Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the reason given for lack of steam integration is that not everybody bought the game on steam.
Well, Steam integration could still be done. Either by having a separate build for Steam integration, or loading the Steam DLL at runtime if Steam is detected. Not sure if it supports the latter though.

Something for the back burner I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inverness posted:

Well, Steam integration could still be done. Either by having a separate build for Steam integration, or loading the Steam DLL at runtime if Steam is detected. Not sure if it supports the latter though.

Something for the back burner I guess.

The idea was that both steam and non-steam folks are supposed to be able to play together, that's why the triumph account thing exists, because they can't use steam for matchmaking if not everyone uses steam.

So separate builds would be sort of impractical.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The idea was that both steam and non-steam folks are supposed to be able to play together, that's why the triumph account thing exists, because they can't use steam for matchmaking if not everyone uses steam.

So separate builds would be sort of impractical.

Pretty much this. We could probably add more steam features, like maybe reading data from steam friends lists and using it to find other triumph accounts, but we can't do full steam integration without cutting off all the GOG customers.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've never really played any 4X games but I saw this come up on Steam today as a feature and it looks really fun. Guess I'm taking the plunge right now and will try it out. Looks like a lot to wrap my head around.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Pretty much this. We could probably add more steam features, like maybe reading data from steam friends lists and using it to find other triumph accounts, but we can't do full steam integration without cutting off all the GOG customers.

Are there just enough of them that this would be a serious issue? Splitting the playerbase might be unfortunate, but having to make an additional account for every new game is really loving obnoxious and has turned a few friends (and myself) away from picking this up at release.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are there just enough of them that this would be a serious issue? Splitting the playerbase might be unfortunate, but having to make an additional account with some third party for every new game is really loving obnoxious and has turned a few friends (and myself) away from picking this up at release.

It would be a bit of a dick move to sell the game as cross-platform and then drop the support afterwards. Making it steam-only to begin with is one thing, but dumping a chunk of the playerbase post-release is another.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are there just enough of them that this would be a serious issue? Splitting the playerbase might be unfortunate, but having to make an additional account for every new game is really loving obnoxious and has turned a few friends (and myself) away from picking this up at release.

Fortunately making the account is mostly a matter of 'what do you want your username to be' 'what do you want your password to be'. Oh, you have steam? That proves everything else we need, account created.

If you really hate it you can just skip making an account - it's only for multiplayer, and making an account for multiplayer isn't that unreasonable.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yeah, as someone who hates that sort of poo poo in any game ever I can say that Triumph went about it in the least-intrusive way possible.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm generally not one to begrudge 'no DRM for singleplayer, need to confirm that you bought the game for multiplayer' - it's pretty reasonable especially if single player is really good anyway.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The system works fine and the devs have more important things to worry about to be sure. I only brought it up because the game feels so well done in so many aspects that I was genuinely surprised I couldn't use the steam UI to invite/join games, especially after syncing truimph and steam accounts. It would be nice, sure, but it is a fairly minor inconvenience. The built in game browser works.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that at certain angles the mermaid shrine becomes transparent and you can see underwater? They actually modeled and animated all sorts of underwater rocks and seaweed and ruins that you wouldn't be able to see except for that bug. I wonder if there is underwater stuff planned (or was cut)?

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Anyone have a savegame after campaign mission 6 (capture the leaders)? I can't get past it thanks to bugs and I've wasted so much time trying to work around it (cheating and using the "win" command doesn't work since it thinks you've killed both leaders and you get booted to the menu after getting the mission win debriefing)... Right now I got both of their capitals surrounded but can't do poo poo because the throne rerouting doesn't work.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Is there a way to speed up the combat in multiplayer? Spamming right click doesn't seem to do anything.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Yannos posted:

Anyone have a savegame after campaign mission 6 (capture the leaders)? I can't get past it thanks to bugs and I've wasted so much time trying to work around it (cheating and using the "win" command doesn't work since it thinks you've killed both leaders and you get booted to the menu after getting the mission win debriefing)... Right now I got both of their capitals surrounded but can't do poo poo because the throne rerouting doesn't work.

You've ran up to the leaders and meleed them at least once with the hero holding the stick before killing them, then waiting until they respawn for them to teleport somewhere else?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Yannos posted:

The debriefing is the end of the game. Congratulations, you won!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

The debriefing is the end of the game. Congratulations, you won!

