Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DarkstarIV posted:

Trust me, once you've seen Titan Extreme's pattern, Titan HM's will look really simple to memorize.

Mind you, the Granite Gaolers (note the s at the end) at the start of the final phase are actually adds/monsters you have to kill quickly, otherwise Titan and the Gaolers will get a determination buff soon after. Also whoever is off tanking at the moment needs to make sure they stay in a corner because after they die they leave a big puddle behind that inflicts heavy, last I checked.

Other fun mechanics include landslides that split out in multiple directions, more bomb patterns, and souped up mountain busters. So the main tank and off tank will have to swap every two or three mountain busters, as they give a stacking vulnerability up debuff. Oh yeah and the Granite Gaol that traps people? He always traps a DPS and healer, and the closer they are, the more defense the gaols have. This is on top of the fact that the gaols will start casting a spell that can't be interrupted, and if it goes off, whoever is trapped inside the gaol at the time will instantly die.

What I'm saying is Titan HM is really easy compared to Titan Extreme, and when you get to that point, it may be a good idea to ask Football School to get help with him.

:stare: suddenly I regret beating Garuda EX if this is what I have to look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mo0 posted:

:stare: suddenly I regret beating Garuda EX if this is what I have to look forward to

Once you get the fight, Titan EX isn't actually that difficult. The actual hard part, as with most things, is finding 7 other people that are capable of doing the fight as well and most of those people have no reason to do Titan ever again.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Isn't there an Extreme Roulette or some poo poo

Also, what iLevel should I be looking at before walking into Titan HM?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

As a tank your requirements are a little more lenient, but since there's a 50% echo now you basically just need people that don't get hit by landslide.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Rei_ posted:

There is a expert Roulette, which is 2.2's three dungeons, but there aren't any roulettes that include any of the extreme primals.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rei_ posted:

HM Titan is going to require for me at least a post-it note and some rough notes by my laptop.

You don't. You really don't.

I thought I did, and printed out a cheatsheet thing and posted it up next to my monitor, but when it came time to do HM Titan, I was on my feet until either we wiped, or he died. It was a complete waste of toner and paper.

You only need to remember the basic raiding rules:

1) Tank turns the boss away.
2) You don't stand in the stupid.
3) Kill the adds.
* In this case, the adds are Titan's Heart and the Gaols. The bombs will kill themselves.

And then three other tips for Titan:

1) The bombs will start flashing as they count down to explosion. Stand on the last one to start flashing, then run into the space created when the first one flashing blows up.
2) During the last phase, when Titan starts doing Table Flips: If you're PLD-tanking, pop a cooldown every time after Titan does a Landslide. If you're WAR-tanking, keep Storm's Path up on him at all times, and save your Inner Beast for just then.
3) When all else fails, find somebody who looks like they know what they're doing, /focustarget them, and FOLLOW THEM.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 5, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Titan Ex has less coordination than either ifrit or garuda ex, but finding a group that can dodge isn't always easy. Got my allagan battleaxe a bit ago. Wanted to run a few more times so I could get closer to my bear but everyone bailed after.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
See that's the thing that leaves me feeling rather confident, I've never had any issues dodging Titan stuff outside of the occasional brainfart. My connection's always been solid enough not to have any "gently caress you I was out of that" moments so if it's just "HM but with more dodging" I can deal with that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's a little more than just HM plus more dodging, but that is the most simplistic way of describing it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Really my only piece of advice for Titan Ex would be "always assume the next move is plumes". Plumes are the only really deadly thing, because they WILL oneshot you all stacked like that. Always be prepared to dodge plumes and anything else can be dodged on reaction times, landslides actually have a fairly big lag before they go off and bombs are easy.

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.
Meanwhile, on Ultros #2:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's a little more than just HM plus more dodging, but that is the most simplistic way of describing it.
I'd say it's not even so much more dodging. The abilities are more frequent yes, but for the most part dealing with all the basic abilities is just a more intimidating looking version of Titan hard mode. You still deal with the weight of the land in the same way that a lot of groups did, and the landslides is still just a "Is it on you? Then move to the side" mechanic even though it looks a lot more scary with five of them going out at once. The tricky bits are mostly in getting used to the new bomb formations and dealing with the adds, since everything else you should already be familiar with from Titan hard mode. There's also the upheaval, but it's easy enough to deal with (You just have to get real close to Titan).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SpazmasterX posted:

Once you get the fight, Titan EX isn't actually that difficult. The actual hard part, as with most things, is finding 7 other people that are capable of doing the fight as well and most of those people have no reason to do Titan ever again.

