Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

Leia was there to try and persuade Obi-Wan to take up a leadership position to inspire the Rebellion. This is right there in the hologram scene.

Obi-Wan Kenobi? Nope, nobody by that name on this planet.

Maybe it isn't a secret that Obi-Wan is there at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Leia was there to try and persuade Obi-Wan to take up a leadership position to inspire the Rebellion. This is right there in the hologram scene.

Yeah, you're right. Oops.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

So in like, all of the space in the whole galaxy, R2D2 and C-3PO, armed with the secret information from Vader's daughter jump in an escape pod and land on Vader's home planet where Vader's son lives and also his former master live.

I don't think I've considered how unbelievably unlikely that is. He'd probably explain it away with ~~the will of the force~~ or some bullshit but I mean how long did that escape pod travel? They must have been in Tantooine's solar system, it isn't like escape pods have light speed. They could have floated for like years.

It's actually pretty loving stupid when you think about it. Gee I wonder where they went huh? One of the nine planets in this solar system I'd imagine.

And what was the chances of Luke landing right near where Yoda lived? Must be total bullshit, that's how unlikely it is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It took nearly ten years to find Bin Laden, and we only had this one planet. Certainly it could take Vader nearly twenty to find Obiwan.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I just watched Amazing Spider Man 2 and all I could think about was how perfect Dane Dehaan would be as Luke's son. He's literally like Hamill and Christensen combined but can act the hell out of any scene he's in.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

kiimo posted:

Obi-Wan Kenobi? Nope, nobody by that name on this planet.

Maybe it isn't a secret that Obi-Wan is there at all.

Her adoptive father knew he was there so he could have passed that information onto her.

Il Federale posted:

Yeah, you're right. Oops.

I always thought they just happened to be attacked above tatooine and in desperation leia thought "my dad knew some guy who lives here maybe he'll help us" then recorded her message.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 3, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are putting a lot of work into puzzling out Obi Wan's hidden motivations for acting like a burnt-out old hermit - missing the obvious explanation that he simply is a burnt-out old hermit.

There's no grand scheme to conceal his identity because neither he nor the Empire give a poo poo. He's lived in a shack at the rear end-end of the galaxy for thirty-odd years, studying how sandpeople walk.

He calls himself Ben because people on Tatooine have names like Luke and Owen.

As for Luke Skywalker: people miss that he was adopted by the Lars family. His legal name is undoubtedly Luke Lars. So, why does he call himself Luke Skywalker? It's a big rebellious gently caress-you to his fake mom and dad. Luke found out he's adopted and took up the Skywalker name as a symbol of pride and defiance. That's why he's so happy to yell "I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescue you!" The Skywalker name means nothing to Leia, but it means a great deal to Luke.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 3, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Smg you should do commentary tracks so moment by moment I can be reassured whatever movie I'm watching is really interesting.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Aren't Jedi supposed to be celibate? Why do people want Luke to have (non-adopted) children?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Shbobdb posted:

Aren't Jedi supposed to be celibate? Why do people want Luke to have (non-adopted) children?

Well that would be one way of showing he didn't make the same mistakes as the Jedi in the prequels (forced celibacy being one of them).

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 3, 2014

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

They can't fall in love but that doesn't mean they can't get do a little casual lightsaber practice here and there.

But also Luke's Jedi are probably a little different. The protestants to the Old Order's Catholics.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He calls himself Ben because people on Tatooine have names like Luke and Owen.

This is really interesting, and reflects what we see of him in the prequels. The Jedi safeguard 'democracy' in the abstract, the right of the people to vote to allow slavery to continue and live on decadent planets and be idiots who favour the creation of all the tools of a dictatorship. Read: They are all loving punks who don't stand for anything at all.

They remind me of the 'the government' in a lot of Spielberg movies, for example E.T and The Terminal, where the state apparatus are fuckers who are 'merely' doing what makes sense at the time: it's only rational to want to contain the alien threat, or to antagonise the foreigner whose ideas make a mockery of the current social order! It is only until the prevailing winds change that the powers-that-be suddenly have a change of heart, decide the alien was good all along and act accordingly.

