Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dan7el posted:

Well, we had him learn some skills from a book early on, but mostly, he's learned skills on his own. "I think I'll learn how to twist my mana into a rope." Ding. "You learned rope mana level 1."

Why doesn't he just go, "I think I'll learn how to summon an earth elemental? And squeeze his eyes shut and concentrate. Ding. You leaned level 1 Earth Elemental Summoning. Instead of buying books off of eBysmal-Bay?

Just a thought. Also, I'm surprised his mom is only level 15. I'm assuming that the LEGENDARY in front of that means something like, a Legendary level 15 is equal to a normal level 75 or something ridiculous. I hope, anyway.

It is curious why he can finally read her level, though. I wonder if she forgot to turn on her anonymous switch this morning? Maybe she changed sides from Horde to Alliance? Hard to tell.

I would like to see him up his baseball bat bludgeoning skills.

He's never been shown creating new skills from scratch like that. So far all of his created skills have been variants on stuff he already knew. He read a book to learn how to manipulate mana, then ran with that and created several specific applications of it.

The "skills" he makes are basically a specific application of knowledge that he already knows, set aside as its own thing. It's nothing that anyone wouldn't be able to do, he just gets a "hotkey" for it and his mastery of the skill is more quantified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm actually kinda surprised he didn't buy the slave girl to release her. Seems like something he'd do.

Also that's definitely not his mom.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised he didn't buy the slave girl to release her. Seems like something he'd do.

Also that's definitely not his mom.

Considering how much many of those magic books cost a slave would probably be pretty expensive, as in more than he could afford, I could see him doing it in the future or more likely going after the slavers once he is powerful enough.

And yeah, I'm awfully suspicious of his Mom's level and title suddenly showing up, the question is who would be strong enough to deal with his ?? level mom? The only people I can think of are the Abyss Auction or his friend's clan, but I don't think the clan are bad guys so that leaves the Abyss Auction guys or an unknown third party. Or we are just wrong entirely.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Considering how much many of those magic books cost a slave would probably be pretty expensive, as in more than he could afford, I could see him doing it in the future or more likely going after the slavers once he is powerful enough.

And yeah, I'm awfully suspicious of his Mom's level and title suddenly showing up, the question is who would be strong enough to deal with his ?? level mom? The only people I can think of are the Abyss Auction or his friend's clan, but I don't think the clan are bad guys so that leaves the Abyss Auction guys or an unknown third party. Or we are just wrong entirely.

She might just be a summon she has to take her place while she is out doing Abyss stuff.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ethiser posted:

She might just be a summon she has to take her place while she is out doing Abyss stuff.

Huh, that would make some sense, they even introduced the idea of minions/pets this chapter. Of course they also introduced the idea of magically bound slaves, so one could take that idea in much more ominous directions. :v:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The Gamer, Character Sheet
Just a basic list, nothing fancy. Put this in the OP if you want. The character levels shown aren't necessarily up to date as they change over time. I basically got screenshots of the first time they showed up.

Han Jee Han -- our protagonist and hero.

Shin Sun Il -- our hero's best friend.

Han Jung Sook -- Jee Han's mom.

Kwan Shi Yun -- a girl with red hair. She's angry and doesn't like Hwan Sung Gon.

Hwan Sung Gon -- some high level guy. He's a father and a teacher. I'm pretty sure he's evil because he wears sunglasses.

Do Gi Hyun -- I don't know if this bears repeating, but he's a man of justice. He is a passionate teacher, and level 15.

Poong Sae Young Sun Il's cousin. Tae Kwon Do champion.

Shin Sun Oh -- He's Shin Sun Il's grandfather and a heavyweight in the martial arts and magical word. I just call him "The Big Oh".

Hwan Sung Ah -- The evil father/teacher/sunglasses dude's daughter. She's sick, sort of.

Sung Ma Hyun -- He runs the Abyss' eBay.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
We haven't seen anyone's displayed name be different than the one they gave, have we? The talk about his mom makes me wonder if the names are absolutely true or whether they're just indicative of what the character wants to be called.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan7el posted:

The Gamer, Character Sheet
Just a basic list, nothing fancy. Put this in the OP if you want. The character levels shown aren't necessarily up to date as they change over time. I basically got screenshots of the first time they showed up.

Han Jee Han -- our protagonist and hero.

Shin Sun Il -- our hero's best friend.

Han Jung Sook -- Jee Han's mom.

Kwan Shi Yun -- a girl with red hair. She's angry and doesn't like Hwan Sung Gon.

Hwan Sung Gon -- some high level guy. He's a father and a teacher. I'm pretty sure he's evil because he wears sunglasses.

Do Gi Hyun -- I don't know if this bears repeating, but he's a man of justice. He is a passionate teacher, and level 15.

Poong Sae Young Sun Il's cousin. Tae Kwon Do champion.

Shin Sun Oh -- He's Shin Sun Il's grandfather and a heavyweight in the martial arts and magical word. I just call him "The Big Oh".

Hwan Sung Ah -- The evil father/teacher/sunglasses dude's daughter. She's sick, sort of.

