Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since I'm a total Mac homer I figured I'd look at Airplay speakers but for some reason there's not a one that supports alarms natively. I'm really happy with my Play:1 stereo pair but if those things were $150 sooner I might have looked harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CaseFace McGee posted:

Omni 212 full range loaded with Basslites and a compression drive tweeter, Jack 10 with a Deltalite and a six tweeter array. I'm building an AT for my car, 1x8 but haven't finalized the width or driver yet. I am planning to build a woofer-only Jack to daisy chain with the other one, and either a TT or THT for home theater when we buy a house.

I need to take apart the Omni again too, the drivers have so much excursion that I get baffle slap at high volume, even though I shaved down the surround after the first coat of Duratex. Once that's done, my low B will be unstoppable :getin:

I've heard the Omnis are pretty sweet, how loud does it get? I've got a friend in a (very loud) band on bass duty and he's after a new cab. I'm kinda torn between a big rear end Omni or a stack of Jacks...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

88h88 posted:

I've heard the Omnis are pretty sweet, how loud does it get? I've got a friend in a (very loud) band on bass duty and he's after a new cab. I'm kinda torn between a big rear end Omni or a stack of Jacks...

LOUD.

A 212 or 15 with good drivers can throw some sound. Running my Little Mark III, I could overpower our 50 member pep band, and my guitar player's Twin Reverb had to be driven hard to stay ahead, especially indoors.

With Neo drivers, handles and wheels installed, my Omni is really easy to move around too. Off the top of my head, I think it weighs about 70 pounds. A Jack stack would be equally effective, but you would probably need 4 of them, and the Omni is just less effort to set up. For upright or switching between tiny and big gigs I prefer Jacks, but for a loud 410 or 610 replacement the Omni is the way to go.

On topic, my Polk CS245 came yesterday from eBay, and it is very well voice matched to my towers. Very happy with it.

E: my Omni before I built the PITA speaker grill

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 24, 2014

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Guitarchitect posted:

In case anyone cares: I ended up getting two Pioneer A4's while they were on sale (they're being discontinued - $150 CAD at Future Shop, on sale). With iTunes, AirPlay, and Retune, I get perfectly synced whole-house audio with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for a remote.

So much easier/better/cheaper than Sonos, and the sound on the A4's is amazing - the only thing they're missing is the ability to stereo-pair two of them in a single room. Oh well!

I'm really interested, particularly with the A1 being super cheap, and the A3 having a battery & being splash proof. Seems like a system I could be tempted by.

Any idea how it might work out for someone NOT currently using iTunes? Can it sync up in different rooms just on DLNA? Easy to switch between sync up and individual music per speaker? I've not managed to find much info on how close to the Sonos functionality you can get to.

vvvv e: thanks for the thorough response! I have ordered one to start with. I'm sure I'll end up installing iTunes now then. At least it'll just be on my server like machine, rather than the one I actually use.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 25, 2014

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

MeKeV posted:

I'm really interested, particularly with the A1 being super cheap, and the A3 having a battery & being splash proof. Seems like a system I could be tempted by.

Any idea how it might work out for someone NOT currently using iTunes? Can it sync up in different rooms just on DLNA? Easy to switch between sync up and individual music per speaker? I've not managed to find much info on how close to the Sonos functionality you can get to.

Assuming you're a PC user like me, I think you're probably better off using Airfoil or Tuneblade to use Airplay for syncing. The whole Airplay protocol has a 2s latency built into it to more or less guarantee perfect sync between rooms - DLNA is more of a DIY affair from what I found, and it didn't work. At All. But my only experience was trying to sync in Jriver Media Center (which is crazy-powerful, like giving every zone its own separate playlist) - you could dial in the sync with enough frustration, but when the track changes it won't necessarily stay. It's only an issue for me because my zones overlap, so I do want perfect sync.

The nice thing about Airfoil or Tuneblade is that it'll send any or all audio over Airplay - including your web browser or video player. The only problem is the 2s latency... not sure if there's a PC solution for that.

All of that being said, if the A1 or A3 comes with a remote, it's actually really handy to use iTunes - the remote can control track skipping and play/pause, for those times your phone isn't around. And with Retune for Android, you get instantaneous control of your whole iTunes library from your device (including full volume and on/off control for your Airplay devices).

It's identical to the function of the Sonos system, in the end. I was hoping I could do away with iTunes, but after seeing how well it all works I'm (gasp!) happy to keep it since the speakers are designed to work with it. Never thought I'd say I'm happy to stick with iTunes... I will probably even upgrade my receiver to something Airplay compatible.

EDIT: I missed the question about individual music per speaker... On my android phone I just used AirAudio to Airplay a second stream (from "Play Music" app) to one of the speakers. It works fine but when I started the second stream, it disconnected the other AirPlay speaker. After I re-connected it in iTunes the two A4's were playing different music, both controllable from my phone.

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2014

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm finding myself in an uncommon situation and am hoping someone more knowledgeable can clarify something.

Through a series of fortunate circumstances I am being given the following:
A pair of Aeriel 10t speakers: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/466
A Proceed 3 amp to power them: http://www.proceedaudio.com/manuals/ampmanual.pdf
And a Hegeman Hapi 2 Pre-amp which may or may not work.

This is all way out of my depth, as my current system comprises of a pair of bx5e studio monitors.
My main concern is, if the pre-amp does not work, can I simply run analog out from my DAC into the amplifier? Or is the pre-amp a necessary component?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Full Circle posted:

I'm finding myself in an uncommon situation and am hoping someone more knowledgeable can clarify something.

Through a series of fortunate circumstances I am being given the following:
A pair of Aeriel 10t speakers: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/466
A Proceed 3 amp to power them: http://www.proceedaudio.com/manuals/ampmanual.pdf

This is all way out of my depth, as my current system comprises of a pair of bx5e studio monitors.
My main concern is, if the pre-amp does not work, can I simply run analog out from my DAC into the amplifier? Or is the pre-amp a necessary component?

Yes, you can, if you have some other way of adjusting the volume. Does your DAC have a volume control?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Full Circle posted:

If it doesn't work it's almost certainly because of dried out caps. It's certainly worth opening it up and checking for obvious damage.

Nice setup, by the way. Do you listen to vinyl?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

If it doesn't work it's almost certainly because of dried out caps. It's certainly worth opening it up and checking for obvious damage.

Nice setup, by the way. Do you listen to vinyl?

The setup is coming from an old school purely analog guy, but I'll be listening purely from digital sources. My DAC does have volume control, thanks for clarifying guys.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I'm looking to update my current Denon receiver as it's quite old and does not have HDMI, looking to spend $300 before taxes. Am I safe in picking any cheap Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo or are there some I should avoid at all costs?

Here's a few I'm looking at:
$200 Denon AVRE200 375W, 4 HDMI, 2 composite
$300 Onkyo TX-SR313 325W, 4 HDMI, 2 component, 5 composite
$300 Pioneer VSX-823-K 400W, 6 HDMI, 3 composite, banana plugs

Right now I'm only running a 3.1 setup, Paradigm Atom monitors, Paradigm CC190 or 290 center and a SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer. At some point in the near future I'll finally buy 2 more speakers to have a complete 5.1 setup.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
So right now I'm running a 7.2 setup that goes like this-

Source (PC) goes to receiver (Denon X3000) via video card's HDMI port; receiver goes to my monitor via "ARC" HDMI. This is pretty sweet since I get to control my receiver via my monitor, and when I move I plan on hooking it up to my TV and using my video card's second DVI input to use both my TV and monitor... Anyway, there's an issue I'm having and that is my music isn't playing through all of my channels; it's only playing via the front two speakers and I get bass when the frequency to the satellites goes below 120hz or whatever (I don't know what the gently caress).

