Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bean Fried posted:

The problem is that Ali Abdel-Aziz, who isn't even a great promoter, is also the matchmaker while also having a day job as a fighter manager (albeit mostly for some UFC fighters), and he's loving horrible at actually using the whole roster. This has led to numerous notable talents retiring because of lack of fights (Din Thomas, Gilbert Yvel, Jorge Santiago, and Gerald Harris off the top of my head). They burned through their entire Welterweight division before making a title match between Josh Burkman and Steve Carl, and did the same thing at BW before Marlon Moraes tried to win.

They've managed to piss away their HW and LHW divisions both into utter states of disarray.

They've signed Ashley Evans-Smith after she beat Fallon Fox, but have signed no one for her to fight. Their women's Strawweight division is utterly hosed should Jessica Aguilar lose.

He has the matchmaking skills of a slightly above-average Sherdog fantasy-booker and the same level of tact to boot.

If Guillard doesn't win against JZ, watch AAA forget that he even exists.

Does WSOF not run shows in the US? Cuz my understanding is that being a promoter/manager violates the Muhammad Ali Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Nobody's sure if it even applies to MMA, nobody has the money or the inclination (yet) to go to court to find out, and nobody's ever been prosecuted under the act anyway.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Nobody's sure if it even applies to MMA, nobody has the money or the inclination (yet) to go to court to find out, and nobody's ever been prosecuted under the act anyway.

Of course.

That said, Kathy Duva just filed suit alleging Al Haymon violates the act, so we may have a first.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Triticum Guzzler posted:

You mean FFC? It's run by Orsat Zovko (Crocop's manager) and probably the manager of whichever Croatians end up on the card so be careful but it's good that he's got plenty of notice, and even when he ran the Glory show with Crocop/Bonjasky somehow they didn't give it to Mirko. However, the K-1 thing.

Yes, yes I do. He is still in great shape after his last win and is calling me about doing the Podcast which I'll probably start up again from scratch with a bit more control.

Can anyone Polish translate this?

http://sport.wp.pl/kat,60960,title,Thompson-zlekcewazyl-Pudzianowskiego,wid,16577093,wiadomosc.html

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Gregor Samsa posted:

Of course.

That said, Kathy Duva just filed suit alleging Al Haymon violates the act, so we may have a first.

Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Gregor Samsa posted:

Does WSOF not run shows in the US? Cuz my understanding is that being a promoter/manager violates the Muhammad Ali Act.

His company, Dominance MMA, still lists him as the founder in the first hit of a Google search, but he also claims to have stepped away from managing in an interview from about a year ago, which I was unaware of (he claims it's to focus his undivided attention on WSoF, which again he's done a horrible job of running).

I'm not 100% positive what the deal is with that, and are you sure the Ali Act is even applicable to MMA? My guess is either way, he doesn't care about things like "contract law," considering that according to Robert Sargent (who would know), he's already tried to poach several Invicta fighters, most notably Cyborg on multiple attempts, all of whom were under contract, in a rather clear case of Tortious Interference.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

he claims it's to focus his undivided attention on WSoF, which again he's done a horrible job of running

He's doing such a horrible job that WSoF is the only B-League I have any interest at all in watching. They have 4 interesting weight divisions (maybe 3, cant remember any known featherweights) which is alot more than any other B-League promotion, and aren't placing themselves as a direct competitor to UFC but more as a feeder-league for prospects or washups trying to get back.

RIP Strikeforce and Scott Coker.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Rumina Sato finally retired today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHOmYaw9GE

Fought every single one of his fights for Shooto, even though Joe Silva would've killed his own mother to sign him, even when PRIDE brought far bigger money to the lighter weights he never wavered :patriot:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My favorite Rumina Sato anecdote is after getting his first professional loss against Joel Gerson, he flew to Canada specifically and solely for the purpose of entering the Canadian Jiujitu Championship tournament because Gerson was competing in it and he wanted his win back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSQFvZRa9M

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Speaking of Scott Coker, is he still under UFC employ? I'd be curious to see if he'd go back into fight promoting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

coconono posted:

Speaking of Scott Coker, is he still under UFC employ? I'd be curious to see if he'd go back into fight promoting.

No clue, but I found this while looking.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

coconono posted:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/with-zuffa-contract-complete-former-strikeforce-boss-plans-to-travel-not-promote

his contract was up last month, he's not under a non compete clause but he's not planning to immediately jump into promoting anyway

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I could swear I watched a Fitch/Shields grappling match already, possibly with some Shields kid yelling out instructions to daddy nonstop. That was pretty good, but the yelling is going to keep me from googling it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I remember Bellator seeming like a semi-legitamate organization. Not it's barely a step above Retard Jim's Ho-Down Slap Fights and 50 Cent Wing night. What happened?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Captain Log posted:

I remember Bellator seeming like a semi-legitamate organization. Not it's barely a step above Retard Jim's Ho-Down Slap Fights and 50 Cent Wing night. What happened?