I think he means like.. the stats screen, not the 'ending'.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Geblyn, has anyone thought about allowing builders to build bridges? Roads are pretty useful and being able to build bridges would make them that much more effective.

Also I'm surprised more of the special encounter effect spells didn't make it in as playable spells, it would really help flesh out some of the specialties to have things like mass bless/curse, greater anime dead, great immolation, etc etc be castable battle enchants.

It really sucks that many of the things druids can summon you can't befriend if you find them in the wild, since they are flagged as monsters instead of animals. Spiders especially, but there are others.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 5, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think bridges couldn't be built because of an engine limitation. Hopefully the engine gets un-limited sometime in the future.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

Geblyn, has anyone thought about allowing builders to build bridges? Roads are pretty useful and being able to build bridges would make them that much more effective.

Also I'm surprised more of the special encounter effect spells didn't make it in as playable spells, it would really help flesh out some of the specialties to have things like mass bless/curse, greater anime dead, great immolation, etc etc be castable battle enchants.

It really sucks that many of the things druids can summon you can't befriend if you find them in the wild, since they are flagged as monsters instead of animals. Spiders especially, but there are others.

Greater animate dead could easily be a necromancer spell, at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Carnalfex posted:

Any spell that doesn't show up anywhere else (including Summon Phoenix, which is the only unit you can't otherwise recruit) can be randomly obtained from Wizard Towers and Sunken Cities and the like. So far I've just seen environmental effect spells, but I've only ever cleared a few of those structures.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 5, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Any spell that doesn't show up anywhere else (including Summon Phoenix, which is the only unit you can't otherwise recruit) can be randomly obtained from Wizard Towers and Sunken Cities and the like. So far I've just seen environmental effect spells, but I've only ever cleared a few of those structures.

I've only cleared a couple as well, since they are tough enough that if you can clear them you can probably also end the game.

I have gotten "summon dire penguin" from one, which was hilarious and underwhelming. Not as underwhelming as the reward I got from the other I cleared though.....summon kobold!

Is it just me or does the AI never fight each other? I tried specifically putting them on different teams and they only ever attack/disjunct/debuff human players. This is the start of skynet.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 5, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Carnalfex posted:

Is it just me or does the AI never fight each other? I tried specifically putting them on different teams and they only ever attack/disjunct/debuff human players. This is the start of skynet.

Any actual fighting is probably hard to spot as the AI seems to just burn its own cities and retreats every time it gets as much as a whiff of enemies nearby. Although I do believe I once saw an AI take a city from another! In the 50-60ish hours that I've played so far. Might have been a bug v:shobon:v

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!

Wolpertinger posted:

You've ran up to the leaders and meleed them at least once with the hero holding the stick before killing them, then waiting until they respawn for them to teleport somewhere else?

Yeah multiple times. I've verified every time that they do in fact have the debuff before dying. A few times I've ambushed the hero party on the map and took 'em out there but they simply respawn in their Throne city after a few turns. Doing the same inside the Throne City is an automatic loss since the game figures I've killed them.

Last time I had to wait until the AI created enough stacks so I could attack the city without taking the city core. I hit him, he got the debuff and still he respawned as normal.

Didn't realize it was the last mission though... In that case I think I'll just give up and start the commonwealth campaign or try some random maps.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are the devs working on optimizing the game? Because I've just come back from the store, having needed to reseat a block of RAM after it popped out, presumably from the heat :stare: I'm at fault too, mind you- all those times I heard the fan over my headphones should've been some sort of warning.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

I think I looked into it, and it was decided at the time not to do it because of weird limitations about where bridges can actually be placed. It was things like not being able to have bridges next to other bridges, or leading onto hexes with mountains... I suppose I could look into it again, since a lot of people are asking for it.

Also, she spells you mention should all be available from conquering wizards towers. It's a bit of a mixed bag in there though, as other people have said, some of the other spells aren't really worth having unless you really like penguins.

Yannos posted:

Yeah multiple times. I've verified every time that they do in fact have the debuff before dying. A few times I've ambushed the hero party on the map and took 'em out there but they simply respawn in their Throne city after a few turns. Doing the same inside the Throne City is an automatic loss since the game figures I've killed them.

