Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

Oh my god, Old Monk lives again but better than ever :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a lot easier to think of all the callbacks as just being parallels, not actually being meant to be any area of the previous game. It also makes more sense with the whole theme of the unreliability of memory, plus a lot of the supposedly "same" areas require a lot of shoehorning and dubious leaps of logic to work.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Scrree posted:

I lost a six hour No Death run to that motherfucker; they're probably the best example of how much the cooldown after attacks structures combat in these games by not having any at all and being complete horseshit.

It's good you can just run past every single enemy from the bonfire to the Ancient Dragon if you just roll past their first attack and then keep running. The iframes from opening the door leading up to the stairs will save you from the two at once. Then just run up the stairs, roll past the dragon guys and you've made it. It's so much easier I'm pretty sure it's the way the devs intended it to be done.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 4, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've finally replaced the Elite Knight's armor for something more fashionable. Black and gold on my battlemage? Yes please!

Now the real fight begins!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 4, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Heliosicle posted:

I've been playing for 60 hours, didn't know that was a thing.

Unless you follow a guide or something the majority of systems in the game aren't clear.

It's pretty noticeable though if you fight the same boss with and without help.

I like to get summoned a few times before a boss so I can learn the fight. Usually the host summons two people, so I fight the boss a few times with 3 people.

After I have an understanding of the boss, I dive in solo and the difference is really noticeable. Was working on the Demon of Song last night, after doing the boss twice as a phantom, I went in solo and was able to take off a quarter of his health in one attack, where before I felt like I was barely scratching him.

Then he one shot me with an arm sweep and I decided that was enough for the night.

Janac
May 12, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

Just disable your internet, go through the start screen and start in offline mode, turn your internet back on. Unless you click "Go Online" or whatever on the main menu you'll be in offline mode indefinitely.

Thanks, though it reconnects me if I want to switch characters/create a new one, which kind of sucks. It's not a big deal though, since I don't need offline mode all the time, just wanted to try speedrunning this game.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Is anyone else finding this game weirdly unbalanced. I know for a fact I have a fraction of the deaths I racked up Dark Souls 1. I somehow managed to get to get from the hole in Majula to the primal fire behind The Rotten in 4 deaths and I was actually shocked. I thought what turned out to be the rotten was another "mid branch boss"
It's safe to say that The Gutter is designed to be one of the latter 2 great souls you're supposed to get. Yet the gutter itself is so... empty. It's a bit of scaffolding in a black room with some generic hollows that hit a bit harder than their model would make you think. I actually ran around and lit nearly every sconce, convinced I was missing something crazy huge because at this point in the game poo poo isn't that simple.

But it was.

wtf game.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I think I encountered some people that didn't take damage in my PVPing either. However just before entering NG+ I thought I should go test out my endgame gear duelling bluebros at the cathedral. I think the sparring matchmaker doesn't really work all that well because I was matched against people with low-level equipment. I buffed with Sunlight Blade and took down one guy with two swipes of my +10 lightning longsword. He must've thought I was cheating :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

torsoboy posted:

I think I encountered some people that didn't take damage in my PVPing either. However just before entering NG+ I thought I should go test out my endgame gear duelling bluebros at the cathedral. I think the sparring matchmaker doesn't really work all that well because I was matched against people with low-level equipment. I buffed with Sunlight Blade and took down one guy with two swipes of my +10 lightning longsword. He must've thought I was cheating :ohdear:

As far as I can tell, the Blue Bro duelling arena and the Blood Brothers duelling arena are the only things in the game that don't factor in SM at all.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
One of the only big mechanical flaws in this game is that a lot of things don't have physics attached to them, they just damage you for a set amount or kill you if you come in contact with them. This is becoming painfully apparent when fighting Velstadt, who punishes you for standing behind him because coming in contact with his weapon at all, even before he swings it, does a ton of damage. I'm still figuring out how to deal with that since it has a huge model.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone said earlier the black iron armor is still in the game? Where is that? It was my favorite in DS1.

quote:

He must've thought I was cheating

It always feels a little like cheating when I use GRS or Soul Greatsword. Or when I get hit mid-Darkstorm and the game lets me walk around with a hurricane of darkness swarming me.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a lot easier to think of all the callbacks as just being parallels, not actually being meant to be any area of the previous game. It also makes more sense with the whole theme of the unreliability of memory, plus a lot of the supposedly "same" areas require a lot of shoehorning and dubious leaps of logic to work.

There's also a huge theme of imitation, as well as fact being lumped in with fiction.

But at the same time, there are also huge themes of repetition, of cycles, and THREE (Shalquoir, Chloanne, and Gilligan) characters all mention that Drangleic has been built on the ashes of another kingdom, which was built on the ashes of another kingdom... all in the same location, and then heavily implies we know one of the names of these kingdoms. All the while there are levels literally taken from other games in the "series" -- Like Earthen Peak literally being a reused level (down to the boss) from King's Field 4. The Widda Palace

Note too that the person who tells you this to begin with is one of the only characters who was actually alive back then. Shalquoir.

