses (which aren't very impressive anymore).

OctaMurk posted:

As an aside, the cheap BMP-1s are excellent IFVs for armor-heavy decks because the HEAT and missile let them contribute to the tank battle and the RPM lets them help out your infantry. It's also very important that you have good smoke micro with the armor deck, because it lets your ignore forests/towns/ATGMs.

pedro0930 posted:

That's map dependant and opportunity is more common than one would expects but yes that's why tank deck sucks :).

I'm doomed. :negative:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Does anybody else wish Italy had been added just for the Centauro?

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The server changes from LA to San Fran.

It's also basically the exact distance between the cities. It's kinda cool that the two of them align pretty perfectly along a great circle route from China.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

xthetenth posted:

It's also basically the exact distance between the cities. It's kinda cool that the two of them align pretty perfectly along a great circle route from China.

The internet does not send its signals along great circles, but rather along cables that travel between hubs :eng101:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The internet does not send its signals along great circles, but rather along cables that travel between hubs :eng101:

uhh i am pretty sure it uses tubes, dude

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
One thing I know for sure is it isn't a big truck, because only command squads get those now

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hubis posted:

uhh i am pretty sure it uses tubes, dude

what is a cable but a really small tube.

covered in insulation.

so i guess it goes through really tiny pool noodles.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Enjoy posted:

One thing I know for sure is it isn't a big truck, because only command squads get those now

Recon too!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Speedtest.net gives geographical numbers unless there's a direct pipe from south central Pennsylvania to Cape Town from the time I checked whether or not their number follows internet topography or great circle routes. (No I am the sperglord :goonsay:)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ted Stevens sighed as he drew his katana...

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ghostmonkey posted:

My mistake, I fixed the export string. I feel like I could use that many tanks, but mostly I took the specialization for the veterancy bonuses (which aren't very impressive anymore).

Armored decks are worthless in RD because they stack bonuses into a largely meta-irrelevant unit type, and the overall reduction in veterancy across the board means they can't even get anything at elite.

They also lost the useful support units that made having a weak infantry presence bearable in ALB.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
So I made a couple of dumb decks for the heck of it!

A US Airborne deck
BrCxZMwEepbI9MD1EnEYBaAwDCqZ2FUzvJqneSsA8lqJ5LU7DKokbbAKQBdLs52mLjdaiqxZpSkzSZpSEJCEvaWM6aoOS/qDVRCohUEpKcnOUkspoV2YbiA=

and a Polish Airborne deck.
lrAtELQZmyEpPEJsg4TZBwmyEhNllCTLKg2ikJtFITk8Qk3tb2uCXBLeJvE3gQLlsS7yJhEwhHQjoly25ocvyZicnuOJGKihSogXTiuI04icRy2A

Funnily enough, I feel like the Polish one is stronger than the US one. I know I must have made a bunch of silly choices in both decks, but is Polish Airborne really that good?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Armored used to be one of the decent restrictions, but I think that you can do better with an unrestricted deck that focuses on tanks right now. The limitations on what you're allowed to bring got stricter while armor got more fragile.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Cheap (like ten point) tanks are really good right now for jamming poo poo up in urban combat and providing expendable support when you have to play Attack the Block.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Let's lobby for the removal of fuel (RD edition) again. It's dumb since EE (to the point where they just rise autonomy across the board for many units with low autonomy over the years anyways). All it does it stifling maneuver and offense (all intrinsically Good Things in RTS), and makes a handful of units atrocious to use because they literally need refuel immediately after arriving at the front-line unless you want to get stuck with no fuel 30 seconds later. Not to mention with the scale of Wargame where most even the larger map is only 50km across, autonomy would be a complete non-factor if not for the way it is implemented.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 3, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Botes for life brother, botes for life.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

General Boattuta posted:

We won't judge.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Arglebargle III posted:

We won't judge.

If sailing four or five zippo ships up behind a pubbie zone as you assault it through smoke from the front doesn't give you a raging boner, you have missed out big time.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Deptfordx posted:

Botes for life brother, botes for life.

Boooooaaaaataaah brothahs!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In monitors i trust!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

http://perfectumlab.com/gallery/panorams/tours/military/t80bv/?h=290.04&v=0.69&f=151.00&l=commander&m=view_fisheye

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ghostmonkey posted:

Here's a replay with an armored deck employing the general strategy I outlined.
http://alb-replays.info/rdbeta/php/api.php?download=382

This is the deck I used:

DjCUwLp8eokR8RIj4i0HZZcOzJTOGMDGFC8R0QkELzNhmxDujAQvp81pSHMzch1Q5KeUN4u0YMLDFmSNhICjxYKLuYzsZ2MrGYA=

This is actually the third game using this deck. First game I used a lot of Scorpions and Chieftain MK.2, but find their firepower to be grossly insufficient. These two vehicles should be backed up by either Milan 2 teams or a Challenger or two to be effective. The next game I got rid of all the Scorpions to get some MK.11, which worked decent enough, although it was a fairly unusual game with very conservative opponent and there was only skirmishes before the game ends.

Striker can probably be dropped for something else. In all three games I played I opt to get pairs of Milan 2 teams when I need extra AT power. Another observation is that single mortar is surprisingly effective at laying down smoke. I think I'll consider bringing 2 single mortars in future games.

I think UK might not be a good choice for armor deck due to their slow tanks. But NATO tanks are kind of poorly armored at the price point I want (30-40pt). I am going to try similar thing using a US deck later with Rise Patton or just less M1IP instead.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How in God's name do you kill Li Jian :(

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The same way you kill all infantry in Red Dragon. 2000lb bombs.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Napalm. Napalm tanks. Fallschirmjägers in the same city block so they can't use their napalm rockets. Waves of reservists so they run out of napalm rockets. Helicopter rockets.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Throw empty transports at them, they'll waste all their napalm rockets tickling them to death 1 health bar at a time instead of stomping on your infantry.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TsarZiedonis posted:

Throw empty transports at them, they'll waste all their napalm rockets tickling them to death 1 health bar at a time instead of stomping on your infantry.

Empty truck drivers are the true heroes.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I prefer empty APC's, with naught but a single machine gun on them they really are only useful for soaking up ATGM's and tank fire.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
And now that the 1AV damage boost is gone, they can often eat two shots before dying.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I opened the game and caught this perfect wild-type specimen

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

General Battuta posted:

How in God's name do you kill Li Jian :(

Not with infantry.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I've always wondered who was the guy working on character sets that said "No no no, we can't ship this yet. There's no way to type a swastika!"

Or why you wouldn't disable it as a developer when your last two games were full of people spamming Nazi poo poo in chat :eugen:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Confucius once say: "Iron bomber best special forces"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

General Battuta posted:

These games include a swastika but lack ☭. :|

• Locked thread