The message of the series as a whole is that this is all bullshit - that one must suicidally, self-destructively commit oneself to an ethical ideal, to what is 'actually right', or 'actually good', and rouse oneself from such a lovely thing as whatever the plurality happens to think. Luke cannot bring himself to kill an old man, Anakin is misguided but still cannot bring himself to watch people get killed in front of him, even if they're evil. Obi-Wan is a poo poo, so he upholds the system he happens to exist in. He even changes his name to fit the planet he lives on. What about him is real? People complain that Kenobi in the prequels was nothing like in the originals for a reason - they regonise this, but don't make sense of it, refuse, insists it's a plot hole. But the more interesting and superior reading is that Kenobi is just not an authentic person.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I always figured they were celibate pre-prequels. Just sorta makes sense for warrior monks who shun attachment not to have children (much less marry).

Man, LucasArts really loved to make video "games" that were little more than interactive cut-scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pt9wwEzic

Reminds me of Rebel Assault with fancier graphics. Totally linear! Make this series of very frustrating jumps to get to the next scene!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

echronorian posted:

Smg you should do commentary tracks so moment by moment I can be reassured whatever movie I'm watching is really interesting.

The posts we've been seeing are of the tactical realism variety, focusing on the most flawless way to conceal your identity.

This approach misses characterization. Luke isn't trying to conceal his identity. He's trying to assert his identity. His entire life revolves around living up to the Skywalker name. When he blows up the Death Star, he thinks "finally, I am a Skywalker!"

Even before the big twist was planned, it was obvious that Luke was more enamoured with the idea of heroism than with his father's actual human identity. This is why Empire Strikes Back is so crushing. After blowing up the Death Star, Luke becomes increasingly disenchanted with the Rebellion. It turns out to be an unglamorous slog - but he is still motivated by the idea of avenging his father. The big "I am your father" twist shatters Luke's self-image completely. The perfect father never existed.

Despite all this, people got very mad that the prequels did not present an idealized Anakin. They missed the point entirely. The prequels, rightly, underline that Anakin actually was just a whiny racist loser. The perfect father never existed. He had some good qualities, but he was ultimately a little poo poo until he put on the mask. Darth Vader is the true hero, the real superhuman avatar of Justice.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke's assertion that "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" is his belief - against all available evidence - in his father's heroism. He's reclaiming the idealism of Episode 4, but he's no longer naive about it.

"The logic is here the same as that of Anne Frank who, in her diaries, expresses belief in the ultimate goodness of man in spite of the horrors accomplished by men against Jews in World War II: what renders such an assertion of belief (in the essential goodness of Man ...) sublime, is the very gap between it and the overwhelming factual evidence against it, i.e. the active will to disavow the actual state of things. Perhaps therein resides the most elementary meta-physical gesture: in this refusal to accept the real in its idiocy, to disavow it and to search for Another World behind it."

This is the Light Side of the force, and it's why Luke and Leia are not genetically related. The Light Side is a rejection of the idiotic, canonical world shown in the prequels. This is what motivates Vader to finally accomplish his destiny and kill the emperor. Vader, despite knowing inside that he really is a piece of poo poo, decides to act like the father he's supposed to be.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While I'm not opposed to a Protestant reading of Star Wars, it is clearly more Japanese Buddhist, so the elements of Daoism and Shintoism get a lot of play. Luke is Maitreya Buddha. The Dharma for the Force has been forgotten because the evil Western tradition, with Vader as Christ, has literally destroyed the old order so people have forgotten the truth. "No longer will they regard anything as their own, they will have no possession, no gold or silver, no home, no relatives!" The destruction of the Lars ranch leaves Luke in precisely that situation. There is some ambiguity as to whether Luke is a disciple of the Maitreya or is the Maitreya (the obvious answer given the pervasive influence of Western thought over the film is that it is a gnostic synthesis of both), so when Obi-Wan Kenobi holds the training device in his left hand, as Maitreya does with the Kumbha (Wisdom Urn) we get a clear view of what the old and the new represent. For Obi-Wan the urn of knowledge is a tool that trains for war. Tellingly, Luke loses his right hand, the hand traditionally associated with action in his fight with Vader and is left, impotent, with only the left had that contains wisdom. He is given an artificial replacement but Luke is wise and not a warrior. Throwing away his lightsaber is a culmination of this realization.