Titan Ex sounds hard, and looks hard, and to be frank yes it's pretty hard at first. But I actually found it easier to adapt to than Titan HM.

The thing with Titan Ex? There are no rotations. There is an exact skill order and any party with the capability to actually kill him is going to hit the skills in exactly the same order and make him jump at roughly the same times. You take the exact same actions at nearly the same time every fight, because any other action you take will result in your death.

I've done it on tank and DPS jobs and it's always the same. You avoid attacks the same way, the adds die at the same time, as a tank you don't even need to count stacks on the other tank you only need to realize "oh he just put two people in gaols at this point this means it's time to swap hate".

It's Dark Souls difficulty. It starts pretty challenging but never changes, so you only ever get better at it the more you try.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

And from everything I've heard the Binding Coil is where it goes from 'Some friends might be useful here' to 'if you don't have a group of people you know you can rely on, you will die every single time.'

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I'm trying to create a character on the PS4 version on Excalibur but the server is currently not accepting new characters. Is this a long running restriction or do I need to wait until a non peak time?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Tx2005 posted:

I'm trying to create a character on the PS4 version on Excalibur but the server is currently not accepting new characters. Is this a long running restriction or do I need to wait until a non peak time?

You need to wait until a non-peak time. Morning is the best time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rei_ posted:

And from everything I've heard the Binding Coil is where it goes from 'Some friends might be useful here' to 'if you don't have a group of people you know you can rely on, you will die every single time.'

It used to be that way for all turns, but now it's really T4 and T5 that have any wipe rate at all even in DF/PF groups. On both 4 & 5 you absolutely still need to know the mechanics of the fights or you will wipe. Twintania is the least forgiving, but since the echo buff it isn't terrible at all.

T1 and T2 are easier than any extreme primal by a long shot. T1 just takes a little bit of time because you have to kill at least the golems in route to the snakes, but can be done with a competent group in under 10-15 minutes with ease. T2 only takes about 15 minutes because everyone enrages. If you actually have a group that can pass rot, you can be done with T2 in 7-8 minutes.

T4 will take at most 7-8 minutes pretty much every time because you're at an enrage timer by that point. T4 is all about your tanks and healers doing their jobs. DPS (outside of phase 6 rook) can just kill poo poo. T5 requires full team coordination otherwise you'll never get past conflags/divebombs let alone twisters.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Just had a nightmare of a titan HM for my trial roulette. Over half the people were new (including both healers), and the scholar hadn't even watched a video. I try to be a nice player, so I stuck it out the entire hour despite it being obvious that they were not going to win even with 50% echo.

It got me thinking, shouldn't they at least let you give commendations after a failure? You get nothing for failing, so there's every incentive to just bail on a group at the first sign of trouble. There has to be a way to give people more incentive to stick around and actually try.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do commendations have any value?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feenix posted:

Do commendations have any value?

There's a title at 10, a pet at 50, a cosmetic hat at 100, a chocobo barding at 300, and a mount at 500.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a title at 10, a pet at 50, a cosmetic hat at 100, a chocobo barding at 300, and a mount at 500.

No poo poo. :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Feenix posted:

No poo poo. :)

Don't go for 500. Stop at 300, because the mount looks like golden spray painted garbage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

orange juche posted:

Don't go for 500. Stop at 300, because the mount looks like golden spray painted garbage.

Noted.

Speaking of that stuff, who in the Maelstrom GC sells the barding? I can't seem to find it.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Feenix posted:

Noted.

Speaking of that stuff, who in the Maelstrom GC sells the barding? I can't seem to find it.

