Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KarmaticStylee posted:

Should you play the original Dark Souls before playing this?

Yeah, not for any continuity reason, just because its really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KarmaticStylee posted:

Should you play the original Dark Souls before playing this?

It doesn't matter. The two games are stand alone.

That being said, DSII has a lot of throwbacks to DSI that will go completely over your head.

At the same time, since DSII is so new, the online community is fresh, so every time I put a summon sign someone hits it within seconds. I know this isn't going to last :(

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is it implied that Hiede's tower of flame is the remnants of Anor Londo? They kinda look the same and have similar giant armored dudes, as well as one of the bosses, the blue eye stones, etc.

All those ruins in the water look so sad :smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jose posted:

No I just haven't needed a shield so far. I'm going to try summoning but wanted to give them a go solo but I'll get nowhere if they're resistant to magic.

Try actually playing the game as intended. You know, using the fight mechanics and stuff?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you like being invaded just join the rat covenant. You can make it a fair 1v1 by clearing the enemy spawns first and not activating the traps. Then all that's left to do is wait for them to come to you.

Naw, I like the spontaneity of invasions more than "organized" PvP. But it's true, I should do more arenas. Hopefully they're more active than the blue sentinel arenas since it took a long time to find anyone there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is there seriously that big of a population that doesn't know how dodge rolling works? The only shield I ever used in DS1 was the stam regen one so I could roll more. The first time I used a shield (on my first character in my first playthrough of this game) I got worse than I was just two handing a scimitar :v:

I'm sure some of the blame has to be placed on the fact that when you're summoned in to a world with increased Bonfire Intensity you're given no warning whatsoever so they're not really trying, but since that post I've gone through another 8 phantoms. Four of them actually made it to the boss with me! They all died to the boss's first three attacks though.

We had literally been in the arena long enough for me to cast one spell :downs:

If you want to watch other players die a lot there really is nothing better to do than summon people in to zones you've burned an Ascetic on. I have a feeling I could make it through this if I just fought the boss solo but it's too hilarious to me - I've seen maybe three of the now-67 dead players actually try to dodge an attack. Everyone else tries to block it and gets one-shot through their shield. I like to think I'm teaching them an important lesson about dodging :)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 4, 2014

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, I've just gotten past the Shrine of Amana and it occurred to me that I'm still using the Heide Knight Sword from the Forest of Fallen Giants. Are there any Faith-based weapons that might compete with a Lightning Heide Knight Sword +10? I could use a change.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Guys, where is the last of the four great souls?! I just beat the rat vangaurd, and all there was in the end was a rat king who offered me to join his covenant, after that it's back to the gutters where I had already defeated The Rotten, I have him, the lost sinner, and the Iron King, where to next?

also, something really odd happened, I was playing and suddenly I was summoned off (without making a soapstone) as a grey phantom, I killed the guy waiting for me, what was that all about?!

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Al-Saqr posted:

Guys, where is the last of the four great souls?! I just beat the rat vangaurd, and all there was in the end was a rat king who offered me to join his covenant, after that it's back to the gutters where I had already defeated The Rotten, I have him, the lost sinner, and the Iron King, where to next?

also, something really odd happened, I was playing and suddenly I was summoned off (without making a soapstone) as a grey phantom, I killed the guy waiting for me, what was that all about?!

The first one: Go to Brightstone Cove.

The Second, you got Ratbro-ed. Nice job killing him, though!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Umberger posted:

Someone earlier said that the VAC modules weren't actually loaded from release, and that they only showed up at the time of the patch.

Ah okay, i was assuming it was due to vac banned people getting blocked from online or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A.C. posted:

I'm playing a pure-sorcery gimmick character (no other elements, only weapon is a +0 dagger) and trying to kill Ascetic'd Najka for the ring. I decided I would summon people because this whole zone really sucks for me (at least the dagger does a shitload of backstab even at +0) and because summoning NG people to Ascetic'd zones is never not hilarious to me. I'm at 700k SM so I figured it would be people overleveled for regular Najka anyway and I expected a few funny deaths and then killing the boss.

Every single person has failed hilariously. I've been keeping a running tally and so far I have killed 59 phantoms this way (a couple were the same person a few times). Only five have actually made it to the boss. I can't not bust out laughing every time I summon two phantoms who charge headlong in to some lion warrior and both die to his very first swing. A lot of the time I summon two guys, who die to the first Lion Warrior, I kill it and summon two more, who die to the second, which I kill and summon two more only to have them die to the third.

It's absolutely comical and I don't think I will ever get bored of this.

e: Also gently caress NG+ Najka as a pure sorcery dude :( My sorceries barely scratch her and trying to range battle her is a recipe for death because it makes her dual-cast her HSM followed by Soul Geyser and sometimes the timing is literally impossible to dodge at range. I'm running with 5 VGR and I'm naked so everything kills me in one hit, of course.

