Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

goodness posted:

Lesson Learned: Never let an enemy stack retreat, no matter how small.

Had Portugal locked down (I was Al-Andalus) and I let a 2 stack run away. Came back with 15 and wiped me out :(
So followed a Cascade of everyone else on the peninsula declaring war and breaking me up.

Maybe not the best lesson to learn. What I'm guessing happened is that while the enemy army was retreating, you were sieging a province. The problem with that is that the enemy will be in home territory, and will reinforce at its normal rate, while your army will reinforce at a severely reduced rate. The retreating army also gets a bonus to moral regain. Pursuing a retreating army can often lead you very deep into enemy territory, and cause you to suffer heavy attrition during the pursuit.

So the correct lesson to learn is: don't start sieging until you've established martial dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Ha, apparently manually changing the date instead of using bookmark instantly sets all colonial nations to independent and they'll stay like that no matter the date or bookmark until you exit to the main menu and back.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe not the best lesson to learn. What I'm guessing happened is that while the enemy army was retreating, you were sieging a province. The problem with that is that the enemy will be in home territory, and will reinforce at its normal rate, while your army will reinforce at a severely reduced rate. The retreating army also gets a bonus to moral regain. Pursuing a retreating army can often lead you very deep into enemy territory, and cause you to suffer heavy attrition during the pursuit.

So the correct lesson to learn is: don't start sieging until you've established martial dominance.

Yeah, I was having trouble keeping my army up while walking around killing them. Besides sending them back to my land to heal up, how can I keep my army strong while rampaging through the country side.

Coolwhoami posted:

Can we just not do the whole trial link, have on in the OP and tell anyone who links one elsewhere to get hosed so we avoid dumb drama?

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 4, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As the Cherokee, is there any way to stop European nations stop declaring wars of conquest on me when I'm only a few tech levels behind and have standing armies big enough to easily defeat everything they bring across the Atlantic? This is the third one I've gotten a big pile of gold out of, and gold is always good but the actual wars are annoying.

I never got the conversion event, so I'm still Totemist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah, my dreams of starting an empire have been put on hold too. The HRE decided to do something about me:

:negative:

Doing well as a Low Countries nation is (realistically) difficult since you're wedged between France and the Holy Roman Empire. I don't even bother unless I'm playing a mod with a shattered France.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would think it's nearly dependent on having the Burgundian Inheritance event give much of the lowlands to a strong Emperor, but after you've secured the bits you need to form the Netherlands. Good luck with that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

e: I try.

Rush Novgorod ASAP. Ignore Muslims as much as possible until you hit Admin 9 or 10, since you'll never be able to convert them until then. Take Expansion ideas first. Fall way behind in diplotech so you can westernize early. Be wary of the Ottomans. Form Russia.

About Wsternising, there are basically two approaches you can take. Either Westernise early to guarantee all those sweet units and Tech or hold off. Why would you hold off you ask? Well, with Eastern Tech you can actually vassalise rather than protectorate Asian tech nations which allows you to eat through Asia for very few admin points. You either Westernise after you feel you've smacked Asia around enough or never bother because why would you if you don't care about having Eastern Units when you can call on most of Asia's manpower.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's if you're going to rampage all over India, which quite frankly I don't really enjoy. You can vassalize Hordes at any tech level, so the people you're definitely going to eat can be vassalized either way.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet god this game is addicting. It's pretty hilarious how you can just be in a state of constant war as the US against Indian tribes and the worst thing I had was 5 rebel units of people from Connecticut. If not for siege slowdowns I'd already have everything before the Mississippi (mostly mopping up). For 18 century America what is the best way to speed up sieges, apart from the assualt button?

Roadie posted:

As the Cherokee, is there any way to stop European nations stop declaring wars of conquest on me when I'm only a few tech levels behind and have standing armies big enough to easily defeat everything they bring across the Atlantic? This is the third one I've gotten a big pile of gold out of, and gold is always good but the actual wars are annoying.

Well if history is a good model...most likely not.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

gfanikf posted:

Sweet god this game is addicting. It's pretty hilarious how you can just be in a state of constant war as the US against Indian tribes and the worst thing I had was 5 rebel units of people from Connecticut. If not for siege slowdowns I'd already have everything before the Mississippi (mostly mopping up). For 18 century America what is the best way to speed up sieges, apart from the assualt button?

Well if history is a good model...most likely not.

Maximize your arty pieces to hit those sweet sweet siege roll bonuses, bring better generals with siege ability, and other then that... mash the assault button. Although I'm not really sure how viable any of these things are as the US, I've never played them in EU4. But the above advice applies to any nation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

goodness posted:

Yeah, I was having trouble keeping my army up while walking around killing them. Besides sending them back to my land to heal up, how can I keep my army strong while rampaging through the country side.