Sung Ma Hyun -- He runs the Abyss' eBay.

What about the Witch and her partner? I actually have completely forgot when they first showed up.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I don't recall it being mentioned, but the MC's mother had a slightly different name display when her title and level became visible. In the panel comparison of her previous ??? title/level and current level 15 Legendary Housewife status, the previous one has Jung Sook displayed, but the newer one has JungSook displayed. If this isn't a typo (it very well could be), it's a very curious detail.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I don't recall it being mentioned, but the MC's mother had a slightly different name display when her title and level became visible. In the panel comparison of her previous ??? title/level and current level 15 Legendary Housewife status, the previous one has Jung Sook displayed, but the newer one has JungSook displayed. If this isn't a typo (it very well could be), it's a very curious detail.

It's a different translator. Also from what little I understand Korean romanization systems are a GIANT mess.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

XboxPants posted:

It's a different translator. Also from what little I understand Korean romanization systems are a GIANT mess.

Yeah, translation quirk was a possibility I considered.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would love it if it was someone attempting an impersonation though. Much like I've had to deal with people trying to impersonate me on Steam to scam people out of TF2 hats, so too could this be a similar situation. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jeen Han did have a theory about the limits of his observation skill, didn't he? Something about N levels above him were marked as "???" so I'm banking on foul play this time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's already seen levels way above 15 so it's not like the level difference has evened out.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

He's already seen levels way above 15 so it's not like the level difference has evened out.

What's the highest level he's seen? Level 46 black-suit? I wonder what level he was then and what level he is now.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, the names do change, but I chalk that up to translation issues: Jun vs Jung and Sun vs Sung, etc.

The witch and her warrior don't get named. As far as I can tell. This is the best I can do:

Since they're not named, I left them out. Same with the two guys that attack Jee Han.

Heck, re-reading this, I just realized:

Not having a reference, I didn't know who Sung Ma-Hyun was. Now I do. So, "he moved"? What the hell does that mean? There is an implicit statement going on here, but I'm missing the meaning entirely. Anyone know?

Dr_Amazing posted:

XboxPants posted:

What's the highest level he's seen? Level 46 black-suit? I wonder what level he was then and what level he is now.
Yeah, I think Hwan Sung Gon (level 46 or so), is the highest he's seen, but we have only seen that his mom, Shin Sun Oh, and Sung Ma Hyun were the only other ????. That's not a lot. I would guess he can see higher than 46, but we're just not seeing that he's found many people in the gap range between 46 and ????.

As far as him mom goes, something obviously changed. I wonder if there is some translation issue going on here though because her level isn't what I expected, at all.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 4, 2014

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dan7el posted:

Well, the names do change, but I chalk that up to translation issues: Jun vs Jung and Sun vs Sung, etc.

The witch and her warrior don't get named. As far as I can tell. This is the best I can do:

Since they're not named, I left them out. Same with the two guys that attack Jee Han.
I don't know if you've been reading the thread, but her name is clearly Noona.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jeen Han did have a theory about the limits of his observation skill, didn't he? Something about N levels above him were marked as "???" so I'm banking on foul play this time.
While that's probably the case because most of the functions for his ability work like Korean MMOs, it's very possible for the world to throw a curve ball and use other mechanics. For example, he might have a hidden detection sub-stat, and the sub-stat only just cleared his mom's obfuscation stat.

Most of the things our hero has come into contact with have been consistent with one style of game, but you never know when the world will find it really hilarious to start adding some unique features. Part of the fun of this comic is the exploration of the unknown cloaked in a familiar guise. Everything looks familiar and acts like something gamers are used to, but the exact nature of his ability is very unclear.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan7el posted:

Thanks, that makes total sense.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just realized something. The authors (what do they call manhwa authors in Korea? Manhwa-ka? hee hee) of this manhwa kind of screwed up. All the other characters are introduced with their levels above their heads. However, when Jee Han meets Noona and her wolf-hatted partner, and also the evil hunter dudes out for blood, there are no names or levels.

Get with the program, Sun Sang Youn and Sang Ah.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Dan7el posted:

Not having a reference, I didn't know who Sung Ma-Hyun was. Now I do. So, "he moved"? What the hell does that mean? There is an implicit statement going on here, but I'm missing the meaning entirely. Anyone know?

By "he moved", it just means he took action. Probably referring to him revealing himself with Jee-han, possibly as part of some larger plan.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

booksnake posted:

By "he moved", it just means he took action. Probably referring to him revealing himself with Jee-han, possibly as part of some larger plan.
Do they (witch and wolf-hat-man) even know who Jee-Han is, at this point? I think you have a point though. Obviously, something happened with the auction house that is causing them to act. I wonder if this has anything to do with Jee-Han's mom's level being revealed. I'll bet it does.

Correcting myself: The witch identifies as "The Witch of Massacre" in Chapter 34. That's not a name, yet it's something (a title). She calls wolf-hat "Dilon" in the same chapter. So, he's Dilon.

