Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Drakekeepers are motherfuckers, but they're also the second to last normal enemy in the game. Bust out your most bullshit tactics and push on through, you're almost to the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Golden Goose posted:

So when is From going to properly balance the Drakekeepers?

Who? The only bs fights I've found in the game were Amana casters from far away.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

bef posted:

Who? The only bs fights I've found in the game were Amana casters from far away.

He's talking about the guys who wear the clerics starting coat Actually the huge guys in the dragon shrine. Try poison arrows.

OG Necromancer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 4, 2014

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

DSauer posted:

The game has been released, which means From won't do anything short of correcting crash bugs; severe crash bugs only.

Yup, they're hard at work on Beast Souls now. Drangleic is already a distant memory...

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

Yup, they're hard at work on Beast Souls now. Drangleic is already a distant memory...

Didn't dark souls at least get a few updates that tweaked numbers and such? I'm still holding out hope they'll reduce the slash and pierce resistance of the enemies so the mace isn't godlike for no reason.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Baron O Beefdip posted:

He's talking about the guys who wear the clerics starting coat. I didn't have trouble with them because I was using the great club and just smashed the fuckers into the ground.

He's talking about the metal dudes in Dragon Shrine. The hammer wielding ones are bugged and don't pause between their combos.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

A 100% physical resist shield isn't going to help much, you do, however need to use it to get the hell away from the drakekeepers. Being a blocky tank sort is just not going to give you any openings for a attack. You need to wait until the assholes do a slow overhead swing and dodge to their left side (your right) and get in one hit and get the hell out of dodge. At all other times, stay away from them until they do the overhead smash. Don't bother if they're swinging poo poo around. They also have extremely limited leash ranges, so you can cheese the AI by going to leash range and hustling up when they start walking back to get a hit in.

I played melee with a greatsword with over 105 agility and medium roll and this was the only way I could take those jerks out. It also helps out immensely if you can get a co-op buddy with you

VV BUT THEIR LOOT DROPS! :smith:

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 4, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Domattee posted:

He's talking about the metal dudes in Dragon Shrine. The hammer wielding ones are bugged and don't pause between their combos.

I know its dumb to say but you can run past that whole area without having to deal with anyone.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bef posted:

Why would you modify your game in any way if you know its under VAC?

DS2 is essentially a MP game to some degree, but frankly I don't like pvp in general so I literally could care less.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bef posted:

I know its dumb to say but you can run past that whole area without having to deal with anyone.

Not really, the water slowed me down enough as a fast dex build that they kept catching up to me constantly.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

Not really, the water slowed me down enough as a fast dex build that they kept catching up to me constantly.

We're talking about the Dragon shrine, I made a mistake in saying it was the shrine of anime dudes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DSauer posted:

The game has been released, which means From won't do anything short of correcting crash bugs; severe crash bugs only.

They've already made balance changes since 1.0 though. In fact Dark Souls 1 had a pretty massive balance patch around the time the DLC was released, if you played PC only you wouldn't know that a lot of the stuff in there was modified. Of course the DLC introduced its own balance issues

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The mace fuckers are indeed absurd. They swing like what, every 0.75 seconds in a 2-swing overhead combo that has zero downtime it appears.

I mean honestly there are a few pretty big balance gently caress-ups currently in PVE alone, its a shame that they wont be fixed :( I cant imagine how much it must suck to go against Hexers etc for PVP, buddy tells me they're ridiculous.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

I am suddenly excited to pvp besides giving ratbros swirlies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dandywalken posted:

The mace fuckers are indeed absurd. They swing like what, every 0.75 seconds in a 2-swing overhead combo that has zero downtime it appears.

I mean honestly there are a few pretty big balance gently caress-ups currently in PVE alone, its a shame that they wont be fixed :( I cant imagine how much it must suck to go against Hexers etc for PVP, buddy tells me they're ridiculous.

+10 Dark infused Rebels Greatshield. What hexers?

Know what is annoying though? The super limited availability of Petrified Dragon Bones :argh:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

DSauer posted:

If you're coming off of Dark Souls PC and this is your opinion on the game, this isn't actually what From is like with their patches. From was actually extremely active about fixing bugs and re-balancing Dark Souls 1: it's just that the PC version came out like a year after the console version where all of the fine-tuning was done. Dark Souls 1 now is a completely different game numbers-wise than it was on release.

You can expect Dark Souls 2 to get a lot of balances and patches, especially since one of the things they're doing with their dedicated servers is doing stat fine-tuning. It's just that these will take time, and don't expect them to all get changed all at once.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Sanctum posted:

I decided to have my go at FASHION SOULS II:

How did I do? :ohdear:

Anyone with a Magic Shield is lookin' good. I always keep one ready for when I'm bellbroing.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

+10 Dark infused Rebels Greatshield. What hexers?

