Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Basically wear upgraded Havels and use copious amounts of buffs and you'll be King Shithead of Shitheap Mountain to fight against even if your weapon choice isn't 'optimal'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just realized that the biggest gently caress you to the game I could get with my gimmick build would probably be powerstanced Mace of the Insolent with Dark/Resonant Weapon.

That would be obscene, right?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Scrree posted:

Basically wear upgraded Havels and use copious amounts of buffs and you'll be King Shithead of Shitheap Mountain to fight against even if your weapon choice isn't 'optimal'.

With the amount of lag in this game it seems like most of my fights are decided by who gets the higher number of lucky hits in.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Wow got to The Gutter entirely by accident by falling down into the hole in Majula. 10 minutes of careful exploring later, I zoned into the gutter. Lit my torch, trekked carefully along, killing the vases etc as I went, and lighting everything I could along the way. I saw a bonfire in the darkness so I moved to travel towards it, but then I fell through the floor which took me completely off track.

30 minutes, 3 repair powders, all of my estus and a bunch of other healing items later, I find a bonfire... on the complete opposite side of the one I saw originally. Somehow managed to survive through all of the potential falls and such in the zone.

That was probably the coolest thing in DS2 so far. Just stumbling upon an area like that and getting the old "oh god where is the bonfire" feeling from DS1 back.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

The Gorp posted:

Its funny but i think summons are completely useless.
Against "SD" and the other boss fight that get a lot of summon attention, i feel solo is just better. A single white phantom buffs the boss so much its crazy. My only victories against SD and the other toughies were alone, and its comical to watch 3 stacks get murdered by these guys.I just guess Darksouls 2 hates sunbros.

I think one summon is the sweet spot. One guy gets the attention of the boss and the other can stab it in the rear end, which seems to be how most boss fights go.

I finally went to gutter and black gulch yesterday. First time I stumbled to gutter, I had no idea where to go and instantly fell to my death. I though I saw a bonfire, but it was just a zombie with a torch. :downs:

The areas weren't that bad, but then again, I think I'm going in "wrong" order, so I've already seen shittier places. The boss sucks for same reason as always though : able to spin really fast while attacking. And like always, the fight becomes a joke if you have one summon with you. Honestly, it feels like the boss fights are designed to be played with at least one summon. (Yes, I know they're easy to 1vs1 for you experienced folks)

Metanaut fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 4, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Someone should Sunbro for people as a full tank, just get the red eye ring and wear the heaviest, poisey-est poo poo in the game at the time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Someone should Sunbro for people as a full tank, just get the red eye ring and wear the heaviest, poisey-est poo poo in the game at the time.

I tried to do this on PS3, two-handing the biggest shield I could get, but unfortunately the Red Eye Ring doesn't work on everything and you're not much help on the things it doesn't work on. The players summoning me also rarely caught on to what I was doing and still kept their distance and acted like the boss was going to turn around and smash them, leading to some really long fights where they just kind of watched me blocking in the corner for a few minutes before attacking on their own.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

That was probably the coolest thing in DS2 so far. Just stumbling upon an area like that and getting the old "oh god where is the bonfire" feeling from DS1 back.

yeah I thought the Gutter was cool, it evoked the feeling of Blighttown without being as annoying as that place was and had a lot of the atmosphere and tension that I felt was missing through most of Dark Souls 2.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE PWNER posted:

In the first game I ended up exploring Tomb of the Giants early on and since Pinwheel was such a pushover I figured the next area can't be that bad. After a great deal of struggling in the dark I reached the bonfire at the bottom.

Of course it was a dead end at the time, there was no instant travel between bonfires, enemies didn't despawn, my equipment was sub-par and I didn't know there was a light source in the game so I was in complete darkness at the bottom of a pitch-black pit surrounded by giant skeletons without any real idea where the path back up was. And because I had used the bonfire at the bottom every time I died I was back down there. :shepface:

I don't even want to think how long it took me to finally make it back to the previous bonfire.

In short, :darksouls:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
name yourself something like RAID TANK

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Give yourself a decent name befitting the Souls' canon or get the gently caress out of my game. :colbert:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

poptart_fairy posted:

Give yourself a decent name befitting the Souls' canon or get the gently caress out of my game. :colbert:

Black Iron Tank

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I point out that the entire Black Iron Tarkus set is in the game.

Though I'm not sure if the game will let you fully enter in Black Iron Tarkus as a name. Could just do Iron Tarkus.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Man, I didn't realize you could repair rings of soul/life protection.

