Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

It's weird. This is probably the first time these games have such a clear reason for why an important NPC is conspicuously gigantic other than "isn't human".

I can't recall any characters in Demon's Souls that were conspicuously gigantic. The only possible case I can think of offhand is False King Allant, and he was just a demon.

Mimetic posted:

What's up with all these people standing back and letting "honorable" 1v1s go on in the Bell Tower. If you want a fair fight go be a ratbro gosh darn it! :argh:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mimetic posted:

What's up with all these people standing back and letting "honorable" 1v1s go on in the Bell Tower. If you want a fair fight go be a ratbro gosh darn it! :argh:

I do this but personally I don't care about "honour", I just find one-sided 2v1s boring and unsatisfying for both parties involved.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

King of Solomon posted:

I can't recall any characters in Demon's Souls that were conspicuously gigantic. The only possible case I can think of offhand is False King Allant, and he was just a demon.

True I suppose. I have yet to actually play that one (I must, but dammit still just having too much fun with this one)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The flow of PvP depends on where I am. When I'm being a dick and invading in Drangleic I do my best to wedge myself behind enemies and do whatever I can to get the host distracted with PvE stuff while I swoop in for the kill. Best was invading someone with two phantoms trying to clear the sentinel room just to lightning bolt him in the back while distracted. Sure I'm being a cheap gently caress but if I invade I'm gonna do everything in my power to win, especially if they have backup.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kanfy posted:

I do this but personally I don't care about "honour", I just find one-sided 2v1s boring and unsatisfying for both parties involved.

Any reason you aren't a dragon, bloodbro, or sentinel? It seems like they'd be more up your alley (what with the invasion soapstones and arenas and all.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The only types of PvP that (in my opinion, obviously) require a semblance of honor are the duels. Dragon, red soapstone, and the two arenas, basically. Everything else is no holds barred.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Any reason you aren't a dragon, bloodbro, or sentinel? It seems like they'd be more up your alley (what with the invasion soapstones and arenas and all.)

Well I haven't actually been in Bell Keepers in a long while since I hit 100 victories in two days due to the crazy invasion rate but I don't see the big deal. I just found it boring to 2v1 since there was no way to lose 99% of the time, that's all.

Which reminds me that cracked eye orbs shouldn't let you invade worlds that already have phantoms in them, I'm convinced that over half the playerbase who boast about beating a Dark Souls game walk around with two phantoms in tow at all times considering how often I saw those white and yellow funslayers.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it feels fuckin' awesome when you kill two grey spirits by yourself, though. :black101:

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

Kanfy posted:

This really only irritates me when the host stands there and flasks right in front of the spectator, who does nothing. It's almost kind of funny, I've had hosts notice this bullshit and actually roll behind the other phantom as cover to heal.
I mean if you want to watch me get my rear end kicked 1v1 by some twinked out Resonant Weapon Washing Pole user, fine, but it's really kind of lovely when they're allowed to abuse their advantages while I'm hosed because I got stuck with the 'slow' partner who doesn't grasp that he's supposed to be making up for our lack of healing. Stop standing there like a mouth-breather while I'm chipped down by lovely hitboxes just barely nicking my rolls. :argh:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Man, poison mist is so good in pvp. Pubbies just can't seem to adapt to it and will start freaking out once the poison sets in. I guess when they see fire they don't expect a cloud of poison or something I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I really don't like the changes to humanity/summoning unless I'm missing something obvious as to how I summon people to help on a boss

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Still absolutely hilarious whenever someone uses this word when talking about a Souls game and PvP :allears:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 4, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jose posted:

I really don't like the changes to humanity/summoning unless I'm missing something obvious as to how I summon people to help on a boss

the basics of it are pretty much the same, you have to be human to summon someone, they don't have to be. the difference is that it's not tied to soul level anymore, it's tied to soul memory--or your overall souls collected. if you're not within a range of about 25% of each other then you can't summon. the name engraved ring, which can be purchased from the cat in Majula, makes it more likely for you to see the summon sign of your friends as long as you both select the same god, and I believe it also expands the soul memory range slightly.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kanfy posted:

Which reminds me that cracked eye orbs shouldn't let you invade worlds that already have phantoms in them, I'm convinced that over half the playerbase who boast about beating a Dark Souls game walk around with two phantoms in tow at all times considering how often I saw those white and yellow funslayers.

Look man I need my bros to keep my rear end from getting stabbed. But yeah I definitely feel better rolling with phantoms in the event that I get invaded.

gently caress invasions.

