Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Have you tried different types of bottles / nipples? Our second son hated the Medela nipple that came with the pumping kit but really likes the nipples on the Nuknuk starter sippy-cup.

We're trying straw cups currently, but if she sucks up any liquid she gets shocked and spits it out. Water, formula, some diluted juice... she's been hugely difficult to give anything since birth, vitamins and meds included, so I'm kind of resigned to my fate. She can't breastfeed forever, right? Right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lyz posted:

We're trying straw cups currently, but if she sucks up any liquid she gets shocked and spits it out. Water, formula, some diluted juice... she's been hugely difficult to give anything since birth, vitamins and meds included, so I'm kind of resigned to my fate. She can't breastfeed forever, right? Right?!

The Nuknuk sippy cups I mentioned work well because they're rubber and slow-sucking so he didn't get surprised. Maybe worth a shot.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cimber posted:

I swear, getting my kids up and out of the house early in the morning is tough. They just don't get the concept of being late for work.

Paraphrase from Sigurd (#1 son) one morning when I was trying to organize him and Eivind (#2 son) out the door and said I was running short on time:

"Don't worry, Dad, me and Eivind have plenty of time!"

Yes. Yes, you do.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Anyone have tips for a 3 year old with a new 5 month old sister?

Since she has been born he has been an absolute nightmare, he sits at the table at dinners and plays with his fork for an hour before we finally give up and take him back down. He knows when my wife is nursing that he can do whatever he wants and get away with it (drinking Molasses saying it's chocolate milk for example). He's started to almost start fighting back when we have to give him time out and yells at us.

My wife specifically is at her wits end as she has him and my daughter full time. We have tried the "ignore the bad; reward the good" but when your son runs down the driveway at full tilt onto the road with you screaming at him to stop, there is no ignoring.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I don't have any great advice because we're not there yet but she might want to try nursing in some kind of carrier/wrap, would give her free hands or at least a hand and allow her to be mobile. We nursed all the time in a mei tai and even still do at 13 mos.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

lady flash posted:

I don't have any great advice because we're not there yet but she might want to try nursing in some kind of carrier/wrap, would give her free hands or at least a hand and allow her to be mobile. We nursed all the time in a mei tai and even still do at 13 mos.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the "during the nursing" thing is just the tip of the iceberg. His listening skills have gone out the window and his attitude has just gone to general poo poo since our second was born.

We don't know whether to keep on the timeouts and ignore the hissy fits and only time out for the real issues, or to completely ignore his misbehaving altogether as it's almost like he enjoys being yelled at.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

MarshallX posted:

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the "during the nursing" thing is just the tip of the iceberg. His listening skills have gone out the window and his attitude has just gone to general poo poo since our second was born.

We don't know whether to keep on the timeouts and ignore the hissy fits and only time out for the real issues, or to completely ignore his misbehaving altogether as it's almost like he enjoys being yelled at.

Good god do I relate to you with my almost 4 year old. Its like the words we say go right through her face, nothing sticking. The one thing we've found works is if we turn whatever it is we need her to do into a game. If she needs to pick up, we give her a prize every time she picks up 10 things. No joke she picked up nearly 150 things the first day we tried it. She was so excited to pick something out we didn't care that she had 15 pieces of candy.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I guess my question would be how those things are accessible to him. My son does not have access to our kitchen unless he's directly supervised and it's similar for other danger spots (bathroom, closets, front door, stairs etc.). We also made sure that his bedroom is 100% child proofed so that I can leave him there and there is literally nothing he can do to injure himself short of running into a wall. We don't have a second one here yet, but a lot of what we've established discipline-wise is simple avoidance... if he shouldn't play with it, it's not accessible to him. We've had a lot of luck with the Positive Discipline series of books, as well as the Aha! Parenting website (http://www.ahaparenting.com) after I got really tired of hearing myself say "no" all of the time.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

MarshallX posted:

I would be careful about associating that behaviour with his new sibling. It sounds more like 'normal 3 year old acting out / learning independence'. I'm sure it's not helped by the new baby. We had our second when our son was 3 and a half and it was very similar, but he had started to do it long before number 2 arrived.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
If any of you have been around for a while, you'll remember my dumb "friend" who liked to drive around with his toddler in the front seat of his SUV. I asked him to stop, but he continued, so I went to his wife who presumably got the point across. This was all happening while they were trying to go through a private adoption, and I warned them of the risks not only to the health of their toddler but to their chances of adoption if he was ever caught.

Cut to a year later, and we just got into a massive argument about texting and driving. I've asked him once (maybe twice over a few years) to not text me while he was driving, and he makes arguments that it's ok to do while stopped at a light or sitting in traffic. I really don't think I'm being "self righteous" as he calls me, but I really don't have much of a response to a dude who doesn't seem to think texting and driving is a problem. Nor does he like being called out in public for doing it, even though he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Our toddlers have essentially grown up together, and I don't want to cut them out of each others' lives, but I don't know how much more of this kind of behavior I can take. I've cut our playdates down to once a week, so we'll see how that goes. Our kids are 3 - if I ended up severing almost all contact with this family, would that be a bad thing? Or should I suck it up for the sake of our kids?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

VorpalBunny posted:

Our toddlers have essentially grown up together, and I don't want to cut them out of each others' lives, but I don't know how much more of this kind of behavior I can take. I've cut our playdates down to once a week, so we'll see how that goes. Our kids are 3 - if I ended up severing almost all contact with this family, would that be a bad thing? Or should I suck it up for the sake of our kids?

I can't speak to your relationship with this person, but I can say that I would not be comfortable ever leaving my child(ren) under the supervision of someone who took such a flippant approach to safety issues in general. If your child is going to grow up being friends with his child, then almost inevitably there will be a point in time when your child is directly under his supervision.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
We're facing a rough patch right now too. Our little one is about to turn 6 months, and she is teething pretty bad. She's normally a VERY mellow child, but this has made her not want to eat as much, nor does she want to sleep now. My wife isn't working until she is about one, but she is hanging on albeit with breaks I give her. I'm pretty much a walking zombie from working and taking care of the little one. Hopefully the little one goes back to her old self soon, we are burning the candle at both ends!

The worst is that her family is overseas and mine lives on the other side of the country!

However, the whole line about seeing her smile as a reward is so very, very true. Can't wait until she can walk and talk!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

If this is someone you don't want to be friends with anymore, your kid will probably not remember that they used to be buddies with his kid. I don't remember much until I was past 4 1/2 years old or so, and like others have said, if you don't want this dude around you/your kid, you don't have to be friends for the sake of your child. Find a library group to go to for a while so your child still gets some socialization.

EDIT: On the other hand: Is it possible that you may want to suck it up a little, for the sake of your kid? I know this guy is irresponsible and snotty, but the fact that he annoys you could be making every little thing he does annoy you even more. If you SEE him texting while driving, by all means bring it up, but I don't usually talk with people about what they were doing when they sent my texts, you know? Or if you do need to bring something up with him (such as things that directly affect your child/your family), just do it with him and his wife, not anyone else around.

I know it's super annoying when someone is doing something that EVERYONE knows is wrong, but bringing it up when he gets defensive about it will only cause an argument, and you get to decide if you would rather break it off with this guy or just not bring up certain issues.

EXAMPLE: My sister is friends with a husband and wife. The husband (Tom) is a moron, and my husband is a mechanic. Tom was talking about how his car needed tires, so he was going to buy some from the junkyard. My husband mentioned that he could at least get retreads for the same price, and he was really just wasting money and risking his family with this plan. Tom ignored him and went on how his internet buddies who "know about cars" told him this was a good idea. For a while afterwards, we would ask him about his car and how it was doing, only to be more irritated at the amount of poo poo that was going bad, because he kept replacing them with junkyard parts. We eventually had to stop asking him about it, because he would ignore any good advice with crap from his moron friends, and then complain loudly the next time when these idiot plans didn't work. (we don't talk with this guy anymore, unless he is at a function that we were invited to)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

VorpalBunny posted:

If any of you have been around for a while, you'll remember my dumb "friend" who liked to drive around with his toddler in the front seat of his SUV. I asked him to stop, but he continued, so I went to his wife who presumably got the point across. This was all happening while they were trying to go through a private adoption, and I warned them of the risks not only to the health of their toddler but to their chances of adoption if he was ever caught.

Cut to a year later, and we just got into a massive argument about texting and driving. I've asked him once (maybe twice over a few years) to not text me while he was driving, and he makes arguments that it's ok to do while stopped at a light or sitting in traffic. I really don't think I'm being "self righteous" as he calls me, but I really don't have much of a response to a dude who doesn't seem to think texting and driving is a problem. Nor does he like being called out in public for doing it, even though he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

A three year old can make new friends. If the guy is dangerous, and apparently gets a chuckle out of watching you sputter like a wet hen every time he says "Hey y'all, watch this!" then stop hanging out. You had some success with ratting him out to his wife last time, right? Can do that, or you can write it off. 3 years isn't all that much investment.

A 3 year old will have a new best friend in the whole wide world tomorrow.

I'm kinda boggled by your whole situation. I've not gotten into anything close to a "massive argument" with another kids parent, or even another adult I'm not married to in...a decade? more? The fact that he continues to hang out with you after you have gotten into multiple stir-ups in the past is really really weird. You could literally walk down your block and make friends with anybody else with a play-gym in the back, and not have anything to set off about. So you probably should.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Slo-Tek posted:

I'm kinda boggled by your whole situation. I've not gotten into anything close to a "massive argument" with another kids parent, or even another adult I'm not married to in...a decade? more? The fact that he continues to hang out with you after you have gotten into multiple stir-ups in the past is really really weird. You could literally walk down your block and make friends with anybody else with a play-gym in the back, and not have anything to set off about. So you probably should.

Yeah, I tried to explain it to him that this is clearly not a good friendship and he was almost shocked that I'd even consider not being friendly anymore. I told him I needed a break, and he accused me of playing "the victim card".

He's one of those guys who likes to get under people's skin. I've had huge reservations about maintaining a friendship with him for years, but his daughter is a little emotionally damaged (living with a guy like this, can you imagine?) and I just feel so sorry for her. She's like a wounded little bird, and the few moments of joy I've seen her have with my son have been amazing. Thus, my conundrum.

I'm going to give it a few days and see if our group playdate at the end of the week still happens. I know my kid will be fine, he's already in a lot of activities outside of this playdate group. I just feel bad for the other kid.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I know you empathize with the other child but putting your own child in potentially dangerous situations just to "save" the other child is mismanaged priorities.

This friend is not your husband and you can move on. The answer seems obvious because it is.

Related: someone a mile away just kill him/herself plus another cause they were texting and driving.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Texting on the road could turn an LOL into a great big OMG.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jiro Kage posted:

We're facing a rough patch right now too. Our little one is about to turn 6 months, and she is teething pretty bad. She's normally a VERY mellow child, but this has made her not want to eat as much, nor does she want to sleep now. My wife isn't working until she is about one, but she is hanging on albeit with breaks I give her. I'm pretty much a walking zombie from working and taking care of the little one. Hopefully the little one goes back to her old self soon, we are burning the candle at both ends!

The worst is that her family is overseas and mine lives on the other side of the country!

However, the whole line about seeing her smile as a reward is so very, very true. Can't wait until she can walk and talk!

Teething sucks. Just when the baby has started sleeping through the night and you can rest, teething kicks in and the baby wakes up in the middle of the night again, screaming in pain.

Try getting the liquid filled teething rings, and put them in the freezer. It helps.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jiro Kage posted:

We're facing a rough patch right now too. Our little one is about to turn 6 months, and she is teething pretty bad. She's normally a VERY mellow child, but this has made her not want to eat as much, nor does she want to sleep now...
The old country solution was to dab a little bit of liquor (rum or whiskey, usually) on the gums. It apparently worked quite well, though my wife used a low dose of children's Tylenol (acetaminophen) instead. At least in the US, the labels all changed a few years ago and only provided doses for much older children, so all of the usual caveats about checking with your pediatrician and being aware of allergies applies. (My wife and I thought it was silly that somehow it was suddenly okay to let any child under the age of 6 suffer just because some quack-job made the news by over-dosing their 2-year-old on acetaminophen or ibuprofen or whatever).

∨∨∨ Edit: I was referring to some incidents over 8 years ago. The FDA article you linked is from October 2013, though of course still relevant. You'd think "read the label" would be obvious, but I suppose they only print the articles because people don't. :(

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 29, 2014

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
It's not really that some quack job made the news, it's that a new reduced-concentration formulation of acetaminophen came out recently so they want to be certain people aren't overdosing their kids because they have the higher concentration version:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm284563.htm

sudont fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2014

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Cimber posted:

Teething sucks. Just when the baby has started sleeping through the night and you can rest, teething kicks in and the baby wakes up in the middle of the night again, screaming in pain.

Try getting the liquid filled teething rings, and put them in the freezer. It helps.

This is it exactly. She was sleeping great, now she wakes up and won't go back to sleep. Luckily she doesn't have a real piercing scream, but I had to call in from work today to give the wife a break since she didn't sleep at all the past two days.

Unfortunately she doesn't really like those rings, but she chews the hell out of a sophie toy!

She also rolls over to her stomach and can't quite figure out how to get back yet, so she cries until we flip her. It's adorable.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jiro Kage posted:

She also rolls over to her stomach and can't quite figure out how to get back yet, so she cries until we flip her. It's adorable.

If she's amenable to it, I found the 'roll roll roll' game to be helpful with this. I just put S on the bed and roll her around, log-style while she laughed her rear end off. She loved it and right after that I found she was able to flip a lot easier. I guess it gets them used to the sensation of going around, I dunno.

e: oh and we met Abby Cadabby last weekend. Easily my second-least favourite Sesame character after Baby Bear, but S loved her.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2014

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jiro Kage posted:

This is it exactly. She was sleeping great, now she wakes up and won't go back to sleep. Luckily she doesn't have a real piercing scream, but I had to call in from work today to give the wife a break since she didn't sleep at all the past two days.

Unfortunately she doesn't really like those rings, but she chews the hell out of a sophie toy!

my son had the colic, i wanted to shot myself in the head by the 3rd month.

My daughter was an angel, she slept through the night at 8 weeks (and scared the living gently caress out of me the first night she did too). Teething was really simple too, she didn't cry or anything.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

flashy_mcflash posted:

If she's amenable to it, I found the 'roll roll roll' game to be helpful with this. I just put S on the bed and roll her around, log-style while she laughed her rear end off. She loved it and right after that I found she was able to flip a lot easier. I guess it gets them used to the sensation of going around, I dunno.

e: oh and we met Abby Cadabby last weekend. Easily my second-least favourite Sesame character after Baby Bear, but S loved her.

What the gently caress is wrong with you Abby rules she's a pumpkin expert

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oh, and today my son got an incident report at day care. It seems that another kid tried to take the legos that he was playing with, so my son threw a chair at him.

Outwardly and to my son I expressed my deep displeasure and son I am disappoint.

Inwardly, i'm a bit proud that he stood up for himself and won.

I guess I'm a bad dad. :)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Uh. It's cool that you want your kid to be assertive and macho or whatever but threw a chair seems a bit much

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FishBulb posted:

Uh. It's cool that you want your kid to be assertive and macho or whatever but threw a chair seems a bit much

yeah well. I don't approve of the methods, but i approve that he's not going to roll over for some other kid.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

yeah well. I don't approve of the methods, but i approve that he's not going to roll over for some other kid.

Emotional maturity is genetic, apparently.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, throwing a chair is in no way an acceptable response.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

sheri posted:

Yeah, throwing a chair is in no way an acceptable response.

I agree.

I guess what I am trying to say (badly) is that I'm glad he stood up for himself and isn't going to let other kids push him around, I just wish he had did it a better way. But he's four, he will learn.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cimber posted:

I sincerely hope that you get him a Luchador mask for Halloween.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Volmarias posted:

I sincerely hope that you get him a Luchador mask for Halloween.

There is so much win in that statement.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Cimber posted:

There is so much win in that statement.

A toddler TLC (Tables, Ladders and Chairs) match. We'll make millions!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

topenga posted:

A toddler TLC (Tables, Ladders and Chairs) match. We'll make millions!

Two baby enter, one baby leave! Two baby enter, one baby leave!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Cimber posted:

Two baby enter, one baby leave! Two baby enter, one baby leave!

Who run babytown? WHO ... RUN... BABYTOWN?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
anyone know a good place to buy stickers, especially those with licensed characters? The local Target is not a good place apparently, unless they are located someplace other than the arts and crafts section.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FordCQC posted:

anyone know a good place to buy stickers, especially those with licensed characters? The local Target is not a good place apparently, unless they are located someplace other than the arts and crafts section.

Party City (or any other party supply store)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FordCQC posted:

Also, anything like Joann Fabric and Craft Stores, Michaels Arts and Crafts, etc. I usually find a ton of stickers there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If your looking for larger stickers like the kids get at the doctors office smilemakers.com has a good selection.