I have lost so, so many souls in my career so far that I'm seriously tempted to just restart, but that would probably be pretty dumb, I guess.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

I had no idea that was a thing. Do you have to be in the blue sentinels to be summoned for that?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well poo poo. My PC crashed while I was playing and when I started up the game again my save game was corrupt. 40 hours down the pisser :argh:

Oh well, at least now I know my way around and can murder my way through the early levels with very few delays & deaths :gbsmith:

Incidentally, does anyone know where the savegame is located? I wanna make a backup just in case this happens again.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Tallgeese posted:

I point out that the entire Black Iron Tarkus set is in the game.

Though I'm not sure if the game will let you fully enter in Black Iron Tarkus as a name. Could just do Iron Tarkus.

I have both Sunbro'd with and invaded as a grey spirit an Iron Tarkus. Actually, I think that was the first phantom I summoned, too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Peewi posted:

I had no idea that was a thing. Do you have to be in the blue sentinels to be summoned for that?

I believe you just need to leave an invasion sign outside the boss door as he does in the beginning.

E: Oh wait, it's before the hallway, not outside the door.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I've done that on the Ruins Sentinels fight. Absurdly effective. Also done it with the Smelter Demon, although you need flash sweat to be truly effective there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just started my second character when I realized something. There's no way to attune spells in a no bonfire run. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

So I just started my second character when I realized something. There's no way to attune spells in a no bonfire run. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

:darksouls:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dumb question - What consistently opens illusory walls?

I've been several places that look right, there are notes, and I can't open them. The one right now is in Earthen peak, two bridges, one is broken. There's an item on the side of the bridge that you can't reach, but it sure as poo poo looks like an illusionary wall. I hit it with my sword and tried firebombs.

Or am I just getting punked?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Crackbone posted:

I've been several places that look right, there are notes, and I can't open them. The one right now is in Earthen peak, two bridges, one is broken. There's an item on the side of the bridge that you can't reach, but it sure as poo poo looks like an illusionary wall. I hit it with my sword and tried firebombs.

Try pressing A. Pretty sure 'fake' walls can only be opened by hitting them with a weapon, hitting A near them or in a lot more specific cases getting big enemies to hit them.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Crackbone posted:

The majority of those messages are trolls. You can often find a "liar ahead" message just before them.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Babyface Mingo posted:

Try pressing A. Pretty sure 'fake' walls can only be opened by hitting them with a weapon, hitting A near them or in a lot more specific cases getting big enemies to hit them.

To elaborate, all illusionary walls except for ones marked by using a lockstone are opened by pressing A. Lockstone marked walls are opened by attacking them. There's also the rare instances where you need to destroy walls via some other means, eg. luring monsters to them and such.

And yes, in that specific case you are indeed being punked.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Do a no bonfire run on NG+ and attune your spells in NG.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Don't be a spellflinging chicken and man up. :colbert:

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.

I had a guy do this with the gargoyle fight. He parked in a corner and let them all beat on him uselessly while I rapiered them in the butt, uh

:3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanfy posted:

Don't be a spellflinging chicken and man up. :colbert:

Being forced to. About to go punch pursuer to death. Joined the covenent of champions or whatever because I hate myself and want some awe stones so I can punch harder.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Am I missing something regarding the Firestorm vs. Darklurker split strategy? It seems to miss more than anything.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Noxville posted:

Do a no bonfire run on NG+ and attune your spells in NG.

And get used to co-oping and hoping you or your host doesn't die/they never fix what is apparently a bug.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

And get used to co-oping and hoping you or your host doesn't die/they never fix what is apparently a bug.

If you're referring to successful multiplayer sessions giving you a refil, why would you think it's a bug? :psyduck: It happens no matter what when you're successful, and even happens when you successfully invade someone as a bellbro.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It was originally a bug, but they made it an actual feature in the patch before PC release.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

Drangleic Castle might be the most perfectly designed area in any videogame. I love every last piece of it.
The journey to it through the Shrine of Winter is long, without being arduous, it feels a long way away. Especially as the geography starts to break down - before you walk through the tunnel you can see the tower clearly in the distance, but once you walk through it, the tower moves! It's subtle, but the whole journey feels uncanny, like space is warped.

The approach up the stairs sets the theme pretty early on - those Mastodon statues are visible a mile off, and anybody who's played any videogame before knows that they're going to come alive and attack you. Sure enough, they do. The rest of the level is an exercise in paranoia as I leap and dodge round every corner whenever I see a statue. But the game is nice, it's fair, it teaches me the statues - horsehead knights are statues, tortoise knights are statues, spearmen will try and stab me. I can live with that. The doorway room has a nice obvious strategy - approach from the side, try and only wake up two at time, and pray to god that nothing triggers those very ominous doors . But the statues are so well placed that killing them fast guarantees they'll trigger a door - the apperance of the first ruin sentinal is a bit of a shock, but after taking on three at once it's satisfying to just dunk on one solo. The rest of the room is gloriously tense - since the basic rule of Dark Souls is that if I die, those doors are staying open and that room suddenly gets a whole lot harder. I die a few times, aggroing multiple sentries at once, but that room remains one of my favourite fights. Moments of quiet stalking, punctuated with bursts of extreme violence.

