Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

That just sounds like bad lag or packet loss for a while after you connected, you were probably just stood still for them.

Unless I'm misreading how it went down.

No it was all running nice and smooth and there was a large space of time where we were sort of facing off a little over a large distance and then as soon as I started to back up into a larger area I got teleported literally on to a backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Got any advice for fighting the Darklurker as a melee build? I've heard fire is useful, but I'm not a mage and my Fire longsword +10 does poo poo all damage compared to my Royal Greatsword +10 since I'm at 40 Str and Dex. I can bring him down to 50% hp but can't handle two at the same time.

I'm actually thinking of respeccing as a mage just for this fight, since I have more than one respec urn.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Ive heard that Emerald Herald gives you poo poo if you progress without all four souls, which is a neat touch.

She outright tells you that your soul still seems a little weak, so you should go back and strengthen it with the great souls.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

david... posted:

No it was all running nice and smooth and there was a large space of time where we were sort of facing off a little over a large distance and then as soon as I started to back up into a larger area I got teleported literally on to a backstab.

Connection hiccup. He had been running towards you all the time while you were thinking it was a standoff, but on his client he simply walked up, circled around, backstabbed. When your connection fixed itself, his client said, "BTW I just backstabbed you for 900 damage," and yours said, "Oh, really? I guess I better fall down then."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

Is the solar sword ( as in the sun bro reward for collecting 20 sun medallions) worth it? I'm more of a sword swinger type of warrior so I don't think the spear will do for me

The Sun Sword is basically a longsword with less base damage but it has better scaling (AA for STR/DEX at +10, BB otherwise) and has a thrusting R2 attack when one handed. Don't infuse it because it pretty much wrecks any damage output.

Elman posted:

Got any advice for fighting the Darklurker as a melee build? I've heard fire is useful, but I'm not a mage and my Fire longsword +10 does poo poo all damage compared to my Royal Greatsword +10 since I'm at 40 Str and Dex. I can bring him down to 50% hp but can't handle two at the same time.

I'm actually thinking of respeccing as a mage just for this fight, since I have more than one respec urn.

The go-to advice I've heard from people who've melee'd is use the ring that drops enemy poise further and stunlock it with double clubs or maces.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Elman posted:

Sprint like a motherfucker. Run around all the time until an opening shows up. Ideally you get both of them to melee you, in sync, but you can get hits in when one of them is doing the laser, for example.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
How the hell are you supposed to pvp with this much desync? I can't count the number of times I've been teleported halfway across the area to get stabbed in the back.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is it implied that Hiede's tower of flame is the remnants of Anor Londo? They kinda look the same and have similar giant armored dudes, as well as one of the bosses, the blue eye stones, etc.

All those ruins in the water look so sad :smith:

Do remember that Anor Londo basically sat on top of a mountain. It could still be some super ruined and flooded Anor Londo but it feels like forcing it for the sake of ANOR LONDO IS IN THIS GAME when there's much simpler explanations regarding, well, everything. The giant armored dudes also resemble stone knights way more than the sentinels in Anor Londo, but I haven't really gone and looked at them closely in a while. The game makes a lot of callbacks and likes drawing on the legacy of Dark Souls' aesthetics but it's more about parallels than actually trying to stick things from the Dark Souls into the secod game.

Where Drangleic is in relation to Lordran, Vinheim, etc. is pretty vague because we didn't really have an idea of where Lordran was. It consisted of Anor Londo and its surrounding areas at the very least but there wasn't an ocean or anything, it seemed to be a landlocked nation. Meanwhile, Drangleic is explicitly on a large landmass, though I hesitate to call it a continent simply because we don't really have a good reference for scale. If the continent is large enough, it's quite possible for Lordran and Vinheim to be part of it. There's also the fact that while Drangleic was once a dominant power, it didn't just blanket the land with its civilization. We see locations where pre-Drangleic ruins are still there because they never bothered inhabiting some areas. Earthen Peak and Iron Keep aren't really in keeping with the rest of the Drangleic stuff we see and the lore implies that it was its own kingdom or something rather than part of Drangleic whenever its inhabitants were still human.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Elman posted:

