Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

Alternatively, there are a couple pieces of equipment that help monks keep up since they increase your base Strength. Either way, they're the poor man's melee class and take rare drops and purposefully using weaker and cheaper armor with +Strength on to make them even close to being as good as, say, a Samurai with two 25,000 gil swords wearing another 20,000 gil in armor... but on the other hand, you are saving tons of money on equipment.

The issue with Monks is that the attack power of their "weapon" is basically the same as their level (technically it's 3 + Level*2 + a small random factor, but their damage multiplier is halved, so it works out to roughly the same as their level). When you have people in the end game getting 100+ attack power weapons, your level 40-ish Monk feels super anemic.

And no, Kaiser Knuckles don't help because then you're giving up your accessory slot, which should almost always be Hermes Sandals :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mr E posted:

I've been playing through the FFs in order, and after going through FF 1-4 and skipping 3 because I hate it, I've gotten to FF5 GBA, which I've never played. Do monks ever get weaker? I've got Bartz as a monk, and he's tearing through everything currently. Great game so far, I'm not sure why I never played it before.

I just started doing the same thing. I finished FFI on Dawn of Souls (combining it with a Level 11 Class Change challenge), but I am dragging on II. The leveling system is just so meh.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you do the bonus dungeon for II :mrgw:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always had fun giving my White Mage(s) the Barefist ability, so that they punch the enemies to death with their FISTS.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm finally getting around to trying FF9. I want to like it, the characters and setting seem charming, but the battle system is like watching paint dry. The slow spin ups at the start, the weird pauses between every action, a stealing success rate that personally hates you, and hyperactive enemies who want to take two actions for every one your team gets. The delay between telling a character to do a thing, and them finally doing it is agonizing. I think replaying FFX and FFX2 before this makes the delay all the more striking.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Set the timer to Wait and keep the item bag open while your characters animate. The enemies will get regular turn speeds then.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fronz posted:

I hope you do the bonus dungeon for II :mrgw:

You monster.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr E posted:

I've been playing through the FFs in order, and after going through FF 1-4 and skipping 3 because I hate it, I've gotten to FF5 GBA, which I've never played. Do monks ever get weaker? I've got Bartz as a monk, and he's tearing through everything currently. Great game so far, I'm not sure why I never played it before.
Weapons eventually outpace them, but they have sky high Strength and Stamina, plus Counter, so it's worth mastering it, especially for your physical characters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A bit late to the Woolsey chat, but he did make the incredibly crucial decision to name a trio of villains after rock stars instead of table condiments. Only awful anime nerds would prefer the latter.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Son, anime nerds are all over that old metal. Play you some Guilty Gear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

A bit late to the Woolsey chat, but he did make the incredibly crucial decision to name a trio of villains after rock stars instead of table condiments.

He then had an NPC remark that they were "tone-deaf fiends" as well, which was pretty great.

But nooo, the retranslation requires Mayonnaise-domo to scream out for Magus-sama.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

A bit late to the Woolsey chat, but he did make the incredibly crucial decision to name a trio of villains after rock stars instead of table condiments. Only awful anime nerds would prefer the latter.

I'm an awful anime nerd and I can say with satisfaction that you are wrong, bitch.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

He then had an NPC remark that they were "tone-deaf fiends" as well, which was pretty great.

But nooo, the retranslation requires Mayonnaise-domo to scream out for Magus-sama.

Ha, the Chrono Compendium retranslation. I rather like the DS translation, but their poo poo was just weeaboo "GLORIOUS NIPPON" nonsense rather than "more faithful to the original intent". A lot of the SNES fantranslations were that way.

Granted it was better than the "Let's insert profanities all up in Kefka's lines" that was done to FFVI, or the "I bet she's a tiger in the sack." that convinced people Tales of Phantasia was a raunchy, adult adventure that got ~censored~ when finally released outside Japan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
On the other hand, it's not like the (already crappy) GBA port was very good to begin with.

