Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Are white Republicans more racist than White Democrats?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

Kind of, yea but not by much. More importantly there seems to be a large group of white people who are comfortable being racist in dog whistle terms "hard working" vs "lazy" but are less interested in overt racism like being unwilling to vote for a black politician. Also while all of it has improved drastically since 1990 it appears to have ground to a halt since '08. It hasn't worsened, just stalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Relentlessboredomm posted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

Kind of, yea but not by much. More importantly there seems to be a large group of white people who are comfortable being racist in dog whistle terms "hard working" vs "lazy" but are less interested in overt racism like being unwilling to vote for a black politician. Also while all of it has improved drastically since 1990 it appears to have ground to a halt since '08. It hasn't worsened, just stalled.

Saw this study, and it made me weep. I guess the only way to get past the race problem is really to fall off the demographic cliff or whatever it's being called this week. I'd hoped that the Democrats would have managed to convince some people that race is a dead concept, but I guess there's not much that can be done about the issue at all.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 4, 2014

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

rkajdi posted:

Saw this study, and it made me weep. I guess the only way to get past the race problem is really to fall off the demographic cliff or whatever it's being called this week.

My Father in law is a perfect example of that. He's in his 60's, a democrat, is active in his union, so on and so forth.

Loves racist jokes and calling black people 'illiterate porch monkeys', and obama is the 'chief coon'.

But as he said "I voted for the chief coon over the mormon, because you can't trust a mormon."

:shrug:

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
The important thing is that he voted, right?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

So... Metal Gear?

I would pay a lot of money to see a really serious political drama with utterly absurd plot elements in the vein of MGS.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah catching up on this thread...

SedanChair posted:

nothing short of 100% is acceptable, and 100% is impossible.

:confused:

You heard it here folks, we can't let people depend on any weapon that's not 100% reliable! Guns can misfire, ban all guns.

Only self-defense swords are reliable enough for home defense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Given that the switchover for racists was only really completed in 1994 (at least at the party level) and there are still red presidential states that are controlled by Democrats at the state level (Kentucky, West Virginia, until recently North Carolina) I don't think it's really surprising that a bunch of white people that are still registered for the Democrats would still be horribly racist.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

VitalSigns posted:

Only self-defense swords are reliable enough for home defense.

Is there any chance this sword could become brittle and break?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Is there any chance this sword could become brittle and break?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend!

-Wait, sorry. Wrong bit. I was too enthusiastic, my bad.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Unless sedan chair has no understanding of technology, he would be perfectly able to understand that rfid failure would be far less likely than the gun itself, considering both best and worst conditions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We getting back into this? I like it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Whoever it was that compared Cliven Bundy to a warlord appears to have hit the nail on the head. (via digby)

quote:

Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie has been negotiating behind the scenes with rancher Cliven Bundy for a couple of years. On the morning of the big showdown, he and Joe Lombardo drove to Bunkerville to let Bundy know that a deal had been reached with Bureau of Land Management to suspend the roundup of Bundy's cattle.

Bundy, who has grown accustomed to media attention over the past few months, said he would only talk to Gillespie on stage in front of his crowd. Once there, he ordered the sheriff to go out and disarm every fed he could find.

"And report back in an hour. Disarm everyone working at a federal park," Bundy told the sheriff.

"I mean, the hair was up on the back of my neck. There was the so-called militia surrounding the stage. There was a lot of firepower out there and it made me nervous. anything could happen," Lombardo said.

Gillspie and Lombardo say they offered to provide Bundy with legal counsel---free. He turned it down and later urged the crowd to go after his cattle.

"Mr. Bundy, in my personal opinion, incited the crowd," Lombardo said.

Some of them didn't need much to get riled. Their hostility toward government was on full display. A few equate the BLM with Nazis.

"That bunch, the SS squad or something to do with Hitler, shouldn't have guns there aimed at the people," one man at the showdown said.

They were equally hostile to journalists covering the story. Pistol-packing militia men have blocked 8 News NOW's access to public roads. Some poured lighter fluid around our news vehicle while others got physical.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hedera Helix posted:

Whoever it was that compared Cliven Bundy to a warlord appears to have hit the nail on the head. (via digby)

jesus christ, what a bunch of loons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hedera Helix posted:

I love the last few lines, pretty much confirming what everyone with a brain has suspected: the law enforcement agencies know that they, people who are still pulling in regular paychecks, can afford to be much more patient then a bunch of old men doing nothing more than sitting out in the sun, drinking beer and waving guns about.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
At this point, you have to figure Bundy knows that the moment those loons with guns leave, he's spending a very long time in jail, right?

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I like the part where someone in the crowd compares the BLM to "the SS squad, or something to do with Hitler". Like he can't be bothered to come up with an actual analogy.

