Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Violen posted:

Sorry to drag up a post from several pages back, but is there anything less tenuous to this than just the fact that Nintendo never specifically referred to the roster as final? I'd prefer the option of having a few available or unlockable characters that go unannounced, but I don't care if they wind up being part of DLC packages provided the content and price are right. As long as it's not Emerald Green Rosalina. Somebody asked if Brawl's hype campaign had left a few characters out of the spotlight before release, and it had. All unlockable ones, if I'm remembering right. But as far as Mario Kart 8 goes, I can't track down any sources that pull any quotes about its roster from the horse's mouth. I'm all for this being true, though. It was said they should just introduce alt costumes to the series in the form of metal and baby skins for everybody to sate whoever at Nintendo is obsessed with those two concepts, and I'm inclined to agree.

Some game journalism folk already have the game and it's pretty much confirmed that the 30 characters we know of are the only characters in the base game.

Here you can see the divide between characters available from the start and unlockable characters.

There are 12 lightweight characters compared to 8 mediumweight and 9 heavyweights. The large amount of baby characters are a bloat to the roster every way you look at it. :smithicide:

e: vvvvv

Bobnumerotres posted:

Arguable. It is a silent hill game where you don't actually fight monsters, you just walk around a spooky place but you're never in any actual danger unless the plot says so.

In terms of atmosphere it's beautiful but when there's a clear divide between "you can be killed" and "you cannot be killed" scenes in the game it loving ruins it for me.

Well, Gutcruncher did say 'good Wii game' and not 'Good Silent Hill game'! :haw:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a great Wii game that nobody bought. Buy that!

Arguable. It is a silent hill game where you don't actually fight monsters, you just walk around a spooky place but you're never in any actual danger unless the plot says so.

In terms of atmosphere it's beautiful but when there's a clear divide between "you can be killed" and "you cannot be killed" scenes in the game it loving ruins it for me.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Really hoping any hypothetical Mario Kart 8 DLC would just be packs of 1 new cup + 1-2 racers, and some kart body/wheels/hangglider additions.

Can't really imagine them selling individual tracks or anything like that, honestly. And I suppose retro tracks would be more likely than completely new ones.

All in all, really really hope they try out DLC and having a small team add new stuff to the game over the years, since they still haven't experimented too much with DLC so far.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who loves stupid choices?
Characters in Mario Kart 8 continue to have stats by themselves. Waluigi of course is bottom tier

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just caved and got the Tesco deal. £200 for the console and 2 games was too good to pass up. This new Mario Kart looks great but the character choices are a tad odd.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Was the Wii U supposed to have some Google Streetview thing or was that a bizarre fever dream from a few years ago?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Anatharon posted:

Was the Wii U supposed to have some Google Streetview thing or was that a bizarre fever dream from a few years ago?

Still has it - check the eshop if its not already installed, in which case, its basically the icon with a magnifying glass over a map. Mind you, haven't used it myself for a while...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Whoo! Finally beat DK Tropical Freeze. A heck of a final fight, definitely tougher than Tiki Tong or whoever from game one. I'm surprised they stuck with just six worlds, but each one is gorgeous and full of levels so I definitely don't feel like I missed out on any content. I still have a few hidden levels to unlock, but overall this game is heads and tails better than DK: Returns, if only by virtue of having far less obnoxious one-death rocket barrel levels. The water stages were all fantastic.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Like the one guy says in the last page of that thread, I wouldn't be too surprised if acceleration means a whole lot more in this game. Having played the demo, you get the coin item while in first a good chunk of the time, and items like the boomerang can break through turtling strategies. I can't say anything definitively, but I feel that top speed + bananas and shells will be much less simpler, so you may get to use your Waluigi yet.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Champeenship posted:

Like the one guy says in the last page of that thread, I wouldn't be too surprised if acceleration means a whole lot more in this game. Having played the demo, you get the coin item while in first a good chunk of the time, and items like the boomerang can break through turtling strategies. I can't say anything definitively, but I feel that top speed + bananas and shells will be much less simpler, so you may get to use your Waluigi yet.

For what it's worth, this doesn't matter in Time Trials.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

mabels big day posted:

For what it's worth, this doesn't matter in Time Trials.