Of course.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

It's always been super shady, it's just harder to make embarrassing mistakes when your roster is 99% guys who would be extremely happy to win 100K for three fights.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
LOL someone I barely talk to at work just asked me what bar they can catch the Bellator PPV at. I thought he was kidding but I guess he wasn't.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

LOL someone I barely talk to at work just asked me what bar they can catch the Bellator PPV at. I thought he was kidding but I guess he wasn't.

That is a plant that works for Bellator. Hide your pets :ohdear:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I have a feeling Dave and Busters is the only place carrying that.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

@InsideMMAaxstv 45s
RT @cagepotatomma: Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos Calls It Quits After Quick TKO Loss to Melvin Manhoef in Rematch

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
wtf, Jonathan Brookins fought for Legacy 2 months ago? Why didn't the UFC want him? Seems kind of odd considering how they normally treat TUF winners.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

wtf, Jonathan Brookins fought for Legacy 2 months ago? Why didn't the UFC want him? Seems kind of odd considering how they normally treat TUF winners.

They probably want to see if he's got his head-stuff sorted or he'll flake out.

Also, Rin Nakai is fighting Sarah D'Alelio, so I expect Pancrase has made it a "Only people named Rin Nakai can punch or kick or grapple" fight, so expect Rin to win a majority decision.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wes Swafford, for kneeing a man in the balls and then, as soon as he's recovered and clinched with you, going for an uchi-mata, I salute you. That's an inventiveness in dickery that Cheick Kongo wishes he had thought of.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Wes Swafford, for kneeing a man in the balls and then, as soon as he's recovered and clinched with you, going for an uchi-mata, I salute you. That's an inventiveness in dickery that Cheick Kongo wishes he had thought of.

Further dickery has led to a point deduction, this MFC fight is funny as heck

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

Aleksandr Emelianenko, who was on the run, hit a light pole in city of Tambov, and was arrested for rape (original charge)

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
i dont know about rape, nastula put up a good fight before gassing out

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
alternate joke:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this coupled with bellator's implosion loving elohel at all non uufc mma and also ufc features eddie wineland on the fukcng prelims i love this sport

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

At Fight UK Nathias Frederick knocked a guy out and wouldn't stop hitting him, so the ref Leon Roberts took his back and put him in a quick RNC. Go to 6:31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

At Fight UK Nathias Frederick knocked a guy out and wouldn't stop hitting him, so the ref Leon Roberts took his back and put him in a quick RNC. Go to 6:31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU

You can actually link directly to times in youtube videos, like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU#t=6m31s

So if you put it in video tags, you get an embedded video that goes directly to the correct time when you hit play -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU&t=391s

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

In case there is a stream of the event later, I will spoil the big Pancrase news:

Rin Nakai beat Sarah D'Alelio by unanimous decision

Highlights from the play-by-play:

(Rin) sneezing almost one min.

(Rin) catches her arm and jarking

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

James Thompson posted:

To make a 120kg my cheat day meal has been reduced to a large bottle of Yazoo Strawberry milkshake. To fight and make 120kg I have to eat clean and train constantly, being colossal can be a real pain in the arse.

I was hoping to tell you some big news about a big fight in the works but since the promotions golden boy now looks like a lump lead painted yellow, it might be off. Because god forgive I should loving win and a promotion has to get behind me! It's annoying on many levels because I'm in the best shape I've been in (Phil Baroni voice) EVER! I just need a chance... Patience, I just need to have patience....

So many fights that never were . It's really getting on my loving tits. So instead of my planned big fight announcement here's me enjoying my Strawberry Yazoo

Promoters only want to talk to JT when they think they can bring him in to lose :(

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
he's a big boy and can surely spring for a frijj rather than a yazoo

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

LobsterMobster posted:

In case there is a stream of the event later, I will spoil the big Pancrase news:

That's loving lame. I train with Sara, but didn't see the fight. Was it any good?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

TheTrend posted:

That's loving lame. I train with Sara, but didn't see the fight. Was it any good?

No idea. From the more readable PbP, Rin basically took Sarah down each round and looked for a kimura the entire time.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

willie_dee posted:

Promoters only want to talk to JT when they think they can bring him in to lose :(

How JT can't get signed to Zuffa in this 48 event or whatever a year world is beyond me

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

My favorite Rumina Sato anecdote is after getting his first professional loss against Joel Gerson, he flew to Canada specifically and solely for the purpose of entering the Canadian Jiujitu Championship tournament because Gerson was competing in it and he wanted his win back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSQFvZRa9M
A good effort

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LobsterMobster posted:

Was Rin wearing clothes this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc