Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nice recap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Victorious randomgod. He started with W9F9E2 and I empowered him to what you see here. Though low S means you must be very careful with magic duel, a W9F9 caster can easily teleport in and annihilate armies with decent research, which he did on a few occasions.

Seconding the nice recap. One thing I'm curious about : Was there any particular reason you didn't have your statue casting firestorm instead of acid storm? Or casting both?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

Seconding the nice recap. One thing I'm curious about : Was there any particular reason you didn't have your statue casting firestorm instead of acid storm? Or casting both?

I actually had both scripted but hed only do the first storm scripted. I dunno why so I scripted acid first since there is no acid resist. Statue gonna do whatever he wants to do I guess.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Commenting on the randomnation game, I had a lot of success against Patadonia with my frozen heart machine guns, but they were totally ineffective against the undead chaff that Nuclearmonkee brought to the table later.

It seems like you have to walk a fine line between Cleansing Water and Frozen Heart/Falling Frost later on, or just err on the side of Summon Water Elementals if you aren't sure what the best option will be.

Also, I handed over too many Bottles of Living Water which just made a defense even harder to mount. Gotta be careful with those, for as good as they are.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wait why do you have to be careful with bottles of living water?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

How are u posted:

You have to be careful trading them away, because they're really good, and giving your enemy a bunch can backfire

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

How are u posted:

Unlike other gem expenditures, items can be transferred to the enemy when you lose a fight. Summons and battle magic gem expenditures just disappear by comparison.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lprsti99 posted:

You have to be careful trading them away, because they're really good, and giving your enemy a bunch can backfire

Oh I gotcha now. Yeah I wouldn't be forging bottles of living water for a potential enemy unless I was getting something pretty swell in return. Those things are fantastic when you can really crank them out.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

How are u posted:

Oh I gotcha now. Yeah I wouldn't be forging bottles of living water for a potential enemy unless I was getting something pretty swell in return. Those things are fantastic when you can really crank them out.

And everyone is a potential enemy unless you're playing a disciples game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Absum posted:

I was Caelum, Ilanin was Midgard :v:

I'm really bad with names. :shobon:

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Unlike other gem expenditures, items can be transferred to the enemy when you lose a fight. Summons and battle magic gem expenditures just disappear by comparison.

I've donated tons of poo poo to enemies this way. Forging stuff is not smart unless you know how to actually use it all. :downs:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah, not so much trading a lot of them, but more getting your own guys with them killed and looted. I did this for at least 6 of them in Dom4vstheworld.

e: it's one of those items that counters itself more or less perfectly, so for bottles in particular it's important not to lose too many

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Do Ice Elementals (from bottles in cold provs) have a freezing aura? I could see that causing trouble in some circumstances.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Ice Eles do, yes.

Safest places to use bottles on offense are for thugging down undefended provinces that just have PD. That way there's less of a risk of a bottle falling into an enemy commander's hands. On defense, you could use them on commanders set to retreat. The elemental will keep fighting even if the bottle owner runs safely off so long as there is other magical leadership in the fight.

Otherwise you have to be confident enough in winning and/or accept the possibility that you may have just delivered some water gems and mage time directly to the enemy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Lprsti99 posted:

What's so great about them? I never really thought about them before.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Water eles are badass and you get a fresh one each battle. It also stops most assassin spells and units in their tracks. Pretty great use of Ws.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Also, please be loving careful when positioning mercury eles. I once had an amazing battle where I lost quite a few of my human force due to my mercury eles' poison aura. I had no other casualties though.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Jabarto posted:

They're very tanky muscle with a ton of effective health (due to their many wounded shapes). This gives raiding thugs time to buff up while enemies chew on the ele.

They become as mobile as the commander they're on - the play really nicely on stealthers, assassins, flyers and amphibious troops for this reason. You can also shuttle a bunch from one front in a war to another just by tossing them in a lab and re-equipping them elsewhere.

They regenerate underwater. They're resistant to poison and heat (or cold if they're an Ice elemental), so you can use them with things like Foul Vapors, Fire Brands or Snake Bladders without worry.

They're just very solid all around.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They also pay for themselves very quickly; even if you only count them as replacing a single gem on a w3 caster per battle, instead on their much greater utility on non-mages and turns of scripting.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I loaded a game with the Debug mod and tried it out. Those things really are amazing simply for being able to soak up a cavalry charge, let alone everything else. I'll definitely be crafting these from now on.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What are the typical gold and research settings for multiplayer games? In single-player, I tend to go with max gold and resources and slowest possible research, which I suspect isn't the same pace as multi-player.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Vanilla settings, or Easy Research if it's a duel/Blitz. Gold is normally unchanged, same's true of site frequency, indie strength etc.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ynglaur posted:

What are the typical gold and research settings for multiplayer games? In single-player, I tend to go with max gold and resources and slowest possible research, which I suspect isn't the same pace as multi-player.