And Time Trials don't matter for anything. :smug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Great, more min-maxing sperging from the "pro" Mario Kart players. :ughh:

Looking forward to online rooms full of the same character with the same vehicle.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully there's more to it. They seem to care about balance this time with balancing the bikes/karts and adding the super horn.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Alteisen posted:

Great, more min-maxing sperging from the "pro" Mario Kart players. :ughh:

Looking forward to online rooms full of the same character with the same vehicle.
That happened a lot with Mario Kart DS as well. Everyone was always Yoshi in that Eggmobile.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully there's more to it. They seem to care about balance this time with balancing the bikes/karts and adding the super horn.

I'm assuming that it's like MK7 and there will be hidden stats for different choices (Gliders had air stats beyond the shown weight & acceleration stats, lighter classes were faster underwater etc.), but what that'll do in practical terms I'm not sure.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chaltab posted:

That happened a lot with Mario Kart DS as well. Everyone was always Yoshi in that Eggmobile.

MKWii was Daisy in the Mach Bike or Funky Kong in the Bowser Bike, MK7 was Metal Mario in the B-dasher with the red monster and either the para glider or the beast glider.

quote:

I'm assuming that it's like MK7 and there will be hidden stats for different choices (Gliders had air stats beyond the shown weight & acceleration stats, lighter classes were faster underwater etc.), but what that'll do in practical terms I'm not sure.

In practical terms it means there's going to be some sort of meta in regards to racers and karts, as time goes on you'll be seeing a lot of the same kart/character combo in online races(least non goon stuff anyway.)

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Chaltab posted:

Was it? I do remember seeing that often, but I also remember seeing Dry Bones in the drat tank way more often, with maybe someone in the vaccum car every now and then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On a better note we now have the best track in the series

I'm so excited every time I watch this level, it's so good.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That is... really awesome.

And I think it shows a perk of having some levels be small enough to loop around, whilst others are just one really long track. Some you'll be able to acclimate to with each lap, and thus improve mid-race, whilst others will be able to surprise and challenge people when there's something new to get through with each lap.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This track looks incredible and Ludwig's voice clips are great. :allears:

May 30th can't come soon enough!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JordanKai posted:

Well, Gutcruncher did say 'good Wii game' and not 'Good Silent Hill game'! :haw:

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say it was a Good Silent Hill game, when Silent Hill: Homecoming exists.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Tick Tock Clock is going to be glorious with 12 racers online. Is only play region locked on Wii U games?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dugong posted:

Tick Tock Clock is going to be glorious with 12 racers online. Is only play region locked on Wii U games?
You mean "online play"?

Nah.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dugong posted:

It should allow worldwide play since the other online Mario Karts did.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Dugong posted:

It does, a few NA journalists/early receivers have talked about playing with other people in EU and AU territories. You can even set tournaments to accept Worldwide entrants, I believe.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Kurtofan posted:

You mean "online play"?

Nah.

Whoops autocorrect going off there. Thanks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

In the Nightmare sequences you can absolutely be killed. Since it was mentioned in this thread, I've been playing through it again and not only is it STILL creepy as hell the second time through, but the Nightmare sections add enough tension to the game and compliment you being weaponless really well. It's nice that they decided to mix up the formula a bit from "person that has a handgun, shotgun, flares, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, grenades, knives, tazers, uzis and so on" to "dude with a flashlight".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

So where the heck is Boo is this sham of a character list?

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

It' been a couple of games, but I still get annoyed that 5 character slots are wasted on stupid "baby" versions.

Metal Mario? Pink Gold Peach? What the crap? We're going Capcom.

Fooly Cooly 25 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 5, 2014

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
By the end of the decade, scientists estimate that the Mario Kart series will feature more derivative characters than actual Mario characters.

Mario Kart 9, featuring Marble Luigi and Wax Waluigi.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Champeenship posted:

By the end of the decade, scientists estimate that the Mario Kart series will feature more derivative characters than actual Mario characters.

Mario Kart 9, featuring Marble Luigi and Wax Waluigi.

Dry Waluigi. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Louisgod posted:

In the Nightmare sequences you can absolutely be killed. Since it was mentioned in this thread, I've been playing through it again and not only is it STILL creepy as hell the second time through, but the Nightmare sections add enough tension to the game and compliment you being weaponless really well. It's nice that they decided to mix up the formula a bit from "person that has a handgun, shotgun, flares, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, grenades, knives, tazers, uzis and so on" to "dude with a flashlight".