Are you playing with the latest patch? I fixed a bunch of issues with this mission in it. For example, you should be able to capture the guy's throne city now without losing the game, if you correctly killed him after meleeing him with the right hero...

CommissarMega posted:

Are the devs working on optimizing the game? Because I've just come back from the store, having needed to reseat a block of RAM after it popped out, presumably from the heat :stare: I'm at fault too, mind you- all those times I heard the fan over my headphones should've been some sort of warning.

We're doing some optimization as we go, but the game is pretty heavy. Specifically running all the different AIs takes up a lot of processing power. The only solution for that would be to throttle it somehow, so it just sat idle for a while every update to try and give systems a rest. It shouldn't cause your memory to overheat though, afaik in normal circumstances nothing should cause RAM to overheat. I'm not sure what the shop said, but if all they did was push the RAM back into the motherboard you might want to have someone else to check the machine for hardware issues. Another possibility is that the motherboard is misconfigured and is using the wrong voltage with the memory chips.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 5, 2014

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am probably in the minority but I really dislike games that think they need their own launcher and multiplayer network (Ubisoft comes to mind here too), it's just unneeded when I have steam. I would have preferred it if the game had full steam integration, my only multiplayer is with steam friends anyhow. Some sort of simple IP based multiplayer would do for the non-steam folks since they likely have fix people to play with.

There already is a big, working network with steam that handles my accounts and everything, I didn't really need an other account to take care of.

And just to not be so negative, it's really great to see this much post release support for a game as opposed to the more common "fire and forget" strategy.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Gerblyn mentioned easier that full Steam integration would require them to jettison all non-Steam versions, and they don't want to abandon the GOG folks. That's also why it has its own launcher and network.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Fewd posted:

Any actual fighting is probably hard to spot as the AI seems to just burn its own cities and retreats every time it gets as much as a whiff of enemies nearby.
I'd love to hear some kind of acknowledgement that this is a known issue, not working as designed, and will be fixed.

I just don't understand why there are so few people talking about how absolutely broken the strategic AI is outside of the campaign.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Are you playing with the latest patch? I fixed a bunch of issues with this mission in it. For example, you should be able to capture the guy's throne city now without losing the game, if you correctly killed him after meleeing him with the right hero...

Yeah I think so (I use Steam). I've reinstalled the game as well to be sure but capturing the throne city is still an automatic fail for me even with the debuff. I can upload a save if you like?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Yannos posted:

Yeah I think so (I use Steam). I've reinstalled the game as well to be sure but capturing the throne city is still an automatic fail for me even with the debuff. I can upload a save if you like?

Please do, yeah. Just to make sure, did you start map 6 after the patch dropped? We released the patch on the 29th of April.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

boho posted:

I'd love to hear some kind of acknowledgement that this is a known issue, not working as designed, and will be fixed.

I just don't understand why there are so few people talking about how absolutely broken the strategic AI is outside of the campaign.

There have been, Gerblyn already said the coder responsible for the AI was overloaded and on break at the moment. Presumably once he's back they'll start tinkering with strategic behavior.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Please do, yeah. Just to make sure, did you start map 6 after the patch dropped? We released the patch on the 29th of April.

Mmmh, honestly I don't know... Probably not though. I've restarted my Normal game once into Easy because when I encountered the bug I first figured I did something wrong myself and after a while the AI just became too strong to keep trying. But I think that was still in the old version since the map takes quite some time to play through :) ... I'll upload it when I get home tonight.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Yannos posted:

Mmmh, honestly I don't know... Probably not though. I've restarted my Normal game once into Easy because when I encountered the bug I first figured I did something wrong myself and after a while the AI just became too strong to keep trying. But I think that was still in the old version since the map takes quite some time to play through :) ... I'll upload it when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Also, she spells you mention should all be available from conquering wizards towers. It's a bit of a mixed bag in there though, as other people have said, some of the other spells aren't really worth having unless you really like penguins.

Perhaps low tier spells could be moved to the reward table for lower tier dungeons?