Check the Quartermaster, the three tiers will be in the Materiels section of his shop.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 5, 2014

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It used to be that way for all turns, but now it's really T4 and T5 that have any wipe rate at all even in DF/PF groups. On both 4 & 5 you absolutely still need to know the mechanics of the fights or you will wipe. Twintania is the least forgiving, but since the echo buff it isn't terrible at all.
You would think so, but don't underestimate the ability of pubbies to gently caress up basic things. I joined turn 1 DF once and we quit after three wipes. I would say one of the healers is to blame because they facepulled the boss twice (I nicely called them out for it after the second time, at which point they quit the group) and during one battle both healers were healing just one tank and not the other one. And yeah, most groups I've been in have no problem, but you never know.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I DFed T4 last night and we had 2 great tanks and everything was smooth. But that's probably gonna be the exception on that one. Don't know if I would dare DF T5 for now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Astro Creep posted:

Check the Quartermaster, the three tiers will be in the Materiels section of his shop.

So I bought what I thought was the best/highest one for Maelstrom and it looks more like Tier 1.

Confused why I didn't see Tier 3. (I'm at max rank for GC.)

[ed] Adoy, it's in my inventory...

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

orange juche posted:

Don't go for 300. Stop at 100, because obviously you don't want a chocobo pope, that's just crazy.

You'll still hit 500 in a few months if you DF as healer or tank with any regularity. The golden magitek does look like spraypainted crap in most light :(

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I have the pope hat and am 40 commendations from the pope chocobo and by god I will have it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
My chocobo has been wearing nothing but his little pope hat for the last while. It's adorable :3:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone here casted a glamour on their armor? if I wanted a certain color, would I need to dye the gear BEFORE I cast the glamour or if I dyed the gear after it was glamoured on, would it reflect the color change?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
You can dye it post-glamour just fine.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

AlmightyBob posted:

I DFed T4 last night and we had 2 great tanks and everything was smooth.

I had the exact same experience on my very first T4 today. I'm DRG, I didn't know anything going in except "kill Knights first because you're melee DPS", and we had no problems whatsoever. Pretty sure everyone was ilvl 90 or so, though.

Also the bugs in T4 are totally FF12 mimics, and I heard the knights/soldiers are from FF13?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Welp, wiped twice with melusine @ 5%, first time because I didn't turn around for petrification and then shriek got placed on me. Then wiped because one of the healers dropped voice as I was running though the giants with shriek. Good job me :negative:

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I am considering returning to this game after an extended break (I played shortly into the paid sub period). Is PBC on Excalibur still the place to be?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone just told me my attacks (DRG) work best from the rear. I literally have one attack that says bonus flank and one that says bonus back.

Did I miss something or are they crazy?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Feenix posted:

Someone just told me my attacks (DRG) work best from the rear. I literally have one attack that says bonus flank and one that says bonus back.

Did I miss something or are they crazy?
The require less accuracy from the rear, you should be gearing for flank accuracy since you want to land heavy thrust. You probably want to be on the flank because heavy thrust wears off sooner than disembowel, doesn't really matter as long as you can keep your (de)buffs and DoTs up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

seorin posted:

Just had a nightmare of a titan HM for my trial roulette. Over half the people were new (including both healers), and the scholar hadn't even watched a video. I try to be a nice player, so I stuck it out the entire hour despite it being obvious that they were not going to win even with 50% echo.

It got me thinking, shouldn't they at least let you give commendations after a failure? You get nothing for failing, so there's every incentive to just bail on a group at the first sign of trouble. There has to be a way to give people more incentive to stick around and actually try.

hahaha, were you in that with me? We had like, this newbie Paladin who kept INSISTING on tanking even though I had him outgeared and I'd always be the last one standing in each fight. People kept running off the edge, no one was dodging poo poo, and the one time I said I'd tank I was so pissed off at that point I forgot to pop Defiance until Titan landed the first punch.

Anyway, I rerolled immediately after and it's a shame, a drat shame. I only had that Garuda Axe for about 12 hours.

So in 24 hours:
-Ran Ifrit with friends, flawless
-Ran Garuda through Finder, aced first try tanking
-Ran Titan, series of embarassing shitshows until finally competent people appeared.

It's weird being OT during some of these fights because your job is basically to helplessly watch the trainwreck happen.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 5, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where does one get Glamour prisms if not the Market Board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Feenix posted:

Where does one get Glamour prisms if not the Market Board?
Crafting, the recipes are lvl30, but I you need to be lvl50 to read the master recipe books.

• Locked thread