Honestly the game makes a really interesting claim by supporting both interpretations.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

laplace posted:

There's also a huge theme of imitation, as well as fact being lumped in with fiction.

But at the same time, there are also huge themes of repetition, of cycles, and THREE characters all mention that Drangleic has been built on the ashes of another kingdom, which was built on the ashes of another kingdom... all in the same location, and then heavily implies we know one of the names of these kingdoms.

Note too that the person who tells you this is one of the only characters who was actually alive back then. Shalquoir.

At least one of those kingdoms Drangleic was built on we know is Vinheim thanks to one of the dragoncrest rings, too.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Finally got past Smelter Demon after around 15-20 tries. I tossed out the worthless Drangleic Shield, and actually had to choose equipment carefully, and I respecced myself to get an attunement slot for flash sweat. For a few hours, it actually felt like a Souls game, in a very good way! Up until that point I had killed the last five bosses in one or two attempts. Is it downhill from here then?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RBA Starblade posted:

At least one of those kingdoms Drangleic was built on we know is Vinheim thanks to one of the dragoncrest rings, too.
That kind of precludes it from being Lordran, though, because Vinheim and Lordran were contemporaries and distinctly not in the same place.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Some people interpret that ring description as meaning Lordran, since Vinheim was a nation of Spies and it was unlikely that they used the ring in their own kingdom -- and the only time we see it "used" is in Lordran.

That being said I think that's slightly a stretch. On the other hand I AM one of those people that believes Each souls game takes place on the same plot of land that King's Field 4 takes place on -- See the Earthen Peak, the Widda soldiers/snakemen, New Londo, and the Abyss -- As well as the Abyss Queen in that game literally just being Nashandra's final form verbatim. Edit: Also Seath and the Sword of Moonlight.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 4, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Finally got past Smelter Demon after around 15-20 tries. I tossed out the worthless Drangleic Shield, and actually had to choose equipment carefully, and I respecced myself to get an attunement slot for flash sweat. For a few hours, it actually felt like a Souls game, in a very good way! Up until that point I had killed the last five bosses in one or two attempts. Is it downhill from here then?

There are still a lot of easy to somewhat hard bosses, but there are at least two bosses left that are pretty hard for most people, but they are both optional.

I personally had more problems with Old Dragonslayer and Pursuer but oh well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone got tips for beating the 3 ruin sentinels as a mage with soul arrow/grand soul arrow as my only real attacks? Not being able to block sucks too

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

Anyone got tips for beating the 3 ruin sentinels as a mage with soul arrow/grand soul arrow as my only real attacks? Not being able to block sucks too

They are resistant to magic iirc. Why don't you summon help/get a shield? Is this a gimmick run/CoC run?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Eh, I guess I'm overlevelled then (I was 82 when I killed SD). Which is weird because I never intended it that way. But the game doesn't give you much to spend souls on besides levels if you're a melee character, and I'm pretty careful about not losing tons of souls, so I just ended up this way... well there's always NG+ I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

laplace posted:

They are resistant to magic iirc. Why don't you summon help/get a shield? Is this a gimmick run/CoC run?

No I just haven't needed a shield so far. I'm going to try summoning but wanted to give them a go solo but I'll get nowhere if they're resistant to magic.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Red Crown posted:

One of the only big mechanical flaws in this game is that a lot of things don't have physics attached to them, they just damage you for a set amount or kill you if you come in contact with them.

I agree. Love the game, but if an attack is physical and you have the stamina to block it, it really shouldn't do damage. You learn how to deal with it but it feels artificially cheap and counter to what I expect from these games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Annath posted:

So, about 10 pages back folks were talking about VAC bans for using durantes gfx enhancer thing.

I've never had a VAC ban, and I don't intend to.

If I remove it now, having only used it for a few play sessions, what are the chances I'll get flagged in the ban wave?

you're not going to get banned. noone has ever got vac banned for using sweetfx or enb's.

it takes about 2 weeks for a vac ban to set from first getting flagged and the game has been vac supported from the onset. (even if it only just added it to the page.) i'm sure we'll find out soon enough one way or the other.

i wouldnt worry about it. cheatengine for camera angles will get you banned for sure though, so if you want to do that pretty screenshots then go offline.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Deaderinred posted:

the game has been vac supported from the onset. (even if it only just added it to the page.)

Someone earlier said that the VAC modules weren't actually loaded from release, and that they only showed up at the time of the patch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does GeDoSaTo still crash the game pretty easily if you alt-tab?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I really wish they hadn't make accumulating sin such a pain, I like being invaded but because I didn't kill enough NPCs before NG+ every time I lose to one I lose my sinner status and thus the invasions. I'm out of red eye orbs as well and there's no other way to increase it except by successful orb invasions or killing NPCs and both only net 1 point. :argh:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Haha, I had managed to spoil myself on the proper handling of Navlaan, but as I approached that lever in Aldia's Keep I completely forgot about it. For some reason the insane amount of signs telling me "Don't you dare" and "Turn around" convinced me that this must be a lever starting some badass fight, no way I'm gonna pussy out!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you like being invaded just join the rat covenant. You can make it a fair 1v1 by clearing the enemy spawns first and not activating the traps. Then all that's left to do is wait for them to come to you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I really wish they hadn't make accumulating sin such a pain, I like being invaded but because I didn't kill enough NPCs before NG+ every time I lose to one I lose my sinner status and thus the invasions. I'm out of red eye orbs as well and there's no other way to increase it except by successful orb invasions or killing NPCs and both only net 1 point. :argh:
I don't understand why more bloodbros don't hang out in the Arena. A win there gets you both a point and a red eye orb for invading other people. When I read about that the first time, I figured the problem would be too many people in the Arena, not too few.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do you actually get anything for handling that guy 'improperly', at the end of the day?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Would using CE to lower my SM to a level where I could help my friend with a boss be a bad move?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Do you actually get anything for handling that guy 'improperly', at the end of the day?

He invades you and you lose out on two unique spells you get for completing his quest. You don't have to kill anyone either if you don't want to, all of those items are available through other means and he never finds out. I wouldn't bother with letting him out.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Tell me I can get a giant mirror to go with the mirror knight set?

I've been stuck on a loading screen forever after being summoned quite a few times today.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Does GeDoSaTo still crash the game pretty easily if you alt-tab?

I think that was fixed? I stopped using it for the small chance you could get banned, but for now, that seems very unlikely.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Tell me I can get a giant mirror to go with the mirror knight set?

I've been stuck on a loading screen forever after being summoned quite a few times today.

You can.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sex Robot posted:

Is anyone else finding this game weirdly unbalanced. I know for a fact I have a fraction of the deaths I racked up Dark Souls 1. I somehow managed to get to get from the hole in Majula to the primal fire behind The Rotten in 4 deaths and I was actually shocked. I thought what turned out to be the rotten was another "mid branch boss"
It's safe to say that The Gutter is designed to be one of the latter 2 great souls you're supposed to get. Yet the gutter itself is so... empty. It's a bit of scaffolding in a black room with some generic hollows that hit a bit harder than their model would make you think. I actually ran around and lit nearly every sconce, convinced I was missing something crazy huge because at this point in the game poo poo isn't that simple.

But it was.

wtf game.

There's 0 reason to assume the Gutter is meant to be one of the last Great Souls you do. The only evidence supporting that idea is the Gutter being listed below all the other areas in the travel screen, but that's not a good case when some of those areas are clearly harder. The pit in Majula could easily be one of the first lord souls you do. It was for me. You see that pit right at the start and you know the cat has a ring specifically made to let you survive the fall. The only thing keeping you from exploring it is whether or not you are willing to spend some souls on the ring.

The Gutter itself being mostly devoid of life is a thematic choice. I'm glad its not difficult because if it was that part of the game would be pretty miserable.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm playing a pure-sorcery gimmick character (no other elements, only weapon is a +0 dagger) and trying to kill Ascetic'd Najka for the ring. I decided I would summon people because this whole zone really sucks for me (at least the dagger does a shitload of backstab even at +0) and because summoning NG people to Ascetic'd zones is never not hilarious to me. I'm at 700k SM so I figured it would be people overleveled for regular Najka anyway and I expected a few funny deaths and then killing the boss.

Every single person has failed hilariously. I've been keeping a running tally and so far I have killed 59 phantoms this way (a couple were the same person a few times). Only five have actually made it to the boss. I can't not bust out laughing every time I summon two phantoms who charge headlong in to some lion warrior and both die to his very first swing. A lot of the time I summon two guys, who die to the first Lion Warrior, I kill it and summon two more, who die to the second, which I kill and summon two more only to have them die to the third.

It's absolutely comical and I don't think I will ever get bored of this.

e: Also gently caress NG+ Najka as a pure sorcery dude :( My sorceries barely scratch her and trying to range battle her is a recipe for death because it makes her dual-cast her HSM followed by Soul Geyser and sometimes the timing is literally impossible to dodge at range. I'm running with 5 VGR and I'm naked so everything kills me in one hit, of course.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 4, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is there seriously that big of a population that doesn't know how dodge rolling works? The only shield I ever used in DS1 was the stam regen one so I could roll more. The first time I used a shield (on my first character in my first playthrough of this game) I got worse than I was just two handing a scimitar :v:

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Should you play the original Dark Souls before playing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

KarmaticStylee posted:

Should you play the original Dark Souls before playing this?

You don't have too. This game is designed to be enjoyable regardless of whether or not you played Dark Souls.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is there seriously that big of a population that doesn't know how dodge rolling works? The only shield I ever used in DS1 was the stam regen one so I could roll more. The first time I used a shield (on my first character in my first playthrough of this game) I got worse than I was just two handing a scimitar :v:

Probably. If you don't know about stuff like invincibility frames you wouldn't think you could avoid an attack simply by dodging into it, which would make dodging far less effective.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 4, 2014