Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Which has what to do with my point?

Tesla's means of doing business haven't actually been restricted at all. The storefronts were just that, pointless empty fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Isn't aluminum much more energy-intensive to manufacture?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fried Chicken posted:

It is a big step towards improvement on gas efficiency, which was the "feature" the Tesla is pushing. Even if you don't like that there are other parts of tesla (eg the manufacturing process) they are looking to take from so the point stands.

Again, I'm not sure I buy that. People are going to looking at Tesla and how they made the Model S, but the fuel-economy push has been coming from a lot of places, including new DOT mandates and other more traditional automakers. Mazda has really been pushing lighter weight, for example, and in the subcompact category everyone wants to reach 40 mpg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

Isn't aluminum much more energy-intensive to manufacture?
Aluminium requires a great deal of energy to extract from ore originally, but is much easier to recycle. This is why even Penn and Teller, I believe, had to grudgingly acknowledge that recycling drink cans was worth it. We have a poo poo ton of aluminum laying around already, helpfully enough.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nessus posted:

Aluminium requires a great deal of energy to extract from ore originally, but is much easier to recycle. This is why even Penn and Teller, I believe, had to grudgingly acknowledge that recycling drink cans was worth it. We have a poo poo ton of aluminum laying around already, helpfully enough.

I remember that episode. Why are we recycling glass and paper? Are we running out of trees and sand? Metal I can see, because mining it may be much harder than getting it from trash piles.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I've been interested to see makers re-discover "adding lightness" but thought aluminum might be a dead end as far as reducing carbon emissions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cimber posted:

I remember that episode. Why are we recycling glass and paper? Are we running out of trees and sand? Metal I can see, because mining it may be much harder than getting it from trash piles.
Isn't it partially to get people to recycle other things and partially to reduce the size of giant trash piles?

Like, the tradeoff is "more energy spent recycling" versus "even larger trash piles everywhere", right?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Aluminum didn't become widespread until electricity because of the process to smelt it. Gotta zap that poo poo. So yeah it's energetically expensive to get the metal from ore.

Good thing there's huge amounts of recycled stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cimber posted:

Glass containers can often just be directly reused if they're intact and washed out, and I think melting them down is marginally cheaper too. Remember our ancestors who would return empty bottles for the deposit. That deposit was basically 'renting a piece of glassware.'

As for paper I suppose it depends. They used to just cut down any old forest for pulp; nowadays I gather that stuff comes from monocultured tree farm areas, for better or worse. Discarded paper also takes up space in landfills, and it might be a nuisance to burn, so why not reprocess it if you can?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cimber posted:

It is efficient to recycle paper and glass, but not necessarily to generate the same product.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nessus posted:

Glass containers can often just be directly reused if they're intact and washed out, and I think melting them down is marginally cheaper too. Remember our ancestors who would return empty bottles for the deposit. That deposit was basically 'renting a piece of glassware.'

As for paper I suppose it depends. They used to just cut down any old forest for pulp; nowadays I gather that stuff comes from monocultured tree farm areas, for better or worse. Discarded paper also takes up space in landfills, and it might be a nuisance to burn, so why not reprocess it if you can?

the chemicals that are needed to bleach paper, pulp and reuse paper are terrible.

or not. I read that somewhere, but according to this its actually better to recycle. huh, color me informed.
http://sciencefocus.com/qa/recycling-paper-bad-environment

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SedanChair posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I've been interested to see makers re-discover "adding lightness" but thought aluminum might be a dead end as far as reducing carbon emissions.

I think it's a bit more labor-intensive to work into bodywork and chassis and so forth, and is also a bit more fragile and expensive to fix, but if a truck that moves as many units as the F-150 can make it work, the costs could come down a bit.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I've seen quite a bit of outrage on fb about this.

News-Observer posted:

LENOIR, N.C. — Caldwell County school officials say they won't be using a mock test that offended some students this week.

School spokeswoman Libby Brown says a quiz called "The Chitling Test" was used in an advanced psychology class at a Lenoir high school that focuses on "individual differences."

Brown says the test was not graded and was more of an exercise that was followed by a class discussion.

She says the teacher's choice of the name "The Chitling Test" and its content offended two African-American students.

Brown said Superintendent Steve Stone thinks the test was inappropriate. The school system is investigating the matter.

Stone met Thursday with several parents, NAACP members and African-American clergy.

Link

Not sure that I understand why people are upset about this. The spokeswoman says it was given as an exercise in an advanced psych class(reportedly to highlight bias in testing), but I may be missing something, or maybe no context was given and they were just asked to take the quiz.

I get that the test itself is racist, but using it as an (historical)example seems like it should be ok.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hamster_style posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I've seen quite a bit of outrage on fb about this.

Link

Not sure that I understand why people are upset about this. The spokeswoman says it was given as an exercise in an advanced psych class(reportedly to highlight bias in testing), but I may be missing something, or maybe no context was given and they were just asked to take the quiz.

