Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Amberskin posted:

It seems I have found a Konolith

The MapSat mod is awesome

Is there an updated version of it? The only one I can find was updated in 2013 and I'm having trouble with mods that were updated as recently as a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

KSC rocket Styx-1 launched this morning with a three-point mission plan:

1) Land on the Mun
2) Pick up the stranded Bill Kerman
3) Get our boys back home

Styx-1 landed on the upper lip of a crater approximately 1000m from Bill and subsequently lost control. What happened next is under investigation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LnQCx7lc6s

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
^^^ He was a true scientist, collecting data to the very end. R.I.P.

In other news, Project Land on Everything In Career Mode took a huge leap forward today when I finally dropped a ship on Eeloo. It was an exciting journey that included a 15 minute real-time wait for Eeloo to get into the right position, a 12 minute real-time nuke rocket burn, a not-totally-intentional gravity turn around Jool, and finally touching down with 50 units of fuel left in the tank.

Only the moons around Jool that aren't named Pol remain unexplored, and I want to try building a massive multi-probe dropping monstrosity to get them all in one trip.

This game is awesome.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Just going through some of my old screenshots, I came across this one. A rover like this is perfectly stable on Minmus.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there an updated version of it? The only one I can find was updated in 2013 and I'm having trouble with mods that were updated as recently as a month ago.

I used the one in spaceport and works apparently without problems with the current version.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Robo Reagan posted:

There is the v6RC2 complete with built in RPM support: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Is there a way to line up encounters without endlessly loving around with the nav node because thats what's keeping me from playing right now.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Roki B posted:

Is there a way to line up encounters without endlessly loving around with the nav node because thats what's keeping me from playing right now.

Mechjeb. You can download it here.

e: Just landed on Duna for the first time, on a slope, and my lander fell over and broke. Loaded my quicksave and it's back in Kerbin orbit with a 2 year wait for a transfer window again :smith:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 4, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I feel like building a space station that actually does something; I looked at the Station Science mod but it seems to be dead-ish? Most recent version is from last December.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

seravid posted:

I feel like building a space station that actually does something; I looked at the Station Science mod but it seems to be dead-ish? Most recent version is from last December.

That's what the lab is for? :shrug:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Interstellar has a lab that generates science with multipliers based on where it is. Quite fun to setup and run, especially if you use other mods like RemoteTech and TAC Life Support, which makes it so that you'll actually need infrastructure set up.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

DStecks posted:

That's what the lab is for? :shrug:

The lab does nothing by itself. I meant an ISS-type project requiring multiple launches, to be assembled in space, kept in Kerbin's orbit and that would generate science somehow (it could consume [resources] or be time-based, I don't know). The science station mod seems to fit the bill, I'm just worried about its status considering the lack of updates.

Rynoto posted:

Interstellar has a lab that generates science with multipliers based on where it is. Quite fun to setup and run, especially if you use other mods like RemoteTech and TAC Life Support, which makes it so that you'll actually need infrastructure set up.

This sounds more complicated than I wanted, but that could be a good thing. I like the idea of life support, having to shuttle supplies up there.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My non-goon friend is really into aesthetics. You guys may enjoy some of his craft, so here are some screenshot I took:

It took some effort to land, with the large yaw inertia. But it made it there without refueling.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Rynoto posted:

In theory I love life support mods. In practice they usually have multiple dependencies and also several other part and storage mods to make feasable, which would be fine if KSP didnt poo poo itself in terror when your mod numbers jumped. The closer I get to the mythical 3 gb the higher the chance that KSP will crash and then refuse to run for several start attempts.

I love this game to death but it is really starting to suffer from that 3gb limit. There are so many crazy wonderful things that people are making and the mod community is surprisingly concerned with cross functionality and compatibility, KSP just cant handle all of it at once. Its unfortunate, looking at the performance numbers my PC should be able to run like 6-8 instances of KSP without pegging out, but a development game is still just that. 64bit will be a very nice jump to let me use the other massive mound of memory my PC just has sitting idle when it comes though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Spaceman Future! posted:

In theory I love life support mods. In practice they usually have multiple dependencies and also several other part and storage mods to make feasable, which would be fine if KSP didnt poo poo itself in terror when your mod numbers jumped. The closer I get to the mythical 3 gb the higher the chance that KSP will crash and then refuse to run for several start attempts.

I love this game to death but it is really starting to suffer from that 3gb limit. There are so many crazy wonderful things that people are making and the mod community is surprisingly concerned with cross functionality and compatibility, KSP just cant handle all of it at once. Its unfortunate, looking at the performance numbers my PC should be able to run like 6-8 instances of KSP without pegging out, but a development game is still just that. 64bit will be a very nice jump to let me use the other massive mound of memory my PC just has sitting idle when it comes though.
Yeah, not only have I used texture reduction packs, but I've had to actively go in and delete parts I don't use to save RAM.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

My non-goon friend is really into aesthetics. You guys may enjoy some of his craft, so here are some screenshot I took:

It took some effort to land, with the large yaw inertia. But it made it there without refueling.

:swoon:

That's absolutely beautiful.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I would love this craft file.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Ahhh, okay, so it's not just a matter of fiddling/rotating.

That makes sense. I was trying for ages earlier.