Know what is annoying though? The super limited availability of Petrified Dragon Bones :argh:

The ones you've been playing against obviously haven't realised yet that a dark infused washing pole with resonant weapon on it deals like 800 damage per hit

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

I wish you could somehow change the colour of the marble.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
please tell me the DaS1 last dragon from the dragon covenant is the mother of all these dragons

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Rebel's Greatshield almost feels unfair in PvP against casters, until I remember that all casters are easymode jerkdicks who one-shot me otherwise.

E:

Babyface Mingo posted:

please tell me the DaS1 last dragon from the dragon covenant is the mother of all these dragons

I don't think there are any mentions of that, unless you mean the big one in Dragon Shrine?

I think it's implied that the Ancient Dragon is Mendele Aldia. At the very least it's one of his creations, but he "disappeared" mysteriously when he was dabbling in dragon-creation and the actual dragon is dead in Brighstone Cove Tseldora. Neither of them looks a whole lot like the dragon from DaS.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 4, 2014

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Babyface Mingo posted:

Sadly, most signs point to the Ancient Dragon being a creation or reincarnation of Aldia, while the rest of the 'dragons' flying around are actually drakes/wyverns (two legs and wings, not four legs and wings like the Ancient Dragon). There is hope, however, as the Petrified Egg remains unbroken, and how else should a creature of stone be brought forth from?

The armor sets you have to grind for in this game are a pain in the rear end to get, but they look really nice.

Ruin Sentinel (Syan's Helm fits well with this set):

Catarina:

FYI for those having trouble getting Bonfire Ascetics: burning one in Soldier's Rest is a positive feedback loop if you use the 3 Cracked Red Eye Orbs to invade in the Chasm of the Dark, as the reward for a successful invasion there is an ascetic.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Finally beat Dark Souls 2, now Drangleic has the most stylish King yet:

It's a great successor to Dark Souls 1 overall I'd say. I haven't pre-ordered a game in ages but this one was definitely worth the extra money. Played the same type of character as in DS1, an agile warrior who two hands the biggest weapon he can find and doesn't believe in shields. The only thing I was disappointed in was Darklurker, the boss himself is great but the mechanics of getting to him is really dumb. I skipped him because of that, but I'll beat him in my next game as a hexer I guess.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Just fought double Pursuers. Right one despawned, left did not. Got the +2 ring. He despawned after I landed when the one on the left cursed me with his sword.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Scrree posted:

There is hope, however, as the Petrified Egg remains unbroken

Oh yeah, that closely guarded super-important thing that I stole for no particular reason and gave to a shady-rear end merchant who's probably going to make an omelette out of it to gain superpowers. Oops?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What was with him anyways? Aldia, I mean. He seems like the perfect subject for one of those awesome Dark Souls-lore Youtube vids :P

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Isn't the Ancient Dragon actually some science experiment on a Giant? It does drop a giants soul when you kill it.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
What's a good long reach weapon with fairly low stat requirements? I'm thinking I need to branch out a bit from hexing and use a poisoned weapon with good reach, as people with these are generally what consistently kill me in PVP.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Dandywalken posted:

What was with him anyways? Aldia, I mean. He seems like the perfect subject for one of those awesome Dark Souls-lore Youtube vids :P

Aldia was Vendrick's crazy scientist big brother. He set about trying to find a means of undoing the curse that didn't involve taking Nashandra's advice (a noble goal in itself), but got up to all sorts of sinister experimentation on those who suffered it. Many of the awful creatures you see around Drangleic can be traced back to him, like the sickle-wielding hulks (official name "artificial undead") and the exploding mummies (officially "undead citizens", which carries pretty horrific implications for what most of Vendrick's subjects became). Aldia's studies eventually led him towards research of the everlasting dragons, being an extremely prominent, though by now all but mythical, example of true immortals rather than cursed undead. As he and his assistants delved more and more into dragon research, their practices, already gruesome, took on a dark ritualistic aspect. Though there were several horrific failures in attempting to grant the power of dragons to humans (such as those gigantic water-dwelling undead creatures you see under the Lost Bastille, "enhanced undead"), they eventually got it right -- they produced dragons, though far lesser ones than the everlasting creatures from the Age of Ancients. They're the ones you see in Dragon Aerie.

But, it did not stop there -- they kept at it and eventually did manage to produce a human that was fully immortal and completely immune to the undead curse, but only one: Shanalotte, the Emerald Herald. Being the only one of her kind, she exists solely to guide the undead who come to Drangleic, in her own obtuse, awkward, raised-by-crazy-scientists-turned-dragon-cultists way.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 4, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tracula posted:

Isn't the Ancient Dragon actually some science experiment on a Giant? It does drop a giants soul when you kill it.

This is Dark Souls so I don't think it's ever really specified but yeah, experimentation on giants is how it came to be. He's either Aldia's creation or Aldia himself, Ashandra for example calls it a false deity and one of the items, don't recall which, mentions that Aldia disappeared while trying to recreate a dragon. If it's not the guy himself then I don't think there's any mention about where he disappeared or why.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kanfy posted:

This is Dark Souls so I don't think it's ever really specified but yeah, experimentation on giants is how it came to be. He's either Aldia's creation or Aldia himself, Ashandra for example calls it a false deity and one of the items, don't recall which, mentions that Aldia disappeared while trying to recreate a dragon. If it's not the guy himself then I don't think there's any mention about where he disappeared or why.