I've done some researching and it looks like my issue is normally solved by enabling an option called "Speaker Fill" that is usually associated with the soundcard (or the onboard audio drivers). However, since I'm outputting a raw audio signal via HDMI, I have no option to do this. YouTube videos play out of all channels, games play out of all (applicable) channels, Windows recognizes all channels and clicking each speaker produces sound at that location, but MediaMonkey only plays out of two channels. How can I remedy this? One of the main reasons I got this setup was to play my music from. Is buying a 7.1 soundcard the only solution? A Google search for "HDMI soundcards" doesn't return anything encouraging, and my receiver doesn't take 3.5mm for anything like that (which is what most soundcards use as output it looks like).

Any ideas?

Edit: fixed my atrocious, in-a-rush, spelling.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 2, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whats a good sound bar that doesnt have an external sub?

I am looking at a Cambridge audio model with built in subwoofer for my parents - anything out there thats going to have good frequency range and not be too bulky?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll do my best to answer all these tomorrow morning. Overworked and under slept right now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laserface posted:

Whats a good sound bar that doesnt have an external sub?

I am looking at a Cambridge audio model with built in subwoofer for my parents - anything out there thats going to have good frequency range and not be too bulky?

I'm really enjoying the Polk N1 soundbar. Cheap, not too ugly. Sounds good for what it is.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jonathan posted:

I'm really enjoying the Polk N1 soundbar. Cheap, not too ugly. Sounds good for what it is.

like, suitable for listening to CDs/radio and not sounding like a television?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TheEffect posted:

Any ideas?

Music is a 2-channel affair. It's being reproduced correctly right now.

If you want one of the faux-surround modes, press and hold MUSIC on your remote and choose one that pleases your ear.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Hob_Gadling posted:

Music is a 2-channel affair. It's being reproduced correctly right now.

If you want one of the faux-surround modes, press and hold MUSIC on your remote and choose one that pleases your ear.

Thank you!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laserface posted:

like, suitable for listening to CDs/radio and not sounding like a television?

Yes, it has bluetooth, and RCA analogue and digital spdif inputs. It has music, movie and games EQ modes. It goes loud enough for parties, and for general music listening it has enough bass and clarity.

Worlds better than any TV.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheEffect posted:

Thank you!

Yup, what HOB said. Personally I like listening to Dolby Prologic II Music mode, which mixes some of the music to the surround and center channels in a very smart and pleasing way. I also use 5 channel stereo which basically sends music to all the speakers. I use this when im using the surround system for music when we have people over in the bar area behind the theater.

If those modes still don't work, it could be an issue covered a few pages back. Let us know and we can point you to the posts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whatupdet posted:

I'm looking to update my current Denon receiver as it's quite old and does not have HDMI, looking to spend $300 before taxes. Am I safe in picking any cheap Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo or are there some I should avoid at all costs?

Here's a few I'm looking at:
$200 Denon AVRE200 375W, 4 HDMI, 2 composite
$300 Onkyo TX-SR313 325W, 4 HDMI, 2 component, 5 composite
$300 Pioneer VSX-823-K 400W, 6 HDMI, 3 composite, banana plugs

Right now I'm only running a 3.1 setup, Paradigm Atom monitors, Paradigm CC190 or 290 center and a SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer. At some point in the near future I'll finally buy 2 more speakers to have a complete 5.1 setup.

As long as they have enough hdmi and other connections you should be fine and happy,

however, for $300 you can get a hell of a lot more out of a receiver than those if you're interested in refurb units.

Check out accessories4less.com. A quick check showed this for a good price:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr2112ci/denon-avr-2112ci-7.1-integrated-network-a/v-surround-receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr609/onkyo-tx-nr609-7.2-channel-3-d-ready-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

That Denon is a great receiver, and has Audyssey XT calibration which can bring your setup very close to reference quality playback of movies and music.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ended up getting a sonos playbar and sub. After they heard the difference it made they definitely wanted the sub.

The N1 was the nicest non- sub option though, that's for sure.

Paired with a samsung 55" 6400 and samsung bluray player.

Now I get to have all the fun setting it up for them.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Ooookay I need some help.

Own: vintage gear (marantz 2230, turntable), 5 yr old tv, some speakers. All I do is stream stuff from online or play downloaded content.

Please suggest for me one or more of the following:

1) A modern receiver whose only requirements are that it does 3 channel sound and has a phono stage. I seriously don't need anything more than that. I love my marantz but I can't put a center channel in it. I can't justify having two sets of audio gear.

2) A crazy way too expensive wireless solution like Sonos. Keep in mind all I have is vintage equipment so if it (Sonos, etc) needs to plug into a modern stereo to handle power or multi-channel, I don't have it and would need to buy it.

3) Some miniature solution, I don't know if this exists, like a little class T amp that has a built in phono stage that would be super barebones? I don't know anything about these other than my friend said "you should check out micro T amps."

The biggest driver is size. I am sick of having lugged vintage receivers around for 10 years. I could drop 1,000$ on this problem but I would rather get a small mewing baby amp that solves the two problems (phono stage, 3 channels+) that is the size of a side salad than spend a grand on a bunch of annoying poo poo that needs calibration or will die in 4 years.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not an Anthem posted:

Ooookay I need some help.

Own: vintage gear (marantz 2230, turntable), 5 yr old tv, some speakers. All I do is stream stuff from online or play downloaded content.

1) A modern receiver whose only requirements are that it does 3 channel sound and has a phono stage. I seriously don't need anything more than that. I love my marantz but I can't put a center channel in it. I can't justify having two sets of audio gear.

2) A crazy way too expensive wireless solution like Sonos. Keep in mind all I have is vintage equipment so if it (Sonos, etc) needs to plug into a modern stereo to handle power or multi-channel, I don't have it and would need to buy it.

3) Some miniature solution, I don't know if this exists, like a little class T amp that has a built in phono stage that would be super barebones? I don't know anything about these other than my friend said "you should check out micro T amps."

The biggest driver is size. I am sick of having lugged vintage receivers around for 10 years. I could drop 1,000$ on this problem but I would rather get a small mewing baby amp that solves the two problems (phono stage, 3 channels+) that is the size of a side salad than spend a grand on a bunch of annoying poo poo that needs calibration or will die in 4 years.

Not going to suggest a specific product but it sounds like a 5.1 channel home theater receiver with network streaming and phono inputs would solve your problems. Onkyo has some models that do this, I assume the other major brands should as well.

Edit:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr626/onkyo-tx-nr626-7.2-ch-network-a/v-receiver/1.html
This onkyo 626 has phono inputs plus streaming plus bluetooth etc.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 4, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Not an Anthem posted:

Whatever home theater receiver you want, plus one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/TC-750-BLACK-...ds=phono+preamp

Depending on how much size is an issue, maybe one of these Marantz slimlines might work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR150...ds=marantz+1504

I sympathize with the space problem. Must be hard to give up the vintage system. :(

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Looking at Sonos type products, I never get anything close to what I want and it always approaches 1,000$ starting.

I know I should just get a modern networked 5.1 home theatre receiver because 2-300$ is awesome but I wish there was something smaller form factor with less... everything. Thank you for the suggestion jonathan, that's at the top of my list.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Whatever home theater receiver you want, plus one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/TC-750-BLACK-...ds=phono+preamp

Depending on how much size is an issue, maybe one of these Marantz slimlines might work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR150...ds=marantz+1504

I sympathize with the space problem. Must be hard to give up the vintage system. :(

Thanks. Yes. Ditching the vintage gear sucks :( External phono stage is fine given that phono stages aren't really standard on anything. Honestly the two main issues of receiver bulk I have problems with are width and depth. They never, ever fit in 80% of media centers that I want. Sorry, useless complaints, I'm just reorganizing and have no space. I'll post a picture.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not an Anthem posted:

Looking at Sonos type products, I never get anything close to what I want and it always approaches 1,000$ starting.

I know I should just get a modern networked 5.1 home theatre receiver because 2-300$ is awesome but I wish there was something smaller form factor with less... everything. Thank you for the suggestion jonathan, that's at the top of my list.

Thanks. Yes. Ditching the vintage gear sucks :( External phono stage is fine given that phono stages aren't really standard on anything. Honestly the two main issues of receiver bulk I have problems with are width and depth. They never, ever fit in 80% of media centers that I want. Sorry, useless complaints, I'm just reorganizing and have no space. I'll post a picture.