Assuming you at least have pyromancies, I beat it using the Black Knight Halberd, dodging all its attacks while getting a few hits in, and when it splits use chaos storm to one shot it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What is the recommended level of ATT for Clerics? I want to be able to cast my miracles as fast as possible without sacrificing too much of the rest of the stats.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I asked earlier in the thread about strength weapons that aren't giant unwieldy bastards, if any exist. Someone replied that the Estoc was good, but it has a C strength scaling. Does scaling increase in grade with reinforcement or something?

On the subject of fast weapons, what is it about dex/dex weapons that supposedly scales badly?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Elman posted:

Firestorm with a +10 pyro worked for me during that phase, and I only have 10 Int and 10 Fth. It has targeting issues, but you have 4 casts, depending on his attacks you should at least get off two or three. Also note, I think that being a creature of dark, he would be weak against lightning.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

Those can be player characters??? :psyduck:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Doctor Zaius posted:

How the hell are you supposed to pvp with this much desync? I can't count the number of times I've been teleported halfway across the area to get stabbed in the back.

It happens occasionally but it shouldn't happen all the time. Should check if cross-region play is "allowed" in the options.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I've got cross-region play set to restricted and desync still seems way worse than it ever was in DS1.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
I was fighting my first mimic in Earthen Peak and it happened to die after me (because of poison). Is there any way I can get the Hook it drops? It seems to have disappeared since I didn't pick up the loot and died.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is there a way of renaming a already existing character? I don't particularly feel like remaking a punching guy, and TommyRayHandly doesn't really fit for a crazy bladefisted monster

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

david... posted:

Anybody else starting to see the modders and hackers? I just realised that without GFWL and usernames we can't actually report people so it's just down to VAC now I assume?

I hear that if you pray to the VAC god, it may hear your plea, but only if your soul is pure.

Seriously, VAC is trash. The Steamworks API doesn't even give the developers the ability to say "hey I've figured out with my actual code looking at things that this guy's cheating, ban them (preferably not forever because false positives exist you morons)". All they can do is report hacking tools, and Valve might do something about it:

quote:

VAC works by scanning a users system for known cheats, but new cheats are being authored all the time. Players of your game are going to find instances of cheating software. When they do, forward them on to us to be added to the database. Email valveanticheat@valvesoftware.com with the name of the game and attach an installer or zip file containing the actual cheat software. (Note that many cheats include other malware, such as keystroke loggers and viruses, so exercise caution handling these files.)

Valve will scan and create signatures of those cheats to be added to our database. Once running on the live system for a few days, we'll confirm that the files really constitute a cheat, or determine which parts of the software are the cheat-active parts (and not some other benign redistributable). Once confirmed, then bans will be enforced and the marked users will be banned. Note that there will still always be some amount of delay in banning newly-detected cheaters--this is by design, as part of a strategy to make it more difficult for cheat authors to rapidly iterate on their work.

Note that this is a public plea, so they'll get a lot of noise and nonsense and their responses will not be candid since they could be talking to a hacker who's probing the defenses. VAC's primary weapon is security through obscurity, which is a pejorative term in developer circles. It will never stop save game editing, ever, or do sanity checks on characters. Game state editing and network packet injection is a little dicier.

LtSmash posted:

You can go to the steam overlay, click 'view players' then the recent games tab and it will show the steam accounts you have been in game with sorted by time. If you click the profile link there will be a 'more' drop down box with a 'report violation' option.

What do you think that's going to do? That's totally separate from the Steamworks API, so the game can't send any data along with the report or pay special attention to that account or even tell what character it was. Considering how often people scream "OMG AIMBOT HAX FFFFFF" when someone's actually slightly competent at a game or when bad netcode acts up, multiple reports for the same account mean nothing. This looks more like a stress reliever route, to make you think that this does something when it's really going to /dev/null.