Regarding the Ancient Dragon: Vendrick used giant souls to augment his own power. If the theory that Aldia is the Ancient Dragon is correct, it can be assumed that he did what Vendrick did, only combined it with what he'd learned about dragons and applied it all to himself.

Oh yeah, I have a totally unrelated question: Is there anything that makes the Scimitar better than the Falchion at all? It's weird because you gain access to it later and it has higher stat requirements, but the actual numbers seem pretty underwhelming. What am I missing?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Mazed posted:

Oh yeah, I have a totally unrelated question: Is there anything that makes the Scimitar better than the Falchion at all? It's weird because you gain access to it later and it has higher stat requirements, but the actual numbers seem pretty underwhelming. What am I missing?

It has a different moveset. It's more vertical than the Falchion is.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Is there a lore reason why Vendrick is huge? Is it due to giant soul shenanigans or did FROM just want to make him intimidating?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Is it worth investing in the Homunculus club? I got it at +7 right now and need more titanite chunks, but thanks to the server problems, I haven't been able to bellbro to get some. :argh:

I really like how fast it is. I tried some of the bigger clubs (large, I think I just got great club) and while the damage is good, they seem just a little bit too slow. I feel like if I strike right after an enemy has hit, they are able to hit again at the same time.

I've tried some swords, but swinging a club just feels so good. Is there something in the same size range as Homunculus, but better?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ekster posted:

Is there a lore reason why Vendrick is huge? Is it due to giant soul shenanigans or did FROM just want to make him intimidating?

Giant Soul shenanigans. You'll notice the discarded armor in the room is matched to his size, and that you require those very same souls to better your chances of killing him. If you pull that off, go poke around the Shrine of Amana to find where he stashed his human-sized armor and his actual soul.

It's weird. This is probably the first time these games have such a clear reason for why an important NPC is conspicuously gigantic other than "isn't human".

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Metanaut posted:

Is it worth investing in the Homunculus club? I got it at +7 right now and need more titanite chunks, but thanks to the server problems, I haven't been able to bellbro to get some. :argh:

I really like how fast it is. I tried some of the bigger clubs (large, I think I just got great club) and while the damage is good, they seem just a little bit too slow. I feel like if I strike right after an enemy has hit, they are able to hit again at the same time.

I've tried some swords, but swinging a club just feels so good. Is there something in the same size range as Homunculus, but better?

The Craftsman's Hammer is pretty solid! Same moveset, roughly the same length, better damage and scaling.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
What's up with all these people standing back and letting "honorable" 1v1s go on in the Bell Tower. If you want a fair fight go be a ratbro gosh darn it! :argh:

Wonky stuff keeps happening with the souls I get for the Covenant fights though. On my last playthrough it was with the Rats, now with the Bells I notice out of the blue that I've earned about 100k more souls than I thought I had. No idea what level someone would have to be to give that many souls (or why they'd get matched up with me in that case).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Craftsman's Hammer is good, I used it for a while. sucks that it upgrades with twinkling titanite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Starting a new character?

Quick guide to having 4 estus flasks and a +4 weapon of your choice. Takes roughly 10 minutes after character creation to do.

It seems to help my friends new to dark souls have a less agonizing start.

- Head to Majula
- Hit rock into the well. Grab Estus Flask Shard.
- Talk to Emerald Herald, upgrade Estus flask.
- Head to Forest of the Giants.
- Kill your way to both bonfires, including the heide knight.
- Buy Blacksmith Key.
- Buy Firebomb.
- Head down the ladder.
- Fight/sprint way to black barrels, firebomb them.
- Rest at bonfire.
- Head through hole, to the tree branch ramp on the right.
- Jump down to the houses, jump over to the cave.
- Run and jump past the boulder, grab effigy.
- Talk to Cale, get key.
- Head to the exit near cale, roll off the wood back to the platform.
- Sprint and fall to the door of the building you jumped from.
- Run and jump over the wall to your left aiming at the gate.
- Grab titanite shard and jump over to the next island and climb the ladder back to the bonfire.
- Run upstairs, break door, grab chests, one containing an Estus Flask Shard.
- Fight your way through the hollow soldiers in the balista room and knock on the door downstairs.
- Open chest to get a large titanite shard.
- Homeward bone to bonfire/run back.
- Travel to Majula
- Open Blacksmith's door
- Grab titanite shard from cheesehat's shop.
- Open Mansion
- Grab 3x titanite shards upstairs
- Grab Estus Flask Shard and Soul Vessel downstairs
- Rest at bonfire.
- Buy 1 shard and Upgrade Estus and weapon of choice.

(Optional) - Grab the fire longsword in the 2nd cave on the ground level of the scaffolding just outside cardinal bonfire's door.

Congratulations, you now have a +4 weapon and 4x Estus Flasks for you to git gud with.