Still, there's no denying that the late 90s/early 2000s were a hotbed of those sorts of translations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For sure, the GBA port of ToP was hilariously bad. But like pretty much every SNES RPG, it was not even remotely the "Super mature, serious story" that the "Japan!" translation crowd acted like it was.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"I bet she's a tiger in the sack."

God bless you, De-Jap.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

kirbysuperstar posted:

God bless you, De-Jap.

Having played later Star Ocean games before experiencing this translation, I was honestly surprised to learn that these were not based upon the original script.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Having played Star Ocean 2 before playing DeJap's Tales of Phantasia, I was absolutely certain that was a completely accurate translation :v:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Agggggggh, gently caress this Seymour Flux guy. He goes all crazy 3/4 of the way through the fight and then wrecks me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Agggggggh, gently caress this Seymour Flux guy. He goes all crazy 3/4 of the way through the fight and then wrecks me.

He can be poisoned. When he goes apeshit you can summon Bahamut, overdrive, and either KO or deal a shitload of damage and eat the counter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Capsaicin posted:

You can cast Bio on him, the poison actually does quite a lot of damage especially when Mortiorchis is draining from him.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

God bless you, De-Jap.

I honestly can't hate that translation, it's got a kind of charm like some of the other bizarre translations from the era. At least it didn't add any random ARCHE-CHAN like other fan translations I've played.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can cast Bio on him, the poison actually does quite a lot of damage especially when Mortiorchis is draining from him.

What's the point of attacking Motorchris instead of Seymour?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

What's the point of attacking Motorchris instead of Seymour?

When it "dies" it drains Seymour of 4k (3k next death, then 2k, then 1k every death after that) hp. So if, for instance, you deal 10k damage to Seymour via an AoE like Bahamut it'll actually deal 10k + whatever the value of what it drains from him. Given how frickin hard it is to get AoEs outside of Overdrives in this game its not a good strategy to pursue but it can help you deal the final block of damage if need be. Remember, he can't banish if you summon it via grand summon.

Edit: Corrected how much it drains.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 5, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ah, I didn't think of AOE. Only single target.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Ah, I didn't think of AOE. Only single target.

Yeah, by far the easiest way to kill Seymour Flux is to poison seymour, run the fight as normal and once he's at 4k+Bahamut use it to instantly end the fight. Bahamut by default is not damage limited at that point so its very easy to deal around 14k+ damage on the overdrive which lets you effectively skip his bullshit phase.

Honestly, Seymour Omnis annoyed me way more because a) you have to use ranged techniques to rotate its stupid colors and b) its attack pattern takes forever, god.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 5, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ha, the Chrono Compendium retranslation. I rather like the DS translation, but their poo poo was just weeaboo "GLORIOUS NIPPON" nonsense rather than "more faithful to the original intent". A lot of the SNES fantranslations were that way.

Granted it was better than the "Let's insert profanities all up in Kefka's lines" that was done to FFVI, or the "I bet she's a tiger in the sack." that convinced people Tales of Phantasia was a raunchy, adult adventure that got ~censored~ when finally released outside Japan.

I believe there is a clean version of Brave New World now, where all of the added swearing is removed. I can see Kefka as the swearing type, but I am so used to the original translation it felt weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Don Gato posted:

I honestly can't hate that translation, it's got a kind of charm like some of the other bizarre translations from the era. At least it didn't add any random ARCHE-CHAN like other fan translations I've played.

It holds a special place in my heart, along with twenty different cuss-filled versions of Legend of the Super Saiyan.

And now that I've managed to find nostalgia for bad ROM translations, I'm gonna go shoot myself in the face.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

And now that I've managed to find nostalgia for bad ROM translations, I'm gonna go shoot myself in the face.