It's almost like this game is designed with the assumption that you won't try to completely forgo qeapons or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al-Saqr posted:

Spiderville.

More specifically, you want to go to the Shaded Ruins (that super foggy area) through the Shaded Woods next. Look for the entrance to the area near where Things Betwixt leads out into Majula.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is there seriously that big of a population that doesn't know how dodge rolling works? The only shield I ever used in DS1 was the stam regen one so I could roll more. The first time I used a shield (on my first character in my first playthrough of this game) I got worse than I was just two handing a scimitar :v:

I bet all the people who have huge problems with Smelter Demon try to tank everything. He's like the Four Kings of DS2, only a problem for overly cautious tankers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's almost like this game is designed with the assumption that you won't try to completely forgo qeapons or something

It's fun as hell, though :colbert: I've already beat the game a bunch, all that's left is gimmick characters! Unupgraded dagger is a really fun weapon to use against non-boss enemies because it plinks away for like 20 damage unless you backstab, at which point it does ~700 damage. It makes combat exciting when backstabs are your only option and you actually do feel like some kind of badass rolling around with your entirely mundane dagger that's completely useless, but you're making it work anyway. I recommend it for anyone looking for a challenge run, just make sure you have another option on deck for bosses and things you can't backstab.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Finally got past Smelter Demon after around 15-20 tries. I tossed out the worthless Drangleic Shield, and actually had to choose equipment carefully, and I respecced myself to get an attunement slot for flash sweat. For a few hours, it actually felt like a Souls game, in a very good way! Up until that point I had killed the last five bosses in one or two attempts. Is it downhill from here then?

No no no, the drangleic shield is a stupidly good shield. Its like the silver knight shield of the game but you get it incredibly early limiting your medium shield choices :smith:. Shame parry doesn't seem as worthwhile here so you can move on over to tower shields.

Man I remember parrying the poo poo out of silver knight as they'd take forever to kill otherwise.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Oh cool. A buddy pointed out to me that the lord vessel is broken on the floor of the basement of the manor in Majula. Wonder if it's just an easter egg or if there is lore reasons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I still don't really get why they changed parries the way they did. Spontaneous death counters were way more fun than this make them slooowly fall over nonsense.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

LemonAIDS posted:

Oh cool. A buddy pointed out to me that the lord vessel is broken on the floor of the basement of the manor in Majula. Wonder if it's just an easter egg or if there is lore reasons.

Things betwixt vaguely looks like Ash lake, Hiede's tower vaguely looks like Anor Londo, Sublime bone dust vaguely references a chosen undead, I'm sure there are more, but I was more worried about the Jabba/medusa/iron king love triangle :v:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
So I'm trying to get the Chaos Storm pyromancy in Iron Keep, and I've noticed that no matter what I equip, my Fire Defense is stuck at 87. Then I noticed that *all* of my defense stats do not change when I change equipment. This is from the Player Status menu. What is going on?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Tykero posted:

So I'm trying to get the Chaos Storm pyromancy in Iron Keep, and I've noticed that no matter what I equip, my Fire Defense is stuck at 87. Then I noticed that *all* of my defense stats do not change when I change equipment. This is from the Player Status menu. What is going on?

I did the same thing. You have to look at the equip screen I think and it'll show the updated numbers.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Tykero posted:

Player Status doesn't change for some reason, so those are always your base stats. Check in the equipment menu to see your Real Fire Defense.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I still don't really get why they changed parries the way they did. Spontaneous death counters were way more fun than this make them slooowly fall over nonsense.

I think it was for PvP purposes so that you had a larger window to perform the killing blow, in case lag wasn't on your side. (:downs:) A lot of the changes they made from DS1 are loving stupid as hell.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm about to go into NG+, what do you guys do with your characters from here? He's a beefcake with base int and faith, should I just continue on the path of smashy or is branching out into miracles and poo poo viable in +?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
You don't need all four Old souls to open shrine of winter? My brother hasn't killed Freja but he stumbled into Drangleic castle. Just curious if he can actually meet Vendrick, get the ring and do the King Ring doors or do you at some point need all four of the souls to finish the game?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ekster posted:

I bet all the people who have huge problems with Smelter Demon try to tank everything. He's like the Four Kings of DS2, only a problem for overly cautious tankers.

It's a tight arena and he has delayed attacks, so it can be a pain to figure out when and where you need to roll to. That was my issue with him for the first however many times he killed me.

Except that one time I got sucked into a wall, that was just nonsense.