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

Mark Callahan, a Portland republican running for the U.S. Senate, was kicked out of an endorsement interview. He's very upset.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hmm, they'll turn this to a Waco yet. Waco had lots of militia spectators too, including one Timothy McVeigh.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
The cops have plenty of time, I'd think the big concern is the hotheads working themselves up into shooting first. Attacking journalists and ordering the sheriff to seize federal weapons and "report back" doesn't sound like they're calming down.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Joel McHale dropped a lot of serious truth bombs from the drone strike express last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZLY7gzwxg

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Obama with the strategic drink sip, when things get too hot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

more friedman units posted:

The cops have plenty of time, I'd think the big concern is the hotheads working themselves up into shooting first. Attacking journalists and ordering the sheriff to seize federal weapons and "report back" doesn't sound like they're calming down.

That was done right when the BLM was backing down, if I'm recalling this correctly. Bundy was riding high and figured he could issue some more demands while he had the guns and numbers. Not sure if he really believed it would work or not--he was probably showboating.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I'm thinking of the father in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner here. Takes pride in having progressive views in an intellectual sense, but as soon as it becomes personal reverts to standard old affluent white guy thinking. I didn't realize there were so many in the party though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hedera Helix posted:

ok this poo poo is starting to anger and scare me. I understand the feds are trying to wait these assholes out, but at this rate they will start killing people for being "feds". Its obvious they are worried about disloyalty in the ranks, so i assume some purity tests will start soon, which is kinda of worrisome.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

Joel McHale dropped a lot of serious truth bombs from the drone strike express last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZLY7gzwxg

"C-SPAN is like Paranormal Activity movies. Grainy shots of empty rooms interrupted by shots of people you're pretty sure died years ago." :allears: Looks like he did great.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mo_Steel posted:

"C-SPAN is like Paranormal Activity movies. Grainy shots of empty rooms interrupted by shots of people you're pretty sure died years ago." :allears: Looks like he did great.

"As it stands right now, the Republican presidential nominee will either be Jeb Bush, Rand Paul, or a bag of flour with Ronald Reagan's face drawn on it." :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AnemicChipmunk posted:

Mark Callahan, a Portland republican running for the U.S. Senate, was kicked out of an endorsement interview. He's very upset.

Watch the video embedded in the article, it's hilarious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pengun101 posted:

ok this poo poo is starting to anger and scare me. I understand the feds are trying to wait these assholes out, but at this rate they will start killing people for being "feds". Its obvious they are worried about disloyalty in the ranks, so i assume some purity tests will start soon, which is kinda of worrisome.
Oh they've been on the hot rails to purity purges for years, what do you think all this primary business is about? They just aren't really doing it with violence (at least, not yet) outside, maybe, of this area.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
any chance if bundy and his band of wackos gets violent, sean hannity, rush limbaugh and the other cast of far right wing media wonks can be indited for inciting?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No, because if it's white, it's aight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cimber posted:

any chance if bundy and his band of wackos gets violent, sean hannity, rush limbaugh and the other cast of far right wing media wonks can be indited for inciting?
Barring some edge case situation like Hannity saying "Execute every last fed!" followed by execution-style shootings a couple hours after the show aired, certainly not; even then, probably not. You should probably not expect legal penalties on any of these people, save in civil court.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

Of course not.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

pengun101 posted:

It's pretty clear that the feds are playing the long game at this point. They're building up their case and have almost assuredly infiltrated the militia groups to get information on everyone there. Like that old joke, the last 2 militia members on the site are going to be 2 federal agents from different departments each reporting on the actions of the other.

I'm still unsure whether this is the best option since letting someone set up their own little fiefdom in bumfuck Nevada for any length of time sets a bad precedent, but I'm not the one who would be tasked with dispersing a bunch of heavily armed crazy people, so I'm not big on armchair generaling the situation. Not to mention any attempt like that would go badly somehow and shift the whole focus of this story in an election year.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Actually the best option was and still is to Waco the fuckers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Actually the best option was and still is to Waco the fuckers.

Child-murder ftw

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The Feds will (and should) keep waiting them out. Because summer is coming and when it gets to be 115 out there many of them will find someplace else to be. Nevada scrub desert is miserable poo poo in the heat.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Child-murder ftw

At least they're not trying to use their kids as human shields yet. Wait, is there a better term than "human shields" for when you want the other guys to shoot them?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Watching the Correspondents' Dinner, I liked Obama's little involuntary snicker after he slammed Fox News. Probably the highlight for me.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Child-murder ftw

Get 'em while they're young, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nevada scrub desert is miserable poo poo in the heat all the loving time.

You had a couple factual errors there, I went ahead and corrected them, buddy. Seriously, though, loving Nevada, of all places, seems the most poo poo-awful place for anti-government rebellion, particularly Southern Nevada. If you're going to have a Nevada fiefdom, why not Tahoe, at least?

• Locked thread