The problem with the way Shattered Memories handled it was that you knew if you weren't currently in a chase, you were in no danger at all. Also, I liked the way Silent Hill 3 handled combat, because although you could technically kill most of the enemies you came across, they were so powerful that you would make the decision to run away, rather than have it be the only option. You would also have to decide whether to clear out an area of enemies to make exploration and back tracking easier, or save your resources and try to avoid them constantly.

I would have been fine if they had just found a way to make the parts that weren't chase sequences tense or dangerous.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

It' been a couple of games, but I still get annoyed that 5 character slots are wasted on stupid "baby" versions.

Metal Mario? Pink Gold Peach? What the crap? We're going Capcom.

I don't really mind Metal Mario since he at least has some history of showing up in Mario spin-off titles since the N64. But Copper Peach or whatever she is is a complete waste of a slot.
Then again, I get Lemmy Koopa and Shy Guy so I really don't mind or care about the metallic babies.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

deadwing posted:

Dry Waluigi. :colbert:

Gold Wario and Pyrite Waluigi.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

That loving Sned posted:

The problem with the way Shattered Memories handled it was that you knew if you weren't currently in a chase, you were in no danger at all. Also, I liked the way Silent Hill 3 handled combat, because although you could technically kill most of the enemies you came across, they were so powerful that you would make the decision to run away, rather than have it be the only option. You would also have to decide whether to clear out an area of enemies to make exploration and back tracking easier, or save your resources and try to avoid them constantly.

I would have been fine if they had just found a way to make the parts that weren't chase sequences tense or dangerous.

I liked reading the developer's notes as to why the chose to only make the Nightmare sequences tense (Wikipedia):

quote:

The chase sequences were designed to evoke a brief sense of tension and fright for the player, although the developers did not want to prolong the tension with the constant presence of monsters, and were concerned that this would become overwhelming and spoil the player's immersion in the game and interest in the story.[42] The constant presence of monsters was also thought to be irrelevant to Shattered Memories; director Mark Simmons said, "this Harry Mason is not a guy who is constantly under attack from monsters. It's not a story of surviving a zombie apocalypse."[42] Additionally, to make information-gathering in the game realistic and corresponding to modern life standards, the developers substituted text in scattered documents, a common element in survival horror games, for the player's interaction with the in-game environment and use of the cell phone.[

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there's a reason why they removed the danger and the tension outside the Nightmare sequences and I agree with them that having that overarching feeling of always potentially being in danger can take away from the immersion of the game's story and (empty) environment, otherwise it definitely does turn into another zombie apocalypse scenario.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SilverSupernova posted:

I don't really mind Metal Mario since he at least has some history of showing up in Mario spin-off titles since the N64. But Copper Peach or whatever she is is a complete waste of a slot.
Then again, I get Lemmy Koopa and Shy Guy so I really don't mind or care about the metallic babies.

I think metal peach was just so they had an easy to make girl driver for that size class. But yeah it's lazy, even Toadette is just a guy Toad but they took the effort to have a bow slapped on it. I mean geez I would have liked Bowser's Wife or something more original.

However Metal Mario himself was made so the N64 could show off it's texturing capabilities. So none of them really had that much thought put into them as far as actual characters.

I'm still waiting for a racing course based on Brooklyn, I mean remember when the Mario bros. were from Brooklyn?(at least according to Nintendo power), it's become so blasé it's no wonder why people love Waluigi, he's the most original thing in years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

it's become so blasé it's no wonder why people love Waluigi, he's the most original thing in years.

Hey now, that's just true at all. It's just that Nintendo refuses to put Broozers in their spin-offs. :colbert:

How could you hate this guy? :3:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

Hey now, that's just true at all. It's just that Nintendo refuses to put Broozers in their spin-offs. :colbert:

How could you hate this guy? :3:

He's just like the Chuck guys, but he is a poor imitation of a classic.

He's dead to me.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Dramatics about recent Mario games characters aside, it looks like Pokken, that Pokemon Fighting thing they teased for a second at the end of that one "walk down memory lane" youtube video a while back got some European trademarks recently. This, adding to the American trademarks last August means we'll probably see something about it next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Why can't they use Warioware characters? They have way more personality than any Mario character to the point of having character arcs.

• Locked thread