Also, if the guy in plate-mail and miniature wizard were F-rank, I wonder what rank Jee-Han is? Like, below the charts even? Z-ranked?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Dan7el posted:

Do they (witch and wolf-hat-man) even know who Jee-Han is, at this point? I think you have a point though. Obviously, something happened with the auction house that is causing them to act. I wonder if this has anything to do with Jee-Han's mom's level being revealed. I'll bet it does.

Correcting myself: The witch identifies as "The Witch of Massacre" in Chapter 34. That's not a name, yet it's something (a title). She calls wolf-hat "Dilon" in the same chapter. So, he's Dilon.

Also, if the guy in plate-mail and miniature wizard were F-rank, I wonder what rank Jee-Han is? Like, below the charts even? Z-ranked?

Jee-Han is just not specced for PVP, is all.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dan7el posted:

It's entirely possible her method of ranking is based entirely on potential. Hell that's a relatively normal benchmark for really strong/extraordinary people. When just about everyone is beneath you, you can stop worrying about who's currently a threat/ally and instead worry about upcoming threats/allies.

Basically, entirely likely those guys peaked and are still at grunt level. I'd question most ranking systems that would consider someone who seems to literally have limitless upward momentum and is already breaking reality and physical laws as being meaningless.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

dog kisser posted:

Jee-Han is just not specced for PVP, is all.

Well, this is sort of true. Jee-Han explicitly doesn't have much training against 'real' people, which his friend said is what makes the Abyss dangerous to him. Even if he can keep calm under pressure, they don't have inherently stupid actions like giant ogres that ignore all pain and charge blindly. Even if he had some of the strongest powers in the world, the grandfather would be right - he lacks experience in fighting, except against slow moving stupid zombies, stupid giant zombies, and stupid ogres.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Twiddy posted:

Basically, entirely likely those guys peaked and are still at grunt level. I'd question most ranking systems that would consider someone who seems to literally have limitless upward momentum and is already breaking reality and physical laws as being meaningless.

"limitless upward momentum"? Do Korean MMO's not have level caps?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shakugan posted:

"limitless upward momentum"? Do Korean MMO's not have level caps?

Even if they do, he hasn't been shown to have any limit on the number of skills he has. Maybe he'll max out his stats at some point, but he'd still be theoretically able to learn more skills, and level those, giving him more options if not straight up power.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I feel like Jee-Han could have killed those two. He bound them and got away really easily, while bringing a sick girl with him that doesn't exactly have good physical stats.

His problem was that he didn't want to kill, and he doesn't have like a stun ability. That's something he needs, something to bring a person down without killing them. Mana rope is good but clearly insufficient for people in the Abyss.

He is probably a mid D-rank? I don't know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope he hits a cap and has to start replacing skills. :allears:

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
To get past the level cap he must buy the expansion, which takes him to an alternate reality/the future/distant continent of America.

I hope he orders some expensive stuff from the Abyss and it turns out to be cosmetic.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
How punitive are death penalties in Korean MMOs?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

FrantzX posted:

How punitive are death penalties in Korean MMOs?

In the ones I've played, you just drop back down to 0% for the character's progress to the next level

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope he hits a cap and has to start replacing skills. :allears:
Really, discussing this series as almost as fun as where the author actually goes with it.

Yeah I might have been a bit presumptuous on his upward momentum being limitless, but he's already doing things that are impossible and noticeable and I can't imagine he's anywhere near endgame. I mean this is a Korean MMO, he's only been grinding for a few months.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Twiddy posted:

Really, discussing this series as almost as fun as where the author actually goes with it.

Yeah I might have been a bit presumptuous on his upward momentum being limitless, but he's already doing things that are impossible and noticeable and I can't imagine he's anywhere near endgame. I mean this is a Korean MMO, he's only been grinding for a few months.

You know it's endgame Korean MMO when the effects cover the screen with clutter and numbers.
And the buff icon line stretches across the screen.
And he's zipping everywhere on a dime.

Right now he has just simple effects. A mana arrow, rope, nothing really high-budget. By the end he's going to have a giant rotating back mandala and wings while he carries a three pronged giant mana sword that's on fire.

Just wait until he learns how to use macros.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A mana sword is a great idea for him actually. He has the Chunbumoon sword style stuff, and a really high Int which should modify the damage on the sword. Might be his ideal melee option?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
His ideal melee option is Summon Sun Il.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BlitzBlast posted:

His ideal melee option is Summon Sun Il.

Now I can avoid the mental image of Jee Han summoning Sun Il while he's taking a shower :haw:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems like Sung Gong is Jee Han's ideal build.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

He's needs to break the 'game' by finding something like DA's Arcane Warrior spec. 'Use Int in place of strength when determining what weapons or armor you can use'.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now I can avoid the mental image of Jee Han summoning Sun Il Poong Sae Young while he's taking a shower :haw:
Heh. I fixed that for you too.

I've been doing that a lot, lately.

Who wants to bet Jee Han summons an earth elemental and becomes friends with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dan7el posted:

Heh. I fixed that for you too.

I've been doing that a lot, lately.

Who wants to bet Jee Han summons an earth elemental and becomes friends with it?

The earth elemental is going to be a teenage girl.