There's no shame in that there's probably a lot of shame in that

I too have a lot of nostalgia for Phantasia/Star Ocean/Bahamut Lagoon DeJap translations, and the miscellaneous Filena/Live a Live/SaGa/Front Mission/Fire Emblem translations that were very hit-or-miss

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The Super Mario RPG offensive language romhack, fuckin' A, man :allears:

it's not a turn of phrase found in my area, so for a while, I thought everyone was saying, "Fuckin' a man"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

The issue with Monks is that the attack power of their "weapon" is basically the same as their level (technically it's 3 + Level*2 + a small random factor, but their damage multiplier is halved, so it works out to roughly the same as their level). When you have people in the end game getting 100+ attack power weapons, your level 40-ish Monk feels super anemic.

And no, Kaiser Knuckles don't help because then you're giving up your accessory slot, which should almost always be Hermes Sandals :colbert:

Doesn't this mean the bard level up song should make them viable endgame?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always had fun giving my White Mage(s) the Barefist ability, so that they punch the enemies to death with their FISTS.

Barefist is amazing early on because fists hit harder than basically anything, and it gives you both the ability to use Fists AND the STR of a monk. It even raises norma; weapon damage if you give it to someone like a White Mage.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well sure Hero Song can help monks deal up to 19998 damage per turn, but considering that other classes/combinations are doing up to 79992 damage per turn or just straight up preventing the enemies from being able to hurt you at all, they're still pretty lackluster.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, at level 99 (via bardsong) with no bonus strength gear, and let's say against tree-form Exdeath, you're looking at:

Attack power: 3 + 99*2 + rand(0...[99*2/8]) = 201-225
Defense: 35
Multiplier: (99 * 54 / 256) + 2 = 22

[(201...225) - 35] * 22 = 3652 to 4180 per punch.

Xenogenesis posted:

Well sure Hero Song can help monks deal up to 19998 damage per turn, but considering that other classes/combinations are doing up to 79992 damage per turn or just straight up preventing the enemies from being able to hurt you at all, they're still pretty lackluster.

Hero's Song can only take someone to level 99. You'd need !Mix to break through to level 255.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 5, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Don't know how I did it so easy in 02, but finally loving got Catcher Chocobo and lightning dodging. Now to just grind out the sphere grid, Zanmato some superbosses and this plat is mine.

Then I get to plat FFX-2 :shepface:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dubious posted:

Don't know how I did it so easy in 02, but finally loving got Catcher Chocobo and lightning dodging. Now to just grind out the sphere grid, Zanmato some superbosses and this plat is mine.

Then I get to plat FFX-2 :shepface:

"Grind out the sphere grid" is not nearly as easy as you're making it sound :v: You have to do it for every character, and fill out every empty node

Also you have to beat Dark Yojimbo legitimately but if you're grinding the grid it'll be easy.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

What is the best party for FFX International? I'm replaying it for the first time in a long time and I want to kill the Dark Aeons and poo poo. Please do not include Lulu because I am sure as gently caress not dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rikku for her broken-rear end Mix, Yuna for Aeon access, and I think you can toss whoever in the last slot. I think most people use Auron because his Celestial Weapon isn't completely bullshit to get. Wakka's Attack Reels are pretty popular but only if you're willing to deal with Blitzball.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wakka is the best physical attacker yeah. Once you max out stats everyone is identical except for overdrives and Yuna's summons, and Wakka has the most damaging overdrive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Only if the fight's long enough and your party's bad enough that you need to use that song.

I did roll Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage for my first FJF, and that song did beef up the Monk quite a bit against Ex-death. Bard was easily the MVP of that party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My first FJF was Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist. Aside from the initial hurdle of Thief, it was gloriously broken and overpowered. I spent a long time at the beginning of the final boss fight, unnecessarily buffing myself to high heaven for shits and giggles.

Bard's agility song is even more overpowered than their level song if you can draw the battle out long enough to do its thing. Since agility dictates how much of the ATB bar starts out pre-filled once you take a turn, once you pump that up enough, you basically have like a 95% full ATB bar after every turn and are just acting constantly.