You can do loads of clipping with just fiddling and rotating. Debug menu, of course, makes it easier.

seravid posted:

The lab does nothing by itself. I meant an ISS-type project requiring multiple launches, to be assembled in space, kept in Kerbin's orbit and that would generate science somehow (it could consume [resources] or be time-based, I don't know). The science station mod seems to fit the bill, I'm just worried about its status considering the lack of updates.

It should do what you want. I haven't updated it in a while because I haven't had cause to. Updates haven't broken it, and I don't have any functionality in mind I want to add. I am working on models, but it's been real slow-going.

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 4, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's ugly as-is, and I don't use it because of that. I mean, functionally it is good, but a stack of RCS canisters with RCS cylinders glued to the sides? Ugly and horrible to use as gently caress.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I really like this, not just because making a Single-Stage-to-Mun craft is almost as hard as actually landing the drat thing horizontally, but because the whole thing's a giant reference to "The Eagle has landed"

Yes, yes, :thejoke:

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 4, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wizard of Smart posted:

I would love this craft file.

So would I.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

It may have been hard to notice in the first pic.

I don't know the preferred method to sharing files these days, so I tried embedding the craft file in the attached picture eaglesstocraft.jpg. If you open it in notepad, you should be able to delete everything before "ship = Eagle SSTO" and have the craft file.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Please help!

I have two immovable "Debris" Kerbonauts stuck on the Mun after rover accidents that knocked them out of the seats. What the hell do I do?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Please help!

I have two immovable "Debris" Kerbonauts stuck on the Mun after rover accidents that knocked them out of the seats. What the hell do I do?

Im pretty sure the technical term for those are "corpses".

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Im pretty sure the technical term for those are "corpses".

Oh god. Why are they standing?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

I don't know the preferred method to sharing files these days, so I tried embedding the craft file in the attached picture eaglesstocraft.jpg. If you open it in notepad, you should be able to delete everything before "ship = Eagle SSTO" and have the craft file.

Worked great...you're friend's got amazing talent. Thing flies incredibly well.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

My experience with this craft:

It's perfect.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

General_Failure posted:

Please help!

Same thing here. I plan to grab my dead kerbal using a grapper somehow and bring him back to Kerbin to give him an appropriate funeral ceremony.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Does anyone know a mod that lets you build your own techtree?

I've spent the last hour doing X-15 style rocket plane testflights with FAR.
It is a considerably more fun way to begin the game: same biomes, but considerably more challenging than "press space, collect science"

edit: I can probably edit the parts to have them unlock earlier... HRMMM...

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Splode posted:

Does anyone know a mod that lets you build your own techtree?

Look up Treeloader/Treeedit. I think that's probably what you're looking for.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Amberskin posted:

Same thing here. I plan to grab my dead kerbal using a grapper somehow and bring him back to Kerbin to give him an appropriate funeral ceremony.

I did something far less ceremonious.

This was an epic mission, conceived totally on the fly.

Short version. I built a big buggy with docking ports on it for no real reason. Shot it at the Mun, crashed it like every goddamn ship to the Mun since the ARM update.
Proceeded to visit the crash initial landing sites of the two Kerbonauts after collecting useful debris from the buggy landing like lights and RCS tanks.

Each landing site had the pods set up as habitation out of whatever useful debris was left that hadn't been looted for the small buggies, like solar arrays and lamps.

Anyway I visited both Kerbonaut death sites sites and with a little part shuffling loaded both buggies on to the big buggy. I then proceeded to one of the landing sites again and did some more EVA work to prep a pod for attachment to the bottom port of the big buggy.

It turned into this monster over teh course of over 10km of driving, lots of salvage, a rollover and justthe usual poo poo that happens with wheeled things in KSP.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

While attempting a landing on Duna, everything not a sun disappeared.

That's the map view. No planets, no moons, no satellites, no fuel tanks whipping round Kerbin.

Jeb, what have you done.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I had that happen yesterday. No idea what happened; I killed the game and reloaded and it was fine.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

rhoga posted:

My experience with this craft:

It's perfect.

How? What? Physics? :catstare:

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
That eagle ship is incredible, I can't imagine what it took to get it looking that good. Every one of my ships is far more function-over-form and it's getting a wee bit boring.

There's this guy on reddit who's been making "Seat of the Pants" ships; bare minimum ships to travel to the Mun, Minmus, Eeloo, often utilizing things like exposed seats rather than command pods, and leaving the parachute landing stage in Kerbin orbit before commencing an extra-Kerbinary burn. This one sent 12T to Eve: https://imgur.com/a/9TWpM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minimizing what you bring to the surface and back is really the way to go. I just did a munar rover using that strategy, and it turned out to be so light that the single parachute on the transfer cradle plus what was left in the retrorockets would have been enough to plant it back on Kerbin in drivable condition had it not landed in the ocean.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hey Maxmaps, KSP crashed on me and popped up an error message saying it'd be great if I sent the crash dump to the developers. Is this true or is it just a Unity default message?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Look at hte crashlog and see if it was just an out of memory one. If it was and you have a bunch of mods, don't bother sending it. If it's something else, it never hurts to send them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shortspecialbus posted:

Look at hte crashlog and see if it was just an out of memory one. If it was and you have a bunch of mods, don't bother sending it. If it's something else, it never hurts to send them.

The only mod I have installed is Protractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The only mod I have installed is Protractor.

Throw it at us. We're always up for tackling new bugs and appreciate reports that aren't 'Well, I have these 20 mods installed but I'm pretty sure it would also happen if they weren't installed.'

• Locked thread