Sober posted:

You don't need all four Old souls to open shrine of winter? My brother hasn't killed Freja but he stumbled into Drangleic castle. Just curious if he can actually meet Vendrick, get the ring and do the King Ring doors or do you at some point need all four of the souls to finish the game?

Correct. The Shrine of Winter opens when you either get all four souls OR gain enough Soul Memory in your current game. 1 Million for NG. Nothing after that checks to see if you've accomplished either.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sober posted:

You just need SM 1,000,000+ for NG

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Man, just had my first instance of somebody hacking, Blue Sentinel'd into the Heide's Tower area, saw a guy with two friendly phantoms so I pulled back a little to the large circular area to give myself some room and then was suddenly teleported to the bonfire area onto the sword of one of the guys, boo, booooo!

Anybody else starting to see the modders and hackers? I just realised that without GFWL and usernames we can't actually report people so it's just down to VAC now I assume?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sober posted:

You can also jump onto the hill next to the shrine of winter, hop over the path, and run around to jump down behind the rubble that blocks the road, bypassing the shrine of winter completely.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

You just need SM 1,000,000+ for NG

Why they would put in a way to just outright skip the game's content through grinding is beyond me.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
You only need 1m soul memory to get into the Shrine of Winter if you don't have all 4 Wondrous souls on NG.

e;fb

It's also not so much a grinding thing as much as it is an alternate method -- some people can get it by doing invasions, others just end up hitting a brick wall yet want to progress, etc.

Really, all you have to do is make your soul more wondrous, more "vibrant" as opposed to meek and frail like the Emerald Herald said at the beginning. The four Wondrous Souls themselves aren't the key. Just a method to make your soul better.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm about to go into NG+, what do you guys do with your characters from here? He's a beefcake with base int and faith, should I just continue on the path of smashy or is branching out into miracles and poo poo viable in +?

Since soul level doesn't really matter, especially in NG+, just go into whatever. I think when I went into NG+ after farming the giant lord, I had like 42/42 int/faith, 30 attunement, and like 30 str and 26 dex.

Then I died to the first enemies you encounter.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Ive heard that Emerald Herald gives you poo poo if you progress without all four souls, which is a neat touch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

david... posted:

Anybody else starting to see the modders and hackers? I just realised that without GFWL and usernames we can't actually report people so it's just down to VAC now I assume?

There's a good number of them around, but you probably just lagged out there.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

david... posted:

Man, just had my first instance of somebody hacking, Blue Sentinel'd into the Heide's Tower area, saw a guy with two friendly phantoms so I pulled back a little to the large circular area to give myself some room and then was suddenly teleported to the bonfire area onto the sword of one of the guys, boo, booooo!

That just sounds like bad lag or packet loss for a while after you connected, you were probably just stood still for them.

Unless I'm misreading how it went down.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 4, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

david... posted:

You can go to the steam overlay, click 'view players' then the recent games tab and it will show the steam accounts you have been in game with sorted by time. If you click the profile link there will be a 'more' drop down box with a 'report violation' option.

I've run into a few hackers blue invading. One guy was farming the unending ghosts before vendrick with infinite hp and another guy stopped taking damage when he realized soul spear + homing soul mass wasn't going to cut it against me.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can also jump onto the hill next to the shrine of winter, hop over the path, and run around to jump down behind the rubble that blocks the road, bypassing the shrine of winter completely.

I don't mean to ruin the joke but is this true or just making fun of how the stone of winter only exists to circumvent a pile of rubble?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is the solar sword ( as in the sun bro reward for collecting 20 sun medallions) worth it? I'm more of a sword swinger type of warrior so I don't think the spear will do for me

Also, I really want to trade with straid for a boss item, but all of the weapons while big and awesome demands very high strength stat but in their base stats are weaker than what I've got know, or is the whole point that you buy them to upgrade them like crazy?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 4, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LtSmash posted:

You can go to the steam overlay, click 'view players' then the recent games tab and it will show the steam accounts you have been in game with sorted by time. If you click the profile link there will be a 'more' drop down box with a 'report violation' option.

I've run into a few hackers blue invading. One guy was farming the unending ghosts before vendrick with infinite hp and another guy stopped taking damage when he realized soul spear + homing soul mass wasn't going to cut it against me.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother farming when they've already cheated to be invincible. People are weird.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

I don't mean to ruin the joke but is this true or just making fun of how the stone of winter only exists to circumvent a pile of rubble?

It was true in the original version of the game but it has since been patched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TastyAvocado posted:

It was true in the original version of the game but it has since been patched out.

Awww, bonerz. What a thing to patch--sequence breaking is the best. I saw a speedrun where the first boss beaten was Dragonrider, the second boss beaten was also Dragonrider, and the third boss was More Dragonriders; why would you want to stop that?

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 4, 2014