Well like I said, you shouldn't be rampaging through the countryside until you've crushed your enemy's army.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Roadie posted:

In my games I got simultaneously declared on by both France and Great Britain, the secret is that the casus belli is for winning 80% of wars, so mass up your entire army on a small stack, win one battle, then run away like a pansy, the ticking warscore lets you not only survive, but actually get money out of them.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

TaurusTorus posted:

In my games I got simultaneously declared on by both France and Great Britain, the secret is that the casus belli is for winning 80% of wars, so mass up your entire army on a small stack, win one battle, then run away like a pansy, the ticking warscore lets you not only survive, but actually get money out of them.

He's already winning, he wants to know how to stop them declaring on him the minute the truce ends.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I had a really good start and once I took the "break truces" advice to heart I spent 18ish years at -3 stab gobbling up all of SE Asia and India. I didn't know that sieges leave a permanent debuff on a province that lowers the fort level, so redeclaring and resieging went really quick.

So now that I am almost done in India I figured I'd work on the Timurids, then try take on the Mamlukes to get access to the med so I can go attack Castile before they colonize too much.
How did you guys handle Castile/Portgual in your Minghal games?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Tahirovic posted:

How did you guys handle Castile/Portgual in your Minghal games?
Your naval forcelimit and income from Asia should be sufficient to dominate them at sea with massive heavy ship fleets, with sea under control just land few 70-stacks on the mainland, ferry smaller stacks around, taking colonies.
Overseas colonies are worth something like 2% warscore per province and have negligible AE impact and with cheap and instant coring you can take all of their Asian and African holdings in one war(when normally you wouldn't take too much because of overextension).
New world colonies are much worse to take - after your colonial nation forms from first acquisitions it doesn't have your faction benefits so it gets wrecked by patriot and religious revolts because of overextension if you take too much at once, there doesn't seem to be a time window for you to core the new lands.
Also your colonial nations are pathetically weak with their chinese tech and would get attacked and beaten up by other colonies all the time, add them to your watched countries list and enforce peace whenever other colonies attack, that'll usually get you into war with the overlords too.
You may want to avoid the colonial nation forming - grab one of natives that westernized or colonies that went independent as your vassal, sell them all the provinces while never having 5 or more cores in same colonial region. This is time and diplomat-consuming process though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Friend Commuter posted:

He's already winning, he wants to know how to stop them declaring on him the minute the truce ends.

Release down to one province and run to California.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
God drat, I hate this game sometimes. I got called into a war against Russia by Poland and figured that that was a great time to get them to release a few cores they had stolen from my now-vassals. I wasn't war leader, so I set my bar low: 37% warscore for returning the most important cores, that should be doable before Poland peaces out and ends the war. Then they sign a white peace deal when we're at 36%. Uuuurgh. Five years pass, I reform the HRE (didn't know it'd switch your nation/colours, that's a bummer), get allied with the strongest guys around and declare on Mother Russia myself using a Holy War CB. We make quick work of her, but then it turns out that I can't claim any of the half a dozen of places in south-east Asia that Russia had colonized and I had sieged down, which has never before been an issue with that CB. Oh, and Poland peaced out right before I could, forcing Russia to release 11-province Bosnia (a region that I could've reclaimed entirely for my vassals Serbia and Bulgaria). That leaves my total gains after spending a fortune on troops and every last ounce of my manpower on reinforcements at 3 cores for Crimea. Hooray.

So I decide that Poland needs to die. What luck! I can claim their throne! Not long after, I start slowly and painfully grinding them into the dust, after which I discover that there's no PU option anywhere in the peace deal list. It's still showing me as having claimed the throne and their name's still highlighted in the disputed succession list. I don't know why I can't PU them, and it pisses me off that rear end in a top hat Poland got one over on me yet again.

And then my computer restarted because it had installed some updates, even though I disabled auto-install, and that somehow corrupted my cloud save. Uuuuuurgh.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jolan posted:

So I decide that Poland needs to die. What luck! I can claim their throne! Not long after, I start slowly and painfully grinding them into the dust, after which I discover that there's no PU option anywhere in the peace deal list. It's still showing me as having claimed the throne and their name's still highlighted in the disputed succession list. I don't know why I can't PU them, and it pisses me off that rear end in a top hat Poland got one over on me yet again.

You need to actually declare war with the 'claim throne' CB to enforce a personal union... which you can only do if your ruler and theirs are the same dynasty.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a full list of formable nations? I kinda wonder what funny things different from the Minghals are possible.
Like I got the feeling Ming has the power to attack the Teutonic Order..... Mingussia?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Formable_countries

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Does anyone have a full list of formable nations? I kinda wonder what funny things different from the Minghals are possible.
Like I got the feeling Ming has the power to attack the Teutonic Order..... Mingussia?

Unrealistic in a single player game - though it would be amazing if you could arrange for player assistance in a multiplayer game. I believe it was mentioned in the stream everyone's copying as the original idea.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

You need to actually declare war with the 'claim throne' CB to enforce a personal union... which you can only do if your ruler and theirs are the same dynasty.

I seem to remember that the 'claim throne' diplo option was greyed out unless you're the same dynasty, and that I enfored a PU over Naples (after claiming the throne) with a regular conquest CB, but the details elude me. God drat, why are some of these mechanics so obscure.

Edit: yeah, seems like you're right. A PU can still happen after claiming if the non-dynastic ruler dies without an heir, but you can't war for it. Must be misremembering the Naples thing, as you said, the game overwhelms my forgetful mind sometimes.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 5, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jolan posted:

I seem to remember that the 'claim throne' diplo option was greyed out unless you're the same dynasty, and that I enfored a PU over Naples (after claiming the throne) with a regular conquest CB, but the details elude me. God drat, why are some of these mechanics so obscure.

It is not greyed out, no. You can claim the throne of anyone that you have a royal marriage with & who has an unstable throne (for whatever reason), but that no longer gives you a CB.

No idea re: the Naples thing. Bug? Misrecollection? Secret niche behavior? Beats me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They're not really that obscure.

Claim Throne only gives you a CB if you have the same dynasty. You also get the CB when a PU breaks peacefully, or from some missions, mostly Austrian. There is a specific Enforce Union deal in the peace screen, and you have to pick that to force a union.

The thing that is obscure is what exactly happens when a dynasty dies out in a country.

PleasingFungus posted:

No idea re: the Naples thing. Bug? Misrecollection? Secret niche behavior? Beats me.

I'm going with this. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that Naples was already under him in a PU, declared war on him with the Independence CB, and then he defeated Naples; in an independence war, anything less than the Independence option will leave the union intact.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, am I just unlucky or does it always break all your alliances when a colonial nation drags you into their war?

It seems to be treated by the game as a defensive DoW which automatically calls in allies but so far my allies always refuse the call. Which was fine once but now it's happened a couple of times I can't re-ally them since I apparently hate them so much for refusing defensive call ups. Now Portugal, who had been my stout partner up to this point, is being eaten up by France and it's a mess in General.

On another note about colonial nations. Is their AI generally set to be really passive? They basically never budge their armies when involved in a war unlike my vassals or countries under PU who do trend to trot their armies to India etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Munin posted:

Btw, am I just unlucky or does it always break all your alliances when a colonial nation drags you into their war?

It does that when they pull you in more than 60 days after the war started. Avoid this be pre-emptively using Enforce Peace.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Is there a reason why I cant vassalize Ryazan? I have them at +190 influence, royal marriage and alliance. But for some reason the proposal is negative :(

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
It says the reasons there on the tooltip. Their base tax, compared to yours, is too high for you to diplomatically vassalize them. If I recall, they need to have under 7% of your base tax to diplovassalize.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The number I always hear bandied about is that your base tax should be the square of their base tax. I have no idea if that's accurate, but it's in that neighborhood of 10%. Once you finish gobbling Novgorod you'll be able to diplovassalize Ryazan, although there's also a nice mission that gives you +1 base tax to both provinces if you militarily annex them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Lori posted:

It says the reasons there on the tooltip. Their base tax, compared to yours, is too high for you to diplomatically vassalize them. If I recall, they need to have under 7% of your base tax to diplovassalize.

So you basically can't vassalize people that are richer than you?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Did you expect that you would be able to?

There actually was once a way to accumulate enough bonuses to diplovassalize a county of any size, as long as they were your religion, but that was patched out some time ago.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

goodness posted:

It's more than that. You have to be much much richer than them, and you can't diplo vassalize anyone over 40 base tax regardless of your own base tax.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

goodness posted:

Not even "richer"; even moderately wealthy countries are difficult to impossible to diplovassalize. Countries get a negative modifier if they have more base tax than the square root of your base tax. Countries over about 10 base tax are very difficult to diplovassalize, and even that much requires you to have 100 total base tax to zero out the modifier (though you don't have to completely zero it out to succeed).

Basically, if they have any of those nice 6-9 wealth provinces and aren't just that province, you're probably going to have a much easier time just conquering them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Zurai posted:

Not even "richer"; even moderately wealthy countries are difficult to impossible to diplovassalize. Countries get a negative modifier if they have more base tax than the square root of your base tax. Countries over about 10 base tax are very difficult to diplovassalize, and even that much requires you to have 100 total base tax to zero out the modifier (though you don't have to completely zero it out to succeed).

Basically, if they have any of those nice 6-9 wealth provinces and aren't just that province, you're probably going to have a much easier time just conquering them.

Yeah. So your options with Ryazan are either to become much bigger until Ryazan is proportionally small enough, or to attack them and vassalize them by force.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Few things from the last session of the dev mp game:

Unique buildings destroyed on conquest
AI will no longer go hostile with a country that has more than 100 relations unless it's a bigger vassal that wants independence
Poland and the Commonwealth are now elective monarchies (don't have any mechanics yet)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Trujillo posted:

Few things from the last session of the dev mp game:

Unique buildings destroyed on conquest
AI will no longer go hostile with a country that has more than 100 relations unless it's a bigger vassal that wants independence
Poland and the Commonwealth are now elective monarchies (don't have any mechanics yet)

Is ASpec still casting these as usual? If so he's stopped uploading them to Youtube :(

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Have a new dev diary!

Wealth of Nations Dev Diary 7 posted:

New Colonial Region

Australia & New Zealand are now a colonial region, so nations colonising them will get a colonial nation down under as well.

Formable Nations
Egypt - Can be formed if Al-Misr Arabic (aka Mamelukes), and have adm tech 20, and is independent, while owning Cairo, Rashid, Dumyat, Faiyum & Alexandria.
Bukhara - Can be formed after 1500 by the Uzbeks if they own Bukhara., which releases Sibir as independent and makes Bukhara high basetax, and swaps you to a muslim techgroup nation.
Kurland - Livonian Order or Riga can form it if they are protestant or reformed and has both Kurland & Semigallia at admtech 10, while independent. They become a feudal monarchy with old prussian culture then.

New Religions

Sikhism - Enables after 1499 from an event in India, and also comes with its unique events.
5% cheaper techs, and +5 land morale, while having -1 when someone tries to convert a sikh province.
There is also a new religiongroup called dharmic, which has Hinduism and Sikhism, which allows voluntary conversions between them.

Ibadi - Makes Oman more alone in the world.
+100% heir chance and +10% Naval Morale, while having -2 like all the other muslims to conversions.

Coptic - Ethiopia is no longer Orthodox
+10% Defensiveness, and +2 Tolerance to own. Hardest christian to convert with -2.

Iqta Reform

A country with Iqta can now reform to administrative monarchy at admtech 12 if they have westernised and have good legitimacy.

New Achievements
The Great Khan- As the Mongol Khanate or the Golden Horde, conquer China, Persia and Russia.
Four For Trade - Get Four Trading Companies and have them provide merchants.
The Grand Armada - Have 500 heavy ships and have no loans.
Je Maintiendrai - Form Netherlands as dutch culture minor dutch culture minor)
A Protected Market - Get 100% Mercantilism
Queen of Mercury - As Kilwa, own Zanzibar & Bombay.
A Pile of Gold - Own 10 provinces producing gold.
Sons of Carthage - Tunis, own Sicily, Sardinia, algiers, tunis & spanish coast on med.
The Princess is in this Castle - Female Ruler & Female Heir
Electable! - Become elector when not starting as elector.

All of these look really neat but having something to do as an Iqta, especially as the Mamluks, if you survive instead of fall to the Ottomans is super neat.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Allyn posted:

Is ASpec still casting these as usual? If so he's stopped uploading them to Youtube :(

Dunno, I haven't watched them in a while. Only caught this one because it was the last.

Some insider dirt: Units are being rebalanced in a way that Muslim troops will actually be able to stand their ground against western troops for the whole game, but western troops will still have an edge.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Dunno, I haven't watched them in a while. Only caught this one because it was the last.

Some insider dirt: Units are being rebalanced in a way that Muslim troops will actually be able to stand their ground against western troops for the whole game, but western troops will still have an edge.

Will the rest of the world be able to compete if they do get to the higher tech levels? As it stands, end-game same-tech Indian or Chinese units are generally half as effective as end-game European units, and African/New World units are never competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

New Achievements
Je Maintiendrai - Form Netherlands as dutch culture minor dutch culture minor)

Goddammit, now I'll have to start as a Dutch minor again :argh: (:neckbeard:)

• Locked thread