Default-everything except Throne points and Throne victory percentage which are dependent on player count, and turning Renaming on.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
That and score graphs, no?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mecharasputin posted:

That and score graphs, no?

Score graphs are off by default and stay off for multiplayer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Games with and without scoregraphs play very differently. Scoregraphs on was the default for dom3 and they lead to much more diplomacy based games because you want to team up on the biggest player, eat the weakest players, so on. Scoregraphs off is much more information based and can lead to things like exchanging gold/gems for information, and increases the importance of scouting.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

So magic can be a bit of a bitch to figure out how to properly use.

1) Should I be changing my scripting on a per-turn basis? I.E. if I have my E3F1 dudes scripted to cast magma eruption and have given them earth gems to supplement this process, should I nuke their scripts when they're set to invade a province with 3 guys?

2) Is there an easier way to do scripting? It's not exactly hard, but it does tend to be a bit time-consuming, and it'd be handy if there was a 'duplicate command' hotkey or something so I can click "Cast spell > magma eruption" and then just press shift-anykey to replicate that five times instead of cast spell > magma eruption > cast spell> etc etc.

3) Fatigue management. The good spells tend to be very fatigue-consuming. I'd prefer to have my mages not die. Should I be using communions whenever I want to start casting the nastier spells, should I just never not load up on the pertinent gems, or should I not worry about my dude casting to 160 fatigue? (also if anyone cares to explain the principles behind gems/communions/spell levels and how they deal with fatigue, that'd be super <3).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

So magic can be a bit of a bitch to figure out how to properly use.

1) Should I be changing my scripting on a per-turn basis? I.E. if I have my E3F1 dudes scripted to cast magma eruption and have given them earth gems to supplement this process, should I nuke their scripts when they're set to invade a province with 3 guys?

2) Is there an easier way to do scripting? It's not exactly hard, but it does tend to be a bit time-consuming, and it'd be handy if there was a 'duplicate command' hotkey or something so I can click "Cast spell > magma eruption" and then just press shift-anykey to replicate that five times instead of cast spell > magma eruption > cast spell> etc etc.

3) Fatigue management. The good spells tend to be very fatigue-consuming. I'd prefer to have my mages not die. Should I be using communions whenever I want to start casting the nastier spells, should I just never not load up on the pertinent gems, or should I not worry about my dude casting to 160 fatigue? (also if anyone cares to explain the principles behind gems/communions/spell levels and how they deal with fatigue, that'd be super <3).

Mouseover a completed script and use CTRL+1-9 to copy. Mouseover another script and 1-9 to paste.

If you have guys scripted to use gems and don't want them to use them on a particular turn or battle, then you should just take their gems away and put them on another commander. Scouts tagging along stealthily are popular for this purpose.

As for communions:

quote:

For every power of 2 slaves that you have in a battle (2, 4, 8, 16), you increase the power of your ALL masters by 1 in all of their paths. So assuming you have three Fire 1 Astral 1 Masters and four Astral 1 Slaves, you will increase the power of your Masters to Fire 3 Astral 3.

Additionally, when the masters cast spells the fatigue is divided between themselves and the slaves. So if the master casts a 20 fatigue spell and there are 4 slaves, the master an each slave should get 4 fatigue (20 divided by 5).

For a detailed explanation, http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1316

Ignore the parts about anything having to do with reverse communions. Those no longer work.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 5, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you have guys scripted to use gems and don't want them to use them on a particular turn or battle, then you should just take their gems away and put them on another commander. Scouts tagging along stealthily are popular for this purpose.

As for gem use - as far as I know, you just load your guy up with gems and assume that he'll use them to power up for a spell he's too low for, to power up for a high-fatigue spell, and to cast a spell that requires gems - all of this limited by the number of gems he can use, which is path+1. Am I missing anything?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hi, I'm playing a multiplayer game with friends and suddenly this icon appeared over one of the opponents and I have no clue what it means. My friend who's pretty experienced has never seen it either. What is it?

The province info doesn't say anything different from the usual.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pillage?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

As for gem use - as far as I know, you just load your guy up with gems and assume that he'll use them to power up for a spell he's too low for, to power up for a high-fatigue spell, and to cast a spell that requires gems - all of this limited by the number of gems he can use, which is path+1. Am I missing anything?