It's that third channel. If you wanted pure stereo that opens things up to smaller gear, as soon as you want a center channel then you're into 5 channel home theater gear.

Hob's suggestion of the marantz slimline stuff is good, it's smaller, but you will have to check the depth. Also their stuff just looks classy, but you would need an external phono preamp.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

This is what I'm working with. My current plan is to get a corner piece of furniture the plant on the right can sit on that houses the receiver and if I'm lucky a turntable, somehow. Usual option of putting receiver under TV is obviously a little hampered.

This is where the vintage stuff is, that cabinet is 100% full of records :( Excuse the mess and computers.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it. Where are the speakers?

e: get a soundbar, set your stereo up somewhere else and stream wirelessly to it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not an Anthem posted:

This is what I'm working with. My current plan is to get a corner piece of furniture the plant on the right can sit on that houses the receiver and if I'm lucky a turntable, somehow. Usual option of putting receiver under TV is obviously a little hampered.

This is where the vintage stuff is, that cabinet is 100% full of records :( Excuse the mess and computers.

That place doesn't look like anything I expected the person in your avatar to live.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Hob_Gadling: they're not setup I haven't had time to set things up :sigh:

Jonathan: A bunch of people in an A/I thread got this at the same time a bunch of years ago.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

I don't get it. Where are the speakers?

e: get a soundbar, set your stereo up somewhere else and stream wirelessly to it?

I'm unfamiliar with logistics of this but am open to the idea. Stream to the soundbar?

IE, get a soundbar that hooks up to TV via optical, set up vintage amp + turntable across room, be able to stream (via some pass through box) from vintage receiver to soundbar? What would you recommend product wise?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Soundbar to TV via optical/HDMI, stereo system in separate room. Get one of these (or similar) and connect it to your stereo:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue...=wireless+audio

Stream music wirelessly from laptop/phone/whatever to your stereo. Blu-Ray/console/HTPC is connected to TV, using the soundbar.

Then one person can watch a movie, another listen to music at the same time. You don't have to fiddle with wires and don't have to give up the vintage gear. It's also relatively cheap and solves the space problem neatly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glad I waited. Pioneer Andrew Jones Center channel is $50 on Amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI

Bookshelf speakers are $90 for the pair, floor standing are now $70 each if you want the whole set.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Do I spy some Laphroaig Quarter Cask? :allears:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ha, Laphroiag, my friends have a good sense of birthday gifts for me. Records and scotch.

edit- I found an Advent 420s receiver with pair of speakers for sale. I want this, but 3+ channel :sigh: Why doesn't anyone do small form factors?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 4, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the marantz 1504 posted above and it's pretty fantastic. I bought it due to size and haven't had any regrets.

I believe the next one up does 7.1 with dual zone speakers an has network functionality.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Laserface posted:

I have the marantz 1504 posted above and it's pretty fantastic. I bought it due to size and haven't had any regrets.

I believe the next one up does 7.1 with dual zone speakers an has network functionality.

out of curiosity - can you hook a PC up to the HDMI at the back and have everything work fine?

I have the 1403 and the sync speed is wrong for the ports at the back, for a PC - so you have to go through the front HDMI unless you don't mind your video + audio being off. This is a bit of an ugly nuisance.

I'm looking to upgrade to an AirPlay receiver but Marantz never got back to me when I asked them the question :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I may have a 1402, I'm not sure and I'm not near it to check.

Never had a pc on it, regardless of that, so I couldn't tell you.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Laserface posted:

I may have a 1402, I'm not sure and I'm not near it to check.

Never had a pc on it, regardless of that, so I couldn't tell you.

I wouldn't expect that the 1402 would be an upgrade from the 1403...

did you buy it this year? The 1402 would be 2-3 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I bought it last year.

I will be home tonight so I will double check.

It might be a 15xx series, Im 99% sure the 16xx was the next one up and out of my price range.

EDIT: I am editing this post to clarify that I have the Marantz 1402 Slimline AV receiver.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 5, 2014