The ballista-room is a similar idea - all the pieces are immediately visible, but with some subtle trickery. There's three ballistae, a chest, and a conspicuous lever by a portcullis. I bumbled into the first ballistae trap in the forest of fallen giants and got shot to pieces. But I'm onto you, game. I know how this works. I look around carefully, there's no obvious pressure-plate or trip-wire. I drop my armour so I can move fast, and gingerly step in front of the ballistae and immediately throw myself back. Nothing happens. I try again. Still nothing. Alright, so clearly the chest is trapped. I run up, hit it, and hurl myself to the ground. I open it, and roll the side. I pick up the item and dive away. Nothing. That leaves the lever. I know I can't roll back far enough once I pull that lever. So I put on all my armour, two hand a greatshield, and prepare to tank the hits. Even if I die, at least that door will be open.

When I eventually lower my shield, I walk over to the ballistae. They're not loaded.

Eventually, I reach the approach to the fog door. I see a huge golden knight at the end of a corridor, lined with horsehead knights. It's a literal dark-and-stormy-night, and I am ready for a brawl. I set my sword on fire, and sprint down the corridor as lighting throws my shadow across the columns. This is what games are made of, this is why I play Dark Souls, I will take this bastard down!

That's when the horsehead knights decide that they aren't actually statues after all.

Motherfuckers

That level played me like a violin.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Dark Paladin look :black101:

Really though I'm loving the Alonne Knight set, and the only reason I'm wearing that hood is because I like to cast hexes and miracles too. Unless someone maybe has an Alonne Captain helm to trade...?

EDIT: Also is there a way to raise the bridges back up in the Grave of Saints? Loving the Ratbros, but man I hate that I lowered all those things.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 4, 2014

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

Unbalanced posted:

To elaborate, all illusionary walls except for ones marked by using a lockstone are opened by pressing A. Lockstone marked walls are opened by attacking them. There's also the rare instances where you need to destroy walls via some other means, eg. luring monsters to them and such.

And yes, in that specific case you are indeed being punked.

Is it possible to place a message so close to an illusionary wall that pressing A will open the message instead? I'm not sure if those are just trolls.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

I don't think it is.

quote:

That level played me like a violin.

I liked that area too, although it does clearly suffer from the poor lighting.

Also you can decapitate those horseheads for a one-hit kill if you hit them before they come to life. :eng101:

E:

It does look amazing from the outside the first time you approach it, From really nailed great views of the area you're about to enter. Just look at this:

ClaytonClaw posted:

Is it possible to place a message so close to an illusionary wall that pressing A will open the message instead? I'm not sure if those are just trolls.

It is not, if it's a secret door (why do they still call them illusionary walls anyway) it'll open regardless.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 4, 2014

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
So I've just joined the most whiskery of the covenants in Grave of Saints, and got my second victim, after a tense first fight (I'm not great at PVP). Perfect ambush, three hits to the chest...no damage. loving infinite HP hacker. Fortunately I'd lowered the lower drawbridge, managed to pull him out onto it and knock him to a watery death. He was clearly terrible, so I'm not surprised he needed the infinite HP.

Is there a way to figure out what his Steam ID was? I checked my 'recently played with' tab, but it's showing up empty. His player name was 'Tenchi', but I imagine there'll be a few of them running about.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I did that but got bored so I'm becoming a Manikin :getin:

I plan on invading the Looking glass knight fight :twisted:

E: relating to the looking glass fight, I thought about wearing his armor and his weapons so He pops out a baby version of himself :v:

I had no idea the Looking Glass Knight could summon players. I didn't see that in my fight, and its not a surprise why; you have to drop a red soapstone sign in the hallway leading up to him. I guess that explains why he's so easy to avoid though. fighting him with an invader running around would be a lot more difficult.

Thanks for posting this though. I know what I'm doing later today :shepface:

EDIT: Oh my god I could invade someone and cast warmth next to the boss.

I think that would make anyone go crazy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

ninjaiguana posted:

Is there a way to figure out what his Steam ID was? I checked my 'recently played with' tab, but it's showing up empty. His player name was 'Tenchi', but I imagine there'll be a few of them running about.

Sadly, the only thing you can do is hope that VAC catches up to him.