FROM could independently do quite a bit of work, but it sounds like they have the same pure peer trust netcode where you tell the other player "I just hit you for this much damage" with no attempt at peer confirmation of game state. If there is nothing there (and desync can be crazy, I saw a guy running around on the ceiling, so no), it's very unlikely they'll add it in a patch, because secure netcode is something you need to base the entire framework around (and you don't need to go to a Diablo 3 extreme to do it). The real hope is in another sanity checking observer, just like in Dark Souls 1, and hope that it won't get you VAC banned for blocking connections with cheaters.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

keyframe posted:

What is the recommended level of ATT for Clerics? I want to be able to cast my miracles as fast as possible without sacrificing too much of the rest of the stats.

You basically have no reason whatsoever not to take it to 40 because it gives you more slots, more casts and a faster cast speed.

You have even less reason than hexers not to take it to 40 because you only have one offensive stat.

Just take VGR/END/VIT to 10, then work on getting ATN and FTH up to 40 in step.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Ciaphas posted:

I asked earlier in the thread about strength weapons that aren't giant unwieldy bastards, if any exist. Someone replied that the Estoc was good, but it has a C strength scaling. Does scaling increase in grade with reinforcement or something?

On the subject of fast weapons, what is it about dex/dex weapons that supposedly scales badly?

No, the estoc is not a very good strength weapon. It has crap str scaling, just better scaling than other straight swords.. The mace and club are both great weapons that aren't unweildy and have great scaling.

And it's mostly the damage of dex weapons that scales badly, and lots of enemies having decent resists to slash damage.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
re: VAC bans

People keep saying that the bans usually take like 2 weeks to become active, but the truth is the exact time is deliberately different in each case and it can take even several months. So you can be using the graphic enhancer or Cheat Engine and feel like you got away with it and then 7 months later when you completely forgot about it you notice on your account settings page you're VAC banned and probably not even realizing for what since surely it can't be for something you did so long ago, right?

The only reason I know is because I was a dick and got a ban on my friend's account back in high school. He was the only person I knew at the time who actually bought Counter-Strike and that was his only game on there which he wasn't even playing, so he lent me his login details and I was messing around with aimbot (what can I say, I was dumber back then!). I stopped playing it after two weeks and he got a ban because of me 7 months later.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Doctor Zaius posted:

I've got cross-region play set to restricted and desync still seems way worse than it ever was in DS1.

Thats because the regions are "North America", "Japan" and "Everywhere else"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quick question about Dark scaling and Hex damage: I keep hearing that the best way to get the most out of it is to have equal amounts of Intelligence and Faith, but is there a penalty for having different values? Say I have 30/30 Intelligence and Faith, will I do less damage if I add a point of Intelligence and have 31/30, or will the damage be unchanged? What if I have 99/30? Will I do less damage than 30/30 or the same?

Edit: Also, what is a good shield for a Crypt Blacksword build?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2014

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok this is what I've found out.

Keyboard/mouse is a horrible thing to try and use on this game. Get a loving controller.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Do the three different statues in the way of blue sparring room actually do anything different?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Time_pants posted:

Quick question about Dark scaling and Hex damage: I keep hearing that the best way to get the most out of it is to have equal amounts of Intelligence and Faith, but is there a penalty for having different values? Say I have 30/30 Intelligence and Faith, will I do less damage if I add a point of Intelligence and have 31/30, or will the damage be unchanged? What if I have 99/30? Will I do less damage than 30/30 or the same?

It uses the lower of the two stats plain and simple

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Captain Oblivious posted:

It uses the lower of the two stats plain and simple

Awesome. That's what I thought.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Time_pants posted:

Edit: Also, what is a good shield for a Crypt Blacksword build?

Hexes scale with the lower of the two stats so you have to level them equally or you get nothing

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yodzilla posted:

Those can be player characters??? :psyduck:

Imagine if a player character with the Knight's shield could summon another, smaller, player. :haw:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Three words: gently caress the Bellfry.