Consider what the Maitreya will abolish amongst his followers: killing (Luke's rejection of the Emperor's offer), stealing (Han went froma smuggler to a virtuous general), sexual misconduct (incest), lying (Obi-Wan's deceptions), divisive speech (the needless politicing of the Old Republic vs the direct and true action of the Republic), abusive speech (Vader and the Emperor's taunting), idle speech (Yoda's demands for inaction), covetousness (Anakin and Padme, 'nuff said), harmful intent (The Sith) and wrong views (the Empire).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Anakin's hatred of sand is essential characterization.

Obviously, he's talking about growing up on Tatooine - but the important part is that he praises how smooth Naboo is by comparison. It's frictionless and ordered, where Tatooine is rough and chaotic.

Of course, he's 'actually' referring to Padme's smooth, white skin. But in that case: who are the unspoken, irritating, rough-skinned people who 'get everywhere'? None other than the sandpeople!

Those who criticize the sand line as bad romantic dialogue miss that it is an expression of Anakin's racism and classism. Remember that he's the kid who built a golden gay butler for himself, and commited genocide against those sandpeople. Lucas directly links the love story to the genocide. This is not 'supposed to be' sympathetic - it's satire!

It also points out how incompatible the two are and their relationship is odd because they disagree about everything: they disagree about her need for protection, they disagree about the government system, they disagree about loving sand; all culminating in her pleading for him not to "go where [she] can't follow".

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wait a minute, does luke's confrontation with vader and palpy actually change anything? The death star was going to blow up anyway.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Baron Porkface posted:

Wait a minute, does luke's confrontation with vader and palpy actually change anything? The death star was going to blow up anyway.

It changes Luke.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lord Krangdar posted:

It changes Luke.

And Vader, he wouldn't have turned back into Hayden Christensen without Luke's help.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Baron Porkface posted:

If Luke hadn't been there the Emperor and Vader could have escaped before the Death Star blew up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shbobdb posted:

While I'm not opposed to a Protestant reading of Star Wars, it is clearly more Japanese Buddhist, so the elements of Daoism and Shintoism get a lot of play. Luke is Maitreya Buddha.

Oh fer sure. The ideological universe of the original trilogy is this new-agey buddhist thing - and prequels throw a wrench in that, by showing the consequences of that ideology. Like I wrote earlier in the thread, the prequels are sequels. The rebellion is a rebellion to restore the republic.

The full six films, the story of Darth Vader, shows that only Christ can save the galaxy from this unending cycle of corruption and rebellion. And that requires some radical re-interpretation of Star Wars as a whole.

Szmitten posted:

It also points out how incompatible the two are and their relationship is odd because they disagree about everything: they disagree about her need for protection, they disagree about the government system, they disagree about loving sand; all culminating in her pleading for him not to "go where [she] can't follow".

Nah, they're actually perfect for eachother. Padme fancies herself a 'woman of the people', showing her inner goodness when she pretends to be a servant. Of course, she's actually filthy rich. Anakin, for his part is an ex-slave with aristocratic ambitions.

Padme loves him because he's a noble, troubled poor, and Anakin loves her because he loves her wealth.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 3, 2014

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Oh fer sure. The ideological universe of the original trilogy is this new-agey buddhist thing - and prequels throw a wrench in that, by showing the consequences of that ideology. Like I wrote earlier in the thread, the prequels are sequels. The rebellion is a rebellion to restore the republic.

The full six films, the story of Darth Vader, shows that only Christ can save the galaxy from this unending cycle of corruption and rebellion. And that requires some radical re-interpretation of Star Wars as a whole.