As always you guys are doing a fantastic job! I know a few people that have jumped on the game post-launch specifically because of the support it is getting.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe wizard towers and forbidden sanctums could offer a choice of one of several possible spells, with a somewhat balanced mix between quirky but basic spells, and the really good (and mana-expensive) stuff.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

As promised: http://users.telenet.be/YannickJ/SAVES.rar

One save is without cheats; I'm near the capitol of Leonus where I'm about to do a very difficult battle ...
the other one is cheated (partly because I fought so hard to win that Leonus fight and still it didn't work :). There I've surrounded both capitols.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Really digging this game. Made it through Elf 4 in the campaign and want to try getting into the random map games now. Dead set on making a Dwarf Sorcerer.

I've noticed there's a lot of talk about the races and classes and their respective advantages/disadvantages, but I haven't seen a lot of talk on spell affinities for creating your own hero. Is it worth it to double up on any particular schools to get their Masteries, or do people prefer to get 3 Adept schools instead? What are the advantages for choosing one affinity over the other?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
You can pop open the tome of wonders and search under skills, limited to a particular specialization. There you can see exactly what you get for each skillset choice. There tend to be more spells available in apprentice skillsets than masters, but mastery opens up some big global gamechangers. Some people prefer more early game options while some like the big showy stuff. In general though the spec choices don't make a big difference in play since there just aren't that many specialization spells right now, and you can generally cover all the basic needs by abilities given from your class.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

YorexTheMad posted:

Really digging this game. Made it through Elf 4 in the campaign and want to try getting into the random map games now. Dead set on making a Dwarf Sorcerer.

I've noticed there's a lot of talk about the races and classes and their respective advantages/disadvantages, but I haven't seen a lot of talk on spell affinities for creating your own hero. Is it worth it to double up on any particular schools to get their Masteries, or do people prefer to get 3 Adept schools instead? What are the advantages for choosing one affinity over the other?

Im off to bed so im eyeballing this post, but if i remember my "cheesy" setups are:

Dreadnaught, at least 1 sphere in air. Seeker is a great spell. I cant remember the rest. :v:

Inspired by Gerblyn, Rogue, destruction, explorer, point free for anything. This might be less hilarious but build assassin stacks, nab cities, set them to explode if captured. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Air, Fire and Destruction are the most fun to double up on, as you get a spell that basically lets you turn the entire overworld into arctic/tropics/blight and another that makes your cities happy in those climates. Creation is theoretically better, as its adept sphere gets a spell that makes your cities happy in temperate climates and another that lets you convert chunks of terrain into temperate, but if your end goal is to make the overworld livable and bland, you're playing the game wrong. :colbert:

The elemental masteries also let you summon elementals, which are solid tier 3 units. Earth and Fire have nasty spells that damage everyone on the field (though earthquake doesn't hurt flying units), water gets a healing spell and a weaker AoE spell, and Air gets the Haste Buff and that environmental effect that screws up ranged attacks. Earth also gets a spell that kills population in an enemy city and destroys a random building; I don't know the mechanics, but don't count on it to destroy walls. Water gets a spell that terraforms a bunch of terrain into wetlands, which is mostly good for goblins.

Destruction gets Disintegrate, which is like a superpowered physical version of Smite, and a 20% damage bonus to tactical mode spells. Creation mastery gives you a resurrection spell and one that curses enemies who kill a Devout unit. I'm pretty sure the only devout unit you can get without being a Theocrat is the Human Knight, so it's pretty much a school for Theocrats.

The Explorer specialization is best for Rogues, as it confers its bonuses to Irregular units, while Expansion has no class or race preference.

As a Dwarf Sorcerer, you're gonna have a ton of casting points and a lot of tactical combat spells. With your casting pool, you could invest in Fire Mastery for a buff to make a unit immune to fire damage, the ability to summon fire elementals, and a spell that deals fire damage to everyone on the battlefield. Just roll up to a fortified city with your leader stacked with fire elementals, buff him to fire immunity, and carpet the city with Hellfire until there's no walls left. Destruction mastery could also be solid for the bonus to your direct damage spells.

You can also check the tome of wonders for all the abilities you get from each sphere. I think the most viable strategy is choosing three minor spheres or two and a specialization, since early-game abilities tend to decide the game moreso than late-game spells, and each Adept sphere gives you +5 mana from its related mana node, but the Mastery spells are so much more fun.

• Locked thread