Can only use a number of gems equal to your path level. Also you can only boost your skill in a path by one with gems though you can burn multiples to reduce the incurred fatigue. So for example an E2 cannot cast an E4 spell by boosting with 2 gems, but a W2 could cast Summon Water Elemental (W3 requirement, 100 fatigue, 1 gem) with 2 gems and only incur 50 base fatigue.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ChickenWing posted:

You will not kill yourself with fatigue. They will happily cast away until over 100 and then take a nap. Only by plugging into the communion and forcing the fatigue onto slaves are you going to kill your own guys. You just have to weigh that risk. Can you win the battle before you mages dumping spells kill all of your slaves.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can only use a number of gems equal to your path level. Also you can only boost your skill in a path by one with gems though you can burn multiples to reduce the incurred fatigue. So for example an E2 cannot cast an E4 spell by boosting with 2 gems, but a W2 could cast Summon Water Elemental (W3 requirement, 100 fatigue, 1 gem) with 2 gems and only incur 50 base fatigue.

Okay, but it's entirely automatic and not something I can micromanage then?

Also, what does setting conservative gem usage do?

In a communion, once the masters run off script, are they likely to merk all of their slaves if the battle goes on long enough?

Finally, after reading that communions bit, reverse communions sound very fiddly and silly and I'm not surprised you can't do them anymore (although I am proud of myself for thinking of that idea before I'd read about them :sun:).

I would be bothering the IRC crew about this but workfilters :smith:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Daynab posted:

Hi, I'm playing a multiplayer game with friends and suddenly this icon appeared over one of the opponents and I have no clue what it means. My friend who's pretty experienced has never seen it either. What is it?

The province info doesn't say anything different from the usual.
It's a Raid icon, I think.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Okay, but it's entirely automatic and not something I can micromanage then?

Also, what does setting conservative gem usage do?

In a communion, once the masters run off script, are they likely to merk all of their slaves if the battle goes on long enough?

Finally, after reading that communions bit, reverse communions sound very fiddly and silly and I'm not surprised you can't do them anymore (although I am proud of myself for thinking of that idea before I'd read about them :sun:).

I would be bothering the IRC crew about this but workfilters :smith:

Conservative usage makes them always use the minimum number of gems required to cast the spell without burning any to reduce fatigue. And yes, gem usage is automatic and you are at the mercy of your mage's whim as to whether or not he decides to burn them. Masters will happily murder all of their slaves with fatigue and it happens pretty regularly. You can alleviate it with spells like relief or summon earthpower/personal regeneration cast by a communion master. Fatigue translates very favorably to damage so regeneration is a great boon, though you may end up with lots of muted or even feebleminded slaves.

Or you could put a whole bunch of slaves with fewer masters and everyone will be perfectly safe. It is however, a poor use of mages and it is generally more efficient to push the slaves right to the cusp of death as much as possible.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Your mages will happily blast away and blow up your slaves while the enemy army is routing off of the field already defeated.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Your mages will happily blast away and blow up your slaves while the enemy army is routing off of the field already defeated.

Look, it was absolutely critical to get those last 3 blade winds in on those 7 fleeing militia. Do you know how close he was to getting on the hall of fame?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Alright cool. I'm asking because I played a godawful EA TC game with a buddy last night vs a bunch of AI and got hilariously roflstomped and I'm reasonably certain it was because I didn't use mages worth a drat (as that seems to be TC's *thing*). I'd like to figure my rear end from my elbow before the upcoming newbie game starts so that I'm not immediately merked by my fellow scrubs.

Also holy god I'm bad at remembering things. I'm pretty sure I forgot recruitment one out of three turns, and I was so concerned with sending expansion parties out that I didn't remember to start building forts. Also, having AI Tir na n'Og, Abysia and Ermor gang up on me sucked a whole bunch :v:

E: I forgot a fatigue question. Do your paths have an effect on how much fatigue a spell takes? E.G. If a W9 mage casts a W4 spell, do those extra 5 Ws reduce the fatigue at all?

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 5, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes! Every extra path reduces fatigue by half, so a 80 fat spell cast at minimum gives you 80 fat + the base spellcasting fatigue. But casting it at +1 gives 40, and at +2 gives 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Yes! Every extra path reduces fatigue by half, so a 80 fat spell cast at minimum gives you 80 fat + the base spellcasting fatigue. But casting it at +1 gives 40, and at +2 gives 20.

It's actually base fatigue / (mage path level - required path level + 1)

So 100% for meeting the requirement, 50% for +1, 33% +2 etc

• Locked thread