Exactly. You see this clearly in the arc of how the films depict the Force (an essence of radical love). Being a Virtual field of infinite potential in the original films, something mysterious and uncanny, an essence of becoming; whereas by the pre-sequels (following two decades of neoliberal expansion) we see the force as a sedentary quality of the individual. Anakin's Christological arc thus sees the liberation of this radical, violent love (a [plot-]Holey Spirit) at the end of the sixth film where his physical body melts and we witness birth of his blasphemous children.

Danger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 4, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's May 4th where I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUH8GnAJdg

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Despite it being Star Wars day, Wookieepedia's quote of the "day" is still this:

After a week. (and despite the new actors being announced)

Corek fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 4, 2014

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Corek posted:

Despite it being Star Wars day, Wookieepedia's quote of the "day" is still this:

After a week. (and despite the new actors being announced)

I really love that Wookiepedia are being bitter little dweebs about all this. All these nerd tears make me horny as hell.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I watched A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and skipped the boring parts of Jedi today. The De-specialized editions, very fun on the big tv with the sound up loud and some snacks.

Edit: VVV Only for Return of the Jedi because I was making dinner during the start of it.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tell me more about how you watched some films. Did you have the lights on?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

paint dry posted:

I really love that Wookiepedia are being bitter little dweebs about all this. All these nerd tears make me horny as hell.

The bitterness of entitled nerds is true entertainment. This year will be great for it: new Star Wars and new editions of WH40K and D&D. If we're really lucky, maybe we'll also get a relaunch of a beloved 90s video game franchise.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PeterWeller posted:

The bitterness of entitled nerds is true entertainment. This year will be great for it: new Star Wars and new editions of WH40K and D&D. If we're really lucky, maybe we'll also get a relaunch of a beloved 90s video game franchise.

We've already had that, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(video_game)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PeterWeller posted:

There is also Dragon Age: Inquisition coming out this year, with plenty of opportunities to retcon things. Although the true outrage will probably be provoked by certain characters not being available for sexing.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

drunkill posted:

I watched A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and skipped the boring parts of Jedi today. The De-specialized editions, very fun on the big tv with the sound up loud and some snacks.

Edit: VVV Only for Return of the Jedi because I was making dinner during the start of it.

What are the boring parts of Jedi?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Emperor just keeps talking and talking. Give it a rest, guy!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

I think the setup at Jabba's Palace takes a while, and some of the scenes on Endor before the big battle starts. It's not terrible pacing but it's not quite as tight as previous films.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

drunkill posted:

What were the snacks you had during the films?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Breakfast All Day posted:

Ewoks slow everything down so much halfway through, just after the speeders.

Then again you get to see Carrie Fisher's terrible forest frizzy hair.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's not as tight as Empire (and especially A New Hope) but I'd hardly call it a slog. It's only that way to us because we've seen them a trillion times.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not as tight as Empire (and especially A New Hope) but I'd hardly call it a slog. It's only that way to us because we've seen them a trillion times.

I've only seen it maybe twice, but it is a slog for a good chunk of the movie to me.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

drunkill posted:

The Clone Wars series is also really good and retroactively makes Attack of the Clones and (more importantly) Revenge of the Sith much more enjoyable. Anakin, the weak link of the prequels, becomes more tolerable.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Tezzeract posted:

The Clone Wars series is also really good and retroactively makes Attack of the Clones and (more importantly) Revenge of the Sith much more enjoyable. Anakin, the weak link of the prequels, becomes more tolerable.

I think the movies are still boring and filled with bland dialogue, but the clone wars series at least makes the central story within the prequels interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Remember back in the day when they were prequel scoops on sites like Aint it Cool News? Well Harry is claiming another one after waiting for confirmation, it's the supposed title for Episode VII:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67205?utm_source=full-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=coolnews&utm_campaign=1310_RSS

"The Ancient Fear"

Maybe/probably bullshit, who knows. Was hoping for a "A" or "An" title myself, or something close to The Empire Strikes Back style. If it's real, I'm also glad we're not getting an "of the" title back to back again.

It does counter "A New Hope" to some regard, though I think An Ancient Fear sounds better, it doesn't look better with the double "An". If that makes any sense.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread