Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

redbackground posted:

Someone fill me in on what exactly is going on in Waid's Hulk.

Banner was shot in the head by some mysterious organization that also whisked him off so they could implant stuff in his brain. Banner hulked out and went on a multistate rampage with his brain flopping out. SHIELD managed to dehulk Banner and get his skull sewn shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm upset that the Free Comic Book Day GoTG had Captain Marvel on the cover, but she was not in the book.

Agent Venom soothes the pain though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The Rocket Raccoon FCBD book was good. Got my interest up for the series.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm upset that the Free Comic Book Day GoTG had Captain Marvel on the cover, but she was not in the book.

Agent Venom soothes the pain though.

Yeah that book seemed pretty irrelevant. The art for the main part was total garbage, and all it really came down to was Tony telling Flash he was going to space. Maybe a good jumping on point for new readers, as long as they can find the previous issue as well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I liked Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Slott is completely capable of writing good stories, he just doesn't. I haven't read Silver Surfer, but I'm sure it's fine, people seemed to like his She-Hulk too. Just keep the man away from anything that's supposed to be serious
His work with Ty Templeton on Batman Adventures was also pretty good. He's definitely a good Batman writer, and I think a lot of his She-Hulk run still holds up. There's a decent writer in there, trapped in the body of Dan Slott.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He hasn't written anything good since 2007 or so. Maybe he had a small stroke that went undetected, and the part of his brain that wrote Arkham Asylum: Living Hell died.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

He hasn't written anything good since 2007 or so. Maybe he had a small stroke that went undetected, and the part of his brain that wrote Arkham Asylum: Living Hell died.

For a poo poo writer and a dumb premise, Superior Spider-Man has been surprisingly not-bad so far as I've read

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For a poo poo writer and a dumb premise, Superior Spider-Man has been surprisingly not-bad so far as I've read

It began horribly and even the biggest fans on the board seemed to hate the last issue.

The last Slott story I can say I completely enjoyed was New Ways to Die. Everything else I have reservations about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not-bad is as good as it gets.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah but you don't understand. He's the worst person ever because people don't like his Spider-Man run. That makes him literal scum apparently.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

It began horribly and even the biggest fans on the board seemed to hate the last issue.

The last Slott story I can say I completely enjoyed was New Ways to Die. Everything else I have reservations about.

New Ways To Die was hobbled by that dumb "Who Is Menace?" poo poo.

I'm still enjoying Superior Spidey (just got to TPB #3 so maybe my opinion will change), but I do wish basically every Dan Slott Spider-Man story was written by Joe Kelly instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah but you don't understand. He's the worst person ever because people don't like his Spider-Man run. That makes him literal scum apparently.

Yeah.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The only annoying thing about Slott is his tendency to be a big baby about continuity and do stuff like try to undo Spider-Man's unmasking by himself or come up with convoluted explanations for something that She-Hulk did that nobody else really cared about. Not sure if he's really done that in the last few years.

I think it's just silly to be completely dismissive to Slott.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I haven't read any new Spider-Man but I caught that Peter Parker is back, can someone summarize how the Superior storyline ended? Is Doc Ock gone for now or did he get a new body?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

~If only we had a Spider-Man thread.~

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Curious, how is the Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel series? I almost came close to picking up a few issues today, but been out of the loop in regard comics until I bought my Nexus 7 and been wanting to get some digital stuff to read.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

SalTheBard posted:

The Rocket Raccoon FCBD book was good. Got my interest up for the series.

Haven't read it yet (the store I stopped by yesterday was out), but it's not from the same creative team as the new ongoing. Though the latter should be pretty good with Young writing and drawing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Curious, how is the Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel series? I almost came close to picking up a few issues today, but been out of the loop in regard comics until I bought my Nexus 7 and been wanting to get some digital stuff to read.

Captain Marvel starts out with a pretty boring-as-hell time travel arc but quickly becomes great afterward. A lot of people don't like the first volume's "ending" arc, The Enemy Within, but I thought that was pretty okay too. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Ms. Marvel is still in its early stages, but it's pretty good so far!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

Captain Marvel is very uneven, but there are a few good issues sprinkled throughout. Not something I would rush out to buy.

Ms. Marvel, however, has been really great so far. One of the best new books of 2014 along with She-Hulk (read She-Hulk).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love Carol Danvers and she is my favorite hero out of any, and I really enjoy the books because of it. Though I really wish they focused more on Captain Marvel trying to truly be "Earths Mightiest Hero". One of the things that came out of House of M that was positive was Carol realizing she had the potential to be more than just backup Avengers muscle. There are parts of that, especially in the first volume between the time travel and enemy within arcs.

Ms Marvel is great, its still in Origin Story mode, but its been really good so far dealing with both Kamala's life as an outsider and getting her powers. I'd call it closest to Spiderman in its tone like early high school Peter stuff.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay so probably grab the newest Ms Marvel series and the newest Captain Marvel then? Also when I was looking up the new Ms Marvel on Comixology, I noticed there was a "free Infinity version" of the first issue. Is this the first issue with animated frames and stuff?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the clarifications on Elektra's backstory earlier.

Hakkesshu posted:

Ms. Marvel, however, has been really great so far. One of the best new books of 2014 along with She-Hulk (read She-Hulk).
The description in the OP says She-Hulk is lawyering up. I don't know poo poo about She-Hulk other than she is green but I will read the hell out of lawyer superheroes; so far, is it a gimmick or is lawyering the focus of the series?

Also yeah, Ms. Marvel is good but it's my first comic book series so I have nothing to compare it against (other than the first issue of Elektra :v:).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She-Hulk very much has a focus on lawyering in these first few issues. Who knows if that will change, but it begins with her starting her own firm and dealing with crazy superhero law poo poo. I think it was issue 2 that is all about her butting heads with Tony Stark's ruthless legal strike team.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's also being written by Charles Soule who, on top of trying to take over Marvel and DC by writing every single book he can, is a successful and practicing lawyer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The description in the OP says She-Hulk is lawyering up. I don't know poo poo about She-Hulk other than she is green but I will read the hell out of lawyer superheroes; so far, is it a gimmick or is lawyering the focus of the series?
One thing you should know about She-Hulk is that she (or rather, Jen Walters) is a lawyer. It was a focus of the Dan Slott runs on She-Hulk from 2004 onward (which were also really good).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's also illustrated in a style that's heavily influenced by 50s girl comics. Some folks find that off-putting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SynthOrange posted:

It's also illustrated in a style that's heavily influenced by 50s girl comics. Some folks find that off-putting.

I don't think that's why people find Javier Pulido's art offputting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's also being written by Charles Soule who, on top of trying to take over Marvel and DC by writing every single book he can, is a successful and practicing lawyer.

I asked him how he found the time to do all of this stuff when I saw him at C2E2 and he simply said "I have an army of interns. An army." and went back to signing books.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think he's an immigration lawyer, which is a largely administrative thing. For a more serious answer, he wrote up his strategy on getting poo poo done here.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm waiting for trades to come out for She-Hulk because I already have too many comics I'm keeping up with. But it looks really good!

Captain Marvel is pretty fun so far. But its only a matter of time before KSD deploys some random unnecessary plot device. Maybe she'll have to go rehab in space because Star Lord gets her to drink(please don't do this).

Ms. Marvel is like if Marvel bought the rights to an indie comic and let it run. Its a cool story, kinda light on action so far but very character driven.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I really doubt Kelly Sue DeConnick is going to resort to some cheap alcoholic stunt.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dan Didio posted:

I really doubt Kelly Sue DeConnick is going to resort to some cheap alcoholic stunt.

She already gave us depowering brain tumors and amnesia back to back so I'm bracing for the worst.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

She already gave us depowering brain tumors and amnesia back to back so I'm bracing for the worst.

I doubt she will do this since she knows how inappropriate it is since she lives with an alcoholic

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's barely even amnesia too since she knows everything anyway.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Everyone's favourite new hot writer is now Marvel exclusive!
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marvel-announces-exclusive-agreement-with-sam-humphries/1100-148679/

Did you think it was Charles Soule? Silly you, it's SAM "Uncanny X-Force" HUMPHRIES!!!!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

It's barely even amnesia too since she knows everything anyway.

Besides, amnesia is a proud Carol Danvers tradition. She'll get it all back.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've started reading Avengers: The Initiative and I hate it. It pisses on my ideal of what superheroes represent. Becoming a superhero should be a freely-made choice that is rare, bizarre and not entirely sensible. Here we have the government trying to mass-produce superheroes like sausages by press-ganging children, some of whom have no interest in being either a hero or a villain. Cloud 9 is a case in point.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Skip straight to the Boulder/Butterball issue. That is in the top five for best single issues of all time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

I've started reading Avengers: The Initiative and I hate it. It pisses on my ideal of what superheroes represent. Becoming a superhero should be a freely-made choice that is rare, bizarre and not entirely sensible. Here we have the government trying to mass-produce superheroes like sausages by press-ganging children, some of whom have no interest in being either a hero or a villain. Cloud 9 is a case in point.

That's part of the point, really. Which isn't trying to get you to like it, if a message alienates the audience it's not handled well, but "wow, the people behind this are pretty hosed up" is a running theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt she will do this since she knows how inappropriate it is since she lives with an alcoholic

She's an alcoholic too.

I have to figure that of the list of things you think might go wrong with Captain Marvel, a relapse shouldn't be on it until such a time as DeConnick is off the book.

• Locked thread