I like the idea of some random PvP to change things up. But man does it never play out nicely. Its either some dude stalling till mobs are on you letting them stab you in the rear end , or some one who is disgustingly min/maxxed while damned experienced just knocking you down. Then there's the super rare occasion of someone popping their first cracked red eye.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ThreeLeggedHyena posted:

This really only irritates me when the host stands there and flasks right in front of the spectator, who does nothing. It's almost kind of funny, I've had hosts notice this bullshit and actually roll behind the other phantom as cover to heal.
I mean if you want to watch me get my rear end kicked 1v1 by some twinked out Resonant Weapon Washing Pole user, fine, but it's really kind of lovely when they're allowed to abuse their advantages while I'm hosed because I got stuck with the 'slow' partner who doesn't grasp that he's supposed to be making up for our lack of healing. Stop standing there like a mouth-breather while I'm chipped down by lovely hitboxes just barely nicking my rolls. :argh:

It's cool, you can abuse your advantage most of the time anyhow so take it to the chin buddy~

(I live to gank bellbros)

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Baron O Beefdip posted:

He's talking about the guys who wear the clerics starting coat Actually the huge guys in the dragon shrine. Try poison arrows.

That, combined with plenty of lightning spears, is exactly what I did. I thought it shameful that that was the only viable tool I had for dealing with them. I do find it kind of ridiculous that the Drakekeepers are so clearly bugged - when you hit them in between combos (when there's actually a split second TO hit them), sometimes their tracking glitches out, and they twitch left and right rapidly while winding up for the next combo. It's almost like the game code itself disagrees with the way From decided to balance those guys. I will grant that the sword-and-board Drakekeepers seem mostly OK, but the mace wielders are so obviously overpowered it literally glitches the game out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

the basics of it are pretty much the same, you have to be human to summon someone, they don't have to be. the difference is that it's not tied to soul level anymore, it's tied to soul memory--or your overall souls collected. if you're not within a range of about 25% of each other then you can't summon. the name engraved ring, which can be purchased from the cat in Majula, makes it more likely for you to see the summon sign of your friends as long as you both select the same god, and I believe it also expands the soul memory range slightly.

Is there any better way to become human than burning a human effigy? Since that seems to lock me out of summoning for an hour which is a bit poo poo. I'm still really early into the game

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Drakes posted:

Look man I need my bros to keep my rear end from getting stabbed. But yeah I definitely feel better rolling with phantoms in the event that I get invaded.

gently caress invasions.

I like the idea of some random PvP to change things up. But man does it never play out nicely. Its either some dude stalling till mobs are on you letting them stab you in the rear end , or some one who is disgustingly min/maxxed while damned experienced just knocking you down. Then there's the super rare occasion of someone popping their first cracked red eye.

yeah Bell Keepers was the first time I've ever gotten really into PvP in one of these games. I was never a big fan of invasions, for the reasons you stated. I haven't had one happen in this game yet and I'm not looking forward to them in NG+.

Jose posted:

Is there any better way to become human than burning a human effigy? Since that seems to lock me out of summoning for an hour which is a bit poo poo. I'm still really early into the game

Ohhh there's your problem, you don't burn an effigy to become human. you just use it from your inventory. that change got me too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Drakes posted:

gently caress invasions.

Invasions against a host with some white phantom guardians are the best invasions. I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Drakes posted:

gently caress invasions.

I'm the Min/Max guy and it's actually why I like fighting people with phantoms more. I have like a 95% chance to kill the host if it's 1v1, but 3v1? Who the gently caress knows what will happen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah Bell Keepers was the first time I've ever gotten really into PvP in one of these games. I was never a big fan of invasions, for the reasons you stated. I haven't had one happen in this game yet and I'm not looking forward to them in NG+.

Ohhh there's your problem, you don't burn an effigy to become human. you just use it from your inventory. that change got me too.

Oh thanks I'd never have figured that out :v: Now I just need to wait for the timer to disappear since I burned it

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Studio posted:

I'm the Min/Max guy and it's actually why I like fighting people with phantoms more. I have like a 95% chance to kill the host if it's 1v1, but 3v1? Who the gently caress knows what will happen.

Topically, you PvP folks, what're some suggested builds? I'm still sussing out the mechanics of DS2 (got in late) and would like to be come King rear end in a top hat again.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So I've been summoned as a grey phantom, and now I'm stuck on the loading screen. Can I Alt-4 out of this without chancing a save corruption? I assume this is the rat covenant?

Thanks a lot ratfuckers.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Tracula posted:

Still absolutely hilarious whenever someone uses this word when talking about a Souls game and PvP :allears:

Wait, I thought it meant public players you don't know/not friends with. Is it an insult?

Also cheesing lightning spear is so wrong but feels so right. drat that's a powerful spell.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

King of Solomon posted:

:psyduck:

Ratbro can be quite fair, actually. Summoning them means they can't have sunbros to help them out. If you stand on in the middle of the room away from mobs and don't activate any traps it's a pretty even playing field. That's what I did during my time in the rat covenant, anyway.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Jose posted:

Oh thanks I'd never have figured that out :v: Now I just need to wait for the timer to disappear since I burned it

As an alternative option, if you have the white sign soapstone or small white sign soapstone (you can get both of these pretty early) just drop a sign and get summoned yourself! As long as you either kill a boss (with the regular soapstone) or are in the summoner's world long enough/kill enough stuff (with the small soapstone) you'll turn human. This saves you the human effigy and lets you learn bosses/areas with a lot less personal risk. It's also a lot of fun broing it up.