I get that the test itself is racist, but using it as an (historical)example seems like it should be ok.
You're seriously surprised that they are upset? They must have seen it coming, I'd almost assume that people getting angry was somehow part of the experiment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cimber posted:

the chemicals that are needed to bleach paper, pulp and reuse paper are terrible.

or not. I read that somewhere, but according to this its actually better to recycle. huh, color me informed.
http://sciencefocus.com/qa/recycling-paper-bad-environment

They can be terrible, but so are the chemicals used in making paper from scratch in the first place. :eng101:

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're seriously surprised that they are upset? They must have seen it coming, I'd almost assume that people getting angry was somehow part of the experiment.

No, not really. I mean my gf is the one who pointed it out and was like "holy poo poo did you see the thing about that racist test they gave students in Lenoir!?". Then I read the news stories about it and had a hard time figuring out what the deal was. Like, ok they gave an advanced psych class a test which was used in the past to highlight bias in testing. Is it racist, yeah, but isn't that the point that they're highlighting?

I'm giving everyone involved too much credit aren't I? It is NC's education system after all.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

You forgot about the one right next to that quote, where some loving piece of goddamn slime threatened to burn his store down.

That's just the invisible match of the free market at work.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

In the country I live in this is still extremely common.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So is the banhammer ever going to fall in GBS? Because I haven't been back in a while but thought "Ah what the hell" and just waded into a Benghazi thread and promptly found myself swimming in a sea of poo poo. I crawled out, disorientated, and have to ask myself, "What the gently caress just happened?"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Boon posted:

So is the banhammer ever going to fall in GBS? Because I haven't been back in a while but thought "Ah what the hell" and just waded into a Benghazi thread and promptly found myself swimming in a sea of poo poo. I crawled out, disorientated, and have to ask myself, "What the gently caress just happened?"

i think things went south for you when you got into politics in GBS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cimber posted:

i think things went south for you when you got into politics in GBS.

I remember a time in GBS when it wasn't FYAD in grey and white. Am I mis-remembering things?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boon posted:

I remember a time in GBS when it wasn't FYAD in grey and white. Am I mis-remembering things?

That was the old GBS. Its dead now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Boon posted:

Wow, everyone look at this post from November

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
which politicians do yall think miss old gbs, in th eunited states

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

hobbesmaster posted:

That was the old GBS. Its dead now.

You can only have so many "Hey, look at this unremarkable thing from a layman's perpective" threads before you get bored of people making the same jokes about there actually being a smaller safe inside.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Swan Oat posted:

which politicians do yall think miss old gbs, in th eunited states

With 2014 being an intense year in politics, we should bring back LF until the elections are over. lovely house be damned, these threads aren't going to suddenly start going uphill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cheekio posted:

With 2014 being an intense year in politics, we should bring back LF until the elections are over. lovely house be damned, these threads aren't going to suddenly start going uphill.

I personally hope they bring the GWS whiskey and cocktail threads into D&D, and rename the subforum to Drunk & Disorderly: Electoral Mixology.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

FAUXTON posted:

I personally hope they bring the GWS whiskey and cocktail threads into D&D, and rename the subforum to Drunk & Disorderly: Electoral Mixology.

That's "Electoral Marxology", thank you very much.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
bring back DPPH, merge it with D&D to create Debate and Dick Suckin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

This appears to be the most significant thing they've done besides the Bundy thing:

That terrible repressive Obama letting you post a billboard in the subway of the nation's capital. Underground because he can't let the truth see the light?
Also: What oath did Snowden have? He was a contractor he wasn't sworn in or anything! (And I SERIOUSLY doubt he was an "oathkeeper")
As a white male who used the military as a "fall back," it pisses me off to no end the level of privilege people (and myself) have and can't see. Being lower-middle class, then going to the military and learning what ACTUAL poverty (from the backgrounds of the people I met/befriended), was an eye opening experience. Now I'm in college with people who are of higher socioeconomic strata than I came from. They have no loving clue. Eat the rich.
House of Cards season 3 is getting out of hand.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Guys some really important footage coming out of the correspondent's dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Apparently Snowden was in the Reserves for a few months in 2004.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

House of Cards season 3 is getting out of hand.

I would really forgive the show all its wild misreads of the nature of politics if the season 3 premiere just does a cold open of mech combat in a burning urban dystopia. I'd be like "oh, OK yeah. Yeah! Yeah!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I would really forgive the show all its wild misreads of the nature of politics if the season 3 premiere just does a cold open of mech combat in a burning urban dystopia. I'd be like "oh, OK yeah. Yeah! Yeah!"

And then you'd begin to sob when you realized they were all using specially designed Smart Guns.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Caros posted:

And then you'd begin to sob when you realized they were all using specially designed Smart Guns.

So... Metal Gear?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Caros posted:

Even worse, the Mecha-marxists will capture Bush, who interrogate him. It will turn out he was just an idiot over his head after all.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qvy82U4RE

"Don't run. Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

skaboomizzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qvy82U4RE

"Don't run. Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV."

Good show. I don't even need to watch the video to know where that wonderful bit of upbeat nihilism came from.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Caros posted:

Capfalcon posted:

So... Metal Gear?

Mandatory EULA waiting periods.

EDIT:

cams posted:

Guys some really important footage coming out of the correspondent's dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac
Close enough to a transam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Even worse, the Mecha-marxists will capture Bush, who interrogate him. It will turn out he was just an idiot over his head after all.

There was a Margaret Thatcher in the original series universe. Is there a Bush in this one?

e:*gasp* is it cameo time? :swoon:

• Locked thread