Everything about that loving place is terrible.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Making it 1v1 would make it a happier place.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok this is what I've found out.

Keyboard/mouse is a horrible thing to try and use on this game. Get a loving controller.

The absolutely worst thing is that the mouse clicks have some freaking lag and when you spam clicking nothing happens while if you spam the attack key on the keyboard it works normally really loving dumb

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's not true. If you jump off the ledge at the start after killing a guy as a bellbro, your body is suddenly shot straight upwards into space as it disintegrates.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I did it!

It was both fun and a bit frustrating at once.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Argas posted:

Do remember that Anor Londo basically sat on top of a mountain. It could still be some super ruined and flooded Anor Londo but it feels like forcing it for the sake of ANOR LONDO IS IN THIS GAME when there's much simpler explanations regarding, well, everything. The giant armored dudes also resemble stone knights way more than the sentinels in Anor Londo, but I haven't really gone and looked at them closely in a while. The game makes a lot of callbacks and likes drawing on the legacy of Dark Souls' aesthetics but it's more about parallels than actually trying to stick things from the Dark Souls into the secod game.

Where Drangleic is in relation to Lordran, Vinheim, etc. is pretty vague because we didn't really have an idea of where Lordran was. It consisted of Anor Londo and its surrounding areas at the very least but there wasn't an ocean or anything, it seemed to be a landlocked nation. Meanwhile, Drangleic is explicitly on a large landmass, though I hesitate to call it a continent simply because we don't really have a good reference for scale. If the continent is large enough, it's quite possible for Lordran and Vinheim to be part of it. There's also the fact that while Drangleic was once a dominant power, it didn't just blanket the land with its civilization. We see locations where pre-Drangleic ruins are still there because they never bothered inhabiting some areas. Earthen Peak and Iron Keep aren't really in keeping with the rest of the Drangleic stuff we see and the lore implies that it was its own kingdom or something rather than part of Drangleic whenever its inhabitants were still human.

Lordran and its environs were held aloft by the Archtrees, which is why the area you first meet Solaire has the whole sea of clouds vista thing going for it. Given that DS2 is several centuries in the future (and the position of the Archtrees in Things Betwixt), it's completely possible that the landmass is now at shoreline level of the Ash Lake or the Kiln of the First Flame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm on my first playthrough in the post game collecting poo poo, can I sunbro for people in ng+? During my collectathon I've managed to get to arouns SL ~170 (I know this doesn't matter) and my SM is over two million so I'd likely have to if I want Sunlight Spear before moving on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

david... posted:

Making it 1v1 would make it a happier place.

There've been so many times I've been a couple good hits from killing one of those overleveled, overequipped motherfuckers and getting on with my life when another one spawns in behind me and hits me with a spell (whose hit box is like 5 times larger than it should be due to laggy netcode) to instantly kill me. :negative:

Not that it matters, because trying to kill the gargoyles with dual swords is like trying to pull my own teeth with a pair of chopsticks.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is Heide actually mentioned anywhere in the game? The area is called Heide's Tower of Flame but I don't recall him every coming up even in the lore. Is it just like Sen's Fortress where the name is a mystery?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Heide actually mentioned anywhere in the game? The area is called Heide's Tower of Flame but I don't recall him every coming up even in the lore. Is it just like Sen's Fortress where the name is a mystery?

From the armor description on the wiki: "Whether Heide refers to a kingdom or was just a name for the land is not clear, for no records date back far enough to tell.
All that is known is that the Way of Blue has its origins in Heide, and that Heide was later subsumed by the sea."

The lesson being, always read item descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

From the Heide Knight Greathelm:

Whether Heide refers to a kingdom or
was just a name for the land is not clear,
for no records date back far enough to tell.

All that is known is that the Way of Blue
has its origins in Heide, and that Heide
was later subsumed by the sea.

efb