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

Fereydun posted:

It's cool, you can abuse your advantage most of the time anyhow so take it to the chin buddy~

(I live to gank bellbros)

Oh yeah, no, not at all complaining about their bein' able to heal here or saying I always need the 2v1, the bell arenas are both built around the idea that the host has a lot of places to evade and grab a second to dodge the hounds and pop a flask (the little hole room in Luna, all the columns in both, the ridges and rooftops in Sol,) I'm just saying it's really annoying when you're shackled with such a useless 'partner' the host starts using them as additional cover. :downs:

For what it's worth, I run both sides and rather enjoy the chase of being a bell target. My favourite, though, is when they have summons/when I can snag a summon, so it's two on two. Lots of hit and run and wearing them down - I'm sure not everyone likes that style, but when a bell just stands there like a 'tard to 'make it fair for me', I backstab 'em. I wish more hosts would do the same, heh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

As an alternative option, if you have the white sign soapstone or small white sign soapstone (you can get both of these pretty early) just drop a sign and get summoned yourself! As long as you either kill a boss (with the regular soapstone) or are in the summoner's world long enough/kill enough stuff (with the small soapstone) you'll turn human. This saves you the human effigy and lets you learn bosses/areas with a lot less personal risk. It's also a lot of fun broing it up.

Great I'll do that instead then once this burnt human effigy wears off. Do I need to be in game for the hour to run down or not?

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Tykero posted:

Topically, you PvP folks, what're some suggested builds? I'm still sussing out the mechanics of DS2 (got in late) and would like to be come King rear end in a top hat again.

Dunno about actual stat breakdown builds but the big three I guess "skill check" pvp builds are a hexer with Great Resonant Soul/Affinity/Dark Fog, powerstanced mundane or lightning Avelyns, and mashing r1 with a mundane or i guess raw? Santier's Spear. They're all easily countered (roll, strafe/roll and parry, respectively) but people without experience in pvp or bads will just get wrecked by them. There's also the spin-to-win running r1 with a halberd? I think? I never messed around with it but it's super dumb if you gently caress up your parry timing

Other than that, the like I guess default meta is to pick an element you like, infuse your weapon to that element and cast the applicable buff to crank the damage to nutty levels and just hope for a couple lucky hits. Ignore scaling entirely, go for weapon minimums and crank your casting (since elements now scale off stats) and defensive stats like vigor. Keep a curved sword in your offhand for it's gigantic parry window, go to town.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So in Drangelic castle, is there special dialogue for shooting at Nashranda when she's perched on the throne, or she's out of range?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poptart_fairy posted:

So in Drangelic castle, is there special dialogue for shooting at Nashranda when she's perched on the throne, or she's out of range?

Nothing happens at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

She's not even out of range, your arrows/spells just poof out of existence when they pass close to her. Not even a special effect or anything.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Its funny but i think summons are completely useless.
Against "SD" and the other boss fight that get a lot of summon attention, i feel solo is just better. A single white phantom buffs the boss so much its crazy. My only victories against SD and the other toughies were alone, and its comical to watch 3 stacks get murdered by these guys.I just guess Darksouls 2 hates sunbros.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Jose posted:

Great I'll do that instead then once this burnt human effigy wears off. Do I need to be in game for the hour to run down or not?

I looked this up and apparently you need to be in game, in the area in question for the timer to expire.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I love NG+, so many arbiter invasions. :allears: The longsword keeps murdering people because they can't figure out how to deal with the instant running attack it has.

Also totally rocked the Pursuer on his initial appearance again. That guy's a complete chump if you back away from him and parry his predictable rushing slash he does every time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 4, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tracula posted:

Nothing happens at all.

CJacobs posted:

She's not even out of range, your arrows/spells just poof out of existence when they pass close to her. Not even a special effect or anything.

Awww, I was hoping for Anor Londo type shenanigans.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Sydin posted:

Nothing like having your host die against Pursuer because the other phantom decided to ballista them in the face! :shepicide:

I swear the most dangerous thing about that fight isn't the boss: it's the phantoms/hosts who don't understand that the ballista can and will kill anything in front of it, allies included.

Nice ballistas you have here, would be a shame if someone baited a boss over to them and had him blow them up.

Mimetic posted:

It's silly, but this kind of thing also keeps cheating in the game at a lower level than it would be given how easy it is to hack without detection.

The character editor's pretty keen.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tykero posted:

Super lovely? Havels and DW Munda Avelyn with Ring of Blades +2, Sacred oath (Spice it to be usable). Then maybe a washing pole, Ricard's rapier, or whatever the better Chariot Lance is for backup.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
THE BELL TOWER
ATTEMPT NO
TRESPASSING THERE

Powerstanced whips own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Been having a lot of fun invading people as a naked character with 2 whips named DomLife. Only problem is I ran out of red orbs and don't want to go to the place where i can get the red soapstone.

Also every single person has 2 phantoms in tow, I didn't realize everyone just leveled with phantoms all the time. I only summon them right before a boss.